Bikes

Craiglowery

I don't even know how to ride a bike at fifteen. ._. Seeing some of these videos is just amazing to me.

Jesus! You need to learn ASAP! Biking is incredible, and is freedom :thumbup:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know how to ride a bike at fifteen. ._. Seeing some of these videos is just amazing to me.

Jesus! You need to learn ASAP! Biking is incredible, and is freedom :thumbup:

I know, you should be learning how to drive about now, you really need to get with the program.

mbqyk3.gif

24" BMX? Sir, you have a mountain bike.

Atleast I think its 24 lol. The last time I looked at the size tag was when i was looking at them.. might have got it mixed up, but its a Mongoose Hoop-D

Untitled_zpsrs1nv3dr.pnginstabadge_zps761d5351.png

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

Not quite. Mountain bikes are only very rarely 24", and almost always 26".

24" are usually just upscaled BMXs designed for dirt jumps.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Technically he could and he couldn't. Quite a lot of Racing BMXs (What BMX originally was, Bicycle Motocross) are still 24's. There are also what's called "cruisers" designed by many BMX companies who don't even associate themselves with the MTB industry.

The WeThePeople Avenue is a 24' cruisers, basically a hybrid of a BMX and MTB. Then again as you said, there is also many 24' MTB's, either way 24' MTB or BMXs are often designed for Dirt or Street.

I'm pretty bummed, someone stole my Schwinn frame. :cry:

I was replacing the bottom bracket and I left it on the porch of my house so I could get a glass of water, and someone walked right up and took it. Oh well, it was my fault for not locking it up. The good news is that i'm getting another used frame in a couple of days, and the parts that I ordered for my Schwinn will now go to the new frame for a fixie! \'

111-1.jpg

Wrong on both accounts.

Street bikes/dedicated dirt jump bikes are often 24", a couple of my mates have them. And what you are thinking of is not a BMX, but a mountain bike with rigid forks. In saying this, there are some 24" BMXes, but they are very uncommon.

And that sucks, but it also cool Craig ;)

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Wrong on both accounts.

Street bikes/dedicated dirt jump bikes are often 24", a couple of my mates have them. And what you are thinking of is not a BMX, but a mountain bike with rigid forks. In saying this, there are some 24" BMXes, but they are very uncommon.

Alright, i looked it up and it is 20" and weighs freakin 42 pounds!

I can j-hop pretty high atm on it, and I have been saving up for a new bike lately, so I might get an Eastern. They any good?

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

Wrong on both accounts.

Alright, i looked it up and it is 20" and weighs freakin 42 pounds!

I can j-hop pretty high atm on it, and I have been saving up for a new bike lately, so I might get an Eastern. They any good?

Eastern come with a good spec for the money, but the frames the Eastern parts are pretty weak and prone to cracking. Personally, you get a lesser spec but a stronger bike, I'd go for any of the http://www.wethepeople.de, they make some very solid bikes and parts, all the way from 18' kids bike to pro level frames, forks, bars etc.

My personal recommendation WTP Crysis, pretty decently priced, good quality parts with a reasonable spec for the price. Avoid anything with Gyros if they're not marketed at park riding, usually very bad bikes, avoid anything that doesn't have a 4130 Frame and Fork.

What's wrong with the cheap Wal-Mart bikes? I'm looking to get a bike, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on it. I don't really need it to be good for roads, since I will mostly be riding it around my property. It also doesn't need to be good for doing tricks or anything either, just good grip and able to go up and down fairly steep grass/dirt hills easily. Any suggestions?

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

What's wrong with the cheap Wal-Mart bikes? I'm looking to get a bike, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on it. I don't really need it to be good for roads, since I will mostly be riding it around my property. It also doesn't need to be good for doing tricks or anything either, just good grip and able to go up and down fairly steep grass/dirt hills easily. Any suggestions?

Although it's not what you want to hear, working in a bikeshop I can tell you this. Cheap products in the cycling industry are nothing more than a false economy. If you spend double that, you will get a bike that will cost you less in maintenance costs within 2 years than the actual value of the bike. For now, it might only cost 150$, in the long run it will cost quite a bit more than that.

I just bought a wonderfully re-furbished and re-tuned 1987 Schwinn LeTour Road Bike for only $150. It rides like an absolute dream.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Thanks Kranked, that site really helped! i cant figure out where to find a dealer with the bike though, but i fell in love with this one

http://wethepeople.de/V3/product/375

WOO HOO!

I GOT A NEW BIKE! :twss: \'

[hide=]myride002.jpg[/hide]

Ignore the mess of my garage, and devour at the beauty of the bike ;)

And your butt doesn't hit the tire? :-k
hopesolopatriot.jpg

WOO HOO!

I GOT A NEW BIKE! :twss: \'

[hide=]myride002.jpg[/hide]

Ignore the mess of my garage, and devour at the beauty of the bike ;)

And your butt doesn't hit the tire? :-k

Nope, I don't sit down anyway :thumbup: Apart from cruising down hills.

I want to put the seat even lower, but the people at the bike shop have done it lock tight. Ah well, it is fine now ;)

Sara Mange, get rid of those 20" wheels, and get 26" wheels 8-)

ojdv.jpg

These guys are fixie animals!

[yt]aNCPEzdZs5s[/yt]

I don't even want to imagine riding that fast brakeless.

These guys represent all the reasons why drivers hate cyclists. It's just good fortune that they weren't involved in an accident. They were cutting up drivers, skidding in between cars and what not. It's not safe what they were doing and I know that someone's gonna say that they'll only hurt, maim or kill themselves but what if they did so by moving into the path of a car? The driver will feel pretty damned guilty even though they probably didn't have a chance. Safe cyclists should be aware of their vulnerability on the roads and cycle at speeds appropriate to the road conditions. Fixed wheeled bikes are fine for track and open road cycling, but on city/town roads, you need to be able to stop quickly. Cyclists riding like this should be stopped by the police and be punished. There was a pedestrian killed by a cyclist doing about 20mph in Britain. This is a dangerous and selfish way to ride.

