Fletching, firemaking and cooking - Skillcapes of dirt?

RuneAge

Now, many people have mixed feelings about this, but anyway, Ever since the day Skillcapes were officially released there was great excitement across the whole of runescape, and up until this day many people are very proud of there 99 achievement(s), But it has come to my attention that there are three skillcapes that are considered to be "dirt".

As you will know from the title, these capes are Firemaking, Fletching and cooking, why you might ask? Well apparently it is because they are easily achieved and can be purchased for cheap prices (Firemaking cost me 3m, Fletching can be bought it sections, reselling the bows as you go along and the same with cooking) But, is this right, to cast judgement over these three skills? I personally have 99 firemaking, and i always get the odd player come up to me, wether it be a high/low level saying, "What's the point of that 99 in that skill?, honestly, its soo noobish.."

My point is, what do you think about these three skills and obtaining 99 in one if not all of these skills? Please discuss, and i look foward to reading the opinions :)

blogsignature.png

Click my signature for my blog!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think this is the first 'Easy/Noob 99' thread of the month, congrats ::'

Also, I'd only respect those capes if the materials were gathered by hand. I didn't do that myself but then I wasn't desperate for either of the 3 capes like most of the people who get them for are.

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

They're "dirt" because people equate total amount of people with them with prestige. Ignoring that there are more strength, and possibly attack capes than those two... :-w

I gathered all the supplies for my 91 cooking by hand, though, I can say it's not as universally easy as people may think :lol:

I'd only see them as dirt if the person got them for the sole purpose of getting a skillcape, and is never going to touch the skills again. You can tell that most people just stop at or around 99, as a few thousand experience above 13,034,431 is a huge amount of ranks.

I'd only see them as dirt if the person got them for the sole purpose of getting a skillcape, and is never going to touch the skills again. You can tell that most people just stop at or around 99, as a few thousand experience above 13,034,431 is a huge amount of ranks.

True, i achieved 99 firemaking mostly because of the new features/quest at the time (Adze ect.)

Interesting posts, keep it up guys! ::'

blogsignature.png

Any 99 is an achievement. I have 99s but I don't have those particular 99s.

Anyhow, even if they are "cheap", it takes a considerate amount of time to click through to get to those levels.

I also think the emotes exhibited by those capes are quite nice.

Cooking= the longest cape emote timewise.

Fletching= Making a weapon is awesome.

Firemaking= Fireballs are tight.

tomcatgt.png

tenta.png

Runescape, Funorb, "Mechscape" Videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TOMCATLX

I couldn't possibly imagine myself doing 99 cooking or fletching - they're so agonizing.

All comes down to what you enjoy, personally i quite enjoy combat, but i love skilling ::'

blogsignature.png

You play this game either for yourself, or for other people.

If you play this game for yourself, you do not give a damn about what other people think of as "dirt" and what not. A 99 is a damn 99, and you put your time and effort into reaching that accomplishment (if you so choose to call it that).

If you play this game for other people, then you may as well keep your 'dirt' levels at 75 and not enjoy the full benefits of a game.

:) amirite

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

All 99's are a great accomplishment to me. I know some people say "ph, u r noob with a fletch cape, it takes 2 weeks to get" but I spent 4 months on my 99 fletch, and i consider one of my best accomplishments. All capes deserve respect, some more than others, but they still all deserve respect.

2eed07l.png

Tip.It's Official Undercover Agent

I have 99 Firemaking, 99 Cooking, and 90 Farming. Farming will be my next 99, Firemaking was my first. I found Firemaking to be very challenging, and I started feeling like it was more work than fun around level 80. Cooking was much easier, as you don't have to be clicking to get xp. Firemaking is one of the very few skills where you have to be clicking to be obtaining xp. (That's a point I bring up every time this discussion comes around.) Cooking starting feeling like work around level 92, or halfway. Farming is currently a work-in-progress, but up to this point it has been the easiest and cheapest 99 out of the three. Yes, it takes more than twice as long as the other two (depending on your method) but because the time spent is spread out in 10-15 minute increments throughout the day, it seems like much less time, at least to me.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

and I started feeling like it was more work than fun around level 80. Cooking was much easier, as you don't have to be clicking to get xp. Firemaking is one of the very few skills where you have to be clicking to be obtaining xp. (That's a point I bring up every time this discussion comes around.)

