Do YOU Wear a Helmet While Riding a Bike/Skateboard/Other?

Maze

Answer the question (if you want to).

Do you wear a helmet? People say "Helmets are for geeks!"

I personally wear a helmet. Do you?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I do not wear a helmet while riding my bike, or longboard. I've crashed two serious times on my bike and both times I came out fine. I've also crashed about five times on my longboard and the only thing I've ever broke is my watch (3 times) and gotten a few scrapes. I have a helmet a pretty expensive one too which I've only wore once since I got it when I got my bike almost two years ago. I probably would wear my helmet more if I wasn't [developmentally delayed]ed and got a mountain bike helmet instead of a road helmet like I should of :wall: . So if anyone is interested in trading a Giro road helmet for a Giro mountain helmet hit me up!

tFtfA.jpg

I wore one as a skateboarder, fell on my arm once & broke it. I figure if my arm is going to continue taking the impact, I won't need my helmet anymore.

So, no more helmets for me... unless i'm playing contact ice hockey with my extreme friends, I also wear a cup at those times.

hiccup.png

Nope, i never had crashes that inolved me hitting my head, always my arms hitting the floor first. But i always wore a helmet on my moped if that counts, but that was because i wasn't an idiot :lol:

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I use my pads and helmet when I'm at a skatepark where you have to, otherwise no. It's never served me though, whenever I've had a rough fall I usually fall on my back and pull up my head automatically. If there was such a thing as a (light) back helmet I'd wear it though, nothing worse than taking a bad fall 10 minutes into your session.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Skiing, I do, biking... Depends. If its on some straight road that I know, helmet-free. If it's bumpy and theres a risk of me falling, yeah, I'll wear a helmet.

I never bike anymore, but once I hit around 16 I stopped wearing a helmet. They never helped me, anyway, since my balance on a bike had been perfect, even when making sharp turns. Nowadays, it kind of hurts to bike, so I don't bother. I don't even own a bike now, since I donated it to my uncle's yard sale. I think a young Mexican kid has it now.

Answer the question.

Whoa, easy there fellow. No need to be so intimidating. :shame:

No. Most helmets loot quite dumb in fact.

This is how I felt when I used to ride bikes and skateboards. Now I just walk.

I probably should, considering how beat up my bike is, and how high the chances of me falling and hitting my head are. but they never fit well, and they're uncomfortable, and annoying, and they look silly.

Never really owned a helmet before. I mean there was a motorcycle me and my bro found but it smelt of cat's pee pee so I wasn't about to put that on my head.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I don't do much that would require a helmet, but when I get my motorcycle, I most definitely am. Hell, that's the most important part of safety gear. While I wouldn't want to, I wouldn't be totally against biking naked as long as I had a helmet.

But I find helmets are much more important when you're going 40 miles an hour.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Having worked in a bike shop for the last 2 years in the middle of Dublin, meaning I see commuters and bike couriers daily, all I have to say is not using a helmet is [developmentally delayed]ed.

I had a customer about 3 weeks ago, bought a commuting bike, I tried to sell her a helmet, she said she wanted to look "cool" on her bike. She came in 3 days ago, the top of her head and her arms covered in cuts and stitches, she'd swerved to avoid hitting a car, hit a curb and went through a bus shelter head first. Was in the ICU for 2 days and in a normal hospital ward for 8 days after that due to the bloodloss, she finally had decided to buy a helmet :roll:

And a bit of professional advice, the vast majority of helmets under say 50$ offer very little protection, it's nothing more than a layer of plastic over your head a lot of the times, if it doesn't fit properly, then egg shells would probably be more effective. The higher up the scale you go, the better quality of helmet and the safer they are and many of the top brands have a half-price replacement scheme for when you do eventually crash, it is your noggin your putting inside it after all.

Most importantly, helmets are only good for 1 crash where they get hit, not countless ones over and over as they work on compression zones. If it's compressed from a crash, it will offer no protection at all.