What has happened to Tip.it!?

Captainkidd

It's not that bad imo. I just dislike the people who feel they have to put their name under every post.

I was going to say that too.

I don't like posts that are like

you stink

get a life person...

i have 2 bil drag dr0ps

but there aren't that many thankfully.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, threads like these will never solve anything and come up way too frequently. All forums have problems like these and sure, tipit has its share of idiots like every other site in existence. We'll never get rid of them, and as runescape continues to expand and fansites like us continue to get discovered by new players, we will have a constant flow of newcomers (which is good for the site) and in that flow there will be a few bad apples. Get over it, don't lose sleep because of it. This is where the mods come in. Their job is to worry about the stupids of tif. Your job is to not get in their way and keep up a good morale and reputation of the siter and contribute to the community. Threads like these that point out what's blatantly obvious to everyone who's been here for more than a few months don't do anything to solve the problem. And why is it that so many people think that they're tipit veterans because they've seen some spam in their short time and thus believe they've seen the golden age of tipit declining? It irks me to no end.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I know what you mean. I mostly just post in OT nowadays. I'm getting sick of all the idiots posting facepalming pictures and "OVER 9000!!!!!!!" comments in the Runescape areas. And "in b4 lock" posts. If you're going to post in a thread that's going to be locked at least contribute to the thread by saying where it should go, or why it's going to be locked and how to make a better thread next time.

People have always been saying that the community is getting worse and is heading for the dump. The fact is that this community is awesome and always will be :D

Of course there is the "problem" that as the community is getting older, there is a larger proportion of people who no longer play Runescape to those who do, but that only encourages the growth of the OT and as there are plenty of new people joining every day the RS discussions stays as varied and vibrant as ever.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

I think a lot of people have been taking a break from RuneScape/playing less because of the new slow year of updates, like me. I just come to read TIF every once so often. There are a lot more people who just read the forums instead of constantly contribute.

TIF's biggest problem is that it takes itself too seriously. Whilst it might be unfair to compare TIF with the RSOF, the RSOF is a hell of a lot more fun due to the randomness, no sycophantic behaviour towards mods/high post counts, much larger population, etc.

*cracks fingers*

Okay...

I think people notice this change as they get older and more mature themselfs. There have always been people who flame and spam, but with tip.it growing in numbers it seems worse. I will say there seems to be a few people on these forums who constantly troll.
Agreed, though from others responses I don't believe this is just my maturity finally noticing this.

I haven't noticed anything super bad (especially on the level of the RSOF), but if your intent is to restore Tip.it to a former glory, not feeding the trolls is one way to get rid of 'em.
I guess my intent is to at least bring notice to the problem and perhaps stumble upon a solution, maybe more.

It seems like there are more and more people just posting in a thread to make others feel bad. [example] I hope I didn't miss the entire point of this thread.
I agree, the "internet tough guy" seems to be coming out more in people.

It's not that bad imo.
What do you mean by "not bad", are you saying you notice it, it's just not on the level you've seen on other forums?

Just because a select few here want to create a bad experience doesn't mean that the majority here overall are a friendly bunch.
That's where I think your wrong, well half. I don't think all of these problem comments/threads are causes by a select few "bad eggs"., I think majority of the posters make negative, hateful, "troll" posts on a semi-regular basis and that there ARE people who just do it constantly and possible those are the people who need to be targeted?

I know what you mean, & I agree (to an extent).

Some people like to belittle others to make themselves feel intelligent, or big. Maybe it's just a temporary stage

I agree! Except the part about being a temporary stage, as I don't think this will go away on it's own, I think it could only get worse.

I made a thread in help and advice and got trolled by many. Anyhow, as a community or anything grows bigger the chances of betray/grief/greedness and all bad things a human can have increase.
In fact I started to notice this in the Help & Advice forum where every post I clicked on burned by eyes. Two plus pages and the person STILL needs there question answered, or the same answer has been said 30 times. I get what your saying about how the community gets bigger the bad things come up more often, but it that were true they would still be put down by all the good things.

