Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I know I've been pretty lazy about checking this, but I've been watching the thread, and just biding my time, waiting to reply when it was necessary.

(Either that, or I've been buried under an avalanche of projects to do for class. It's probably the latter.)

So...without further ado...

I am not sure where the protests are coming from. Getting more ores also makes mining easier. I don't want everything to be easy, it's as simple as that. If I want a huge money-making skill that's super easy, I'll runecraft.

I *like* it when things are more difficult. It presents more of a challenge.

Making things easier and easier is making RS2 like a game for 10 year olds with ADD.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mining. At all.

I'm not trying to make the game easier. How many times do I have to say it? All I want is for the rewards from Mining to increase. Experience, despite common belief, is NOT a reward.

All I'm saying is that Mining needs more rewards. Nerf the experience for all I care; I don't give a damn - I just want to be able to get 2-3K Adamant in a reasonable amount of time.

I have absolutely no intention of increasing the ease of the skill. Find me one place where I said that and I will rescind this point. I only want the rewards from Mining to increase. I said it before, and I'll gladly say it again - give me six times more Mithril and/or Adamant, and I'll gladly accept six times less experience for both.

What is the point of getting more mith and addy ores if there isn't more xp?

Your rant seems to be about not having enough ores to smith. Why not title your rant smithing sucks.

There's three points to that, actually -

1) More ore basically means more smithers.

2) Less experience per ore means less people complaining about how easy Mining's become.

3) It gives Mining back its dignity as a proper feeding skill to Crafting and Smithing.

More mith and addy ores will never happen as items smithed can be alched making mining too rewarding.

You picked the haunted mines as an example of how "impossible" it is to mine mith and addy this is untrue.

I used to mine at the f2p hobgoblin mines in the wildy, that was a decent spot to get addy ores.

After I got members I used to mine and smith bars using the magic spell at the grand tree mine.

Also I even used to mine at the desert mine, there was a decent amount of ores there as well.

That's funny - you don't mention the Haunted mine ONCE in your rebuttal! Wonder why...

The Grand Tree mine is the only decent mine out there, but it's still rather ludicrous to try mining bulk Mith/Adamant. As for the Desert/Hobgob mines - I've tried both and was furious of their placement. What sense does it make to put high-demand rocks clear out in the middle of NOWHERE? I especially resented the Hobgoblin mines because of the inherent danger. Call me a coward, if you will - I just don't accept the risk of such a poorly-rewarding mine.

The OP is very stubborn and has ignored the amazing gold ores and coal ores living caverns update. This single update has made mining popular. Also as gold is one of the best ways to level smithing with crafting gauntlets there is no reason to whine that smithing is impossible. You can DIY smithing now by just mining your own ores if you have the patience.

What, you missed my post on page 12?

Besides living caverns there are other things that make mining easier now:

Varrock armour : Gives extra ores up to addy while mining, this is a significant bonus

Shooting stars: Mining xp, free ores, free gp, free gems AND a bonus of extra ores for mining for a certain period of time

Stealing creation pickaxes: DOUBLE MINING XP and it takes 12 minutes max to get these points if you do fast sc games

Stealing creation hammer: DOUBLE SMITHING XP what more could you ask for and saves lots of gp while levelling smithing

Blast furnace : Requires less ores to smith bars AND now there is a direct cart ride from GE to here AND because of personalized shops other players can't buy the noted ores you sell to the store

And last but not least, not everyone has the summonning level for a pack yak, but with one it doesn't matter how far and incovenient the mine is just mine, fill and bank ores with a scroll.

Double adamant ores - the effect fires pretty rarely (I've tested this), and it still doesn't make up for the obvious lack of such rocks in the first place.

Shooting Stars/SC equipment - I don't care about experience. I want more ORE.

Blast Furnace - until recently it was pointless to try this method, but again, doesn't make up for the obvious lack of ores.

Pack-Yak/BoB - doesn't make up for the respawn time of most of these ores. Let's see you try harvesting tons of Adamant in an hour with a Pak-Yak.

I DO NOT support more mining changes to make ores easier to get.

The argument that monsters are bringing more bars and ores into the game vs players doesn't hold water. Where are you getting this information from? It was harder to mine before and there were plenty of mith and addy ores for sale. Most monsters do NOT drop noted bars or ores, there are a few such as aviansies etc. If anything more monsters should drop noted bars such as metallic dragons.

The bulk of ores and bars are coming from players, not monsters.

Most of the Mithril ore being brought in are from F2P Cockroach killers. Most of the Adamant bars being brought in are from Aviansies. Mithril bars can be brought in from Dust Devils. Most of the other ores can be found from varying high level NPCs.

If you haven't noticed that kind of trend, then you haven't been killing enough monsters. Funny thing about that is those are some of the most popular NPCs to hunt, so it would make sense that most ores/bars are coming in from NPCs.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The Runecrafting update used a similiar implementation to the suggestion of the orginal poster; same difficulty in leveling up, but an increase in general profit. The effects of that update could be very relevant to this thread, so I suggest that both sides look into the issue.

