Music in RS

Amundogus2

What format does RS use now? They aren't midis... I'm thinking VERY low bitrate wavs

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What format does RS use now? They aren't midis... I'm thinking VERY low bitrate wavs

Probably not; think smaller. It's probably OGG with some low quality, or some super-fancy way of doing MIDIs...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Probably not; think smaller. It's probably OGG with some low quality, or some super-fancy way of doing MIDIs...

Wouldn't that require client side installation of the .ogg codec? Seems unlikely.

I've seen this as well. The most boring and irritating music centres on areas that have been around for ages (or since RuneScape was created), like Lumbridge and Draynor (I hate 'Harmony' with a passion), and the most exciting and appropriate ones are in recent quests.

I'd like it if they overhauled some of the earlier tracks.

Most of the time I leave mine off, but if I ever have the music on I must admit: I quite like the ones from Lumbridge and Draynor. They fit into a medieval theme, which is good. I remember when I first ever played the game, the track from Lumridge never left my head and I personally thought it was a great opening music track to pull the player in.

libertherme.png

I'm probably one of the few folk here that recalls the old, old music tracks from WAY back when (I'm talkin' post-RS2 beta), and I've gotta say, the tracks have significantly improved over the years. Keep in mind, my tastes in music are eclectic; I'll be listening to trance one moment and probably have metal on in the next, then probably Classical for all I care, but for whatever reason, I usually enjoy the sounds in RS.

One of the major reasons that they won't move to a MP3 format is simply due to file size. Someone posted a(n) [evil, evil evil] link to 400 songs at under 12MB. Do you think you could achieve that kind of compression on a single MP3 (let alone 400), and let it still sound good? If you figure it out, I'd be curious to learn; I want to stream my music to my laptop in such a way that it doesn't affect network performance too much. :P

FWIW, the quality of sound with these MIDI files is actually decent.

A handful of my favorite songs:

Sound of Guthix

Technology

Fe Fi Fo Fum

Fanfare 3

Attack 5

Tears of Guthix

Claustrophobia

... and about 400 others. Not many songs in RS [or RL for that matter] that I reject with a passion...

Yeah, that's why I suggest approaching it in the same way as graphics, it's not a vital part of the game. Clearly some computers aren't going to be able to handle the download, so they can still have their MIDIs. But it would be nice to make the game more immersive for computers than can. The MIDI-ish versions are decent, but you can't deny that they would be better as orchestrated MP3s, which would lift RS quality wise back into the popular MMOs of today. :thumbup:

Besides, Jagex is situated in Cambridge. If that isn't an opportunity to get a great orchestra of music students, I don't know what is. :)

~ W ~

sigzi.png

most of those games have to be installed on your computer . You can play rs from your browser without installing anything than java . That's how they do it :P

WRONG!

Go to any windows folder and paste this in

C:\WINDOWS\.jagex_cache_32\runescape

If anyone wants to download some of the rs midis from 2006, I found it at fileplanet. About 400 songs, under 12mb

http://www.fileplanet.com/157955/150000 ... usic-v1.26

Wow, for some reason those midis sound MUCH better than the current music quality, they're just more catchy. Why did they change this??

Kuja_Cocoa.png

If anyone wants to download some of the rs midis from 2006, I found it at fileplanet. About 400 songs, under 12mb

Good find!

Back when I was trying to max out Mage Training Arena, I did a side goal to accompany that. It was to listen to all of the RuneScape tracks from start to finish. Needless to say, I found some very good tunes that kept me sane through the ordeal.

I am really happy with the songs RS has as it is. Over the years me and my friend have found some great songs that we like, and we share new ones with each other if we find we like one. My favourite (sort of oldie) song is probably Mutant Medley, even though lots of the new ones are much better with atmosphere thanks to the upgrade in technology. The Root of the Problem/All Evil are also fantastic tunes.

As for upgrading, im not sure if the cost to Jagex would benefit them in the long run, considering recording and then having only half the population bother to download them. I think it would be nice though to have an optional music pack to download if we want, maybe a few hundred megabyte in size or even larger! Then we could tick a box in game to request the music files directly from our PC instead of the applet, if they did upgrade I would enjoy that method of implementation. (sp)

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

I am really happy with the songs RS has as it is. Over the years me and my friend have found some great songs that we like, and we share new ones with each other if we find we like one. My favourite (sort of oldie) song is probably Mutant Medley, even though lots of the new ones are much better with atmosphere thanks to the upgrade in technology. The Root of the Problem/All Evil are also fantastic tunes.

As for upgrading, im not sure if the cost to Jagex would benefit them in the long run, considering recording and then having only half the population bother to download them. I think it would be nice though to have an optional music pack to download if we want, maybe a few hundred megabyte in size or even larger! Then we could tick a box in game to request the music files directly from our PC instead of the applet, if they did upgrade I would enjoy that method of implementation. (sp)

If it was ever done, I expect this would be the best way. It would add an increased memory requirement to players wishing to hear the MP3 versions, but that's to be expected. Updates involving new tracks will have to take slightly longer, but it's a one off and not too common. Once it's downloaded, the MP3s wouldn't be intrusive to the performance of the applet. Nice. :thumbup:

P.S. Even if it was only available half of the population, that is still a hell of a lot of people.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I've been playing since classic and I am just now listening to the music for the first time on purpose. Wow :S It's pretty bad. It kind of reminds me of those keyboards you could get at sears that had a demo button that would play some cheesy song so you could move your hand along with it and amaze your freinds.

siggye.png

most of those games have to be installed on your computer . You can play rs from your browser without installing anything than java . That's how they do it :P

WRONG!

Go to any windows folder and paste this in

C:\WINDOWS\.jagex_cache_32\runescape

Wow, for some reason those midis sound MUCH better than the current music quality, they're just more catchy. Why did they change this??

They changed it because sometimes, midis sound diffirent depending on your system and sound card. They changed so it had a universal sound..

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

The epic awesomeness of "temple desecrated" cannot be matched :thumbsup:

I personally like Runescape music

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I listen to it from time to time; some of the songs aren't half bad. I just prefer my music more lol. The runescape music player is pretty lame, whenever you move the song resets even though they were supposed to have fixed that. :|

I don't care who you are, but...

ANIMAL APOGEE IS TEH BEST RUNESCAPE TRACK EVA!

Temple Desecrated, Throne of Bandos and the track for the chaos tunnels will always be my favorites :thumbsup:

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Yeah here is the file from Fileplanet that I uploaded to Megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1G8M2BJC

Don't download if you don't trust it, I don't really care, but it is the real thing. The songs are from several years ago, so they have changed almost all of them to the songs that are in the game currently. Also, they are only like 410 songs (esitmate), so nearly 200 songs have been made after these were copied.

Its great quality btw, and I prefer the old ones anyway...Castle Wars is epic...

Big_Stingman.png

My favourites are:

Scape Santa

Adventure

Sea Shanty 2

And that Castle Wars one is awesome too.

Then there are those music that I cannot stand listening for more than 10 seconds.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

My list of favorites:

Waterfall

Temple of Light

Temple Desecrated

The Sound of Guthix

Strength of Saradomin(First D Boot drop almost put me in tears, after a few hours of getting owned trying to solo Bandos and Sara)

Understanding(before any of the music updates)

Background(also before music updates)

Animal Apogee(another near tears experience as I saw the obelisk light up for the first time)

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.