A look into past updates/Jagex time management.

Johannas

FunOrb and MechScape are seperate teams to RuneScape. MechScape and RuneScape share a core engine so RuneScape has benefited from development work done for MechScape - for example MechScape can be thanked for RuneScapeHD. They've been hiring new staff for MechScape since June 2006, and it has a team of 70 dedicated people working on it. I'd also argue that the later RuneScape quests are much better than the earlier ones, so it is a case of quality over quantity. You could also cont stuff such as mini-games alongside quests.

Yep, they spend wayyy too much on CR for reports, and people STILL whine about it. =D>

That's my old version. Go with this more accurate and current one:

JagexStaff2.jpg

But even this is out of date, so it is best to just look at the official credits.

Source please? I'm assuming your either an undercover employee or working on inside information, as the most recent CEO interview available states:

The Q1 2009 thing was something Iddison said a long time ago. Recently Jagex said they expected it to be out 2009, that it was playable but not yet complete, and that they had a lot more work left to do on it.

So what would happen if they halved CR and doubled development? More whiny noobs would complain about not being able to contact Jagex, and the rest of us would twice as many updates.

Devs get paid more than customer support, so you couldn't just say that you'd have 20 less CS and 20 more devs.

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

Did anyone look at the 5 pictures of life at Jagex?

office1.jpg

office6.jpg

Nice computers!

I am also curious about the software they use. Does anyone wanna help me find out more?

To unspam:

I think Jagex are doing a great job with Runescape and funorb, especially with mechscape on their hands..

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

i thought last year was awesome for updates. this year so far has been...disappointing at BEST.

This Year is fixing bugs, and they MIGHT bring a new skill

a70kf.png

Divine Forces | #DF on irc.seersirc.net | Most Motivated |

http://rs-df.com/forums

they're performing great as a company, they're making quite a bit of money, building their fanbase, and giving us updates that WE want.

they have been fixing quite alot of bugs- and your forgetting the achievement diaries- an AMAZING update to runescape (each of these should probably be counted as 2-3 quests in your 'quest count')

and for the record, 2005 might have brought a lot of new quests into the game, but many of them were dead-end, almost pointless quests which were rushed in development because of complaining "higher levels"

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Funorb has a team completely separate from RuneScape's development. Same deal with MechScape. And I bet the vast majority of people have never even tried funorb games.

More on topic: I too have been quite disappointed with updates since 2005-2006, the quality has really gone down a lot, they've become more and more infrequent, and communication has been lowered (recent diaries have next to no information in them). These last two years in particular have been barren, with Mobilizing Armies delayed 5 months now and many glitches and bugs emerging.

Did anyone forget this graph:

timeline_part1.gif

They've got something even bigger than summoning on the way if I'm not mistaken.

2496 Completionist

I too feel that all the little bug squashing and feature updates such as much better pathfinding and less random events so far this year make it one of the better years in my books. Maybe we'll get more bank space and another bank revamp such as customizable bank screen sizes one of these days ::'

6he242p.jpg

"Be Excellent To Each Other"

i thought last year was awesome for updates. this year so far has been...disappointing at BEST.

i agree but i think they might be doing things we havent noticed yet or when the ceo changed they didnt have any ideas to wrok of. hopefully things will pick up soon.

and as for how many quests and skills that have been released over the years i think you should show mini games, most of them are as big as most quests if not bigger.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Organisations get less efficient as they grow. Doubling the staff will not get double the work done. If you hire more staff, you start needing MORE staff to supervise and train the junior staff. Even within the Support team, there'll be people organising shift rotas, supervising junior Support workers, etc. They can't all be working on Support work all day long.

That's sort of right. I've noticed that as websites expand their staff to the point of it becoming more like a corporate figure, the rate of bugs and miscommunication increases. Ah, the plague of progress.

8f14270694.jpg

Funorb has a team completely separate from RuneScape's development. Same deal with MechScape. And I bet the vast majority of people have never even tried funorb games.

You and the author are assuming too much. How do you know how many RS players play funorb. I play funorb as much or slightly less than RS, and funorb is always a good place to relax from the constant stress of training in RS. Don't assume that because the majority of multiplayer games in funorb have few players so funorb is unpopular. Look in the lobby of arcanists or armies of gielinor.

Jagex is wasting far too much of their resources on customer support. I mean seriously who cares about most of those people. If jagex cuts down on those customer support staff, they can spend more time on the game itself, improving it so as to shut those whining noobs up (yeah right fat chance). A small bug in ANY reasonably major update will flood the forum with complaints. And some noobs even complain that jagex is keeps too many things to themselves and don't spend resources on public relations... WTH

You and the author are assuming too much. How do you know how many RS players play funorb. I play funorb as much or slightly less than RS, and funorb is always a good place to relax from the constant stress of training in RS. Don't assume that because the majority of multiplayer games in funorb have few players so funorb is unpopular. Look in the lobby of arcanists or armies of gielinor.

I play FunOrb more than RS now. Arcanists is the poster game but AoG is dwindling. There are only a few thousand active players compared to hundreds of thousands of active scapers. I think that a lot of people rag on funorb because 1) they've never tried it and 2) they think its development affects RuneScape.

2496 Completionist

I have to say that I am grateful for that huge number of help desk employees. Without them, the Stolen Password system would not work as efficiently or quickly as it does now. Usually, the system recovers your account within an hour; fast enough so that your stuff isn't harmed. I think this is very important to many players.

However, I would really like to see the release of Mechscape by Q2 at the latest.

guideicon.png