Tip.It's 100 Movies (VOTING IS STARTING!!!)

Harakiri

I think it would be pretty hard to come up with a solid system though because it's purely subjective. But if you were to ask me, only movies with deep and meaningful stories and aren't only there solely for entertainment purposes?

I thought this thread was about movies, not about books.

I never said it was. All I was saying was that I think movies that have valuable stories and such should be on the list of must see movies rather than ones that consist of cheap laughs, explosions, and cute characters. Like I said though, it's purely subjective and I was just offering a suggestion.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be pretty hard to come up with a solid system though because it's purely subjective. But if you were to ask me, only movies with deep and meaningful stories and aren't only there solely for entertainment purposes?

I thought this thread was about movies, not about books.

I never said it was, did I?

Well, if you only want deep and meaningfull stories you're obviously not very interested in the images. You do realize that with this tactic you're completely ignoring non-narrative film...

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Well, if you only want deep and meaningfull stories you're obviously not very interested in the images.

Who says the images can't add to the meaningfulness? :-s

You do realize that with this tactic you're completely ignoring non-narrative film...

Yes, which mainly suck. Maybe none are just coming to mind, but I really can't think of something which I deemed as a "good movie" that had no story to it.

Well, if you only want deep and meaningfull stories you're obviously not very interested in the images.

Who says the images can't add to the meaningfulness? :-s

Nobody. You just said that you only want deep stories. It's not that strange that I read that the way I did.

You do realize that with this tactic you're completely ignoring non-narrative film...

Yes, which mainly suck. Maybe none are just coming to mind, but I really can't think of something which I deemed as a "good movie" that had no story to it.

Now I'm curious which ones you've seen.

21o4pav.jpg

Nobody. You just said that you only want deep stories. It's not that strange that I read that the way I did.

I realize that came off a lot harsher than I originally intended. I said the word "only". Of course I didn't mean to get rid of every movie that doesn't fit my requirement, because this is supposed to be TIF's collage of good movies. However, I do agree with Range and I think it would be best to set some rules that way we don't have Shrek on the list. I mean, if this was just a free for all then it wouldn't be a very accurate list of must see movies. My opinion on what a good rule would be was less mindlessness and more meaningfulness.

I wonder why though. Not that I'm especially a fan of Toy Story or Shrek, but it wouldn't be strange to say that a movie like Toy Story is of some importance in movie history. And it's at least enjoyable, and I bet that a lot people from 'our' generation have good memories with it.

I don't agree on rules by the way. Everybody should enter what they think is good. If you want to have a 'rule' do it with collecting the movies that everybody suggests and then let them vote over what should be in the list. Don't limit people in their choices.

What do you mean with 'deep and meaningfull stories' by the way?

21o4pav.jpg

I wonder why though. Not that I'm especially a fan of Toy Story or Shrek, but it wouldn't be strange to say that a movie like Toy Story is of some importance in movie history. And it's at least enjoyable, and I bet that a lot people from 'our' generation have good memories with it.

Personally, I do like Toy Story. It's probably one of my favorite Disney movies. I don't think it belongs on this list though.

I think we're reading the title of this thread differently. When I think of something to do before I die, there has to be some sort of meaning behind it. I don't think watching Toy Story really had much of an effect on my life - it was more of a pastime. When I think of a movie that I have to see before I stop living, it should be something with some sort of value other than helping me get through the day. Maybe it makes me see something in a different light, makes me think about something more clearly. Movies that make me think. I like it when the entertainment doesn't stop as soon as the credits start rolling. Something like that is truly worthy of something to do before you die.

I don't agree on rules by the way. Everybody should enter what they think is good. If you want to have a 'rule' do it with collecting the movies that everybody suggests and then let them vote over what should be in the list. Don't limit people in their choices.

