Do YOU Pirate Music?

Maze

Most music I get is actually free, and is produced by others. I usually listen to Techno music, and I get if off Newgrounds.

When I do listen to other stuff, I do pirate it, though I feel guilty. However, I do buy my songs occasionally because I get better quality music off iTunes.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/min ... index.html

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs. Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

That seems like an extreme fine for 24 songs..

17175_s.gif

[spoiler=Quotes]

Goddammit Monk, stop being so full of win.

I am Monk's [bleep]

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs. Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

My brother told me about that. 1.9 million? Music companies = Greedy.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

My brother told me about that. 1.9 million? Music companies = Greedy.

$1.92M American dollars? Soon that will only be like 50 Euros anyway.

All jokes aside, I don't see how they can justify that fine for her, that in AUD ($2.4M) is 48 years pay at the average wage of $50,000AU is enough till you retire. :|

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

That is some [cabbage].

:wall:

I thought the RIAA stopped going after downloaders.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I stream movies and tv shows online. I also use itunes for music.

I only d/l music if it isnt on itunes (i buy the album if it sounds good as a whole)

I d/l movies if i cant find a stream. they are usually independent or underground films.

99 Fishing

I don't download illegally, but I've thought about it. There's simply too much music that I want, but I can't afford to buy it legally. But I don't trust Limewire, Kazaa, etc.

Torrents?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Spotify > downloading music

Oh yes, every country has access to Spotify.

They do with proxies. :thumbup:

<3 Proxies. I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I use them.

I don't download illegally, but I've thought about it. There's simply too much music that I want, but I can't afford to buy it legally. But I don't trust Limewire, Kazaa, etc.

Torrents?

If you're smart Torrents are safer then buying a CD, with the CD you may get a rootkit....

If I'm going to be bending rules may as well just download. :lol:

If I'm going to be bending rules may as well just download. :lol:

Ehh stopped working yesterday for me after about two weeks. Said my location didn't match my profile. I just made another account. #-o

• 2 weeks later...

The record companies have only themselves to blame?

So who killed the record industry as we knew it? "The record companies have created this situation themselves," says Simon Wright, CEO of Virgin Entertainment Group, which operates Virgin Megastores.

While there are factors outside of the labels' control -- from the rise of the Internet to the popularity of video games and DVDs -- many in the industry see the last seven years as a series of botched opportunities. And among the biggest, they say, was the labels' failure to address online piracy at the beginning by making peace with the first file-sharing service, Napster. "They left billions and billions of dollars on the table by suing Napster -- that was the moment that the labels killed themselves," says Jeff Kwatinetz, CEO of management company the Firm. "The record business had an unbelievable opportunity there.

They were all using the same service. It was as if everybody was listening to the same radio station. Then Napster shut down, and all those 30 or 40 million people went to other [file-sharing services]."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... ys_decline

Interesting way to look at it. I wonder how long till CDs become useless and all becomes digital. For those worry about quality, there's FLAC.

The record companies have only themselves to blame?

So who killed the record industry as we knew it? "The record companies have created this situation themselves," says Simon Wright, CEO of Virgin Entertainment Group, which operates Virgin Megastores.

While there are factors outside of the labels' control -- from the rise of the Internet to the popularity of video games and DVDs -- many in the industry see the last seven years as a series of botched opportunities. And among the biggest, they say, was the labels' failure to address online piracy at the beginning by making peace with the first file-sharing service, Napster. "They left billions and billions of dollars on the table by suing Napster -- that was the moment that the labels killed themselves," says Jeff Kwatinetz, CEO of management company the Firm. "The record business had an unbelievable opportunity there.

They were all using the same service. It was as if everybody was listening to the same radio station. Then Napster shut down, and all those 30 or 40 million people went to other [file-sharing services]."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... ys_decline

Interesting way to look at it. I wonder how long till CDs become useless and all becomes digital. For those worry about quality, there's FLAC.

Or MP3 HD.

• 1 month later...

I have access to a premium Rapidshare account.

So, yes.

Stephen Fry made a very interesting speech on the history and status of copyright laws at the iTunes live festival, and I believe there's a podcast of it somewhere. He undoubtedly says it better than I could.

I use iTunes, but have steered clear of torrents.

These are the two opposite ends of the spectrum, you know. iTunes is totally legal, with a risk of losing your music to DRM, and torrents are totally illegal, with no risk of losing your music. (Unless you get caught, which is really rare. I'm jinxing myself.. :pray: )

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!