Party hats - Yellow surpasses green?

superaymond

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The GE has messed with partyhat prices so much... they can't rise or fall normally, and the 1% isn't enough breathing room for the items. I'm really hoping they expand it back to 5% or the hats will always remain either very difficult to buy or very difficult to sell.

lalalasig2.png

The GE has messed with partyhat prices so much... they can't rise or fall normally, and the 1% isn't enough breathing room for the items. I'm really hoping they expand it back to 5% or the hats will always remain either very difficult to buy or very difficult to sell.

It IS 5% now.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

It IS 5% now.

When the Yellow Phat rises 1m and costs around 100m it's definately 1%.

[404] Signature not found.

Probably not, not permanently anyway. For some time now, we've been seing a compression of partyhat prices. Blues (and, to a lesser extent, the other relatively expensive partyhats) still are coming down (especially when you consider their prices relative to cheaper partyhats). The cheapest partyhats (purple and yellow) have been gaining on the others. I see this as a "commoditization" of the partyhat -- a partyhat is becoming a partyhat without as much regard being paid to color. Now that purple and yellow have closed the gap on green, I would expect to see green do relatively better as well. But whatever market forces made blues most expensive and purples least should continue to operate, just in a more narrow range.

punitivedsig.png

Probably not, not permanently anyway. For some time now, we've been seing a compression of partyhat prices. Blues (and, to a lesser extent, the other relatively expensive partyhats) still are coming down (especially when you consider their prices relative to cheaper partyhats). The cheapest partyhats (purple and yellow) have been gaining on the others. I see this as a "commoditization" of the partyhat -- a partyhat is becoming a partyhat without as much regard being paid to color. Now that purple and yellow have closed the gap on green, I would expect to see green do relatively better as well. But whatever market forces made blues most expensive and purples least should continue to operate, just in a more narrow range.

The force was the dupe. Purple (pink in RSC) was the most expensive partyhat until the dupe took place. Purples (pinks) were duped the most because they were the most expensive and blues the least because it was the cheapest. The effect of this was that the most common partyhat became the rares and most expensive partyhat.

I really think GE Screwed up the normal market. It is not about supply and demand anymore, it is about how often a transaction is made that makes the price go up. Which isn't normal. There is probably less supply of green than yellow and yet yellow is rising faster.

I'm not quite sure you understand the concept of supply and demand then.

Just because there is a less supply of something does not mean it is worth more/more of a demand for it. Put it to you this way. I just drew a picture of a stickfigure, with one arm. Only picture in the world like that. Sell it to you for $1m? I don't think so...No demand for it.

It is about supply and demand. If yellow is rising faster than green, then there is more of a demand for yellow.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

There cant be more then a few thousand of each of the colors of party hats. Like the guy above me said I think it might have begone to level out, so that its a party hat worth a good amount of money not its a (put a color here) party hat and its worth more then this hat and that hat but less then some other hat. Anyway I always had my yellow p hat from classic that i got when the crackers were dropped. Its the color i happened to end up with and i always though it was the best becuase it doubles as a golden crown making me a king... And no im not selling or trading it...

I really think GE Screwed up the normal market. It is not about supply and demand anymore, it is about how often a transaction is made that makes the price go up. Which isn't normal. There is probably less supply of green than yellow and yet yellow is rising faster.

Just because there is a less supply of something does not mean it is worth more/more of a demand for it. Put it to you this way. I just drew a picture of a stickfigure, with one arm. Only picture in the world like that. Sell it to you for $1m? I don't think so...No demand for it.

It is about supply and demand. If yellow is rising faster than green, then there is more of a demand for yellow.

I do understand supply and demand, the only reason why yellow partyhat's value is close to green partyhat's value after 8 years is because of Grand Exchange. Before GE people can set prices for their hat and it will eventually steady out at equilibrium. If i have a green partyhat back then, I would try to sell it at much higher rate because there is less of it. GE however, force both yellow and green to grow at the same rate. Since there are more yellow partyhats, there are more transactions daily. Whereas green partyhat has a transaction every other day. This means the average price of yellow partyhat grows on daily bases and the average price of green partyhat only grows every other day. This is how yellow starts to catch up to green after GE was introduced. Not because people love yellow more (that is only the perception right now, thanks to GE).

Like I said, for many years Green has always been valued higher than yellow. Why is it only until now did people start to dislike green partyhats?