It's a good idea, but a voting system seems a lot more hectic than just a rule of thumb of not picking mindless movies. Plus it would only be a reflection of the majority's tastes, which isn't fair for the guy who comes to this thread with a movie none of us heard of, despite it being a truly grand movie. Example: Cool Hand Luke

Not to mention, this appears more like an experimental list to me. If tons of people say Lord of the Rings is a movie to see before you die, then chances are we probably all already seen it... and none of us are dead yet. :) If we're talking about things to see before we die, it should be things we haven't seen yet, right?

What do you mean with 'deep and meaningfull stories' by the way?

[hide=]I'm glad these are on the list:

A Clockwork Orange

Requiem for a Dream

Fight Club

Pulp Fiction

American History X

The Green Mile

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Forrest Gump

Ones that haven't been mentioned:

Cool Hand Luke

The Butterfly Effect

The Devil's Advocate[/hide]

Then I wonder what makes Pulp Fiction so much more deep and meaningfull than Toy Story. The same goes for The Green Mile or Forrest Gump, which are pretty generic movies if you ask me. From the movies you selected I think that with deep and meaningfull movies you mean serious movies. But you have to realize that not everything has to be serious, and an on first sight not serious movie can have some very serious things underneath the surface. Movies are horror, comedy, epic etc. not just drama. With the way you select you leave out a lot of brilliant movies. A good example is a movie like Suspiria, it lacks a deep or meaningfull story, it even has bad acting, yet it has been one of the most intense movie experiences I've ever had. And what's wrong with having a lot of FUN while watching a movie, that can be memorable too, right?

21o4pav.jpg

Plus it would only be a reflection of the majority's tastes, which isn't fair for the guy who comes to this thread with a movie none of us heard of, despite it being a truly grand movie. Example: Cool Hand Luke

Well, that's the idea right, that this thread is the reflection of the majority's tastes? ::' You can't have a "Tip.it list of 100 movies to see before you die" with 100 movies selected by three people. If we want something more personal we should do it this way.

21o4pav.jpg

Plus it would only be a reflection of the majority's tastes, which isn't fair for the guy who comes to this thread with a movie none of us heard of, despite it being a truly grand movie. Example: Cool Hand Luke

Well, that's the idea right, that this thread is the reflection of the majority's tastes? ::' You can't have a "Tip.it list of 100 movies to see before you die" with 100 movies selected by three people. If we want something more personal we should do it this way.

I second that idea, except narrow it down from 75 to about 10 movies or something smaller. :lol:

Because who's really going to watch the list of movies on this thread without a short description/personal opinion about it. Everyone has different tastes.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Then I wonder what makes Pulp Fiction so much more deep and meaningfull than Toy Story.

Toy Story is just as deep as Pulp Fiction? :? That's no way to convince someone to stop favoring serious movies.

First of all, the scenes are not played in chronological order but this very aspect actually augments the viewing experience. If they were played in sequential order, it wouldn't be nearly the same. Secondly, the bathroom scenes are utterly brilliant. Vincent goes to bathroom (a normal domestic routine) and then leaves, entering a [bleep]ed up reality (overdose, robbery, then finally death). Thirdly, the undefinable contents of the 666 briefcase being linked to the scarred neck at the beginning of the movie and also the Bible reference is one of the best uses of symbolism I've ever seen in a film. Finally, most of the characters all have their unique storylines but they're interrelated into the main plot. There isn't a concrete protagonist like in any other regular movie. One second you'll be empathizing for Vincent, then next thing you know you'll be empathizing for his killer.

Toy Story: Talking toys that make you laugh and teaches you the moral of not letting jealousy get to your head.

You can't tell me every movie is as deep and meaningful as every other one. Or perhaps I'm missing some hidden underlying message that's present in Toy Story?

The same goes for The Green Mile or Forrest Gump, which are pretty generic movies if you ask me.

Yes, they are generic but what does this have to do with anything? I didn't say that any popular movie is automatically a bad one.

