PvP Artifacts and It's Effect on Runescape Economy

Dire_Wolf

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the money I make from tricking, I am going to turn around and spend on skills. One of my top priorities is construction and summoning, both of which are money sinks. And you need to look at the bigger picture. The only way you could fall victim to inflation is if the majority of your banks wealth is stored in cash, which I'm sure isn't true for most active players. Otherwise,

And I find 26king very fun. I look forward to getting off work, going home and training skills for 4x xp with brawlers, gaining and killing targets, and tricking when my ep gets full. Random drops are fun as well. It's like a drop party hosted by Jagex.

Also, if Jagex has a plan to introduce something new that takes out a good chunk of cash, then inflation is a good thing, as massive deflation(which happens with most items in general as newer stuff is introduced) can have bad effects...

Lastly don't try to predict what is going to happen with the runescape economy. There are things that effect the prices of items that go further than just supply and demand.

w4M8t.png

Your a little late to be calling the economy ruined.

Jagex blew it up with godwars dungeon and coinshare a couple of years ago.

I like the idea of jagex flirting with fixed price items like statues.

Could be real good if they start introducing that in collectable resources to help rebalance the game.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

What people don't realize is that the more GP flooded in, the less it becomes worth. Sure you can make 2.5M in an hour, but when the prices of items are soaring, that 2.5M becomes proportionately like having 250k.

Exactly :wall:

What we also need to keep in mind is that people might spend the money they earn on summoning, construction, chinchompas for ranging, dragon bones, anything that can drain the money they made. Whether or not we see dragon bones rise 1k each depends on how soon they can get this under control :ohnoes:

The only things that youmentioned that are really money drains are summoning and construction. The rest just involve the removal of items from the game and the money moving from one person to another. The GE and player-to-player trades are NOT money sinks in any way shape or form.

The only ways to remove cash from the game (what would be needed to counteract the massive amounts coming in via 26king were it left in place) involve people buying items from shops/npcs, dropping it or dieing with it.

If Jagex leaves this issue alone, inflation will continue on a massive scale indefinitely. Personally, I think Jagex should go back to the items as a quick fix (what's causing the inflation is the increase in the level of cash in the market) to stop the massive inflation rates and then start working on a solution that will allow for the items to be taken back off the PVP drop tables while also not allowing any more inflation (the idea of limiting the possible value of a drop to x times the value risked is one possible solution).

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

My bad Acenator. I guess I didn't think that through all the way. Although the bones are being used, the money is still in existence. Wouldn't introducing the items back into the game be just as bad though? Although it isn't pure cash, a whip is still 1.8M worth of GP being thrown into the game

Maybe they should just pull the plug on PvP until they find something that actually works...

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Bring back the same PKing system they used on RS1... There was nothing wrong with it. And you killed someone to get what they was using/wearing, end of discussion. That's how it should be...

For instance, if you kill someone with Dragon Claws and you're EP's at like 2%, you're probably gonna get some 20k statue thing or something... It's pointless.

The real issue is... Why the hell do I keep a combat bracelet over Dragon Boots?!?!!?!??!?!!?!?

Bring back the same PKing system they used on RS1... There was nothing wrong with it. And you killed someone to get what they was using/wearing, end of discussion. That's how it should be...

For instance, if you kill someone with Dragon Claws and you're EP's at like 2%, you're probably gonna get some 20k statue thing or something... It's pointless.

The real issue is... Why the hell do I keep a combat bracelet over Dragon Boots?!?!!?!??!?!!?!?

it's called real world trading. it is not only unfair but also actually costs Jagex money even if 200k autoers are paying $5 a month

Y_Z.png

What about price caps? What happens if inflation boosts the prices of certain items all the way to their upper limit? Will the people with all this cash just buy more of the items? Or will they start buying other items instead?

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Well it used to be 2m/hr steady if someone nettled with their target but now you have to fight for real or dds dm so it's less. But it's still minimum 1m/hr with brawlers added onto that. It's too much money for doing nothing especially considering half of pvp is doing it. Even though I do tricking quite often(mainly for brawlers) I agree it should be nerfed.

nvm dark bow was fixed apparently

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

what's wrong with more expensive items?