I think the reason why people do this is because they are immature and think it's funny.
This could be the leading cause for it all, though how could we make them realize that it isn't? (Setting a good example like others have stated is one idea)

If you feel it's so bad that you see bad comments "in almost every thread", then help the staff and report it, so that we may take the appropriate action.
I don't think that most of the content is bad enough to be reportable, it's just causes a negative feel about the forums.

So maybe, it's time for us to become those role models, if you really want to change something.
I agree.

Honestly, threads like these will never solve anything and come up way too frequently. Threads like these that point out what's blatantly obvious to everyone who's been here for more than a few months don't do anything to solve the problem. And why is it that so many people think that they're tipit veterans because they've seen some spam in their short time and thus believe they've seen the golden age of tipit declining?
So you believe that if you can't succeed in something for certain, and easy, you shouldn't try? I hope the last comment wasn't directed towards me...

If I didn't comment on your post it's because I couldn't offer my opinion about it, and hopefully everyone who did post will read my responses.

~ Captainkidd

I do agree, however, this exact post seems to cycle through TIF every half a year or so.

But as compfreak and a few others stated above, the older more respected players move on, i never thought at the time, but i miss having qeltar around to stir up some competative arguments, it was fun to have well thought out, critical posts that weren't spam or one line arguments with him. There are lots of other users who brought the same to these forums. As said, we need to move on to be the next role models. I do try to make my posts as constructive as possible (with the addition of alot of spelling mistakes but they've been with me for years :) ). We need a few more threads such as the adamant chain vs torso thread, the last few pages of that had some great argumentative posts, comon comp, get some more going.

I will also add, i have recently noticed the 'bad eggs' you mention, but they seem to be in groups more than single people, which is a bad thing, as it limits the ways you can get rid of them from the community. When a bad egg is on their own and nobody sticks up for them they go quickly, but when they have just one person sticking up for them, they will tend to stick around for quite some time.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

maybe jagex reaching out to tip.it wasn't as great as we'd hoped.. they've found our sanctuary.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Meh, I don't care about the "new" tip.it. infact, sometimes the posts and threds are fun to read that were made by them.

good chuckle now and again. :thumbup:

timmyx50sig1.png

Thx AquaMare for the amazing sig!

[hide=Clicky!]Points2Shop

it's ligit, ive used it. hey, its a great way to kill time. :)[/hide]

[hide=drops and stuff.]Bandos drops: 2X Shard 3, 5X Bandos Plate, X1 Bandos Tasset

PROUD owner of the fire cape since October 9th, 2008

6X Black Mask Drops[/hide]

It's not that bad it's just that the group of trolls always post on everything and it causes a flame war. Stupid things like "the game" have realy brought this forum more towards the gutter and with the trolls these days it's not as good as it war. Now tip.it does their best and they have banned a troll recently which was good to see them gone for a bit.

Also as comp said most of the intelligent people that joined years ago have quit and moved on to better things. That, the trolls, and 4chan have made this forum way more spammy and flame prone than it was when I started. Once the group of trolls gets banned for too much trolling we'll see the forums have less of the 3 page flame fest on the Picture sticky and see more quality discussions all over the forums.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I think it's fine, just more spammy post and such, though as Master Smither said, there is more spam than a couple of years ago.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

TIF's biggest problem is that it takes itself too seriously. Whilst it might be unfair to compare TIF with the RSOF, the RSOF is a hell of a lot more fun due to the randomness, no sycophantic behaviour towards mods/high post counts, much larger population, etc.

Thats not really a problem, the fact that Tif takes its self seriously is one of its greatest attributes as far as Im concerned. I your looking for randomness nad general BS then RSOF alreadly exists for than. When you actually want to see some intellegent opinions on whats going on in RS than Tifs much better, you dont need to sift though loads of crap to get to a post that makes sense.

I get what your saying but a the fact that the RSOF already has such random stuff means Tif doesnt need to copy it.

As far as the "communitys going to Rat-[cabbage]" arguement goes I really dont agree. The are ocassional peaks in general moronity but overall I'd say Tif is as good as its been since I've been a member (granted, not ages) and since Ive been visiting the forums.

