Music in RS

Amundogus2

I think they need to get off MIDI files and get into MP3s. Maybe some real instruments?

As mentioned earlier, this would be way too expensive to pull off. They can't afford orchestras with a mainly free game, and a cheap members game...

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play with the music on all the time when I was nooby. I was also F2P for the longest time, so tracks around Falador, the air alter, and the mind alter bring back TONS of memories.

Good memories. <3: I kind of miss it. :cry:

One of the real problems with rs's music is how few of the tracks you here. You go around your Runescape day with music on, and hear the same song for several hours at a time. The music overhaul, however long ago that was, was a step in the right direction, but it could go farther. Personally, I can't stand aviansies partly because the music there stinks, and it's a hassle to find other music via youtube or my radio.

If I want to listen to a good song, I have to find it. None of the good songs go with the good training areas. :wall:

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Some tracks, usually the newer ones I like, such as Clan Wars, Stealing Creation, The Root of all Evil and so on. But some of the older ones, like the gnome and dwarf ones sound like a 4 year old hitting random keys on a £3 toy piano.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Some tracks, usually the newer ones I like, such as Clan Wars, Stealing Creation, The Root of all Evil and so on. But some of the older ones, like the gnome and dwarf ones sound like a 4 year old hitting random keys on a £3 toy piano.

OMG Fanfare lol

That's why i turned off all sounds 3 years ago. Never looked back.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

:lol: I'm sorry but the last one made me laugh out loud. I used to have one of those tiny pianos as a kid too.

I just tried to listen to "Starlight" (the music in the Ice Caves) and got sleepy from it. :? Some of the newer stuff has been okay like "The Art of Hocus-Pocus" and "Cavernous Mythology" (although this one reminded me of Zelda, music and quest itself LOL). "Fanfare" and "Parade" make my eyes twitch in annoyance. :oops:

Ha, I know what you mean. The Route of All Evil is a great track, especially for a MIDI, I often use it for training sessions.

Why not approach music in the same way as Jagex has approached graphics? Make every song (and everything that would benefit in quality for being an MP3) have two versions, a MIDI file (Low Quality) and an MP3 (High Quality) for faster computers. That way those who can handle it ,which I reckon would be a fairly large portion of the Runescape population, will get some sounds coming from this game that are hopefully fairly decent, and yet we won't lose the accessibility factor for those with lower-end computers. Music is one of the few things left in the game that still frankly isn't very good compared to other games of this genre.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Ha, I know what you mean. The Route of All Evil is a great track, especially for a MIDI, I often use it for training sessions.

Why not approach music in the same way as Jagex has approached graphics? Make every song (and everything that would benefit in quality for being an MP3) have two versions, a MIDI file (Low Quality) and an MP3 (High Quality) for faster computers. That way those who can handle it ,which I reckon would be a fairly large portion of the Runescape population, will get some sounds coming from this game that are hopefully fairly decent, and yet we won't lose the accessibility factor for those with lower-end computers. Music is one of the few things left in the game that still frankly isn't very good compared to other games of this genre.

I like your idea very much. I think the game would get a whole new dimension if music would be updated to MP3. The same counts for movies. Everything's a whole lot less interesting if you turn the music off.

Furthermore, I like to play every new quest and all the new content with RS music on, it's just part of the fun for me :).

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

Well, I had not played in a few months, and when I had, I didn't have music on. I remember when I first started playing (years ago) that I always listened to the different songs. Then when I first became a member on my very first main, I turned it off and started listening to the music I listen to normally. I can't remember why though :? . Anyway, this thread made me go back for a while, just so I could hear some of that music again :thumbup: .

I think the new music is excellent compared to before, although there are still some old tracks that are very good. :)

Some Favorites:

Temple Desecrated (epic, perfect for the boss fight and final ending to WGS, recommend to anyone who needs some good background to action)

Root of all Evil/Route of the Problem

Chosen Commander tracks

Clan Wars

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I really like the music. And recently the music has been masterfully done in my opinion. The problem with mp3s are that they can be a few megabytes. With almost 600 songs that is way too much to download. And the creation for new quests/areas coul;d be pushed back months. midi files can be created without an orchestra. A midi file is like a formula to re create a song where as an mp3 is an actual recording.

Rubber chicken, you're the one,

who makes Runescape, so much fun!

Would be fun if jagex brought in biological warfare... Or even Tesla coils.

I like to eat cake while excruciating!