The people earning money a legitimate way have to work much harder for the same pay off.

1.pvp isn't cheating, so it's legit.

2.their own fault?

3. That bucket didn't hold much water...

w4M8t.png

My bad Acenator. I guess I didn't think that through all the way. Although the bones are being used, the money is still in existence. Wouldn't introducing the items back into the game be just as bad though? Although it isn't pure cash, a whip is still 1.8M worth of GP being thrown into the game

Maybe they should just pull the plug on PvP until they find something that actually works...

Replacing a cash inflow with an item inflow produces the opposite result. Instead of the currency losing value and prices rising, the item(s) lose value and prices drop. Admittedly, this isn't exactly any more ideal than the currency losing value, but, imo, it is better than what is happeneing now and it would be best if they returned the pvp drops to actual items while they work on a suitable solution that won't cause too much of either problem.

As said before, limiting the value of pvp drops based on the actual amount being risked could be one way to do this (ie you can't get more than 2* times the value of what you're risking). Another way might include mixing the two drop tables (ie make the drop tables include both the artifacts and the items) while also increasing the rarity of these artifact things (and possibly the items as well). Now that I think about it, combining the above options might also be a great idea as well.

*This number is arbitrary. It could be a good number to start with but I am by no means saying that it is the best option.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Yeah, it really sucks when you see your coins on that GE graph depreciating in value everyday...

Yeah...I can say I contribute to it. This story is just crazy..I agree, too much money can come into the game this way...but w/e, til they fix it, it's fair game.

So today, I'm pking, and I get rushed+smited...yep, prayer went to zero and I died and lost my whip. I was pretty upset, but I knew I was close to my target.

I gear back up, buy another whip, and go into the wild for a little bit. I get my target who is a guy in full dharoks, and he asks me to fight. I tell him I don't fight dharoks as I don't have vengence. Now this kid was a real whiner. I was getting pretty annoyed when I told him I would dds+75k dm him. He didn't agree at first, but after a small bit of persuading, he decides to agree.

We both get 75k, equip a dds, and fill our inventories with sharks. We goto the edge of the wild, he attacks(I was already skulled), and it's a close fight...I had 4 food when he ran out...he drops with about 900k worth of stuff on the ground...but he remains my target :shock: .

So I tell him to rematch and i'll let him 26k me if I win again. This time, the fight was shorter as I koed him about 15 seconds in. Another 900k or so on the ground. He tries to pj me while i'm picking up the drop, but I forgive him anyway...letting him 26k me. He gets like a 300k drop, and I ask him if I can 26k him to get rid of my last 1ep, as I kind of OCD over that kind of thing. He agree's and I kill him again for another 350k...I'm like wow..and my ep goes to zero. I'm about ready to log and call it a night when he tells me that I can still get a drop even with zero ep. I was pretty sure this was false, but tried the 26k again. I kill him real quick, he drops and i'm going through the loot. hmm, half apple pizza, glory amulet, siren statuet...whatever, I'm thinking that the item is prob the 20k drop. I go to show him the loot...turns out siren statuet is worth 1m :shock: . He tells me to go again...so we do...I get about 100k in junk. we did this about 4 more times where I was making a profit on every drop except last 2, which I didn't get any loot(not even my coins back)...

Now i'm staring at the extra 4m in cash sitting in my bank in disbelief. It used to be if I died while pking, I would quit for the day...go punch some bags, lift some weights, blow off some steam. Now it seems like you can make the money back 26k for about 30 minutes :S...

PS: I gained 2 sets of agility brawlers during this escapade, which I was excited about.

w4M8t.png

In some strange way jagex knew this would happen. I am almost positive.

Just wait it out guys; the amount of non-pk 26kers will go down as prices of everything else rises. It is just very lucrative at the moment because it IS a better money maker than most other activities at the moment, as goofy as it is.

The statue prices and drops are static; that is, they will never change (albeit if Jagex doesn't change anything). Yet, the prices of everything else is and WILL continue to go up until a certain equilibrium is achieved. And why is this OK? Because people will actually start fishing sharks, gwding, etc. as they get to the point of being "worth" it. What will the prices be? No idea, gestalt comes to mind in this case and we'll have to wait and see.