I guess its hard to gauge though, really it boils down to an individuals experiences on the boards. If you end up incountering alot of idiots then your opinion of Tif and the community is gonna drop.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

It's not that bad it's just that the group of trolls always post on everything and it causes a flame war. Stupid things like "the game" have realy brought this forum more towards the gutter and with the trolls these days it's not as good as it war. Now tip.it does their best and they have banned a troll recently which was good to see them gone for a bit.

Also as comp said most of the intelligent people that joined years ago have quit and moved on to better things. That, the trolls, and 4chan have made this forum way more spammy and flame prone than it was when I started. Once the group of trolls gets banned for too much trolling we'll see the forums have less of the 3 page flame fest on the Picture sticky and see more quality discussions all over the forums.

Finally, someone else mentioned 4chan...

lalalasig2.png

I say what I think, and people tend to not like that, so they call me a troll. Quite sad.

Troll.

Seriously, this started happening a while ago and surely it isn't going to change by making a topic about it. I used to be childish aswell back when i first registered.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

Brings back memories of hohto's (sorry if i didn't spell correctly) thread.

Believe it or not all one can do as a person is set the example and let the mods take care of the rest. Don't feed a conversation that will escalate. It's tempting but just take the first step.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Finally, someone else mentioned 4chan...

Ya I can't stand the game, mudkipz, and over 9000. I see it as plain spam because it's not productive at all.

When people tell me they heard I like mudkipz I want to shove that mudkip up their anal passage #-o

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Captainkidd,

I must say I completely agree with you. For the past few weeks I have thought long and hard about creating a topic like this and I wondered what type of reaction the community would have. I'm glad to see you have the same thoughts as I and have taken the first step to do something about it.

I remember when I first came to Tip.it, I truly did notice how helpful and unbelievably smart everyone here was (I was still new to RuneScape). Now, over the years, I've noticed how a trend of "I'm a sarcastic, rude, selfish, in-your-face, poster" is drastically growing. Many posters like this will support eachother and gang up on another poster and make rude and sarcastic comments

The biggest trend is that many posters here will boast about being extremely sarcastic and will completely overdo it in every post they make. Also, many, many, many Tip.iters pride themselves about how "open" they are and how they "say what they think" and do not care one bit if it is hurtful, rude, or insulting - because it's their opinion and they have a right to an opinion. Well, not everyone's opinion should be spoken aloud.

The Tip.it community is going downhill, whether we want to admit it or not.

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

Tip.It continues to grow, and so does the amount of trolls and little kids.

The most friendly communities are the small ones. When we have too many people, there are more to manage, and not as much attention can be given to individual people.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I haven't noticed anything super bad (especially on the level of the RSOF), but if your intent is to restore Tip.it to a former glory, not feeding the trolls is one way to get rid of 'em.
I guess my intent is to at least bring notice to the problem and perhaps stumble upon a solution, maybe more.

Alright...well... I don't know a decent solution off-hand, simply because there's no real way to go about this. People can be (and still are to some extent) rude, immature, thoughtless, and inconsiderate of other people, or their opinions. What's the way to educate them? I don't know if there's a definitive answer to this - no matter which forum you go to, the smart, considerate people are always the minority, and they're always shrinking at an alarming rate.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Tip.Its becoming bigger, and if you think about it, its alot easier to post a spammy troll post then a well-thought out one. So more trolls are posting and the forum heads downhill.

There is nothing you can do.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

N_Odie speaks the truth. If you see something turning into a flame war or a spammy thread, report it as soon as you see it and a Mod will deal with it. Posting pointless "Inb4lock" etc replies to spammy threads only pushes them to the top of the page, whereas if you don't post in it, it will drop a couple of pages and be forgotten about until a Mod deals with it.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I say what I think, and people tend to not like that, so they call me a troll. Quite sad.

Sometimes you speak a bit "Too Much from your Mind" which is what gets you into the troll acusations. I've noticed it alot and its not you either, alot of players/users are starting to get it.

Basically N_Odie right. all we can do is Report the wrong things, get along like before and hopefully understand each other (too some point obviously).

Now for a light-note of things.

[hide=]Did you know N_Odie Hides in Crates near the GE?

Did you know Smither Once ate a Gold Bar?

Did you know I made these Facts up? :)[/hide]

Popoto.~<3