Nadril

Official Aion thread (Visions update)

I like this a lot. I was only at a wee level near the end of BC so never did much pvp and never got past a scout in WoW. I always liked the idea of ranks though.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Yeah ranks are really cool. Especially when they are more than just a grind.

So done with the closed beta, another pretty successful one. Spent the later part of today doing some duels (Sort of sucked because a lot of people were around 25+ or even 30, and I was 19 on the sin) and just messing around.

Also dyed my guys armor blue, which looks pretty cool. :thumbup:

[hide=pic]zo2nb.png[/hide]

Won't the higher ranks only be accessible by nolifers?

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Now isn't that wild.

TANSTAAFL

So I've been following this thread and it looks awesome.

As a person who has played WoW for a long time, and never strayed from the mage class, can anyone tell me what the differences are, the similarities are and such forth. I'm very tempted as this looks outstanding.

Also, can you give me some of the basics of the game?

Thanks

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

So I've been following this thread and it looks awesome.

As a person who has played WoW for a long time, and never strayed from the mage class, can anyone tell me what the differences are, the similarities are and such forth. I'm very tempted as this looks outstanding.

Also, can you give me some of the basics of the game?

Thanks

I'll try and stick to some of the basics. There are certainly plenty of influences from WoW, but there is a lot that feels different.

Similarities:

• - Questing is done the same way as WoW. You do have a bit of dialogue (which is well written) but it's the same idea.

- You have plenty of hotkeyed abilities such as in WoW. You'll probably feel right at home with this.

- The sorcerer class feels a lot like a mage in WoW. You have a fireball type spell. You have a living bomb type spell as well. You also have your frostbolt kind of spell, and your aoe frost nova style root. You are quite squishy even though you do have a small magic shield type of ability which absorbs some damage.

- Movement is traditional WSAD style, and the UI is also instantly familiar for anyone who has played WoW or another MMO.

Differences:

•  
    - Flight. WoW does have flight, yes, but you have aerial combat which plays a large role in PvP. For zones that don't enable flight you have gliding, which allows you to cover short distances pretty fast, and is a lot of fun in all honesty.

- Combat feels a bit longer than WoW. Fights in PvE will probably go on for longer than an average fight in WoW.

- It feels a bit more difficult at times than WoW does for leveling. Pulling multiple mobs without any sort of heal is a death sentence unless you have some potions or a good trick up your sleeve (CC effects or something).

- Consumables play more of a role in the games PvP. It's not like in WoW where if a guy uses a healing potion in PvP it would often be considered "cheap". Everyone uses them and they are a part of PvP strategy, due to all the different types of potions sharing a CD you often have to debate what is more important. (Should I use this potion to get out of the root or should I wait and use a healing potion? type of thing).

- Zone progress is a bit more linear than WoW. In reality I feel it follows a lot closer to the style of WoW's newer zones, places such as TBC/WoTLK zones, rather than their older ones. Instead of hopping around zone to zone doing a few quests you'll most likely stick in one and progress through quests in a logical manner. Some may love this, some might hate this.

- Customability is different. In WoW you have talent trees, in Aion you have Stigmas. In WoW you have gems where as in Aion you have both manastones and "godstones". The stigma system idea is that you have 5 basic and 3 advanced slots to fit in stigma stones. Characters have a lot of different stigma options available to them. These stigma stones grant your character an ability, so in a way you can think of it like cutting out a lot of the fat in a traditional WoW talent tree. There are various builds players have used for stigmas, based on what your goal is. It's pretty varied enough to be interesting. Manastones are the same idea as gems in WoW, except they hold more importance in Aion because all gear has sockets for them. This allows you to customize your stats pretty well through the use of manastones, and there are several different builds for different situations. As an assassin I want to stack "crit" stones for DPS, however I might also want HP stones in a different build to survive burst, or magical resist stones to have a chance to resist C/C.

