Facebook runs very slow, ways to speed it up?

Hawks

When I log into facebook it takes forever to load the homepage (not the 'anyone can sign up' one, the personal homepage). Is there a way to speed up the page loading? On both of my computers it's slow, although it's faster on the XP than the 2000. On both I'm running IE (I think 6 on the 2000, and 7 on the XP) and Norton Internet Security 2003.

Are there settings you can change in Facebook to get it to load faster or is there something I can do to get it to load faster on my computer?

Facebook has a lot of scripts and checks always happening in the background, so it could be the PC.

If you could post the results of the speedtest and post your computers specs (theres a sticky on getting them) it would help us a lot.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

HURR DURR GET FIREFOX. The evangelical attitude of some of you is getting on my nerves. Just because you use Linux, use Firefox or whatever doesn't make you a geek, a techie or anything. Most of the time you're just self-righteous and pretentious.

1) It would be helpful if you did as Dracion1 said and took a speed test. This would determine whether or not your Internet as a whole is laggy, or (and answering part of my second question), if it's just Facebook.

2) Is this problem isolated to Facebook alone or do you have problems with any other sites that make heavy use of scripting for applications, players and such? Other examples would be YouTube and possibly other social networking sites. I can't really think up any more examples at the moment, but if anyone else can, I would be most grateful.

3) Ping Facebook. On either machine, go to Start > Run, and type cmd[Caution: Executable File]. If you've never used cmd before, don't be put off - type:

ping www.facebook.com

and either take a screenshot of your cmd window or post your results here.

If it looks like mine:

facebookping.jpg

you are fine. Don't worry if your ping isn't the same as mine; I live in the United Kingdom, and I think Facebook is hosted in America.

4) Just an addendum - are your machines connecting to the Internet through your router/modem using an ethernet cable, or are you using wifi? Just out of curiosity really, because if you use wifi, do you have any connection issues? I'm currently on wifi and I have a few problems with my router's wifi dropping out, but if you have a strong signal and a consistent connection, then you shouldn't worry.

5) Addendum #2: if you do all of this, and it's still slow, do as JoeDaStudd has said and post a screenshot of the specs of both your machines.

Hope I could be of any assistance.

Perhaps if said "Try Firefox" instead? If he tried another browser it would let us know if it's simply IE handling the scripts badly that's causing the problem, any alternative would do, it just so happens that Fx is the most popular one.

Anyway, having thought about it might be more to do with system specs. I know OP mentioned he was using 2000 and had Norton so I'm guessing he's using an older PC. Norton is infamous for using system resources, and iirc it integrates some features into IE, so that might be the cause of the problem. It might be worth trying a more lightweight AV if none of the other solutions work.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Perhaps if said "Try Firefox" instead? If he tried another browser it would let us know if it's simply IE handling the scripts badly that's causing the problem, any alternative would do, it just so happens that Fx is the most popular one.
Yeah, if it was less forced, I would have much less of an issue with it.

454985849.png

That's my internet speed, I'll run it on the other computer as well. This is the XP laptop, it's connecting wirelessly.

[hide=ping results]mlp9gk.jpg[/hide]

It's isolated to Facebook, I can use DeviantART fine, and it is similar to fb in that it has a lot of unnessecary crap in it. YouTube is fine as well.

Also I can't download FireFox because my dad is dumb and thinks IE is the answer to everything, doesn't belive free programs work, etc. And I can't download anything because I have a restricted account on both computers.

EDIT: I can't find the sticky you're referring to, do you just want me to run dxdiag?

Here's the speed test from the 2000:

454996302.png

[hide=ping results win2000]5y5fk6.jpg[/hide]

The 2000 is connected to the router with some sort of cable... sorry for the vagueness, I've got no idea how it works.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be high and righteous but from personal experience facebook loads much faster with FF than IE.

And It doesn't have to do with ping: yours is faster than me. It simply has to do with running the scripts on your end. (I think)

In that case I think Firefox and Add block plus and different antivirus is the way to go, but I don't know how far you ware willing to go.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Your internet speed isn't a problem, my net's much slower and facebook is fine for me. If you can't install Firefox, then why not try Firefox Portable? It's the same as the real thing, the only difference is it installs in one place, useful for memory sticks.

And yes, just go to run and type 'dxdiag', and then take a screenshot of the window that comes up. Is Norton on both computers or just one?

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

OP said he couldn't download Firefox, because he's on a limited account and his dad won't let him; which is why I suggested Fx portable. That doesn't really help much, we're trying to establish if IE is causing the problem, not which browser is fastest.

draciontheman.png

Portable suite is useful anyways (it's on sourceforge)

And chrome doesn't deal with scripts well in my opinion although it's irrelevant.

HURR DURR GET FIREFOX. The evangelical attitude of some of you is getting on my nerves. Just because you use Linux, use Firefox or whatever doesn't make you a geek, a techie or anything. Most of the time you're just self-righteous and pretentious.

It's been proven often enough that Firefox renders web-pages better than internet explorer, and now, more and more websites are getting developed for Firefox, not IE.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

It's been proven often enough that Firefox renders web-pages better than internet explorer, and now, more and more websites are getting developed for Firefox, not IE.

It's not for Firefox they're being developped, it's for common browsers (except IE, which renders differently and gives headaches to the developpers).

It's not for Firefox they're being developped, it's for common browsers (except IE, which renders differently and gives headaches to the developpers).

*Worship's Opera*

Anyway maybe you could try using opera or safari, or tweak firefox with some add-ons to help you (I know there's a guide in this forum about firefox addons)

ib7rVm.png

Safari is just bad IMO

Safari does real well with scripts so I guess you oculd try it too. But idk if there is a single executable...

m.facebook.com

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]