Anyone and their grandma can 26k, yet there is a certain utility for having high stats, or being a good boss fighter, although it isn't showing at the moment, it will. Give the market time to assimilate. Nonetheless, welcome to a new era of prices.

Buy Buy Buy.

Oh, and I'm definitely not in favor of this ridiculousness, but it's a good try by Jagex.

untitled8copyiu7.gif

There are enough ways the money is taken out of the game,

I see nothing wrong, fm, summon, con all take money out, pvp armor\weps do as well,

i haven't seen any inflation, and either way ppl were doing this to make money, when prices go back up they be back to mhing instead of 26king.

Face it is their any other good ways to make a large sum of cash fast? No,

And every single one of us look for the best way... ;)

A mistake done by Jagex by making drop rates of some PvP items does not mean you have found the best way to make cash. :|

Best way is Runecrafting. Personally i did not realize these PvP artifacts would have such big impact on economy of Runescape.

But now i have realized it's really "CHEAP" i refuse to do it. This kind of behaviour towards earning GP easy way is considered same thing as cheating if you ask me.

What's difference between players who bot and those who don't? Boters don't give a [bleep] and have no meaning to what they are doing where as players who don't bot they have a challenge ahead of them and work hard for it.

Making the result of their hard work mean something.

Best way to make money yoy say?

1) Assemble a good team with friends and go GWD

2) Level your Runecrafting to 91 and earn cash (That's what a friend of mine is doing!)

3) Do Slayer and Treasure trails

4) Do Herb farming

There is tons way to earn good cash.

As for "Inflation", you have no idea what your talking about. I don't consider myself smart, and even i can see that many items price have increased. If there is not a inflation now, it most likely will happene. Even a friend of mine whos going for 99 Prayer is having trouble buying Dragon bones, guess what? That started when Artifacts were released!

Decent players who work for their GP have worked for it. You have a choice, do "CHEAP" cash which means nothing or..work for the GP.

i've resorted to cheap money making due ot going solo dags can't even get a drop over 2m,

barrows is not very profitable, theres item less than 100k

GWD is full of massers n ls, + solo sara isn't nearly as efficient as it used to be

d chains are under 5m

Merchanting is killed due to the limit, and you never know with the Ge too unstable to merch in

Yet getting 99's are just as expensive ( for the most part )

Hopefully prices go back up so mhing becomes worthy, although it is fun, gotta have money for the most part to do it ( gone on over 1k trips, only have yielded 2 hilts.. )

I think these artifacts help the game, cause Gp is constantly burn + replenished into the ecomony daily, I bet nothin will happen, n the ppl who like it will keep doing it, and the people who dnt like it will eventually try it :D

i've been around for about 6 years, n all i have seen is this game get easier n easier, So also this kind of update doesn't surprise me. N jagex doesn't mind 26king. So doubt it'll get nurfed, they may change the way u get Ep, but thats it. I do not see how tho... ppl always find ways around it.

Basically it boils down to this. If u like it keep doing it, if you don't Pj all 26kers n be on ur way, collect the loot in the process :D

armahiltsigsk7.png

hiltbannerfd4.png

Killer3650.png

Killer3650.png

Home World: 99

Irc-Chat: #Aod

Ok, I'm a bit tired of Jagex messing things up so I'm going to sum up why artifacts can not be allowed to stay. Please read the entire article for my views on Jagex's attempt to bring back PvP or skip to the end for my solution.

The problem at the moment with PvP imo is that Jagex does not have a good definition for Pking. In RS, there are usually many things you can do to manufacture money. I use manufacture because in an essence, you are either generating GP out of nothing or taking an existing item, modifying it, and allow it to grow in value. However, all of this can be filed down to 2 groups. You have your gathering skills (Woodcut, Mining, Hunting, Fishing, Slayer, etc) and your manufacturing skills (Runecraft, Fletching for junk, Herb farm, etc).

