The Running Thread

noble_aloof

i'm starting to work on my training plan for summer.

i'm thinking of cross training with swimming and lifting 3 days a week.

once a week i'll have a rest day and once or twice a week i'll have a track workout.

i don't have any mileage or specific daily plans yet. i'll start working on it.

also i was wondering for some advice for weight lifting- namely upper body and core. i have quite a weak upper body and i'm looking to get a little more definition for summer.

edit- basically, i'm looking forward to an intense, dedicated summer free of injury. by the end of the summer i wanna be able to break a 5 minute mile and run a 400 in 55 seconds or less.

i currently run a 5:42 mile and a 60 second 400.. ambitious, i know.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run about a 4:30 mile.
BEAST :thumbsup:

Oh, is it actually a good time? There's about 5 or 6 guys in my team alone that can spank me at anything over 20m! But, I probably have a bit of an advantage over you guys when it comes to training. We don't normally run miles here, we use metric :P

Noble, do you want more core strength, or muscle definition? One can lead to the other, but they are actually pretty separate goals which will have different training and diet regimes.

Those aren't particularly ambitious times at all my man! Mate, in 3 months with some dedication, you can get there easily with time to spare.

SoLawny.png

May I suggest an excellent training session for 400m runners? It's what I used to do when I was an athlete trained by a commonwealth games competitor, and had a consistent 52s 400m.

Do 10*200m with a strict 2 minutes recovery between each. Start with 35 seconds for each, then each session work your way down. Try and get down to 10*200m@30s. It's [bleep]ing brutal :lol:

i enjoy brutal workouts, its just that i seem to get hurt often. and i'm def. looking for more upper body strength, my arms are by far the weakest on the team.

the tough thing about meeting my goals this summer is probably that i want to get a good 400 time but also improve 40+ seconds in the mile and come back as one of the best sophomores for the cross country season (3+ miles each race)

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I'm running a 10k tomorrow...Oh how fun will those 6 miles be...Going to try and get 40 minutes on it...I know I can do 8 miles in 1 hour...

Best mile time for me is 5:13, best 2 mile is 11:25...My cross country coach says my mile for junior year is going to be 4:40 :thumbup:

I'm running a 10k tomorrow...Oh how fun will those 6 miles be...Going to try and get 40 minutes on it...I know I can do 8 miles in 1 hour...

Best mile time for me is 5:13, best 2 mile is 11:25...My cross country coach says my mile for junior year is going to be 4:40 :thumbup:

Have fun.

Ran my 800m in sectionals today. I followed my plan and tried to stay up with the leaders, I ended up staying with the first 3 runners till the start of the 2nd lap where I just died out... I then got beat by two other guys in the last 100m so I ended up 6th with a PR of 2:30.9, up two seconds from my previous one ( 2:33). Hey, at least I tried my best and I now know that there is no way I could have gotten in the top two and qualified for state.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Have fun.

Ran my 800m in sectionals today. I followed my plan and tried to stay up with the leaders, I ended up staying with the first 3 runners till the start of the 2nd lap where I just died out... I then got beat by two other guys in the last 100m so I ended up 6th with a PR of 2:30.9, up two seconds from my previous one ( 2:33). Hey, at least I tried my best and I now know that there is no way I could have gotten in the top two and qualified for state.

That's what I did in the last 2 regular season meets for my 2 mile...Got first each time with huge PR's. I dropped my time like 20 seconds that way.

10k today...I'm post the results if I can :P.

PR'd the 800 with a 2:03, and I [bleeping] won my conference race. So now, I have to go to sectionals with varsity. FML.

Ran a 4:55 in the mile as well; not great, but a steady time, considering 35 mph constant wind.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

PR'd the 800 with a 2:03, and I [bleeping] won my conference race. So now, I have to go to sectionals with varsity. FML.

Ran a 4:55 in the mile as well; not great, but a steady time, considering 35 mph constant wind.

That's Still good.

50:09 for my 10k...I think I went out to hard for the first mile or 2...Goal for next year...45 minutes or so.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to start running, but it never happens :lol: Hopefully I will be able to change that this summer. So we'll see what happens ;)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

nice 800, show varsity how its done ::'

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

i did my first workout yesterday in my pool.

i went to the deep-end to an steep incline on the side. i submerged everything from my neck down and started running up the slope (obviously i didn't get anywhere, kind of like a natural treadmil)

i found that this was an amazing workout to practice deep breathing and even hill climbing. i ended up cramping up after about 6 minutes of this workout but i'll probably end up doing it again today if it doesn't rain.

Godofwar - I was just thinking about this, but what "state" were you talking about? There's no state meet for middle schools.

There are state meets for middle schools...