Yes by the end of 99 firemaking i was sick to death of clicking :roll:

Interesting replies guys, keep it up.

blogsignature.png

I have 99 Firemaking, 99 Cooking, and 90 Farming. Farming will be my next 99, Firemaking was my first. I found Firemaking to be very challenging, and I started feeling like it was more work than fun around level 80. Cooking was much easier, as you don't have to be clicking to get xp. Firemaking is one of the very few skills where you have to be clicking to be obtaining xp. (That's a point I bring up every time this discussion comes around.) Cooking starting feeling like work around level 92, or halfway. Farming is currently a work-in-progress, but up to this point it has been the easiest and cheapest 99 out of the three. Yes, it takes more than twice as long as the other two (depending on your method) but because the time spent is spread out in 10-15 minute increments throughout the day, it seems like much less time, at least to me.

Farming is basically the skill for people who have busy lives.

That and Manage Thy Kingdom.

But yes, it takes more effort to get 99 firemaking over a 99 melee combat skill.

tomcatgt.png

tenta.png

Runescape, Funorb, "Mechscape" Videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TOMCATLX

Fletching and cooking are looked down upon because not only are they (relatively) cheap (especially if you get 99 wc and fishing, respectively, before like I did :P ) and fast, but they're also afk-able.

Personally, I see firemaking as a great achievement (I can only light a few rows of fires before I get bored :wall: ). Anyone who says it isn't has probably only looked at the numbers and wouldn't consider getting it themselves.

Also, if people are putting firemaking in as one of the 'skillcapes of dirt,' then why isn't theiving part of that list? Not only does the emote suck (imho), but, from what I understand, the exp rates once you get into the 90's are like 200k+ exp/hour and chances are you're going to be making money from it (even if you have to buy the food you're bound to use, you make more than enough from the crap you get to pay for it; and that's not counting the possibility of getting a pharoah's sceptre).

NOTE: I consider all skillcapes achievements and wouldn't put anyone down for having any of the above skillcapes, but I do respect some more than others.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Also they say thieving is a easy one

Soon you gonna see people saying Farming and Hunting are noobish ones too

But it's only because the great rule of the MMORPGs: Lower level is a noob, Higher lvl has no life. So just play the game as you please and don't let other people affect your gameplay.

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

I think Strength, Thieving and Woodcutting are crappy capes too, if it makes you feel better.

There are a few factors that make me (not to force an opinion on people) think of one skill to be worth less - the main ones being how common the cape is, how hard is it to achieve, and maybe the most important one, is the skill itself. Take Firemaking for example. Saying you got it either because you like the skill or some parts of it is lying to yourself, or Fletching, which is like Firemaking, except that you don't move as much.

Strength for example, is hated purely by popularity, along with people that are way too happy (they will tell you happy they are) with it.

In general, I believe that all this grinding should be dedicated to a skill you like, which I doubt is any of the above.

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

I think it is sad that these skills have zero incentive to train past 99. Actually, if you don't value the cape, many of them have no value AT ALL(except for quests).

You will earn my gratitude if you pick one thing about my post above which you would like me to change and send it to me in a private message.

Take Firemaking for example. Saying you got it either because you like the skill or some parts of it is lying to yourself,

So wrong! If you take a look at my guide or if you see me firemaking you would trust me that I'm enjoying FM. Thats why I got it as my first 99 (and beyond).

Also I got 99 cook. Not cause I like the skill but cause it takes no time or attention.

These skills are easy 99s and probably first steps to get used to such time consuming things. After one of these 99s the player could go for a harder skill and set higher goals.

And if you think these skills aren't useful I have to say all skills aren't useful. It's a game!

[404] Signature not found.

Getting a 99 in any skill is still quite a bit of work. I do think it kind of sad when someone gets fletching/fm/cooking just so they can have a skill cape.

I personally got 99 firemaking because I wanted an orange cape/hood.

Meh, let people wear whatever cape they want and get whatever 99s they want.

35b9enp.jpg

I only consider them nooby if they were achieved for the sake of a skill cape.

If you check my stats, you'll see i have 95fm, I only got it because fm was fun to me, but i ended up grinding the skill so much i stopped it.