Movies are horror, comedy, epic etc. not just drama. With the way you select you leave out a lot of brilliant movies. A good example is a movie like Suspiria, it lacks a deep or meaningfull story, it even has bad acting, yet it has been one of the most intense movie experiences I've ever had.

I never purposely meant to leave out specific genres. All the movies that I deem as "worth seeing before you die" just happened to fall under pretty much the same category. There are scary movies I like - Zombie, House on Haunted Hill, Night of the Living Dead (I thought Suspiria was crap though). I just don't think they fit the list because they're more of a pastime than something you gotta do before you die.

And what's wrong with having a lot of FUN while watching a movie, that can be memorable too, right?

Yes, entertainment is good, but entertainment plus a message is better.

You can't have a "Tip.it list of 100 movies to see before you die" with 100 movies selected by three people.

You really like using my words and taking them to the most extreme possible, don't you?

We've bumped into the problem with these kind of lists already, what is popular and what is considered great by the majority isn't necessarily the pinnacle of achievement in the medium. It just comes from people not having a wider experience of film - if you've only got a narrow experience of film then it isn't surprising that you might feel that The Dark Knight is the single greatest film ever made. Now I'm not saying by any means that having seen more films makes you better qualified to make these judgements, far from it, I know in myself that my opinions and tastes are constantly changing as I see more films - I look at films I loved 7 or 8 years ago and wonder why I liked them and I look at ones I hated in the past and enjoy them. Likewise in years to come I'll re-[wagon] films I've seen this year and change my opinion.

My overall point is that there is always going to be a clash over tastes in doing these lists because we have a mixed bag of posters on this forum.

Then I wonder what makes Pulp Fiction so much more deep and meaningfull than Toy Story.

Toy Story is just as deep as Pulp Fiction? :? That's no way to convince someone to stop favoring serious movies.

First of all, the scenes are not played in chronological order but this very aspect actually augments the viewing experience. If they were played in sequential order, it wouldn't be nearly the same. Secondly, the bathroom scenes are utterly brilliant. Vincent goes to bathroom (a normal domestic routine) and then leaves, entering a [bleep] up reality (overdose, robbery, then finally death). Thirdly, the undefinable contents of the 666 briefcase being linked to the scarred neck at the beginning of the movie and also the Bible reference is one of the best uses of symbolism I've ever seen in a film. Finally, most of the characters all have their unique storylines but they're interrelated into the main plot. There isn't a concrete protagonist like in any other regular movie. One second you'll be empathizing for Vincent, then next thing you know you'll be empathizing for his killer.

Toy Story: Talking toys that make you laugh and teaches you the moral of not letting jealousy get to your head.

You can't tell me every movie is as deep and meaningful as every other one. Or perhaps I'm missing some hidden underlying message that's present in Toy Story?

There is no real deep underlying message in Pulp Fiction either though, that is the point. The breifcase is a classic MacGuffin (as Tarantino has indirectly suggested). Having an ensemble film with several inter-related storylines isn't entirely unique and neither is the non-chronological editing style. Tarantino even concedes that he has taken a number of archetypal stories and just presented them to a mainstream audience in a way which they hadn't seen. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun film and I enjoy it but it isn't the great film achievement of our time - it's a fun film but not an as great as many people think. All this mythologising of Pulp Fiction is giving the film more credit than it is due.

Ps - the scarred neck is just to hide Ving Rhames' scar, no hidden meaning, no deliberate message.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

There is no real deep underlying message in Pulp Fiction either though, that is the point. The breifcase is a classic MacGuffin (as Tarantino has indirectly suggested). Having an ensemble film with several inter-related storylines isn't entirely unique and neither is the non-chronological editing style. Tarantino even concedes that he has taken a number of archetypal stories and just presented them to a mainstream audience in a way which they hadn't seen. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun film and I enjoy it but it isn't the great film achievement of our time - it's a fun film but not an as great as many people think. All this mythologising of Pulp Fiction is giving the film more credit than it is due.