I do understand supply and demand, the only reason why yellow partyhat's value is close to green partyhat's value after 8 years is because of Grand Exchange. Before GE people can set prices for their hat and it will eventually steady out at equilibrium. They can set prices all they want, however, in a Capitalist market, supply/demand will determine the price. Your "settling out at the equilibrium" is where the supply and demand curves cross. If i have a green partyhat back then, I would try to sell it at much higher rate because there is less of it. You can try all you want. Bottom line is: If there is no demand for that color, you ain't gonna get that huge price.GE however, force both yellow and green to grow at the same rate Since there are more yellow partyhats, there are more transactions daily. Whereas green partyhat has a transaction every other day. This means the average price of yellow partyhat grows on daily bases and the average price of green partyhat only grows every other day. This is how yellow starts to catch up to green after GE was introduced. Not because people love yellow more (that is only the perception right now, thanks to GE). Perception or not, demand is still growing for the yellow. If what you are saying is true, then people would be offering a much higher price for greens on the forum. They aren't. There is a higher demand for yellows then greens. (Regardless of whether or not the GE stimulated that demand, the demand is still there.)

Like I said, for many years Green has always been valued higher than yellow. Why is it only until now did people start to dislike green partyhats?

Like I said, you don't really understand supply and demand. You are too hung up on supply.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

death666blooms, I think he is referring to the fact that a partyhat cannot rise unless it is supplied. There can be enough demand for an item to make the price rise, yet if a transaction does not occur, the GE is not given the opportunity to raise the price of the item. This is why items that are "unbuyable" rarely rise- because people rarely sell them, not because there is a decrease in demand.

Just because there is a less supply of something does not mean it is worth more/more of a demand for it.

And actually, yes, it does. Please take economics before you lecture us about supply and demand.

demand.png

In the short run, demand for the item does not change, although quantity demanded does.

lalalasig2.png

death666blooms, I think he is referring to the fact that a partyhat cannot rise unless it is supplied. There can be enough demand for an item to make the price rise, yet if a transaction does not occur, the GE is not given the opportunity to raise the price of the item. This is why items that are "unbuyable" rarely rise- because people rarely sell them, not because there is a decrease in demand.

Just because there is a less supply of something does not mean it is worth more/more of a demand for it.

And actually, yes, it does. Please take economics before you lecture us about supply and demand.

demand.png

In the short run, demand for the item does not change, although quantity demanded does.

You missed my point. Completely. Take that picture. Even though there is just one picture (supply extremely limited), the worth does not raise much. You took that quote out of context. Reread it.

And btw, I graduate in 3 days with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Maryland.

-Genghis Khan

I know exactly what he is talking about. However, we have a parallel market (the "street price" using junk items). The parallel market reflects the true cost of the item. Greens are not higher then yellows.

demand.png

-Genghis Khan

Quoting so you understand the context of what I was saying.

One Mona Lisa = limited supply, high demand = high price.

One stick figure, drawn by Bobby Morse = limited supply, low demand = low price.

Less supply does not equal more demand.

EDIT: Just because you are probably going to jump on that above quote.

Less supply does not equal more demand. Limited supply BY ITSELF does not increase a products worth. And btw, a demand curve does not have to curve. Elasticity much?

-Genghis Khan

Demand is not influenced by supply. The price, however, will rise as supply decreases. It's not just me saying that... that's a law of economics.

:wall:

Two things.

1: The first part is you repeating what I was saying (after you told me to "take a class in economics").

2: DEMAND DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CURVED DOWN. Demand can be completely horizontal.

-Genghis Khan

Look at this pic:

fix_demand.gif

If supply rises or falls, how does price raise?

Kthxbye

-Genghis Khan

Demand is not influenced by supply. The price, however, will rise as supply decreases. It's not just me saying that... that's a law of economics.

And btw, both supply and demand can shift at the same time, resulting in no price change.

Seriously: REVIEW SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

-Genghis Khan

Look at this pic:

fix_demand.gif

If supply rises or falls, how does price raise?

Kthxbye

First of all, the demand curve is only completely flat if the demand is perfectly elastic. Because no demand can ever be perfectly elastic (unless it has an equal substitute, which this does not), the line will always curve at least slightly downward. We both agree that, if the demand curve is sloping downward, the prices will rise when supply falls.

And I lost all respect when you said "kthxbye." You went from an educated person debating with me to an arrogant person having an argument.

lalalasig2.png