Ruminations on Herblore & Farming

lordkafei

With a ranking system and an XP-driven community, spending millions to level skills is not that surprising. The fact that the supplier is getting a nice chunk of profit is also unsurprising ( just look at smithing, the smelters profits while the smithers spend). Like you mentionned; there are ways to profit from herblore, but these are few and not very easy to achieve compared to buying and mixing.

Herblore has always been hard to level prior to the G.E., now it's easier but you have to choose between wealth and experience.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

When I train herblore, I do it for speed.

I buy unfinished potions at ridiculously high prices, along with secondaries, and just make the pots at a large loss of money.

Same. :thumbup:

That is a very well-written post, I think. ^^

I personally train Herblore with the herbs I farm; which is why it is lagging 4 levels below Farming. This means I have to buy seeds (which are relatively cheap), seconds and occasionally vials, meaning I make profit at the cost of quite slow experience.

I may have to move onto cleaning herbs, if it isn't expensive AND is quite good exp.

The longer you play the more money you make. It gets to a point where the only thing money is good for is to spend on skills. So there will always be guys like me who wake up and say "i dont really need this 200m i have in the bank. lets buy a cape". then make the cash back again. Repeat. People like me are the ones buying all the clean herbs and seconds in mass amounts at max because we dont care.

Herb needs an update anyway. There should be some potions from 90-99. Smithing has the rune plate at 99.

Supersets always sell.

Fools_Taco.png

Fools_Taco.png

Herb needs an update anyway. There should be some potions from 90-99. Smithing has the rune plate at 99.

Supersets always sell.

super combat potions

super range potions

super mage potions

and basing the magic max hit on the level not the spell.

Y_Z.png

Supersets always sell.

super combat potions

super range potions

super mage potions

and basing the magic max hit on the level not the spell.

And Super+ and Super++ Potions that boost the same, but last double and tripple the time length.

But yes, there are a large number of players with lots of money who have, and are willing to fork over a lot of money to get 99 skills such as Herblore. Not to mention the XP differences between the 2 skills.

It takes over an hour to grow a patch which could yield 5-26 herbs. With herblore you mix those same 5-26 herbs in under a minute. Because of this, herbs are higher priced since they take longer to make than they do to be used.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I think the simple solution is to let f2p use most pots.

I was thinking just now about ways to reduce the glut of potions floating around. Making these f2p-consumable could be a quick fix, if they are willing to buy. I have always looked at f2p as mainly the suppliers of raw materials, not consumers of finished products. Perhaps my view is outdated.

Here's an idea I will throw out: double or triple the amount of XP given for making a potion. This will have a positive long-term effect - people would only need to make 1/2 or 1/3 as many potions to get their skillcapes. Eventually, demand would catch up with supply and the glut would be whittled down. At that point, normal market forces might keep potion prices in line.

Could that work?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I was thinking just now about ways to reduce the glut of potions floating around. Making these f2p-consumable could be a quick fix, if they are willing to buy. I have always looked at f2p as mainly the suppliers of raw materials, not consumers of finished products. Perhaps my view is outdated.

Here's an idea I will throw out: double or triple the amount of XP given for making a potion. This will have a positive long-term effect - people would only need to make 1/2 or 1/3 as many potions to get their skillcapes. Eventually, demand would catch up with supply and the glut would be whittled down. At that point, normal market forces might keep potion prices in line.

Could that work?

I'd go from level 1 to 99 in 15 hours if experience was tripled.

Could that work?

I think it might work but we have to keep in mind farmers are gonna be pissed if the herb prices will fall (and they will if something like that happens). Also the exp gain would be too fast compared to now.

Also your view of f2p is outdated as 90% of the bots are removed now and they were the suppliers of raw materials. But still, in f2p gathering skills tend to be high for money-making or getting supplies from themselves as "buyable" skills cost kind of more in f2p as there are less ways. (My view may also be outdated lol ;) )

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

Could that work?

Er, that would help the market issues, but infuriate farmers and those who got 99 herblore before the update - it would basically make Herblore 2 or three times easier to get a 99 in.

Er, that would help the market issues, but infuriate farmers and those who got 99 herblore before the update - it would basically make Herblore 2 or three times easier to get a 99 in.

