Jagex & Tip.It Interview discussion thread!

das

What a useless Jagex interview. Their policy about keeping future updates a "surprise" makes them talk like politicians. Never answering questions just talking around them. Do they really think it would be so bad to let us in on what they are planning in the future?

This was really a pointless read due to the empty answers from Jagex.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that tells me how much?

Tell me, how long is a piece of string?

Just like they did with the Dragon Axe, I want figures. Not just some vague "slightly faster woodcutting" like has been used until that Q&A. Likewise, I want to know just how much a RoW influences drops. A roulette wheel won't suffice in the slightest.

go kill 1k gargoyles with row then 1k gargoyles w/o row and then crunch the numbers to find out how many mauls and rfh's u get/1k kills with each and hope that stays true to all monsters/drops cause jagex aint gonna give you numbers

You'd need to kill an infinite number of foes to know for sure.

Also, why wouldn't they give numbers? What's wrong with knowing a number?

They told us how much better a Dragon Axe was compared to Rune.

This is information they can hand out (it's not future content) which only they know. Ideal for a dev interview.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Oh bah, no actual answers just [kitty]footing around!

At the same time however, adding high-level content is something that shouldnt be taken lightly, and we would want to cater for our skillers as well as stimulating Runescapes economy.

Yes or no? No real answer.

Ah well, I am glad RS now encourages fansites. :thumbsup: You know, in other games they even link to the fansites on the game website and its allowed to mention the fansites in game and forum. RS is so strict nowadays that you can't even direct people to your blog or whatever. I welcome any and all changes that makes the RS rules less strict on fansites.

I'm pleased that have things planned, but I am actually tired of waiting. The last updates have been rather dissapointing and I am getting fed up of waiting two weeks for "PayBySMS now available in..." #-o

Just hurry Jagex, hurry ;)

What a useless Jagex interview. Their policy about keeping future updates a "surprise" makes them talk like politicians. Never answering questions just talking around them. Do they really think it would be so bad to let us in on what they are planning in the future?

I think its because mainly Jagex HQ doesn't even know what is in store for updates. They don't want to say "so and so is going to be an update in the future" because then they get people saying "whats taking so long Jagex!" and "OMG stop all other updates and finish this one! I like it more!".

Hopefully in time as the Diaries become more numerous it will change that.

But as for stuff like the Ring if wealth, I do agree, I don't see whats so hard about just giving us a number. I mean they calculated how many chickens could kill Jad! Saying how much a % the ring helps wouldn't be all that difficult or change the game at all.

I just want Runescape to be less of a mystery and more of a game. A puzzle is never fun of you are only given half the pieces to solve it. Sure you might figure out what the picture is, but it would be nice if we could just have all the pieces.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Question 27

What's the most expensive thing you've ever broken in Jagex, (RuneScape wise?)

I accidentally introduced a bug which involved a player getting locked into combat during a souls bane. They logged out and couldnt log back in for days as the account was perpetually locked in combat until we gave their account a nudge (and fixed the bug as well of course). Ooops!

-- Mod Tim

:evil: The player Tim is talking about was me (Blimpyboy2). I had just entered one of the last areas of the Soul's Bane dungeon, where you're constantly under attack (assuming you have decent defense, all the attacks would constantly just hit zeros on you). My ISP hiccupped, and I lost connection. When I tried logging back in, it gave me the message that I was still logged in from my previous session and to wait 60 seconds and try again. That went on for 3 straight days. I filed a customer support query (back when those still existed) and a bug report, neither of which received a non-generic reply. So until this day, I had no idea what had happened, nor how it had been resolved. I tried logging in on day 4 and, Lo and behold, my character was standing outside the chasm, barrows armour fully depleted, but inventory otherwise completely intact.

As a side note, I followed up with a second customer support query, asking if my account would be credited the 3+ days I spent being unable to log into the game. That one did get a specific reply, telling me that Jagex policy prohibited them from crediting customers for problems they experienced due to problems with their ISP. :wall:

I don't know why people are saying the interview was a waste of time, Tipit didn't ask the right sort of questions.

Yes future content in store are wanting, but I think it's pretty set in stone that Jagex aren't going to change policy about keeping stum.

I mean, construction skill added 100,000 members into Jagex's kitty, and it was probably the most well kept secret they've had yet. Nearly all other skills released in RS2 have had some forewarning. (that number I believe I read of a reptuable general gaming site).

But I notice this thread has a few other things floating about, namely things that aren't on a need to know basis (things like wealth ring and dragon axes). Jagex do have the stats, but IMO it's best for the player themselves to do the research, and I think several years of testing has proved the wealth ring does help, and the dragon axe is better than rune, 17.5% was the figure given somewhere, the betterment figure between all axes (bronze-iron, mithril-addy example).

Not a bad interview, but as I said, more thought provoking questions to produce thought provoked answers. Not, "Yes we're bringing out a desert quest, Yes, here comes Ardougne achievement diary, here comes x skill". I mean it's good to anticipate things, but the chaos elemental was written by a Jagex staff, so clearly Jagex aren't so watertight as they make out in interviews.

And the start to 2009 has been boring to say the least...

Interesting read, BTW if they are interested in contact with TiF too, maybe the gallery can make a big piece of art for them.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Personally, I wanna know what criteria they use to determine what day of the week they decide to release an update. For a very long time it was only on mondays, now I can't remember the last time an update was on a monday.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Question 8

Any details as to any kind of major update to Magic (new spellbook, runes etc), or have we pretty much reached the saturation of the skill?

