Bikes

Craiglowery

Has anyone ever heard of (Hardcourt) Bike Polo? It's no where near being a major sport but it's popular in major cities like NYC.

I've played it a couple of times, it's not very popular where I live but when I've visited Los Angeles it's not hard to find a group to play with. It's a pretty fun game. :mrgreen:

111-1.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play Bike Polo every week with a group of friends. You can take some really bad spills if you get into it, but once you and the people you play with get comfortable with each the flow of the game gets perfect and people almost never crash (by accident).

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

So this is my fixed gear currently my only bike.

gallery_1771_132_55214.jpg

I am planning on converting it to a single speed like a european city bike. The only think I have left to plan is what type of handlebars I want. I don't want drop bars anymore so I'm looking at french styles of handlebars and I found this website that has serveral different options [WEBSITE LINK]. Right now I'm kinda torn between the Porteur and Left Bank handlebars. Or I might just keep it pretty modern with just a flat bar but I'd rather try to keep true to a European style. What handlebars from that site or anywhere else would you pick to achieve the style. If your not familiar with European bicycles you can check this site http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/.

Some other modifcations I'm doing:

changing to a threadless stem with a quill stem adapter

I'm going to buy this seat (the brown one)

tFtfA.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So this is my fixed gear currently my only bike.

gallery_1771_132_55214.jpg

I am planning on converting it to a single speed like a european city bike. The only think I have left to plan is what type of handlebars I want. I don't want drop bars anymore so I'm looking at french styles of handlebars and I found this website that has serveral different options [WEBSITE LINK]. Right now I'm kinda torn between the Porteur and Left Bank handlebars. Or I might just keep it pretty modern with just a flat bar but I'd rather try to keep true to a European style. What handlebars from that site or anywhere else would you pick to achieve the style. If your not familiar with European bicycles you can check this site http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/.

Some other modifcations I'm doing:

changing to a threadless stem with a quill stem adapter

I'm going to buy this seat (the brown one)

That is an awesome bike, I just love the look of aluminum Cannondales. A beauty like that deserves a nice pair of drops, perhaps some Deda pistas? But if I had to pick between the two that you pointed out I would choose the Porteur bars.

111-1.jpg

Today is the greatest day ever, I just inherited this beauty from my uncle, he can't ride anymore so he gave it to me. :smile: (Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic, I'll take some better ones soon and post them)

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

It's a custom Colnago, I'm not sure of the model but it was built for a Swiss Tour De France rider back in 2002. It's got full Campagnolo Super Record on it, and it's pretty much the best looking bike I've ever seen. I really wanna ride this thing but I'm afraid of ruining it.

111-1.jpg

I've got a Mongoose Iboc that I bought at Target I think 2 years ago, and it works great. I've been riding it to school whenever possible since fall of last year.

Next year I am going to college. I have two questions:

1) What am I to do with the bike when I leave? I've got no experience selling anything to strangers and I don't know who I could give it to, as my relatives don't live in my state.

2) I enjoy biking, and I hope I get the chance to when I reach college, but I've noticed from various campus visits that everyone uses very, very cheap bikes so if they're stolen, it wouldn't be a big deal. Riding on a squeaky bike would get on my nerves so much, so... yeah. I wish I could bring my bike to school but if it gets stolen, then I'm bikeless.

Thanks for the input. :-)

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I've got a Mongoose Iboc that I bought at Target I think 2 years ago, and it works great. I've been riding it to school whenever possible since fall of last year.

1) What am I to do with the bike when I leave? I've got no experience selling anything to strangers and I don't know who I could give it to, as my relatives don't live in my state.

2) I enjoy biking, and I hope I get the chance to when I reach college, but I've noticed from various campus visits that everyone uses very, very cheap bikes so if they're stolen, it wouldn't be a big deal. Riding on a squeaky bike would get on my nerves so much, so... yeah. I wish I could bring my bike to school but if it gets stolen, then I'm bikeless.

When you leave for college, you take it to college. Or if your asking what to do with the bike during a break you just simply store it in your dorm room or w/e.

Question two is really a question.. but most people tend to ride very keep bikes to class because they are simply just using them for transportation to and from class. I would also advise in a good lock too so you don't have to worry about your bike being stolen.

tFtfA.jpg

You could bring the bike with you to college as transportation, it's a lot easier to bring than your own car. If you really wanna keep the bike you should just store it at home in the garage or something.

If you want to bring your bike to school with you just invest in a good u-lock and a cable lock just for extra security. You could also strip the bike of it's paint, get it down to raw metal, it will seem less attractive to thieves and it wont attract as much attention as a nicer bike would.

111-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Going here tomorrow night. It's my third time, and by far the best skatepark I've ever ridden. I got a new bike a week and a half ago, so I'm anxious to get all my tricks down again on it. It's gonna be awesome.

I'm gonna be topped up on monster all night, so I can ride as much as possible.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

• 3 weeks later...

22636_1291796707061_1594580855_30705931_2911268_n.jpg

22636_1291796787063_1594580855_30705932_500818_n.jpg

My bike.

• 1 month later...

You could bring the bike with you to college as transportation, it's a lot easier to bring than your own car. If you really wanna keep the bike you should just store it at home in the garage or something.

If you want to bring your bike to school with you just invest in a good u-lock and a cable lock just for extra security. You could also strip the bike of it's paint, get it down to raw metal, it will seem less attractive to thieves and it wont attract as much attention as a nicer bike would.

Either don't buy a good bike, or make sure that you've removed/secured any parts that could be stolen, especially quick-release wheels.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Either don't buy a good bike, or make sure that you've removed/secured any parts that could be stolen, especially quick-release wheels.

I second that whole-heartedly. It is not fun to come back to your bike to find a wheel missing. Secure your seatpost too. A lot of MTB seatposts use a QR clamp.

I second that whole-heartedly. It is not fun to come back to your bike to find a wheel missing. Secure your seatpost too. A lot of MTB seatposts use a QR clamp.

Funny story: one time I was taking the seat off of my bike, and a cop actually stopped me, thinking that I was stealing parts, until I managed to convince him that it was indeed my bike. :shame:

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• 8 months later...

We need more bike talk!

I've been riding almost everyday, and now I lead a weekly fixed gear ride around my city. Check us out at 661fixed.

My favorite riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DVI5B1TAHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4lcutmz-Ys&feature=related

I sold my fixed gear to make way for a new one, I'm currently looking for a track frame but for now I ride these around:

[hide] Peugeot fixed gear

GT Ricochet[/hide]

111-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

raleigh_matterhorn_18-speed.jpg

Pretty much what my bike looks like. Add a bit of rust here and there and it would be perfect ;).

I've always cycled a lot. It's my favourite way of commuting, but I don't really invest in the bikes I ride as all I really need the bike to do is to get me from point A to point B.

ponderineq1.gif

• 2 months later...

Could someone please explain the appeal of a fixed gear bike to me? I just don't understand how removing the ability to free-wheel would be a good thing.

I ride a specialized cross trail, which combines qualities from a mountain bike and a road bike, I would've gotten a proper road bike but the roads around where I live are in pretty poor condition so I don't think I'd really feel safe on them

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

• 2 months later...

got a trek gary fisher advance and making a storck scenero with custom parts for a school project to start racing on

SacredFlam3s.png

DK's Drops: 7 Berserker Rings, 2 Warrior Ring, 1 Archers Ring, 7 Dragon Hatchet, 1 Seercull, 3 Elite Clue - All Solo

GWD Drops (CS): 1 Bandos Chestplate, 2 Armadyl Hilt, 1 Armadyl Chestplate

Slayer:1 D skirt, 2 Whip, 12 G Mauls, 2 Dragon Boots