:?

:? My middle school decided not to compete? Meh.

There are several kids at my old middle school running under the time you said but aren't going anywhere. Weird.

It is, the state meet this year is May 22-23, Friday-Saturday.

most middle schools around here just combine with the local highschool teams due to lack of funding and lack of facilities. its only the 15 year old black kids on creatin or super-dedicated early growers who would have any chance in pennsylvania junior high.

Sad but true.

you just got your 1337th post on this thread. congratz.

I'll be running cross-country for the first time next year. I have conditioning starting in about 3 weeks, but I want to start running before hand. What should I start trying to run per week to start to get in shape. Keep in mind that I have been a lazy bum for months now, so jumping into physical activity again is going to be dificult at first, but once there I can adapt.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I'll be running cross-country for the first time next year. I have conditioning starting in about 3 weeks, but I want to start running before hand. What should I start trying to run per week to start to get in shape. Keep in mind that I have been a lazy bum for months now, so jumping into physical activity again is going to be dificult at first, but once there I can adapt.

i'd say for your first week do something like this:

monday- 1 mile

tuesday- 2 miles

wensday- 1 sub-seven mile

thursday- 2 miles + extra 800 meters working on form

friday- rest

saturday- 3 slow miles

sunday- 2 slow recovery miles

next week:

monday- 2 miles

tuesday- 3 miles

wensday- 1 <6:45 mile

thurday- 3 miles + extra 800 working on form

friday- rest

saturday- 4 slow miles

sunday- 2 slow recovery miles

wensdays try to take it down by 15 seconds each week until you get back in shape (5:45 maybe)

sunday is always two slow recovery miles

saturday you always want to add a mile or add a half a mile and increase pace

thursdays you want to run 200 meters 4x at a sub-six mile pace (thats not too fast for a 200) and you want to work on your form

monday is just an easy day at whatever pace you want. you might want to add hills in the coming weeks

now, this is just a basic plan. you say that its your first season, i don't know how old you are or if you ran track or not. this is a good plan for basically anybody who is somewhat in shape (not overweight) and looking for some pre-conditioning for their first season or after a very lazy few months. i hope it helps.

Our new Cross Country coach told us in a meeting before the season that we have to do one competition outside of school during the summer (Like a 5k 10k etc...) and have a party with team members (which needs pictures)...

Oh how much fun I'm going to have doing this...

i started summer training :D

i ran 1.8mile (hill workout) yesterday in 12:49.. i haven't fallen that far out of shape

we got our "training shecdules" from our coach today. i'll post later.

i started summer training :D

i ran 1.8mile (hill workout) yesterday in 12:49.. i haven't fallen that far out of shape

we got our "training shecdules" from our coach today. i'll post later.

Awesome, My best is like 2 mile is 11:25...but when you add hills it probably like...12 or 13...Possibly 15 to 16 since I'm not doing much...

I used to be pretty decent at running, and have been from the age of 5 one of the quickest in my area. A lot of football from a young age probably helped that.

In middle school, I used to do 400 and 800 mostly. My 400 wasnt bad, top 5 in my school, and 800, I was by far the best. Then at high school, the longest distance was 1500m. I was called up to it as I was the best 800m runner and gave it a shot. It was my first ever super schools, and Iwon by over 200m. Cosidering at that age, I was about 5ft max, at least 5 inches shorter than the rest of the field. I then continued this into cross country, the first time my lack of height and training lead to a disappointing 68th from 170 people. However, the next year, I was back with a bang, and made 28th from 150+ people to progress into the County finals, where to be honest, I had an awful day, finishing 50th from 75.

Since high school, I did very little official running, however, a month or so ago, I took part in a work team relay. I ran my 4.5mile leg in just over 34minutes. Considering I had zero training, and I smoke, and my arms are a little big for my body, I ran in 15th from 47. Maybe doesnt sound too impressive, but considering that most of the teams were actual running clubs etc I thought that was pretty good. I was even told I could easily run more seriously and do well.

Sorry I cannot display my times, but my memory is beyond bad haha

P.s The cross country qualifier was 4k and was completed in approximately 15 mins off the top of my head.

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

I did 10km yesterday. It was my first try (usually do 5km, and 7.5km) so I took it slowly. Got me a time of 47.30. Not bad for a first try I'd say. Wasn't even tired afterwards. Just need to take a few minutes off that time, so I can beat my old man :D

i love to hear people's running stories and histories.

today i ran about 3 miles however something in my watch messed up. i'd imagine i was running around a 6:20 pace for the first two miles then slowed it down for the final mile. i'm done with school now so i'm probably gonna try running 4 days a week, then ease into 5, and possibly 6 by the end of july.