I've heard many theories about the briefcase, but I don't really know what to believe now. I do like how they make religious references, which is a nice allusion to good and evil, even though like I said, there is no true protagonist in the movie. Anyways, my point was that Pulp Fiction is a deeper movie than Toy Story. The interrelated plot and order of the scenes might not be unique but they are more than what Pixar has pulled off with their Toy Story movie.

Tarnantino's official line is "it's whatever the audience wants it to be". Which is code for it doesn't matter, it's there as a plot device to drive the storyline. Just like the microfilm in North By Northwest or the numerous other Hitchcock MacGuffins.

Also, Toy Story was a pioneering film, whether people like it or not - it was the first 100% computer animated feature film. Now, I would argue that that hasn't overall benefited film but it was pioneering. Sure, the storyline isn't the work of Shakespeare as you suggest but it's an important landmark just like The Jazz Singer (which isn't particularly deep either) was when it pioneered the use of sound in film.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

That's a whole new can of worms. Like I said, I do appreciate Toy Story but I personally don't feel it's important enough to be put on the list of 100 movies to see before you die. Just being the first of something simply means nothing more than that - it was the first of something. That alone doesn't make it a deeper or more meaningful movie.

First of all, the scenes are not played in chronological order but this very aspect actually augments the viewing experience. If they were played in sequential order, it wouldn't be nearly the same. Secondly, the bathroom scenes are utterly brilliant. Vincent goes to bathroom (a normal domestic routine) and then leaves, entering a [bleep] up reality (overdose, robbery, then finally death). Thirdly, the undefinable contents of the 666 briefcase being linked to the scarred neck at the beginning of the movie and also the Bible reference is one of the best uses of symbolism I've ever seen in a film. Finally, most of the characters all have their unique storylines but they're interrelated into the main plot. There isn't a concrete protagonist like in any other regular movie. One second you'll be empathizing for Vincent, then next thing you know you'll be empathizing for his killer.

Well, you told me that with deep and meaningful you expect the movie to alter you life or something like that. I dont see how Pulp Fiction can do that (unless it is the film that made you want to make film or something like that, but then it could be every other movie, even Toy Story). The chronology of the scenes doesnt really make Pulp Fiction a life changing experience, neither does a bible reference or Vincent going to the Bathroom entering a strange world. And thats not a problem, it only becomes one when you only want deep and meaningful movies in your list.

I bet there is a deeper thing about Toy Story by the way. I bet it's not for nothing that the two main toys are a cowboy and an austronaut. :) Nothing life altering of course, but it does make it extra interesting. But I'd have to see it again to say something useful about it.

The same goes for The Green Mile or Forrest Gump, which are pretty generic movies if you ask me.

Yes, they are generic but what does this have to do with anything? I didn't say that any popular movie is automatically a bad one.

No, you didn't. But it makes me wonder what it is about The Green Mile or Forrest Gump that makes somebody lie awake for hours thinking of that movie. Yea, they have a message, but it's pretty clear, right? The movies don't leave you with much to think about, in my eyes.

Movies are horror, comedy, epic etc. not just drama. With the way you select you leave out a lot of brilliant movies. A good example is a movie like Suspiria, it lacks a deep or meaningfull story, it even has bad acting, yet it has been one of the most intense movie experiences I've ever had.

I never purposely meant to leave out specific genres. All the movies that I deem as "worth seeing before you die" just happened to fall under pretty much the same category. There are scary movies I like - Zombie, House on Haunted Hill, Night of the Living Dead (I thought Suspiria was crap though). I just don't think they fit the list because they're more of a pastime than something you gotta do before you die.

Okay, then it's just a difference of things we like to do before we die. I want to be serious, have fun, be scared and what not. You like to be serious all the time. ::'

You can't have a "Tip.it list of 100 movies to see before you die" with 100 movies selected by three people.