Now, a common misconception for people is that PKing "makes/manufactures" money/wealth. That is simply not true. Unlike the skills a person trains and gains items from, pking is merely a form of "trade". Before the anti-RWT movement that put a trade limit on every item, removed classic pking (in which the winner receives all the items that the loser risks), pking was a form of exchange much like merchanting. There is always a winner and a loser in a trade, but no NEW wealth is created by this trade.

After the release of PvP worlds, Jagex made the mistake of allowing Pking to manufacture new wealth. Hence the 26k trick is allowed to work. By doing this, Jagex first saturated the economy with "extra" items that does not originally belong within the economy, ex. DFS and DFH being the 2 prime examples. These extra items allowed the economy to deflate. Causing previously elite items to become worth a lot less as seen from DFH. This only affected part of the economy as only a few items types were being introduced at a much faster pace compared to before.

After Jagex introduced artifacts however, they made one of the biggest mistakes in the most basic forms of macroeconomics concepts. By introducing artifacts, an extra form of GP, they now not only INFLATED the entire economy, but they now have affected the ENTIRE economy by the new introduction of 1 item. This extra form of GP which I call "fake" gp (due to the fact that it does not belong with the original RS economy) will cause the economy to inflate, as seen only a few days after the artifacts update. This situation will only progress further to a point in time that GP will become useless as people will struggle to find a new type of currency (Trading Sticks maybe? Throwing it out there as it is a trade able form of currency).

Now some people might ask, "How will GP become useless? It is impossible!" Pre world war 2 in Germany, the German government decided to inflate their own economy due to the fact that it was impossible to pay off debt to the victorious allies from world war 1. A loaf of bread cost as much as 1 billion marks at that point. A closer example in time would be the Zimbabwe economic crisis in which is the same situation. Extra German Marks and Zimbabwe dollar introduced within the economy nearly destroyed the country until a new form of currency was introduced and revalued.

My solution to fixing this is not going to be a popular one. Unfortunately it is the best way I see to fix this current economy. Pvp will be turned to something such as construction or Summoning, a skill which drains money. The US government is the best country in the world at doing this with the help of the Central bank and distributing Bonds. Pking will be given a tax at random between 70-10% depending on EP. The tax will work in the following way: If player A vs player B, and player A kills player B. Player A will be given a random tax depending on the EP on the loot he recieves. The loot originally will equal to the amount that player B was RISKING calculated depending on skull and protect items. This tax will be taken out of the economy, draining the extra wealth that is entering into the economy.

This solution would bring PvP closer to what it had been prior to the anti-RWT updates. It will force Pkers to Pickout a target due to the tax. It will drive down 1-iteming as it will not be profitable any longer. It will also eliminate the 26kers as all they will be doing is losing money rather than making new money. Thank you for reading (assuming you did read everything :))

120dgl.jpg

i've resorted to cheap money making due ot going solo dags can't even get a drop over 2m,

barrows is not very profitable, theres item less than 100k

GWD is full of massers n ls, + solo sara isn't nearly as efficient as it used to be

d chains are under 5m

Merchanting is killed due to the limit, and you never know with the Ge too unstable to merch in

Yet getting 99's are just as expensive ( for the most part )

Hopefully prices go back up so mhing becomes worthy, although it is fun, gotta have money for the most part to do it ( gone on over 1k trips, only have yielded 2 hilts.. )

I think these artifacts help the game, cause Gp is constantly burn + replenished into the ecomony daily, I bet nothin will happen, n the ppl who like it will keep doing it, and the people who dnt like it will eventually try it :D

i've been around for about 6 years, n all i have seen is this game get easier n easier, So also this kind of update doesn't surprise me. N jagex doesn't mind 26king. So doubt it'll get nurfed, they may change the way u get Ep, but thats it. I do not see how tho... ppl always find ways around it.

Basically it boils down to this. If u like it keep doing it, if you don't Pj all 26kers n be on ur way, collect the loot in the process :D

You do realise that if real inflation happens, GWD won't make any more? you will make more money, but that money will be worth less. You'll still have to GWD x hours to get prayer lvl y...