And yes, most Adamantine bars come through Avanies. The price of those bars, which I believed were fairly constant, went on a decline soon after the method had become widely known. The others I'm not sure on.

The Runecrafting update used a similiar implementation to the suggestion of the orginal poster; same difficulty in leveling up, but an increase in general profit. The effects of that update could be very relevant to this thread, so I suggest that both sides look into the issue.

And yes, most Adamantine bars come through Avanies. The price of those bars, which I believed were fairly constant, went on a decline soon after the method had become widely known. The others I'm not sure on.

Yup. Wondered if it ever crossed any of Jagex's staffs' minds that the same principle could be applied to mining.

Yup. Wondered if it ever crossed any of Jagex's staffs' minds that the same principle could be applied to mining.

That's assuming, of course, that you consider the runecrafting update a success. And a casual look at the forums shows that quite a few people would disagree.

Multiple ores/rock, bars/ores and items/bars, pls!

...Seriously, that's not a bad idea.

a70c7.png

I swear I posted here before... I looked through the thread however and didn't find any post by Dr. Cox so I think I'll just post again.

I love mining the way it is. I don't mind having to powermine for levels. I just pop in my earphones, turn on the cricket and I mine away. So far I'm having a heap of fun.

I don't think that mining should be changed as a skill. It is meant to be hard to level without focus and it accomplishes that. Not every skill should be another Woocutting or Fishing if you gather things -.-

I do agree that addy/mith rocks are extremely downplayed though. Put them in better areas where banking is a bit easier (mith is located in the guild, but personally it could be better/ore places to mine/bank). And don't get me started on addy... that, at the moment, is definitely not worth mining. Most people (including myself) skip/are going to skip addy/mith for cash and head straight to runs, which is very sad imo. But there is no incentive or reason to actually go out there for an hour and mine these ores, unless you need some cash desperately or you are superheating.

disturbeda.png

That's assuming, of course, that you consider the runecrafting update a success. And a casual look at the forums shows that quite a few people would disagree.

Jagex doesn't need to please everyone, just the majority.

Furthermore, most of them are just 91 runecrafting nature runecrafters whining about the loss of their profit.

Furthermore, most of them are just 91 runecrafting nature runecrafters whining about the loss of their profit.

By that logic, Jagex should only update the middle levels that the majority of players possess. This is also logic that is completely killing the innovation and development of the gaming industry. The PvP update was an exception (which I know you are thinking of), but that was mainly because it threw the economy into wild inflation, which in turned harmed players with no relation to PvP.

The main point that the high-level runecrafter supporters were addressing (and yes, crying about as well. Some people are so melodramatic) is that the update effectively ignored any benefits for high level runecrafters; in other words, no increase in runes, and therefore profit, along with the rest of the skill. That is a perfectly valid point that you shouldn't ignore.

By that logic, Jagex should only update the middle levels that the majority of players possess. This is also logic that is completely killing the innovation and development of the gaming industry. The PvP update was an exception (which I know you are thinking of), but that was mainly because it threw the economy into wild inflation, which in turned harmed players with no relation to PvP.

The main point that the high-level runecrafter supporters were addressing (and yes, crying about as well. Some people are so melodramatic) is that the update effectively ignored any benefits for high level runecrafters; in other words, no increase in runes, and therefore profit, along with the rest of the skill. That is a perfectly valid point that you shouldn't ignore.

They're whining about nothing. Just ignore them for a while and they'll shut up.

If Jagex introduced this "scale" system from the start, would they be complaining in the first place? They've already earned enough money from their 91 RC. It's just that they're greedy for more. And regardless of the lowering of the prices of nature runes, isn't 91 RC still profitable? It's not like it suddenly became completely useless. They can still earn MORE money than those with less than 91 RC, albeit (not so) significantly less than before.

I swear I posted here before... I looked through the thread however and didn't find any post by Dr. Cox so I think I'll just post again.

I love mining the way it is. I don't mind having to powermine for levels. I just pop in my earphones, turn on the cricket and I mine away. So far I'm having a heap of fun.

I don't think that mining should be changed as a skill. It is meant to be hard to level without focus and it accomplishes that. Not every skill should be another Woocutting or Fishing if you gather things -.-

Agreed. :P

I do agree that addy/mith rocks are extremely downplayed though. Put them in better areas where banking is a bit easier (mith is located in the guild, but personally it could be better/ore places to mine/bank). And don't get me started on addy... that, at the moment, is definitely not worth mining. Most people (including myself) skip/are going to skip addy/mith for cash and head straight to runs, which is very sad imo. But there is no incentive or reason to actually go out there for an hour and mine these ores, unless you need some cash desperately or you are superheating.

There are several good places with mixed mith/addy. If you make it easier to get ores, prices will just drop anyway so there's no point.