You really like using my words and taking them to the most extreme possible, don't you?

Well, it's only the logical next step. Sorry.

And what's wrong with having a lot of FUN while watching a movie, that can be memorable too, right?

Yes, entertainment is good, but entertainment plus a message is better.

I disagree. Not necessarily anyway.

21o4pav.jpg

Mad Max 1, 2 and 3

Terminator 1 and 2, don't add 3 as its a PoS imo.

Gangs of New York

Alien

Predator (don't for the love of god add predator 2)

The Condemned

Texas Chainsaw massacre

Enemy of the State

Land of the Dead <-28 days later and this are the only serious recent zombie films worth watching.

Road Trip

American Pie all 3 why not.

There more but I can't think of them right now.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Well, you told me that with deep and meaningful you expect the movie to alter you life or something like that. I dont see how Pulp Fiction can do that (unless it is the film that made you want to make film or something like that, but then it could be every other movie, even Toy Story). The chronology of the scenes doesnt really make Pulp Fiction a life changing experience, neither does a bible reference or Vincent going to the Bathroom entering a strange world. And thats not a problem, it only becomes one when you only want deep and meaningful movies in your list.

It's thought invoking, so it isn't as black and white as you're trying to make it out to be. You're right about it having a unique effect on the individual, and yes, even Toy Story can do that to a point but let's be realistic here:

At first, you told me that it sounded like I was talking about books with all this "deep and meaningful" hubbub. Well then, we can agree that at least books can be deep and meaningful, right? But Green Eggs and Ham isn't as deep and meaningful as The Grapes of Wrath, right? Now answer me this. Why would you think this applies only to books and not movies?

No, you didn't. But it makes me wonder what it is about The Green Mile or Forrest Gump that makes somebody lie awake for hours thinking of that movie. Yea, they have a message, but it's pretty clear, right? The movies don't leave you with much to think about, in my eyes.

Here we go with the extremes again. You know, we'd get a lot more accomplished if you stopped using strawmen over and over and over again. Just lettin ya know. O:) Movies don't keep me up for hours, but I will say that I was thinking about the movie Cool Hand Luke before I went to bed. It's funny because my dad showed me the movie and he told me that he thought about it when he went to bed, and it happened to me too.

So, what do you think a deep and meaningful is? And if your answer is nothing, that would be saying that the concepts of deep and meaningful don't even exist. Movies, songs, and sometimes even art trigger me to think about things and it's a great feeling. I can't help but feel for you if you've never experienced something thought invoking before.

Okay, then it's just a difference of things we like to do before we die. I want to be serious, have fun, be scared and what not. You like to be serious all the time.

Let me get this straight before I start - your argument is that I don't like to have fun?

By your logic, killing a fly is the equivalent of mass genocide. No, it doesn't work that way. You're turning something small (one person suggesting a movie) into something much bigger (3 people are going to do all 100 movies on the list) and making it seem like I'm supporting the argument that you yourself fabricated. Come on now. Do you even know what a strawman is? Someone from 2004 should know, since I hear that word like every day here.

Really? What do you have against messages?

i agree with Dan(How2). "Deep and meaningfull" are subjective and as said, this list is not about few people's personal taste.

Maybe after having like 200-300 movies we can do a ranking-based filtering which will leave the top 100.

this list is not about few people's personal taste.

Exactly, so why should we have a free for all? Sounds more like you're agreeing with me... I told him the movies I thought were deep and meaningful, and he's telling me they're not. How does that count as him saying it's subjective?

Maybe after having like 200-300 movies we can do a ranking-based filtering which will leave the top 100.

Yeah, we'll just see how that works out. Sorry for sounding pessimistic, but don't you think that sort of organization is a bit too hectic unless this was an official poll? And if it was, I don't see them fitting 200-300 options for it.

