District-9 Symbolism?

Dizzle229

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how what was mentioned before could even be considered a hole. They explained how it happened completely :?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Yeah, I don't think it was a plot hole at all, it was just stupid. However there is a huge plot hole dealing with that same item:

[hide=]It took 20 years to gather that much, and every little drop counted because they only got one drop out of the last batch before the MNU people came. However, the main character opened it up and got some on him. Then for some reason even though he wasted a lot of it (probably a few months worth), it was still enough to power the ship.[/hide]

I liked the movie for the most part, but there were a few annoying things which detracted from it a decent amount:

[hide=]1. The aforementioned plot hole

2. Unnecessary camera shaking, I have nothing against the camera shaking style (loved Cloverfield) but there is a point to use it and a point to not use it. They used it when they shouldn't have.

3. Generic epic music at the end (the generic almost "yell" that goes along with music but there is no words, used all the time nowadays).

4. Mech fight lasted way too long. He had around 3 or 4 "last gasps" and it just didn't make any sense. Plus it worked a lot better when he wasn't in it, and it seemed lame that it wouldn't automatically do counter measures like it did before he got in it.[/hide]

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I agree with you on #4, but could it have been because he didn't really know how to use it that well? When it was operated before, it was with an alien in it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I agree with you on #4, but could it have been because he didn't really know how to use it that well? When it was operated before, it was with an alien in it.

The mech suit saved his life before he got in it. You can say it went from automatic to manual control when are hero guy got inside.

tFtfA.jpg

I thought the fact that he kept having the "last gasps" in the mech suit only proved that his father-in-law had greatly underestimated him when he said "you know Wikus... he was always weak" (or something of the same idea).

Whether it was selfishness in trying to get CJ to the ship to save his arm, or in anger towards MNU, he didn't just give up or run away like everyone thought he would.

... most people only get one last gasp - the fact that he got multiple "last" chances just shows his dedication and inner strength.

160vy.png

Awesome movie. It's one of those movies that shouldn't be ruined by a sequel. :thumbsup:

This is what the Halo Movie could have been if all those studios involved didn't bail out.

I doubt Halo would've been nearly as awesome, at least story-wise.

Because the budget would've been like 4x what D-9 had, the studio's involvement would be much greater, meaning less freedom for Blomkamp to do what he does.

160vy.png

I thought the mech suit scene was perfect.

When i watched it the whole thing about 20 years to get enough liquid to fly home struck me to be a plot hole, especially when it looked like the majority of it went over is face.

I did notice the music at the end, was way too heavy handed. Was basically the film-makers saying "You should feel this now", even though it was pretty obvious what the tone of the scene was meant to be.

keen.png

I really recommend this movie to everyone. I've seen a lot of action movies this summer, and hands down, this is the movie of the summer. Maybe even the year. I loved District 9 on so many levels.

And no, you don't need to watch district 1-8 beforehand to follow along. :P

I agree completely, although I hate how they say it's the "movie of the year" and the year isn't even done yet >_>

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I liked it, even though the camera shaking "documentary-style" scenes got old. When they stopped using it that much towards the middle of the movie, it became pretty good. When he got in the mech-suit, I was like "Damn, that would be badass to have one of those!"

[hide=Spoiler]I wonder what happened to Christopher (the alien that befriended Wilkus). Do you think that he'll return, as promised, and save Wilkus/declare war on Earth?[/hide]

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I thought the fact that he kept having the "last gasps" in the mech suit only proved that his father-in-law had greatly underestimated him when he said "you know Wikus... he was always weak" (or something of the same idea).

Whether it was selfishness in trying to get CJ to the ship to save his arm, or in anger towards MNU, he didn't just give up or run away like everyone thought he would.

... most people only get one last gasp - the fact that he got multiple "last" chances just shows his dedication and inner strength.

Yeah, that would make a little sense if it was just him. But he was in the mech suit, and it got the multiple last gasps. That's not how machines work, when it breaks it won't all the sudden find extra strength and work anyways. It is broken.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Yeah, that would make a little sense if it was just him. But he was in the mech suit, and it got the multiple last gasps. That's not how machines work, when it breaks it won't all the sudden find extra strength and work anyways. It is broken.

tell that to my car

160vy.png

Two holes that I noticed in the plot:

How the hell could Wilkus and the Nigerian gangsters understand the aliens? How could the aliens understand them?

When Wilkus and CJ infiltrated MNU and CJ noticed the medical experiments, how come Wilkus said "I honestly didn't know they were doing this!" because he was taken to the same room and had experiments done on him? He even was like "What the hell is in this room! What are you doing to these prawns?!"

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Two holes that I noticed in the plot:

How the hell could Wilkus and the Nigerian gangsters understand the aliens? How could the aliens understand them?

When Wilkus and CJ infiltrated MNU and CJ noticed the medical experiments, how come Wilkus said "I honestly didn't know they were doing this!" because he was taken to the same room and had experiments done on him? He even was like "What the hell is in this room! What are you doing to these prawns?!"

1. They lived together for 20 years, so it's assumed they learned to communicate. Some African tribes speak with clicks, so it's imaginable humans learned how to understand the aliens.

2. Wilkus did know. By that point in the movie you didn't get that it's just his personality to lie to diffuse a situation?

I didn't think it was him lying. More that he didn't know what they were doing when he was working there.

But he was in that same room earlier. He even knew somewhat where to start looking around when they got there.

I didn't think it was him lying. More that he didn't know what they were doing when he was working there.

But he was in that same room earlier. He even knew somewhat where to start looking around when they got there.

His primary goal was on curing himself and returning back to his normal life. So in interest of his goal it would have been in his best interest not to tell the prawns about the experiments he just discovered as they might have been uncooperative in helping Wilkus.

tFtfA.jpg

tell that to my car

You sure you want your car to know that?

tell that to my car

You sure you want your car to know that?

the MAP sensor in my car failed yesterday and now I can't accelerate past 3500 RPM - strange coincidence, maybe...

but it's still working! tally up another last gasp :thumbup:

160vy.png