Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do YOU Wear a Helmet While Riding a Bike/Skateboard/Other?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

pennywise
[ Display Name History ]

pennywise

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
No I do not wear a helmet, seeing as I do not do any of those sports.

PoorLepRecon
[ Display Name History ]

PoorLepRecon

Dragon Rider

• Members
  • 5,028 posts
  • RSN '07:Shruiken
When I used to ride my bike around I would wear a helmet every time. It was a habit I got into, and just never stopped.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts
I usually don't wear a helmet unless it's necessary. I bike to school every day on a rather dangerous route, so this may not be such a good idea. My helmet is a piece of junk anyway.

C2b6gs7.png

champion
[ Display Name History ]

champion

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,176 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I do, but I haven't done either of those things for probably over a year.

RichieMcD
[ Display Name History ]

RichieMcD

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • RSN:Cptn Krank
  • Clan:TSG
Having worked in a bike shop for the last 2 years in the middle of Dublin, meaning I see commuters and bike couriers daily, all I have to say is not using a helmet is [developmentally delayed]ed.

I had a customer about 3 weeks ago, bought a commuting bike, I tried to sell her a helmet, she said she wanted to look "cool" on her bike. She came in 3 days ago, the top of her head and her arms covered in cuts and stitches, she'd swerved to avoid hitting a car, hit a curb and went through a bus shelter head first. Was in the ICU for 2 days and in a normal hospital ward for 8 days after that due to the bloodloss, she finally had decided to buy a helmet :roll:

And a bit of professional advice, the vast majority of helmets under say 50$ offer very little protection, it's nothing more than a layer of plastic over your head a lot of the times, if it doesn't fit properly, then egg shells would probably be more effective. The higher up the scale you go, the better quality of helmet and the safer they are and many of the top brands have a half-price replacement scheme for when you do eventually crash, it is your noggin your putting inside it after all.

Most importantly, helmets are only good for 1 crash where they get hit, not countless ones over and over as they work on compression zones. If it's compressed from a crash, it will offer no protection at all.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit
No I don't. I haven't even been riding in ages, all because I live on a major road with cars and trucks always going past, no footpath either. :(

Although I might start taking my skateboard to Tafe, so I can skate from the station to Tafe and back when it finishes.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

RayOxide
[ Display Name History ]

RayOxide

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,530 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ray Skiller
  • Clan:Kinda back I guess.
Helmets are dumb. They protect the top of your head. What are the chances of hitting that fatally in comparison to everything else?

Anyway, I'm so Hardcore I dont ride.
I dont need a siggy no moar.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Nope, I had one when I was about 10 or something but otherwise nope. I don't ride my bike much anyway, it's sort of... grown into our mess of a garden. :?

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

RichieMcD
[ Display Name History ]

RichieMcD

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • RSN:Cptn Krank
  • Clan:TSG

Helmets are dumb. They protect the top of your head. What are the chances of hitting that fatally in comparison to everything else?

Rather high actually, considering most of the time you'll probably be falling on to concrete and your brain is actually pretty vulnerable? Out of deaths from falls on bicycles, head injuries lead by a lot when you take out the risk of being run over by other vehicles.

Know why they protect the top of your head? It's because it's actually rather easy to hurt that area in a blunt impact =D>

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I wear a helmet while mountain biking only.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Stilev
[ Display Name History ]

Stilev

King of Hearts

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  • RSN:Stilev
i'll wear one when im going long distant biking, mountain biking or skiing otherwise no
Posted Image

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts
Yes, I do. I don't really give a [cabbage] what I look like in one, because in the end it's my life I'd be quite happy keeping.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RSN:Danqazmlp

Rather high actually, considering most of the time you'll probably be falling on to concrete and your brain is actually pretty vulnerable? Out of deaths from falls on bicycles, head injuries lead by a lot when you take out the risk of being run over by other vehicles.

Know why they protect the top of your head? It's because it's actually rather easy to hurt that area in a blunt impact =D>

Exactly lol, you may not always hit your head, but your much more likely to seriously hurt yourself on the off chance you do hit your head on the pavement/road.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Chained_life
[ Display Name History ]

Chained_life

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • RSN:Chained_Life
  • Clan:The Death Monkeighs
Yes, riding bikes... That's about it. I don't skate, Rollerblade or any of that.
Posted Image

dave0293
[ Display Name History ]

dave0293

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts
When skiing I always wear a helmet. I've taken a few crashes, and whenever I fall it's a huge crash. One of my biggest was in a ski race. The course was full of ruts, and I was about to miss gate, so i tried to get back to the correct side of the gate, crashed and slide down about 1/4 of the course before stopping. Boy was I glad I was wearing my helmet...
Posted Image

doomy
[ Display Name History ]

doomy

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,679 posts
Yep I do.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hawk0078
When I ride my bike I do... Sometimes if I'm rollerblading. If it's at like a skating rink, then no. I do wear a helmet when playing ice hockey.

Maze
[ Display Name History ]

Maze

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Answer the question.

Whoa, easy there fellow. No need to be so intimidating. :shame:

I'm changing that now. :lol:

lukabo969
[ Display Name History ]

lukabo969

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 403 posts
The only times I don't wear a helmate is when I take a 5 minute, slow ride to a 7-11 or something for a slurpee. Otherwise yes.
Ranger Boot Count: 1 :lol:
Zerkers: 4 Hatchets: 2 Warriors: 2

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

Which is why I'm not bothered to wear an helmet. Spend 75 dollars on a helmet? That is un-reusable once crashed? No thanks.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users