At first, you told me that it sounded like I was talking about books with all this "deep and meaningful" hubbub. Well then, we can agree that at least books can be deep and meaningful, right? But Green Eggs and Ham isn't as deep and meaningful as The Grapes of Wrath, right? Now answer me this. Why would you think this applies only to books and not movies?

I dont get what you are trying to say.

Here we go with the extremes again. You know, we'd get a lot more accomplished if you stopped using strawmen over and over and over again. Just lettin ya know. O:) Movies don't keep me up for hours, but I will say that I was thinking about the movie Cool Hand Luke before I went to bed. It's funny because my dad showed me the movie and he told me that he was thought about it when he went to bed, and it happened to me too.

So, what do you think a deep and meaningful is? And if your answer is nothing, that would be saying that the concepts of deep and meaningful don't even exist.

Its not an extreme. You said that you thought those two movies were deep and meaningful (Forrest Gump and the Green Mile), I say that in my eyes they arent because everything they have to offer is on the surface and that they dont offer me very much knew ways to see their subjects. Next to that they are safe and have a lack of fire, in my opinion.

Deep and meaningful. It depends, it can be a special movement of the camera, a line somebody says, the way a character looks in the camera those things can all be meaningful to me. I guess that one way of defining a deep movie for me is that it makes me look at a subject from a different perspective, but it is kind of hard to bring these things under words for me.

Okay, then it's just a difference of things we like to do before we die. I want to be serious, have fun, be scared and what not. You like to be serious all the time.

Let me get this straight before I start - your argument is that I don't like to have fun?

Well, maybe you like to have fun, but judging from the things you are saying youre seeing it as something inferior (serious movies > fun movies for example). The way you put it watching a comedy is basically a waste of time, watching a drama (the movies that supposedly make you think) isnt a waste of time. I dont really try to see one thing better as the other, but as equal.

By your logic, killing a fly is the equivalent of mass genocide. No, it doesn't work that way. Do you even know what a strawman is?

Haha. Never heard of a strawman. But when you are putting up rules made by a few people those few people are manipulating the outcome of that list. For instance (Im going to use your idea now), I would like to mention a movie called Bathing Beauty a movie that is full with the improbable stuff, its just an excuse for that, and I love it and its dear to me because of that reason, but I couldnt mention it because its content is mindless. That makes it impossible to make a correct reflection of the masses' opinion, doesnt it?

Really? What do you have against messages?

I have nothing against messages, but often I feel those messages are forced or even uninteresting. They arent brought over in a natural way, that ruins everything for me. So Id rather watch a movie without a special message, instead of being annoyed by a movie that brings its message in a wrong way.

21o4pav.jpg

Yeah, we'll just see how that works out. Sorry for sounding pessimistic, but don't you think that sort of organization is a bit too hectic unless this was an official poll? And if it was, I don't see them fitting 200-300 options for it.

What about opening a new thread where people can rank 10-20 movies of the compiled list giving each movie a rank between 1 to 10.

Afterwards we can sum up the ranks and there you go...

I believe it should work - not that the final list will be yours or mine dream list but it will reflect this forum's taste more or less accuratly

We should have a whole board simply devoted to "arguers" and "intellectuals" such as How2PK, Zierro, Venomai, 1MA, magekillr - who just love to argue and derail topics.

Not saying that is bad or good. Just saying.

You know I love you Zierro. You and your ways.

I dont get what you are trying to say.

The first thing you said to me was, "This thread is about movies - not books." This implies that you acknowledge books to be deep and meaningful, or else you wouldn't have brought them up. Not every book is as deep and meaningful as every other one though. Compare a Dr. Seuss book to a Mark Twain book. Chances are, the Mark Twain book is going to be a more enlightening experience than reading the Dr. Seuss book. Why can't this work the same way with movies?

Its not an extreme. You said that you thought those two movies were deep and meaningful (Forrest Gump and the Green Mile), I say that in my eyes they arent because everything they have to offer is on the surface and that they dont offer me very much knew ways to see their subjects. Next to that they are safe and have a lack of fire, in my opinion.

