If slavery was legal...

Maleficus1055

No thank you. I rather have a maid or butler.

Most (unwealthy average) people in capitalist western societies are enslaved by money and debts, living in delusional 'freedom'. You don't have to wear a steel ball chained to your legs, but you're still doing things you hate just to pay off necessities. The steel ball is mental unlike in feudal Europe or old America when it was physical.

Living conditions have improved and you can have your own/rented residence & family now, but you'll still be working a job you despise for 'big money' which is only interested in accumulating increased profits for their quarterly reports to appease even bigger money and investors.

Of course that doesn't apply to some of the smart people here who probably have a shot at landing a job they enjoy working (or already have one), but even in the US, the vast majority of the population works tedious labour jobs that could be likened to slavery, jobs that should be only fit for a machine.

Slavery exists and will always exist; People with money outsourcing dirty and tedious jobs to poorer people who have no option except compliance (or starvation). Being able to afford a TV or a vacation isn't really relevant. By working minimum wage or close to it in the US you are practically a slave like those in ancient Rome; living from hand to mouth every paycheck without the possibility of advancement.

Instead of an actual master telling you what to do, your master is now simply currency; Money. It's inanimate and cold, yet it makes the same clear, cruel point to poor people without saying a word: If you don't continue working your tedious job, your existence will crumble.

Very interesting way to look at it, but what happens when you perform a job of which you love to do? Or about people who don't care how much they earn? Still enslaved?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most (unwealthy average) people in capitalist western societies are enslaved by money and debts, living in delusional 'freedom'. You don't have to wear a steel ball chained to your legs, but you're still doing things you hate just to pay off necessities. The steel ball is mental unlike in feudal Europe or old America when it was physical.

i read an old, old article once which said the same thing. that once you gain a mortgage you are unable to rebel against the system because you are forever in the banks (something like 40 years) debt and forced to accept the status quo. The American (capitalist) dream still exists but its bloody hard to achieve and available to a small percentage

NICKELEY102.png

I don't really like the idea of slaves, although, if it was made legal I would buy one. But, I would give them anything they need, clothes, food, a warm and comfortable place to sleep, ect ect. Obviously they would have to earn their keep, but they'd have the same rights as me.

...Yeah, it'd have to be a female slave, one my own age, and good looking...

:?

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

I don't really like the idea of slaves, although, if it was made legal I would buy one. But, I would give them anything they need, clothes, food, a warm and comfortable place to sleep, ect ect. Obviously they would have to earn their keep, but they'd have the same rights as me.

Pretty much a hooker which charges you nothing?

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I wouldn't go THAT far. She'd be more of a maid who lives in her bosses house, well, more of a guest really, we'd share the cleaning. It's a better life then being a proper slave I'd say, at least nobody else could buy her and make her do... Well, yeah.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

I wouldn't go THAT far. She'd be more of a maid who lives in her bosses house, well, more of a guest really, we'd share the cleaning. It's a better life then being a proper slave I'd say, at least nobody else could buy her and make her do... Well, yeah.

internet-white-knight.jpg

Kind of impossible to answer considering in modern society we've grown up being taught that slavery is evil so you can't see it any other way. It depends on if it was ever made illegal or not. If it wasn't made illegal then the families of most people saying they wouldn't own one probably would. Also I think the laws influence people's morals as well so both would be different if it wasn't made illegal. So growing up in this society I'd have to say no.

LOL.jpg

what happens when you perform a job of which you love to do? Or about people who don't care how much they earn? Still enslaved?

Then you've succeeded in both cases, as long as you're happy. There are some minorities such as the Rastafari in Jamaica who care about nothing else than a tight community spirit and living their own life. A lot of them understand how capitalism works and they don't want to be a part of the 'rat race'. They have freed themselves from both physical and mental slavery, only working when it's necessary.

Capitalism has good sides to it too, having worked with money and investments for nearly all my adult life I can also say it can give you partial freedom when you succeed, but for a large portion of the people involved in the system it's a disaster... Especially in the States, poor people can't even afford health insurance & have to work multiple jobs just to feed a family

what happens when you perform a job of which you love to do? Or about people who don't care how much they earn? Still enslaved?

Then you've succeeded in both cases, as long as you're happy. There are some minorities such as the Rastafari in Jamaica who care about nothing else than a tight community spirit and living their own life. A lot of them understand how capitalism works and they don't want to be a part of the 'rat race'. They have freed themselves from both physical and mental slavery, only working when it's necessary.

Capitalism has good sides to it too, having worked with money and investments for nearly all my adult life I can also say it can give you partial freedom when you succeed, but for a large portion of the people involved in the system it's a disaster... Especially in the States, poor people can't even afford health insurance & have to work multiple jobs just to feed a family

No, they go on welfare.

No i would not need one, anyways if everyone had a slave, then we'd all be fat lazy people that wouldnt do any/get any exercies (i cant spell :? )

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

No i would not need one, anyways if everyone had a slave, then we'd all be fat lazy people that wouldnt do any/get any exercies (i cant spell :? )

I'm fit, all I really do is walk, and somehow I am slightly underweight. :?

Damn, we are so alike it scares me.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I would take a slave, but I wouldn't treat them like an object. They would be more like a permanent unpaid servant; I would allow them to bathe, dress nicely, and eat to remain healthy. If I developed a good relationship with that slave and they became my friend, I would probably set them free eventually.

No, they go on welfare.

well done on being a cretin

iteme3721.jpg

No, they go on welfare.

well done on being a cretin

People do that. In fact I used to have neighbours and rather than get a job (they were both qualified teachers) and support their children they just sit on their [wagon] all day. The dad spends all of his time playing some old computer game all day, smoking himself to death. Both of the kids are not going to be qualified for a job due to the lack of education they have received and will probably just go on welfare too.

Maybe one to do housework/butler stuff but wouldn't treat them bad or anything, they could stay in the guest room.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Damn, we are so alike it scares me.

I'm the same way. :?

ezegyc.png

i wouldnt take a slave, i simply dont believe it is right

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

People do that. In fact I used to have neighbours and rather than get a job (they were both qualified teachers) and support their children they just sit on their [wagon] all day. The dad spends all of his time playing some old computer game all day, smoking himself to death. Both of the kids are not going to be qualified for a job due to the lack of education they have received and will probably just go on welfare too.

yes, some people do, but that fella seemed to be saying that all poor people just rely on welfare when they quite clearly don't.

iteme3721.jpg

yes, some people do, but that fella seemed to be saying that all poor people just rely on welfare when they quite clearly don't.

More people rely on welfare than have two jobs like that other person said.

More people rely on welfare than have two jobs like that other person said.

[Citation needed]. That's a pretty strong statement you shouldn't be throwing around randomly.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I would. In a society where this is deemed okay I'm sure I would have different principles.

That's a scary thought, but you do raise a good point. A lot of people are saying no, but that's mostly because due to our current society slavery is frowned upon. People back then sure as hell didn't think that since society was much different.

As of right now, I feel that freedom is a very important aspect of life. I know I would hate to be slave, so I wouldn't want to put someone else through it. But if society were different, I don't know what my opinion would be.