Bikes

Craiglowery

124300816204412ldu05cuv.jpg

I've not been out cycling as often as I should :?

Incidentally, don't you just hate how some road cyclists go to extremes to be "seen". By that I mean cycling in the middle of the lane. It ticks me off :evil:

I had my grandad's old racing bike before this one but unknown to me at the time, it had spent many a year submerged in the local canal! He gave it to me anyways and didn't tell me it wasn't road worthy. The back wheel wasn't securely fixed, the brakes came in slightly and polished the rims (no matter what I did with those damned brakes they stayed ineffective). All these things made for an interesting ride home. Fortunately the back wheel stayed on but just rotated round so it rested on the frame (chainstays I think they're called). So every so often I'd have to get off and knock the back wheel back into the right position (No tools :( ) The brakes were completely useless but fortunately the back wheel slowed me down when it hit the frame. I eventually binned it though my grandad thinks I sold it (There aren't any mental asylums nearby so I'm puzzled as to whom I could have sold it to...)

But the Carerra Virtuoso is much better though the chain was twisted when I got it, Halfords finest men took at least half a dozen looks at it though claimed it was just the position of the deraileurs (sp?). It was finally fixed in time for Pedal for Scotland.

Pedal for Scotland is a charity bike ride going from Glasgow to Edinburgh, which was about 55 miles last year (the routes vary from year to year) I raised over £50 for Leukemia Research (not alot but every little helps!)

If this is allowed I'll post a couple of pictures of me during the ride (I'm the guy with the ridiculous glasses!)

PEDC1062.jpeg

PEDJ0699.jpeg

PEDG0626.jpeg

I think that's me done for now :lol: Good thread idea!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedal for Scotland is a charity bike ride going from Glasgow to Edinburgh, which was about 55 miles last year (the routes vary from year to year) I raised over £50 for Leukemia Research (not alot but every little helps!)

That sounds like an awesome ride, and thats great that you raised all that money for Leukemia research! I'm starting to train for a similar ride, it's a charity ride but it's much longer, http://www.aidslifecycle.org/

Oh, and these are my dream frames =P~

[hide=]IMGP4216.jpgjune26panasonicfade_l.jpg[/hide]

111-1.jpg

Cycling for me is like a daily activity for me. I own a 2007 Schwinn Le Tour GS which I got two years ago for when I first started college. During the second week of June this year I built my first bike, spent around $600 on everything. I started building the bike going in planning on making a single speed but I ended up turning it into a fixed gear but after doing around a 30 mile bike ride last week through Seattle I've decided to throw a freewheel on the left side of my wheel hub so I can switch between a fixed gear and a single speed whenever I want.

tFtfA.jpg

I (am learning to) ride bicycle trials (For those of you that don't know, its a bit like BMX, but slower, more precise, and more about jumping onto/off of obstacles).

I have an old Monty (one of the first bike trials companies) which I picked up used off of craigslist for 50 bucks :). Then I found it had a crack in the fork and had to spend about 200 bucks getting a new fork and getting it all repaired, not to mention having it in the shop for about 3 weeks because the fork was actually the wrong size because the bike is so old. Theres 24" (stock) or 20" (mod or modified) bikes. I have a 24", which looks a bit like a mountain bike. Mod bikes look like an odd BMX bike. I'll try to get a pic of it.

For those that don't know what a trials bike looks like, heres an adamant stock trials bike (imo one of the best trials bikes around).

[hide=Adamant Trials Bike]trialsbike.jpg[/hide]

As you can see the most obvious trait is that it doesn't have a seat. This allows for a lot easier movement when doing pedal kicks, hopping, and is easier to balance. A lot of trials bikes don't have any seat, or have a very small one (my bike has a tiny hard plastic thats about 4 inches long).

And just because I think they're awesome, heres some of my favorite trials videos.

Danny Macaskill- He has more of a faster and more flowing style of riding than most trials riders, and is heavily BMX influenced I would say. 3:10 is insane :shock:

Ryan Leech- Probably my biggest motivation to start trials riding, and my favorite rider. In my opinion, hes probably the best trials rider out there at the moment. He is a lot more of a "classic" trials rider, going slow and balancing a lot.

As of now, I'm mostly just hopping around. I can side hop up/down a couple staircases near where I live, and I can side-drop off of about a 3-4 foot ledge (parallel to the ledge, then hopping to the side off of it). 'Tis good fun :)

Ive been needing to get in shape, so I took up bike riding for fun. I ride about 20-40 mins a day around where I live.

The bike I own is one you would get from wal-mart. Like 120$ I think? But thats all I really need.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I really like Danny's riding style. It's trials yes, but there's a huge amount of Bmx influence involved as well, making it a lot more interesting to watch.

This is pretty cool, Ryan Leech's part in Kranked 6, trials meet Mountain biking.

I haven't rode my bike in ages. I'm not sure what it is, all I know is it's red and black. Maybe a diamondback? I really want to ride it now though. It might be a little small though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I really like Danny's riding style. It's trials yes, but there's a huge amount of Bmx influence involved as well, making it a lot more interesting to watch.

This is pretty cool, Ryan Leech's part in Kranked 6, trials meet Mountain biking.

I agree, his riding style is very interesting to watch.