- There is more "RNG" in Aion than WoW. Again some people may hate this, but the idea is that a lot of effects aren't guaranteed on happening. The biggest example of this are stuns, which either have a % of a chance to work or have a varied duration. What this does is make it so that fights don't end up in a predictable nature, and players need to be able to adapt to a situation. A good player will have a backup plan when his stun doesn't work, or when he is caught on the end of a long duration CC effect. The bad player will not be ready. In my experience this already has made PvP more interesting as an assassin, because I cannot guarantee that I will be able to CC my opponent throughout the fight.

Those are some of the main similarities and differences I've encountered. Keep in mind I'm trying to mostly clarify mechanics here, obviously Aion is more PvP oriented than WoW is and such.

Yes and No. I've got no doubt that some of the top ranked players will play a lot. However they aren't going to get up there just by playing a lot, but get up there by playing well. If they are prone to dying a lot then playing more isn't going to help them, and it probably will hurt because they'll just end up losing more AP. It does benefit the kind of player who plays a lot though, but this is to be expected. Just be glad that if you see a high ranked player, or a player with the high end Abyss gear on, that he will have gotten it through skill -- not time.

some additional comments to add to the poster above...

in Aion quests are divided into two different catergories, campaign and side. Campaign quests (for the most part) will give you substantially more xp, but there are less of them.

there are a LOT of cutscenes in aion

no low leveled instances in aion, and very few high leveled ones

titles actually have a purpose, they give you stats!

priests can wear chain in this game, making them less squishy, and they actually have offensive spells...making them a force in pvp

i may have repeated some of the things you said, just got done with beta test 5 and figured id head over to tip.it and see if someone had made a thread.

edit:not sure what your plans are, but are you going to make the "official" tipit thread for aion?

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

some additional comments to add to the poster above...

in Aion quests are divided into two different catergories, campaign and side. Campaign quests (for the most part) will give you substantially more xp, but there are less of them.

there are a LOT of cutscenes in aion

no low leveled instances in aion, and very few high leveled ones

titles actually have a purpose, they give you stats!

priests can wear chain in this game, making them less squishy, and they actually have offensive spells...making them a force in pvp

i may have repeated some of the things you said, just got done with beta test 5 and figured id head over to tip.it and see if someone had made a thread.

edit:not sure what your plans are, but are you going to make the "official" tipit thread for aion?

Very cool.

And yeah this will probably be "official", however much Nads will want us to go to onlineaion.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Yeah this is sort of the "official" thread atm. It would be awesome if we could use onlineaion.com though (the fansite I'm a part of), like ray said. :)

Also the only thing you mentioned that was wrong sup3r is that there actually are a lot of instances in the game. Patch 1.5 added 12 of them, for example.

Yeah this is sort of the "official" thread atm. It would be awesome if we could use onlineaion.com though (the fansite I'm a part of), like ray said. :)

Also the only thing you mentioned that was wrong sup3r is that there actually are a lot of instances in the game. Patch 1.5 added 12 of them, for example.

Should request a new topic and get this one locked when Aion is released in NA, UK, AUS, and EU.

And make a huuuuuuuge first post with all the info, and a banner linking to www.onlineaion.com

www.onlineaion.com

:lol:

I'll at the very least just update this thread with a bunch of stuff once the game is released.

you are right, they did add 6 man instances.

reading up on it though, it looks as though every "raid" boss is outdoors. there are no instanced raids to date. in other words, it looks as though all of the raid bosses will be pvpve...as in factions competing against both each other and npcs to take over fortresses

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

Ya this thread is fine. No need for a brand new one.

But it's full of Noob :lol:

Err..

On a sophistication level, what do you guys think will be easiest -> hardest to learn well?

hmm, tough question. I would say on a scale from easiest to hardest to play their role effectively:

Gladiator > Sorcerer > Templar > Ranger > Cleric > Assassin > Chanter > Spiritmaster

I would prefer it to be in clumps a bit though, like:

Gladiator, Sorcerer, Templar > Ranger > Cleric, Assassin, Chanter > Spiritmaster

Gladiator/Sorc/Templar all don't seem to be crazy difficult in PvP. Glad and temp have heavy armor which helps a lot, and the sorc has some great burst damage at a range. Likewise the ranger just needs to know to kite really well.