Ok, I'm a bit tired of Jagex messing things up so I'm going to sum up why artifacts can not be allowed to stay. Please read the entire article for my views on Jagex's attempt to bring back PvP or skip to the end for my solution.

The problem at the moment with PvP imo is that Jagex does not have a good definition for Pking. In RS, there are usually many things you can do to manufacture money. I use manufacture because in an essence, you are either generating GP out of nothing or taking an existing item, modifying it, and allow it to grow in value. However, all of this can be filed down to 2 groups. You have your gathering skills (Woodcut, Mining, Hunting, Fishing, Slayer, etc) and your manufacturing skills (Runecraft, Fletching for junk, Herb farm, etc).

Now, a common misconception for people is that PKing "makes/manufactures" money/wealth. That is simply not true. Unlike the skills a person trains and gains items from, pking is merely a form of "trade". Before the anti-RWT movement that put a trade limit on every item, removed classic pking (in which the winner receives all the items that the loser risks), pking was a form of exchange much like merchanting. There is always a winner and a loser in a trade, but no NEW wealth is created by this trade.

After the release of PvP worlds, Jagex made the mistake of allowing Pking to manufacture new wealth. Hence the 26k trick is allowed to work. By doing this, Jagex first saturated the economy with "extra" items that does not originally belong within the economy, ex. DFS and DFH being the 2 prime examples. These extra items allowed the economy to deflate. Causing previously elite items to become worth a lot less as seen from DFH. This only affected part of the economy as only a few items types were being introduced at a much faster pace compared to before.

After Jagex introduced artifacts however, they made one of the biggest mistakes in the most basic forms of macroeconomics concepts. By introducing artifacts, an extra form of GP, they now not only INFLATED the entire economy, but they now have affected the ENTIRE economy by the new introduction of 1 item. This extra form of GP which I call "fake" gp (due to the fact that it does not belong with the original RS economy) will cause the economy to inflate, as seen only a few days after the artifacts update. This situation will only progress further to a point in time that GP will become useless as people will struggle to find a new type of currency (Trading Sticks maybe? Throwing it out there as it is a trade able form of currency).

Now some people might ask, "How will GP become useless? It is impossible!" Pre world war 2 in Germany, the German government decided to inflate their own economy due to the fact that it was impossible to pay off debt to the victorious allies from world war 1. A loaf of bread cost as much as 1 billion marks at that point. A closer example in time would be the Zimbabwe economic crisis in which is the same situation. Extra German Marks and Zimbabwe dollar introduced within the economy nearly destroyed the country until a new form of currency was introduced and revalued.

My solution to fixing this is not going to be a popular one. Unfortunately it is the best way I see to fix this current economy. Pvp will be turned to something such as construction or Summoning, a skill which drains money. The US government is the best country in the world at doing this with the help of the Central bank and distributing Bonds. Pking will be given a tax at random between 70-10% depending on EP. The tax will work in the following way: If player A vs player B, and player A kills player B. Player A will be given a random tax depending on the EP on the loot he recieves. The loot originally will equal to the amount that player B was RISKING calculated depending on skull and protect items. This tax will be taken out of the economy, draining the extra wealth that is entering into the economy.

This solution would bring PvP closer to what it had been prior to the anti-RWT updates. It will force Pkers to Pickout a target due to the tax. It will drive down 1-iteming as it will not be profitable any longer. It will also eliminate the 26kers as all they will be doing is losing money rather than making new money. Thank you for reading (assuming you did read everything :))

First off, because of the mechanics of the game, GP will never be driven to the point of the global depression, specifically germany because they combated the situation by printing more money.

I don't feel like reposting the same thing over, so I encourage you to go back and read all my posts(on this topic as well as other, although sometimes I contradict myself as I realize things)...

I say let it be. See what happens, but don't think that this will ruin Runescape. For many, it has made it more fun.

w4M8t.png

Hmmm inflation.

Jagex should just sell T-Bonds... maybe increase the rate of return from MTK?

Whatever they do they need to eliminate some of this cash.

Edit: A possible solution might be to elimate alch spells from the mage book :o .. The only point of the spells were to put money into the economy and raise mage xp... There are others way to do the latter.

1288581197250-1.jpg