Do YOU Wear a Helmet While Riding a Bike/Skateboard/Other?

Maze

No I don't. I haven't even been riding in ages, all because I live on a major road with cars and trucks always going past, no footpath either. :(

Although I might start taking my skateboard to Tafe, so I can skate from the station to Tafe and back when it finishes.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helmets are dumb. They protect the top of your head. What are the chances of hitting that fatally in comparison to everything else?

Anyway, I'm so Hardcore I dont ride.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Helmets are dumb. They protect the top of your head. What are the chances of hitting that fatally in comparison to everything else?

Rather high actually, considering most of the time you'll probably be falling on to concrete and your brain is actually pretty vulnerable? Out of deaths from falls on bicycles, head injuries lead by a lot when you take out the risk of being run over by other vehicles.

Know why they protect the top of your head? It's because it's actually rather easy to hurt that area in a blunt impact =D>

Yes, I do. I don't really give a [cabbage] what I look like in one, because in the end it's my life I'd be quite happy keeping.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Rather high actually, considering most of the time you'll probably be falling on to concrete and your brain is actually pretty vulnerable? Out of deaths from falls on bicycles, head injuries lead by a lot when you take out the risk of being run over by other vehicles.

Know why they protect the top of your head? It's because it's actually rather easy to hurt that area in a blunt impact =D>

Exactly lol, you may not always hit your head, but your much more likely to seriously hurt yourself on the off chance you do hit your head on the pavement/road.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

When skiing I always wear a helmet. I've taken a few crashes, and whenever I fall it's a huge crash. One of my biggest was in a ski race. The course was full of ruts, and I was about to miss gate, so i tried to get back to the correct side of the gate, crashed and slide down about 1/4 of the course before stopping. Boy was I glad I was wearing my helmet...

sigh.png

Answer the question.

Whoa, easy there fellow. No need to be so intimidating. :shame:

I'm changing that now. :lol:

[hide=]

Having worked in a bike shop for the last 2 years in the middle of Dublin, meaning I see commuters and bike couriers daily, all I have to say is not using a helmet is [developmentally delayed].

I had a customer about 3 weeks ago, bought a commuting bike, I tried to sell her a helmet, she said she wanted to look "cool" on her bike. She came in 3 days ago, the top of her head and her arms covered in cuts and stitches, she'd swerved to avoid hitting a car, hit a curb and went through a bus shelter head first. Was in the ICU for 2 days and in a normal hospital ward for 8 days after that due to the bloodloss, she finally had decided to buy a helmet :roll:

And a bit of professional advice, the vast majority of helmets under say 50$ offer very little protection, it's nothing more than a layer of plastic over your head a lot of the times, if it doesn't fit properly, then egg shells would probably be more effective. The higher up the scale you go, the better quality of helmet and the safer they are and many of the top brands have a half-price replacement scheme for when you do eventually crash, it is your noggin your putting inside it after all.

Most importantly, helmets are only good for 1 crash where they get hit, not countless ones over and over as they work on compression zones. If it's compressed from a crash, it will offer no protection at all.

[/hide]

Which is why I'm not bothered to wear an helmet. Spend 75 dollars on a helmet? That is un-reusable once crashed? No thanks.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Nope, never have, and don't plan on it. To me, they all look rather stupid. Plus, I'm more prone to leg injuries (I don't wear pads either)

Only time I've truely injured myself is when I fell off of a high rail snowboarding, and almost broke my leg. No need for helmet there. ::'

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

[hide=]
Having worked in a bike shop for the last 2 years in the middle of Dublin, meaning I see commuters and bike couriers daily, all I have to say is not using a helmet is [developmentally delayed].

I had a customer about 3 weeks ago, bought a commuting bike, I tried to sell her a helmet, she said she wanted to look "cool" on her bike. She came in 3 days ago, the top of her head and her arms covered in cuts and stitches, she'd swerved to avoid hitting a car, hit a curb and went through a bus shelter head first. Was in the ICU for 2 days and in a normal hospital ward for 8 days after that due to the bloodloss, she finally had decided to buy a helmet :roll:

And a bit of professional advice, the vast majority of helmets under say 50$ offer very little protection, it's nothing more than a layer of plastic over your head a lot of the times, if it doesn't fit properly, then egg shells would probably be more effective. The higher up the scale you go, the better quality of helmet and the safer they are and many of the top brands have a half-price replacement scheme for when you do eventually crash, it is your noggin your putting inside it after all.

Most importantly, helmets are only good for 1 crash where they get hit, not countless ones over and over as they work on compression zones. If it's compressed from a crash, it will offer no protection at all.

[/hide]

Which is why I'm not bothered to wear an helmet. Spend 75 dollars on a helmet? That is un-reusable once crashed? No thanks.

75 dollars on a helmet that you would be unlikely to crush more than twice in your life > thousands in ER bills.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

[hide=]

[/hide]

75 dollars on a helmet that you would be unlikely to crush more than twice in your life > thousands in ER bills.

Chances of me needing ER > Changes of me not needing ER and saving those 75 dollars for more useful things. I'll take my chances.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Fo sho I do, I've been at the sites of at least 3 mtb crashes, where no helmet would have meant death for peeps. I find that most people who don't wear helmets while biking are posers or asshats, with the exception of some bmxers. ;-)

Unicycling, only if I'm going huge. Falls off unicycles are generally feet under, as long as you're not offroad in the rough.

Zwilnick.png

Hah I fail. I thought spine damage was the leading cause..

Since there's nothing helping you from that.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

No, I don't wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, dirtbike, quad, etc.. I think the only time I've worn a helmet is when one was mandatory at sporting events. Surprisingly I haven't been hit in the head. :thumbsup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png