The Cleric and chanter both have a difficult role healing, especially with a lot of damage going around. A good chanter is going to have to know how to switch roles quickly and efficiently between DPS, Heals and short duration buffs. The assassin really needs to know his class an the enemy class for any case where he doesn't get the jump on someone.

The spiritmaster is all about C/C, so you need to know how to use it to your advantage.

Perfect.. Ranger around middle. Great starting for me. Not too easy, not too hard.

Ranger, Templar and Assasin are my 3 ideas really. I'd like Assassin, but it seems a little complex.

Closed Beta 6 was excellent, from what I played of it. I decided to go Elyos mage for my first character and got to around 14. The quests were fun, combat was fun, the game is beautiful; it looks like it'll be a great game. Unfortunately I was only able to play on Friday because I've been away Saturday and Sunday, I wish I could've done alot more. Can't wait for open beta though.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

I missed pretty much all of CB6 except for this Monday morning, sadly. The internet in my new apartment wasn't on until today. Still I got the chance to get some duels in with my 19 assassin versus my roomates 19 sorc. We were going pretty even for a while and then he got a pretty good idea that ended up working well. I might have been able to figure out how to deal with it but we ended up just playing some TF2.

There was plenty of decisions to make though even in a fight at 19, I honestly was very impressed. Coming from other recent games where in low level PvP it revolves around me spamming a couple of buttons was, well, refreshing. I mean even at level 19 we had fake casts going on (My roomate actually fake casted a few of his ice spells, which is a snare, against my focused evasion [makes me dodge/resist the next attack] making me waste it) and there was just a lot involved.

I am SO playing sorcerer when this hits open beta. I was gonna spend some money on a WoW realm transfer, but sod that, this game just looks way way better.

Tk5SF.png

How is Aion in beta? It's been out properly in Korea for a year or something now.. I think they're teasing us.

I saw an ad in a Game store near my school.. I was skipping a lesson..

Anyway, there's alot of stuff you get from preorder... XP talisman, stat boosting hat, 48 hours prior to complete server open...

News of this game continues to surprise me.

Damn my laptop. I need more money to buy a new computer, so I can buy this.

2Xeo5.png

How is Aion in beta? It's been out properly in Korea for a year or something now.. I think they're teasing us.

I saw an ad in a Game store near my school.. I was skipping a lesson..

Anyway, there's alot of stuff you get from preorder... XP talisman, stat boosting hat, 48 hours prior to complete server open...

The "beta" status in the west is for a couple of reasons.

•  
    -Testing the localized text and speech, making sure no errors in that.

- Stress testing servers. This is the biggest reason, they need to make sure their servers are up to speed for when the game launches here.

I finally got around to preordering the game.

This had better not end up like AoC Nadril! :x

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

So I've been looking at this more and I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS RIGHT NOW AND CANCEL MY WOW SUBSCRIPTION!

Questions:

1. Can I download the client now and if so, where from?

2. Are there any open BETAs I can get into to give me a taste of it?

3. What servers and factions are the EU guys here planning to playing on? It'd be nice if TIF-EU could stay together so it doesn't end up like WoW with us all on different servers and such.

4. I heard that subscription is different, like you buy 100 hours of play time for $15 or something for 3 months and if you only play 66 hours you pay $10? Can anyone shed light on this?

5. Is it worth it to pre-order now?

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

4. I heard that subscription is different, like you buy 100 hours of play time for $15 or something for 3 months and if you only play 66 hours you pay $10? Can anyone shed light on this?

That is probably the Asian servers. I know WoW did something similar where they charged for hourly time cards and not per month time cards. America and Europe probably will work on 15ish dollars a month.

5. Is it worth it to pre-order now?

Probably is. Not for the reason that it will be sold out, but for the reason that you get good stuff with the Collectors edition.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!