I was talking about how you said people stay up for hours at night thinking about them. I never said that. When I do think about a movie, or song, or book, or piece of art it's usually only for a very brief amount of time but it still makes me think. It's a stimulus and it has an effect on you, no matter how small we're talking. Depending on the stimulus (the type of movie) and the person of course, the effects will vary. For me, I believe the effects are quite strong.

Tool - Lateralus (song). After listening to that song, I had a much more optimistic view on life.

The Color of Water (book). This book is about the hardships of a Jewish mother and her black son. I thought my life was pretty bad, but this book shows that no matter who you are or what you are, you're going to have your own set of problems. One group of persons doesn't really have it much easier than any other group.

Requiem for a Dream (movie). Never do heroin.

Cool Hand Luke (movie). You can't break a man's soul unless he lets you.

The Butterfly Effect (movie). No matter how bad you think things are right now, they can always get worse.

Deep and meaningful. It depends, it can be a special movement of the camera, a line somebody says, the way a character looks in the camera those things can all be meaningful to me. I guess that one way of defining a deep movie for me is that it makes me look at a subject from a different perspective, but it is kind of hard to bring these things under words for me.

Yes, and for me it's mainly the idea of the story and the dialogue. Meaningfulness is subjective, so why were you arguing against the movies that I deemed meaningful? It's a personal thing just like favorite colors. It's a baseless argument to make a rebuttal when someone tells you what their favorite colors are.

Well, maybe you like to have fun, but judging from the things you are saying youre seeing it as something inferior (serious movies > fun movies for example). The way you put it watching a comedy is basically a waste of time, watching a drama (the movies that supposedly make you think) isnt a waste of time. I dont really try to see one thing better as the other, but as equal.

To me, they are. Like I said though, my suggestion was purely subjective.

Haha. Never heard of a strawman. But when you are putting up rules made by a few people those few people are manipulating the outcome of that list. For instance (Im going to use your idea now), I would like to mention a movie called Bathing Beauty a movie that is full with the improbable stuff, its just an excuse for that, and I love it and its dear to me because of that reason, but I couldnt mention it because its content is mindless. That makes it impossible to make a correct reflection of the masses' opinion, doesnt it?

I'm not trying to dictate to you guys what is and isn't allowed. If you go back and read my post, I did specify that it would be almost an impossible task to make rules, but if you were to ask me I would suggest more meaningful movies. Just my opinion. But then you started arguing that only books can be deep and meaningful, and the conversation evolved into this.

I have nothing against messages, but often I feel those messages are forced or even uninteresting. They arent brought over in a natural way, that ruins everything for me. So Id rather watch a movie without a special message, instead of being annoyed by a movie that brings its message in a wrong way.

A lot of the time I think the comedy or suspense is forced and uninteresting. You do have a point though - just having a message doesn't make something good, because that message can be crappy. But generally speaking, my favorite movies all contain messages.

We should have a whole board simply devoted to "arguers" and "intellectuals" such as How2PK, Zierro, Venomai, 1MA, magekillr - who just love to argue and derail topics.

Not saying that is bad or good. Just saying.

You know I love you Zierro. You and your ways.

Ehh, that's much too contrived. And I wouldn't consider myself an intellectual - just a passionate fighter.

Hmm, I guess I am to blame for the rules argument. I was just seeing the OP add every movie that someone posted to his list, and the list was going to go past 100 pretty quickly. So I thought there should be some sort of way of deciding which ones to put that would allow everyone's movies to be on the list.

We would have to clearly state what kind of list we are going for though. Movies to see before you die, or your favourite movies. Many would overlap, and the more popular movies would probably bump all the ones that you really should see before you die, but there is no way around that. The only thing I could think of is having each person allowed a certain amount that they can guarantee go on the list, then the rest of the list could be by popularity.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg