Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mining Sucks (round 2)

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Karvinen
[ Display Name History ]

Karvinen

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
The easiest way of getting adamantite bars isn't mining adamantite ore and coal and smelting them, but killing aviansies. Mithril ore comes from cockroaches. This is another problem in mining - the items gathered with the skill aren't unique to the skill.

Knotch_Blade
[ Display Name History ]

Knotch_Blade

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Knotch V2
I completely agree with you sort of.

I've hated mining since I started playing RuneScape in like 2004, but only in February of 2009 did I actually start to like the skill, I'm now 95 mining and rising...

I do not think that multiple ores/rock would make sense.

Lets look at it realistically, there is a huge tree, you get multiple logs.

You throw a harpoon into a space of water, you're bound to hit more than one fish.

BUT...

Mining is different, each rock is one opening to a larger deposit below, and that's why with the exception of rune ore there is more than one rock type per "mine".

I agree entirely with the second point about the location of mid-high level ore.

The third point about powermining... powermining is just like camping at bandits or w/e it's just for the experience. This brings me back to the first point... in real life, there are trees around a bank/town, but a huge mine would most likely be underground/outside of town, making ore banking kind of a ridiculous prospect.

unkn0wnwarrior
[ Display Name History ]

unkn0wnwarrior

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,855 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Dougymc
  • RSN2:Doug M

The easiest way of getting adamantite bars isn't mining adamantite ore and coal and smelting them, but killing aviansies. Mithril ore comes from cockroaches. This is another problem in mining - the items gathered with the skill aren't unique to the skill.

There are creatures that drop fish and logs, too.

O_M_G_Guasto
[ Display Name History ]

O_M_G_Guasto

Banned

• Banned
  • 461 posts
  • RSN:O M G Guasto
  • Clan:Bros
Mining is not going to become another easy 99 to add to your harem. Sorry.
Posted Image

Moad14
[ Display Name History ]

Moad14

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • RSN:Aufblitzen
  • Clan:Nexus

It just needs to be more reasonable, not easy. That's assuming you subscribe to "easy" and "hard" skills when everyone knows it's just mindless clicking.
I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D

It just needs to be more reasonable, not easy. That's assuming you subscribe to "easy" and "hard" skills when everyone knows it's just mindless clicking.

To add on to this, the scope of the rant wasn't to make Mining easy, it was to make Mining purposeful again. Besides, what you call 'easy', I call 'tedious'. If you really thought about it, every skill in RS is 'easy' - it just depends on how much time you have to plunk into the skill.

I do not think that multiple ores/rock would make sense.

Lets look at it realistically, there is a huge tree, you get multiple logs.

You throw a harpoon into a space of water, you're bound to hit more than one fish.

BUT...

Mining is different, each rock is one opening to a larger deposit below, and that's why with the exception of rune ore there is more than one rock type per "mine".

You're probably right, looking at it from a realistic sense. But, then again, if we look at anything else from a realistic sense, we're going to make most, if not all of our skills exponentially harder. I think there's some wiggle room with that.

There's also the anomaly of multiple ore deposits in the same rock, which is a principle that iron miners have used since the early ages. If they know that this rock contains some ore, then they'll just keep mining it until they either have too many (useless) rocks, or enough of the ore for them to refine.

The third point about powermining... powermining is just like camping at bandits or w/e it's just for the experience. This brings me back to the first point... in real life, there are trees around a bank/town, but a huge mine would most likely be underground/outside of town, making ore banking kind of a ridiculous prospect.

Again, what I said was that "the possibility of power-leveling exists". This is actually true for most every skill, except Slayer. What I contend is that there is no other alternative to leveling Mining outside of power-leveling, which defeats the purpose of gathering ore in the first place.

I also see that you're looking at things in a literal, matter-of-fact sense. That's fine, but we're talking RS here - not everything has to be realistic or have realistic-like behaviors, namely this skill. I just don't see the point of dancing with Carpal Tunnel to get a 99 in a skill when you haven't mined a single Adamant ore a day in your life.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Fools_Taco
[ Display Name History ]

Fools_Taco

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • RSN:Fools Taco
  • Clan:Skilling Guild.
Peoples 3 biggest complaints about skills in runescape? Mining, Agility, Runecrafting. This is the year they said they were fixing things. They just did agility. Trust me im sure they will overhaul mining sometime. Just hold out on the skill for now.

The second they make it like fishing and woodcutting it will be my next cape. Fishing and woodcutting were nice easy afk capes to get. I got them first.

Im sure all the cookers, fishers and woodcutters were mad when they updated those skills. The miners will get over it someday, its called progress. Jagax has 0 care about the respect of capes.

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Quelmotz
  • RSN2:Nil

Peoples 3 biggest complaints about skills in runescape? Mining, Agility, Runecrafting. This is the year they said they were fixing things. They just did agility. Trust me im sure they will overhaul mining sometime. Just hold out on the skill for now.

The second they make it like fishing and woodcutting it will be my next cape. Fishing and woodcutting were nice easy afk capes to get. I got them first.

Im sure all the cookers, fishers and woodcutters were mad when they updated those skills. The miners will get over it someday, its called progress. Jagax has 0 care about the respect of capes.

Well said =D>

Anyway, consider this a free bump.

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath

Minings allready a great money making skill.

And, because of oversupply of ores, it won't necessarily make it a better money making skill, infact to be honest, all it would really do in the long run is make smithing cheaper and easier, mining easier, and generally stuff things up.

That's not the scope of this rant. I don't much care if Mining becomes profitable or not, all I want is for Mining to have its dignity again.

True. Who wants a money-making skill that takes INCREDIBLY long periods of time of grinding away doing pointless training JUST to earn some money. They are much easier ways to earn money (for members), and for f2p, getting 85 mining just takes too long.

Give me some of these "much easier ways" which have more money making potential than mining, while at the same time don't require high skill requirements.

Also, look at what it would do. If you could get multiple rune ore per rock, rune prices would drop to all hell, as would any ore prices, etc etc.
O.O

Bloodkay
[ Display Name History ]

Bloodkay

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 339 posts
You make good points, Makoto. On lower leveled ores, I would love to see multiple ores per rock. Though I'm not sure if there's a shortage on lower level ores in the first place. For the three high level ores, level-depending, a few ores per rock would be okay, but I still say it would flood the market with ores no one would really use. Unless because of this, there's a huge rush of Smithing.

Anyways, I'm meh about this. I'm fine with it now, but wouldn't care or would welcome it if they changed it.
Taking a Playstation 3 break.
Posted Image

Plugpoint
[ Display Name History ]

Plugpoint

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • RSN:0utkast
  • RSN '07:Iron 0utkast

just a thought on the multiple ores, maybe it could work like runecrafting to some extent. No idea on numbers but say by the time you get 85 mining you get 2 addy ores per rock.

That's a pretty good idea.

I think that you need some challenging skills in the game. I mean I know mining's boring but getting to say 70 mining feels more rewarding than 70 cooking. If every skill was easy the game would be boring, everyone would be good at everything and people would give up. It's nice to have a few more difficult skills in the game.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts

Minings allready a great money making skill.

And, because of oversupply of ores, it won't necessarily make it a better money making skill, infact to be honest, all it would really do in the long run is make smithing cheaper and easier, mining easier, and generally stuff things up.

That's not the scope of this rant. I don't much care if Mining becomes profitable or not, all I want is for Mining to have its dignity again.

True. Who wants a money-making skill that takes INCREDIBLY long periods of time of grinding away doing pointless training JUST to earn some money. They are much easier ways to earn money (for members), and for f2p, getting 85 mining just takes too long.

Give me some of these "much easier ways" which have more money making potential than mining, while at the same time don't require high skill requirements.

Also, look at what it would do. If you could get multiple rune ore per rock, rune prices would drop to all hell, as would any ore prices, etc etc.

I realize that this isn't directed at me, per se, but something that doesn't require high skill requirements, which has more money-making potential than Mining would be clue scrolls. Doesn't take much effort to get into Taverley dungeon with 50-60 range and camp until you get a level 3 scroll.

Again, I realize that prices would fall on ores, but it's still a good thing - if the prices for ores drop, then the demand will rise, meaning that the prices will rise to meet the demand.

You make good points, Makoto. On lower leveled ores, I would love to see multiple ores per rock. Though I'm not sure if there's a shortage on lower level ores in the first place. For the three high level ores, level-depending, a few ores per rock would be okay, but I still say it would flood the market with ores no one would really use. Unless because of this, there's a huge rush of Smithing.

Anyways, I'm meh about this. I'm fine with it now, but wouldn't care or would welcome it if they changed it.

That's just the idea - to give Smithing its feeder skill back. Of course, there's still a fair bit of work to be done on it.

I think that you need some challenging skills in the game. I mean I know mining's boring but getting to say 70 mining feels more rewarding than 70 cooking. If every skill was easy the game would be boring, everyone would be good at everything and people would give up. It's nice to have a few more difficult skills in the game.

There's a difference between 'challenging' and 'pointless'. Runecrafting is challenging; quite literally the slowest skill in the game to train, with optimal experience gains per day coming between 60K and 435K [RScript Tracker backs me up on this], and the runes you make are actually useful. Mining is pointless, since chances are, you're not using it to its fullest potential, and mining Mithril/Adamant for Smithing or to sell on the market is typically out of the question. Heck, if players sold off all of the Iron they powermined, then there wouldn't be all this talk about 'inflation'...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

I realize that this isn't directed at me, per se, but something that doesn't require high skill requirements, which has more money-making potential than Mining would be clue scrolls. Doesn't take much effort to get into Taverley dungeon with 50-60 range and camp until you get a level 3 scroll.

Again, I realize that prices would fall on ores, but it's still a good thing - if the prices for ores drop, then the demand will rise, meaning that the prices will rise to meet the demand.

Clue scrolls suck, the chances of getting third age is stupid beyond all else. Plus, a great deal of level 3 clue scrolls have annoying quest requirements.

Oh and, the demand may rise, but in the end, we have a million people trying to sell there rune armor, which just won't sell, and rune armor will drop.

I can imagine people in f2p PVP running around in full rune and still not risking 75k.
O.O

mister_moocky
[ Display Name History ]

mister_moocky

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,952 posts
  • RSN:lMl MrMoocky
I bank my iron ore...
quit

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts

Clue scrolls suck, the chances of getting third age is stupid beyond all else. Plus, a great deal of level 3 clue scrolls have annoying quest requirements.

Oh and, the demand may rise, but in the end, we have a million people trying to sell there rune armor, which just won't sell, and rune armor will drop.

I can imagine people in f2p PVP running around in full rune and still not risking 75k.

Again, I'm not taking this thread to another topic, but Clue scrolls don't require high skill requirements (and no, Quests don't require high skill requirements either, at least the ones you need to complete the level 3 scrolls), and they have more potential for higher gains of cash than 85 Mining does. That's what you asked, but again, we're not talking about that.

I'm starting to believe that you're clutching at straws here, and it seems like you have been since you started this up. How does demand for Rune ore rising equate to a run on Rune armor? Just because Rune ore gives you multiple ores per rock doesn't mean that Rune armor will fall, really - in fact, most players get their armor from NPCs or shops anyway. Next, the number of people that can make full Rune is still pretty small, so a major drop in that wouldn't happen until there were lots more.

For the last time, the scope of this rant is simply to give Mining back its dignity as a feeder skill to Smithing; right now it has none. I'm not concerned with the market or how stable it would be if Adamant/Mithril came back, all I want for Mining is to have a purpose again, okay?

Can we stick to that?

s1L0U.jpg

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
  • RSN:Quelmotz
  • RSN2:Nil

I bank my iron ore...

So what? Everything will have exceptions. :roll:

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
Anyway, as much as it would be lovely to improve mining, the economic effects would suck [wagon].
O.O

Plugpoint
[ Display Name History ]

Plugpoint

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • RSN:0utkast
  • RSN '07:Iron 0utkast

There's a difference between 'challenging' and 'pointless'. Runecrafting is challenging; quite literally the slowest skill in the game to train, with optimal experience gains per day coming between 60K and 435K [RScript Tracker backs me up on this], and the runes you make are actually useful. Mining is pointless, since chances are, you're not using it to its fullest potential, and mining Mithril/Adamant for Smithing or to sell on the market is typically out of the question. Heck, if players sold off all of the Iron they powermined, then there wouldn't be all this talk about 'inflation'...

The difference between challenging and pointless is your own opinion which depends on how you play the game.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Zierro
[ Display Name History ]

Zierro

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,253 posts
I completely agree with the first two points, but as for the last, I don't see a problem with grinding. Whether you train for money, skill/quest requirements, or for just achieving a level goal it's really all the same. You can't put an absolute value on those. You might see the quest requirement as more important than the other things, but someone else might feel that achieving the level goal is the more important one.

1roddad1
[ Display Name History ]

1roddad1

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 98 posts
The purpose of mining was to be able to smith stuff. Back in the days of old you could make a lot of money smithing but now you can't. And because people really only smith for either quest requirements, to mine runite, or get the cape (Which usually is one of the last resource skills to obtain), no one really seems to care about mining. :shock: :|

But Jagex has already noticed this problem. If you complete the Varrock Diaries, your special armor allows you to mine more than one ore (just 2? FAILURE) up to Adamantite. I'd actually do the skill if it had some major updates. All I see in F2P is macros, and all I see in P2P is powerminers (Macros as well). :wall:

Jagex does need to update this skill. The only update its ever had was the rocks graphical update (for those who don't know, the rocks looked like what the ring of stone turns you into). I can't count Inferno Adze as an update since its only true use is woodcutting. Burn logs+Dragon Hatchet=win! Rune pickaxe=no. Fail. :wall:
There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users