I don't know what the difference between Midi and MP3 is, but if it's a big improvement it certainly would be interesting to see them launch it. I do agree that some of the older songs (Fanfare :wall: ) are downright annoying.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Flute Salad and Harmony brings back lots of memories whenever I hear it. I also found Don't Panic Zanik quite soothing ::'

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I'm tired but I'll say I agree quests from the last few years have had much better music than the old basic tracks that play when you walk through towns and roads.

My Favs:

Zombiism

Alternative Root

The Sound of Guthix

Other good ones I have written down:

The Throne of Bandos

Have an ice day

We are the Fairies

Isle of Everywhere

Impetuous

Grip of the Talon

Garden of Autumn

Fire and Brimstone

Find My Way

Volcanic Vikings

Every 6 months or so when I'm bored I'll go in order playing every song in the list until I fall asleep, writing down good ones as I go, then playing them back later and removing ones that aren't as good as I thought. So those ^^ tracks should be pretty nice. I trust my list.

Tell me if you like those too.

My favorite are fight or flight and dagannoth dawn.

IMHO

The music sucks now, at least the older music. I enjoyed them much more when they were midis. I have a hude archive of music from a few years back before they changed to higher quality wavs or whatever they use now.

The older tracks suck now, and are better in wav format, where the newer ones are better in the current format

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I'm tired but I'll say I agree quests from the last few years have had much better music than the old basic tracks that play when you walk through towns and roads.

My Favs:

Zombiism

Alternative Root

The Sound of Guthix

Other good ones I have written down:

The Throne of Bandos

Have an ice day

We are the Fairies

Isle of Everywhere

Impetuous

Grip of the Talon

Garden of Autumn

Fire and Brimstone

Find My Way

Volcanic Vikings

Every 6 months or so when I'm bored I'll go in order playing every song in the list until I fall asleep, writing down good ones as I go, then playing them back later and removing ones that aren't as good as I thought. So those ^^ tracks should be pretty nice. I trust my list.

Tell me if you like those too.

Thx, I'll have a listen when I get the chance =)

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I really like the music. And recently the music has been masterfully done in my opinion. The problem with mp3s are that they can be a few megabytes. With almost 600 songs that is way too much to download. And the creation for new quests/areas coul;d be pushed back months. midi files can be created without an orchestra. A midi file is like a formula to re create a song where as an mp3 is an actual recording.

Still, MIDIs aren't really good enough in the games of today. No matter how you put it, we're past Super Mario. How do other MMO's do it then? :-k

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Still, MIDIs aren't really good enough in the games of today. No matter how you put it, we're past Super Mario. How do other MMO's do it then? :-k

most of those games have to be installed on your computer . You can play rs from your browser without installing anything than java . That's how they do it :P

I personally think they did a great job on the sounds, especially the latest ones. I'd imagine the Runescape sound techies are always looking for new techniques to convey a theme through a soundtrack, whilst intergrating it into a browser based game :thumbup:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

most of those games have to be installed on your computer . You can play rs from your browser without installing anything than java . That's how they do it :P

WRONG!

Go to any windows folder and paste this in

C:\WINDOWS\.jagex_cache_32\runescape

If anyone wants to download some of the rs midis from 2006, I found it at fileplanet. About 400 songs, under 12mb

http://www.fileplanet.com/157955/150000 ... usic-v1.26

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I'm probably one of the few folk here that recalls the old, old music tracks from WAY back when (I'm talkin' post-RS2 beta), and I've gotta say, the tracks have significantly improved over the years. Keep in mind, my tastes in music are eclectic; I'll be listening to trance one moment and probably have metal on in the next, then probably Classical for all I care, but for whatever reason, I usually enjoy the sounds in RS.

One of the major reasons that they won't move to a MP3 format is simply due to file size. Someone posted a(n) [evil, evil evil] link to 400 songs at under 12MB. Do you think you could achieve that kind of compression on a single MP3 (let alone 400), and let it still sound good? If you figure it out, I'd be curious to learn; I want to stream my music to my laptop in such a way that it doesn't affect network performance too much. :P

FWIW, the quality of sound with these MIDI files is actually decent.

A handful of my favorite songs:

Sound of Guthix

Technology

Fe Fi Fo Fum

Fanfare 3

Attack 5

Tears of Guthix

Claustrophobia

... and about 400 others. Not many songs in RS [or RL for that matter] that I reject with a passion...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.