We can't all be happy all the time. -.- And farmers have definitely gotten the sweet end of the deal.

I was watching the news today about GM and about how plants are going idle for weeks to let demand catch up with supply. Now I realize you can't freeze herblore for 2 or 3 months to let the market buy up potions. But we need a similar mechanism to balance things out.

Chew on this idea...

We have house teleports that let you use large piles of runes on a portal and create gateways with permanent teleportation capabilities.

Let's apply this to the potion glut.

How about a way to imbue jewelry with the attributes of potions? Say you provide 100, 250 or more of a potion and a ring/amulet/necklace/bracelet

to some NPC, along with perhaps a cash fee. The NPC gives you back an item that will protect you from poison, or raise your fishing 3 levels, or anything else you can currently do with a potion. You wouldn't have to re-dose - just wear the item. That would help whittle down the stockpiles of potions.

Let the free players have jewelry imbued with normal attack/strength/defense pots and give the supers to members.

We could even use the shilo fletching gems in these new rings/amulets/necklaces/bracelets and help out the miners too.

Doesn't hurt the farmers, helps the herblorists...

PvP is not for me

Could that work?

No, I think that would just make things worse, since a lot more people would be training.

I think the solution, not just to herblore but to many skills, is to make something profitable (like a super attack+ potion that last twice as long) that gives a very little amount of XP. This way people won't train by making this product, they will only make it for the profit.

Jojaton.png

38019414ux8.jpg

didnt read the whole post, but i make prayer potions for herby exp tbh. i don't lose that much off my profits either.

in three weeks i went from 420k cash to 4.9mil cash (thats what it will be once i sell my prayer pots tomorrow)

when i get my herby high enough i'll start doing super restores, because frankly, although they make less average profit per seed, i loss less money from making them into potions.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

We can't all be happy all the time. -.- And farmers have definitely gotten the sweet end of the deal.

I was watching the news today about GM and about how plants are going idle for weeks to let demand catch up with supply. Now I realize you can't freeze herblore for 2 or 3 months to let the market buy up potions. But we need a similar mechanism to balance things out.

Chew on this idea...

We have house teleports that let you use large piles of runes on a portal and create gateways with permanent teleportation capabilities.

Let's apply this to the potion glut.

How about a way to imbue jewelry with the attributes of potions? Say you provide 100, 250 or more of a potion and a ring/amulet/necklace/bracelet

to some NPC, along with perhaps a cash fee. The NPC gives you back an item that will protect you from poison, or raise your fishing 3 levels, or anything else you can currently do with a potion. You wouldn't have to re-dose - just wear the item. That would help whittle down the stockpiles of potions.

Let the free players have jewelry imbued with normal attack/strength/defense pots and give the supers to members.

We could even use the shilo fletching gems in these new rings/amulets/necklaces/bracelets and help out the miners too.

Doesn't hurt the farmers, helps the herblorists...

I think it would hurt the herblorists and the farmers. While you have to provide a lot of potions for an end all jewelry, that means that person will never buy one of those potions again. I know that I've used far more than 250 of heavily used potions. The only way the jewelry idea would work would be if potions required were insane (like 1000, or way more than that), they were sellable, and you got experience for making them and required a high herblore/magic/crafting or something level to do it. Even though, in all likelyhood such an idea would increase the glut, unless these jewelry decayed (after hopefully a very long time.)

Think about how overpowered a prayer potion amulet would be. You'd have infinite prayer.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Am I like the only one who buys grimy herbs to make potions? I always thought it was silly to pay a bit more to lose xp...and I'm pretty sure that the cleaning is actually the fastest part of making potions...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Curious, what are the herbs that you clean to make a profit?

They change from day to day; I just check the G.E. until I find a winner.

PvP is not for me

The way that you train herblore is the most cost effective one, for sure, but the reason to why people make potions is because you get more xp for each potion you make if you clean the herb and then also use it. Myself I also find it much more fun to make potions than just cleaning herbs all the time.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Good topic but obviously Herblore was doomed once PK was removed from the wildy and GE was set up.

Ruined my chances of achieving herb cape for a while :cry:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.