I think we fairly regularly release the odd spell. Rune-wise, theres quite a lot to be getting on with, but I wouldnt be surprised if another spell book pops up! I was lucky enough to add the Lunar Spell book which I really enjoyed. I[t] think because with magic, the possibilities are pretty endless -- Mod Tim

I really hope they update Magic SOON. The combat triangle is SEVERELY unbalanced right now, and most people know it. A think a new spellbook, possibly with spells that have a higher max hit and other special effects would help to balance the combat triangle.

1-800-Magic.png

sp00nedqm6.png

Question 8

Any details as to any kind of major update to Magic (new spellbook, runes etc), or have we pretty much reached the saturation of the skill?

I think we fairly regularly release the odd spell. Rune-wise, theres quite a lot to be getting on with, but I wouldnt be surprised if another spell book pops up! I was lucky enough to add the Lunar Spell book which I really enjoyed. I[t] think because with magic, the possibilities are pretty endless -- Mod Tim

OMFG CONTEMPORARY SPELLBOOK FTW ITS COMING HOLY COW OMG!!!!one!!!!eleven!!!!

Well, that settles it then. Just don't kill my optimism for this one, pretty please. :pray:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't know why people are saying the interview was a waste of time, Tipit didn't ask the right sort of questions.

Yes future content in store are wanting, but I think it's pretty set in stone that Jagex aren't going to change policy about keeping stum.

I mean, construction skill added 100,000 members into Jagex's kitty, and it was probably the most well kept secret they've had yet. Nearly all other skills released in RS2 have had some forewarning. (that number I believe I read of a reptuable general gaming site).

But I notice this thread has a few other things floating about, namely things that aren't on a need to know basis (things like wealth ring and dragon axes). Jagex do have the stats, but IMO it's best for the player themselves to do the research, and I think several years of testing has proved the wealth ring does help, and the dragon axe is better than rune, 17.5% was the figure given somewhere, the betterment figure between all axes (bronze-iron, mithril-addy example).

Not a bad interview, but as I said, more thought provoking questions to produce thought provoked answers. Not, "Yes we're bringing out a desert quest, Yes, here comes Ardougne achievement diary, here comes x skill". I mean it's good to anticipate things, but the chaos elemental was written by a Jagex staff, so clearly Jagex aren't so watertight as they make out in interviews.

And the start to 2009 has been boring to say the least...

I agree these where not the best questions.

You could have asked questions like:

Will you fix the problem that members face when they become free to play, and there items crowd the bank making it impossible to place new this in it, or when we withdraw a member item by accident we have to carry it until we renew membership, then something like the Easter 09 event comes up?

Is sailing in our future?

When Smoking Kills was released did Range receive cheap and very effective broad bolts, melee got the Broad leaf sword, and the beloved Slayer Helm. Magic received nothing to help in player versus environment.

Will you do anything to stop GE manipulation by such small clans?

The sailing one is a joke, but you get my point.

Which brings makes me ask; did Tip have good time to plane for this interview, or was it a surprise to the Tip.it staff?

Prism_Swords.png

Found some of the questions rather....stupid.

Why ask 'When will the new BH be introduced?'?.

I'd have preferred a question like 'How are you going to implement a drop&loot system that reflects what the person was wearing and stop RWT at the same time?

• 3 weeks later...
Question 25

Does Jagex plan to do anything with clan websites, such as white listing them?

Players mentioning safe websites/fansites in-game wont have any action taken against them. We will still be taking swift action against players who advertise dangerous or inappropriate websites.

-- Mod Hohbein

The white-list of fan-site that can be named on the RuneScape Official Forums (RSOF) is here:

* General > Fansite support information

* Quick find code: 14-15-436-58600794

This list was added on the 12th of May on:

* Page 26 of that thread

Hi all,

Lots of you have been requesting we include a list of fansites which you can discuss on the forums, and you'll notice we've just included a list of recognised fansites on the front page of this thread. These fansites aren't necessarily being actively supported by us, but you may discuss them on the forums. If you discuss a fansite that doesn't appear on this list, your forum post may be hidden.

Cheers,

Mod Hohbein :)

Of course sites listed will be ones that make all efforts to remove and combat Terms of Service breaking material, while sites that don't obviously will not be getting listed. It's possible that a site might be removed later if problems arise that can't be solved, or if it falls into the wrong hands, but those issues will be dealt with privately by Jagex, and hopefully there'll be a place to report such issues confidentially soon, that don't involve public disavowal that we've seen on that sticky since the white-list was added.

This should encourage more fan-sites of the calibre of Tip.It to flourish. Sites that promote cheating/exploits and support RWT/Hack-sites may find it difficult to get listed, unless they're prepared to address any issues that Jagex may raise with them.

Hopefully more sites follow Tip.It's example, which to my mind has been a solid one over the years I've been a user of this fan-site.

~ Fey

edit: one too many uses of the word 'hopefully' - fixed.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

What I wish though is for players who support different Fansites to be supportive of the whole RuneScape Fansite community rather than being advocates of one or another site:

* General > Fansite support information

* Quick find code: 14-15-436-58600794

I won't express and opinion about this other than the fact that if I saw a problem with either Tip.It or the other Fansites I do have accounts on, I'd raise it with the owners/administrators of the site first rather than posting things that could potentially damage the reputation of that Fansite.

Thankfully though most players have been great and not sought to bring others down in order to elevate those they prefer. That's one reason why I've not specifically mentioned any sites regarding this issue, as I realise that sites can change, and things have improved in general with this initiative, which has been great to see.

*sighs*

~ Fey

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg