Training useless Skills

nerdboyxxx

Just something that gets on my nerves sometimes when training certain skills (Im looking at you Herblore). What am I going to do with Herblore when I get it to 99? I spend 100M (where the hell am I going to get 100M?) to get it to 99. Now what? I just lost all that cash. Herblore is useless now, you cant make cash with it. Wow, you can make your own potions. You can buy them almost instantly on the ge for heaps cheaper anyway. It doesnt bother me all too much, but it seems impossible to get half of the skills to 99 if you dont have a spare phat lying in your bank which you can sell to fund it. Or I can go smith for a year to get 300M from cannonballs and in the process get 99 Smithing. No thanks.

disturbeda.png

I enjoy construction. I'll have spent 120m on it soon. Each coin worth it. I find the skill to be fun, and it has personalitiy: no two hosues are the same. It's so original, but not useful after gilded alter. Why do I do it?

For fun. I enjoy it.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Just train them slowly as you gain more supplies through other skills and the like. I do that with skills like crafting. Nobody is forcing you to buy all of the supplies, nor are they forcing you to train the skill in the first place.

mmhmm...same here....when i make about 1-2mil in a small period of time (2-4 days), i usually spend about 1/3 of it on skills. So what if you can't get anything out of it...i thought the whole point of getting a skill to 99 was to brag to your friends about the fact that you have a skilly. Plus, with skills like herblore, many people get bored of it, so getting that skill to 99 would really make someone jealous...lol

div>

Yes, I admit that I dislike useless skills such as Crafting, but I still train it from time to time.

Why?

Simply because for the fact that I want a decent total level.

All the other skills, I seem to enjoy in some way. Heck, I even enjoy other "useless" skills like Firemaking and Smithing.

Firemaking- I light the logs I get from Woodcutting

Smithing- Superheating

Even if you dislike a skill, you still have to train it someday. Otherwise it's no good.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Zamorak Brews profit last time I checked :thumbup:

Just train them slowly as you gain more supplies through other skills and the like. I do that with skills like crafting. Nobody is forcing you to buy all of the supplies, nor are they forcing you to train the skill in the first place.
It's better to sell the ingredients you have. You'll get more money.

The most stupid thing you can do is collecting the ingredients on purpose. It's actually faster to collect the money by high level methods (killing aviansies or god bosses, double nat rcing) and buy the ingredients.

It's better to sell the ingredients you have. You'll get more money.

The most stupid thing you can do is collecting the ingredients on purpose. It's actually faster to collect the money by high level methods (killing aviansies or god bosses, double nat rcing) and buy the ingredients.

Selling them doesn't train the skills, which is what this is about to begin with. Using the stuff and selling the finished product is still pure profit. And if you're killing something that drops the ingredients anyway, you're not really collecting them "on purpose".

I never train usless skills. I have zero concern about my total level, I have no desire to sit in a bank for 10 hours just to increase my total level. To me, a bought cape has no value. I would rather slay for a week than buy a cape.

It costs money to get those expensive capes, but as the op pointed out, the skills are worthless. You can't make any sort of profit. There are few situations where it is more practical to make a potion rather than to buy one. It is literally smart not to train half of the skills in the game, unless you want to train them.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Using the stuff and selling the finished product is still pure profit.

That's children's logic. In reality you are still losing.

Ranarr weed is worth 6815 gp, so picking it up is the same thing as picking up 6815 gp in cash or some other item that is also worth 6815 gp. You can swap them at GE.

If you pick up a ranarr weed, snape grass (342) and a vial of water (79), you have picked up 7236gp worth of wealth. (That's the same thing as picking up about 3 addy bars from aviansies, which is faster than picking those ingredients.)

When you turn them into a prayer potion, you only have 6739, so you lost 497 gp worth of wealth, even if you collected the items yourself.

The origin of the ingredients (bought or picked yourself) does not change the loss or profit you are getting.

PS. Time = money = items = XP, so why not use the fastest money making method you have and buy all the stuff needed to train other skills rather than slowly collecting all items yourself?

Ranarr weed is worth 6815 gp, so picking it up is the same thing as picking up 6815 gp in cash or some other item that is also worth 6815 gp. You can swap them at GE.

If you pick up a ranarr weed, snape grass (342) and a vial of water (79), you have picked up 7236gp worth of wealth. (That's the same thing as picking up about 3 addy bars from aviansies, which is faster than picking those ingredients.)

When you turn them into a prayer potion, you only have 6739, so you lost 497 gp worth of wealth, even if you collected the items yourself.

The origin of the ingredients (bought or picked yourself) does not change the loss or profit you are getting.

PS. Time = money = items = XP, so why not use the fastest money making method you have and buy all the stuff needed to train other skills rather than slowly collecting all items yourself?

If that's children's logic, then you use infant logic?

You get more than 1 ranarr per seed... last time I checked the average is about 6.5herbs/seed. It's cheaper to grow your own stuff.

The ability to be able to take a toadflax herb off the ground, and turn it into something like a saradomin brew can be highly beneficial in the long run.

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

The ability to be able to take a toadflax herb off the ground, and turn it into something like a saradomin brew can be highly beneficial in the long run.

Zomg u faund teh todeflx respwn??

I'm not trying to be mean :twss: I'm pretty sure that herblore was like smithing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't herblore used to be profitable?

Actually, that is pure fact. Since you lost nothing in the gaining of the ingredients, there is no negatives in the expenses column. A reduced pure profit is still a pure profit.

Your an idiot.

Example.

Player [developmentally delayed] gets 1 mill worth of various ingredients.

Player [developmentally delayed] makes potions, he now has 800k worth of potions.

Is he better off before or after, clearly hes better off before, which means making potions effectively reduces your net worth and thus is "useless"

Example 2.

Player extremely [developmentally delayed]ed gets 1 mill steel bars.

Player extremely [developmentally delayed]ed wants to make "money" thinking making steel platebodys makes good money. He now has 500k in steel platebody!

He is alot better off without training smithing, because is net worth is reduced.

O.O

Actually, that is pure fact. Since you lost nothing in the gaining of the ingredients, there is no negatives in the expenses column. A reduced pure profit is still a pure profit.

Time = Money. You use time to gather the ingredients, therefore you lose money too.

Killing aviansies (and using the money you get for the ingredients) is using the time more efficiently than picking snape grass from the ground or killing chaos druids.

Farming is a different thing because you aren't using much time for it, but it is still better to sell the herbs, so herblore is still useless.

People train stuff as a challenge, evenif everything shows that it'll be a loss.

Take for example 99 smithing, you can easily access the skill's benefit by acquiring assistance from another player/ buy from ge WITHOUT spending on smithing at all.

Using the same logic, it applies to fletching, herb or crafting, construction (doesnt benefit anymore beyond 70).

Again its a challenge to people, not just a 'oh I can't do it, its too much' kind of thing.

Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

When i started to do herblore for WGS i had 800k and d axe (bought it for 1,6m) =2,4m. After getting herblore up from 52 to 63 (greenmans ale (m) ftw \' ) i had abot 2m left. I made super strenghts and super energies. I bought my lvls from 59. sold about half of the energy pots and every strenght. I also bought black mask, torag legs and body. after selling ruined slice i had 5m

5000k-2600k=2400k=2,4m

So i made quite a bit of profit

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Money comes and goes in this game.

Skills last forever.

You play long enough, you get all the cool gear. All thats left to spend your cash on is skills. Sounds like you all haven't reached that point yet.

Fools_Taco.png