Fit? Yes.

Sensible and safe riding? Absolutely not.

I've seen drivers being more reckless than those cyclists. That same argument can be applied.

ojdv.jpg

I've seen drivers being more reckless than those cyclists. That same argument can be applied.

But you see drivers being punished, fined, losing their license, prison sentences. Apart from the guy who killed a pedestrian on his bike: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/348193/cyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-escapes-jail-sentence.html I've never heard of a cyclist being punished for unsafe cycling. Plus (I'm not saying this entitles drivers to drive recklessly) there is no mandatory test of road safety for cyclists, while there is a test for drivers.

I'd have thought that cyclists would realise how vulnerable they are and cycle accordingly. Also, it appears the riders in that video had no regard for their safety since there wasn't a helmet in sight.

From a selfish personal safety stand point, drivers can be more reckless 'cos they're protected with air bags, seat belts and a crumple zone. Bikers have none of those things. I'm not condoning reckless driving but I'm just making a point that drivers can and do drive recklessly with less risk of injury to themselves. Knowing that, bikers should take even more care.

But you see drivers being punished, fined, losing their license, prison sentences. Apart from the guy who killed a pedestrian on his bike: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/348193/cyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-escapes-jail-sentence.html I've never heard of a cyclist being punished for unsafe cycling. Plus (I'm not saying this entitles drivers to drive recklessly) there is no mandatory test of road safety for cyclists, while there is a test for drivers.

I'd have thought that cyclists would realise how vulnerable they are and cycle accordingly. Also, it appears the riders in that video had no regard for their safety since there wasn't a helmet in sight.

From a selfish personal safety stand point, drivers can be more reckless 'cos they're protected with air bags, seat belts and a crumple zone. Bikers have none of those things. I'm not condoning reckless driving but I'm just making a point that drivers can and do drive recklessly with less risk of injury to themselves. Knowing that, bikers should take even more care.

Except for "...had no regard for their safety since there wasn't a helmet in sight." I agree with what you have to say. But isn't the offending cyclist often an immature teenager? (I am a teenager myself, but I still obey most laws.)

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Except for "...had no regard for their safety since there wasn't a helmet in sight." I agree with what you have to say. But isn't the offending cyclist often an immature teenager? (I am a teenager myself, but I still obey most laws.)

There's no law against helmets on pedal bikes though it is advised that you wear one. But helmets have been proven to reduce head injuries.

Those guys were riding one gear road bikes, they had brakes.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm aware of what a fixed wheel bike is. See my first post relating to this matter. But they couldn't have stopped in time for junctions at the speeds they were traveling at. Have a look at 1:55 of the video and tell me that they could have stopped in time had those cars been in the way. They got away with that by the skin of their teeth. I'd say that it should be a requirement for bikes ridden on the road (all bikes) to be fitted with brakes. Because there is no way in hell that that guy at 1:55 could have avoided a collision had the cars been slightly ahead of where they were when he arrived. Whenever I use the road, bike or car, I ride/drive within my limits. Not at the very edge of the limits as I like to think "what if...?" If you're riding/driving at you and your vehicles limits and something unexpected happens, what more have you got to give?

All motor vehicles on the road today have to undergo some form of testing to see whether they are road worthy. It should be the same for bikes in an ideal world.

I'm aware of what a fixed wheel bike is. See my first post relating to this matter. But they couldn't have stopped in time for junctions at the speeds they were traveling at. Have a look at 1:55 of the video and tell me that they could have stopped in time had those cars been in the way. They got away with that by the skin of their teeth. I'd say that it should be a requirement for bikes ridden on the road (all bikes) to be fitted with brakes. Because there is no way in hell that that guy at 1:55 could have avoided a collision had the cars been slightly ahead of where they were when he arrived. Whenever I use the road, bike or car, I ride/drive within my limits. Not at the very edge of the limits as I like to think "what if...?" If you're riding/driving at you and your vehicles limits and something unexpected happens, what more have you got to give?

All motor vehicles on the road today have to undergo some form of testing to see whether they are road worthy. It should be the same for bikes in an ideal world.

I'm pretty sure they could have stopped before they hit the cars, even without brakes it's not impossible. Have you ever ridden a track bike before? Many track bikes have no brakes and they cause the rider to be more alert of his surroundings, and the persons reaction to most things increases while they are riding. Even though they look like they're riding like maniacs, (which they were) they still can see if cars are coming in the intersection way before they actually get to it.

Also, bikes have guidelines for what is and isn't acceptable before they are sold. The bikes are tested before they are sold, and after they are sold an annual standard tune up should get the bike running like new. Many of the bikes that seem unsafe are usually modified by the owner, not by the manufacturer.

111-1.jpg

Where's the fun in life if every activity is about being padded up and taking care? Some people like being careless, some people like a bit of danger, these cyclists are extremely experienced and a handful of them are professional cyclists. They're not mounting the paths within the video, if a car was to hit them, it's the cyclists fault for reckless use, if a pedestrian was to be hit, well then it's the pedestrians fault for not paying due attention to the traffic use.

All bike products sold to the general public undergo strict and strenuous quality and safety testing, products which fail aren't sold on to the general public legally.

These guys aren't harming you and haven't come close to harming anyone else as of yet, so what's the big deal. This topic was created to discuss cycling as a hobby, questions, advice etc, all you've done now is turn this into a rant and all though still related to cycling, this current topic were speaking of (cycling safety) wasn't intended for this actual topic.