And I have the Kranked 6 DVD, 'tis awesome :D. I like how you can hear his breathing in that video lol, puts it into perspective how much he's concentrating and all.

Lowers the bikes centre of gravity and it also keeps the seat out of the way :thumbup:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

WOO HOO!

I GOT A NEW BIKE! :twss: \'

[hide=]myride002.jpg[/hide]

Ignore the mess of my garage, and devour at the beauty of the bike ;)

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I managed to find a classic 1979 Centurion LeMans at a bike shop near the local university last year. It's a pain to keep maintained, but it's a very nice ride and incredibly fast for a road bike (I cruise on the streets at around 20 miles an hour on level and 30 coming down inclines). It practically cuts through concrete, and is quite a rush to ride.

I've installed a rack on the rear tire, and both a high-powered headlight (it's as strong as a car's low beams) and a tail light.

[hide=]IMG_1443.jpg?t=1247322468[/hide]

Mine is blue and doesn't have a little bow thingie :P. I'd add the mud guards but it would be a pain and I just moved to a beautiful downtown area with brick streets, so they would be hitting all the time.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I saw this vid and just felt like I had to post it.

[hide=][yt]lqCyTM1bF6Q[/yt][/hide]

It's Simon O'brien, a flatland BMX rider. I actually found the video because I was looking for the song (amazing song btw, the name is in title). When I started to watch it I was just amazed. Some of it is really insane, like around 2:40. Any fan of biking should check this out, its absolutely ridiculous.

Today I learnt to do the first of four doubles at the local dirt jumps. I only built up the courage after clearing a 2.5m tabletop at another set of jumps.

The first time I did it I went slightly too fast, laded on the flat between the first and second, and ended up flying off the edge of the second to barrel roll and land on my back in some nettles. Was fun though. About an hour after, I had five or six more attempts, cleared them all cleanly and smoothly. Am happy now.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Today I learnt to do the first of four doubles at the local dirt jumps. I only built up the courage after clearing a 2.5m tabletop at another set of jumps.

The first time I did it I went slightly too fast, laded on the flat between the first and second, and ended up flying off the edge of the second to barrel roll and land on my back in some nettles. Was fun though. About an hour after, I had five or six more attempts, cleared them all cleanly and smoothly. Am happy now.

Well done, it always feels good to beat a jump/s that was (were) challenging you. You'll progress a lot quicker with your attitude, safe to say landing in the nettles wasn't the most pleasent :lol:

To further progress my street riding I've decided on getting a BMX, looking at the WTP Envy as my sponsor (the shop) can hook me up pretty nicely

WTP Envy

Bike comes pretty dialed for a complete, nice amount of Eclat on it and according the the BMX guy in the shop the 2010 model coming out in September will be even more dialed. I'm getting it at trade price, only condition is any BMX event I enter I wear the shops t-shirts, sweet deal if you ask me.

EDIT: Craig, you think those guys are good? Watch this :lol:

[hide=Couriers][yt]KrPOKNU5Ds4[/yt][/hide]

[hide=]

Well done, it always feels good to beat a jump/s that was (were) challenging you. You'll progress a lot quicker with your attitude, safe to say landing in the nettles wasn't the most pleasent :lol:

To further progress my street riding I've decided on getting a BMX, looking at the WTP Envy as my sponsor (the shop) can hook me up pretty nicely

WTP Envy

Bike comes pretty dialed for a complete, nice amount of Eclat on it and according the the BMX guy in the shop the 2010 model coming out in September will be even more dialed. I'm getting it at trade price, only condition is any BMX event I enter I wear the shops t-shirts, sweet deal if you ask me.

Those couriers must have a mighty pair to navigate through New York, I've heard some scary stories of messengers there getting hit and abused while on the job. I met a NY messenger who had lighting fast reflexes, he could avoid almost any obstacle that would get in his way and could avoid being doored by shutting them as soon as he saw one open.

111-1.jpg

WTP Envy

They have the envy in my local shop, and I gotta say, it's a damn nice bike. Very light, very strong, very mobile. And it looks amazing.

If you can get it, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Im getting into BMX riding. I just have a 24" wal-mart bike atm, but Ive customized it alittle. painted it flat black and got some offroad tread tires. Im gettin there though, i can ride wheelies, and almost can do a footstop tailwhip :)

Untitled_zpsrs1nv3dr.pnginstabadge_zps761d5351.png

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

24" BMX? Sir, you have a mountain bike.

ojdv.jpg

To add to the conversation: why do so many city kids have bikes with around 2-3 shock absorbers? There's no point to having them unless you're going on a mud trail or something, and I know they never leave the city with their bikes.

I guarantee that they are either:

A - Riding a cheap "Wal-Mart" bike: they all come with waaay too many shocks.

B - Not very sophisticated cyclists that bought the bike because they think that it looks cool/think it's functional, when in truth, they look stupid riding it, and if you ever took that onto a real HT surface, they would have uneven, "overflex" that would slow them way down when they were up off the saddle, and onto "soft" trails (hilly, medium grade, non-paved or lightly-paved, like many bike trails) they would'nt be able to climb anything steep, would be slow on the flat sections, and then would have an uncomfortable ride on the way down because of the poor quality of their shock absorbency.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.