10th July 2009 - The Jagex Anti-Hijack System and DevBlog

Mil

Heh, if the number of bank spaces was large enough I'd consider it.. I get nearly full as it is, and sometimes I have to clean my bank more often then I'd like.

But I don't like the idea of having to type in an additional password every time I want to log in...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

But this goes so far over that line that my initial reaction can't help but be negative and somewhat inflammatory.

This isn't "so far over the line". If you haven't noticed, credit card companies are taking the same approach, and it's already been tested and works flawlessly.

I once had my credit card stolen because a company I did business with had a security breach, and lost a few million credit card numbers. That company was Sears. If my card had this system in place, I wouldn't have had to even bother going through the process of locking my card and making sure that no transactions were being made on it.

I've had my account on Runescape for 6 years, and for my entire time on the internet I have NEVER had an account stolen. But it's like they say, it only takes one time.

"If your card had this system in place:" Wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to deal with it (ie, giving the cashier a code every time you used it)? Even if you did, that's dealing with real money and real danger.

I guess what's hitting me wrong is that they want you to carry around a fairly high-tech security device and to use it to log into a game. At some point you've got to wonder where it stops being just a game and starts to become such a large part of someone's life that they pay more than one fee for it and carry secure access to it around all day.

2496 Completionist

Just a note for all of you who think you have to enter the pin in every single time you log in, your wrong, you dont have to do it all, on those enterprise security USB keys, all you have to do is have the USB key in your computer in order for you to successfully log in using your username and password, it shouldn't be any different than before, aside from the fact that you have to have the "jagex key" plugged in in-order to use your account.

MMG was just trying to put it in laymans terms so that the 10 year olds that play this game and the very un-informed know how the thing works.

but if they end up doing it exactly to the letter of how MMG said it will work, then i'll be hugely dissapointed, because that's just stupid and a waste of time, when there already is security keys like the "jagex key" that all you need to do is have it plugged in in-order to login to your computer, instead of looking for the code and entering it in all the time.

It's rather disgusting to see Jagex come out with something like this, mainly for the fact that they want to charge people for it. We already pay to play their game, and giving the possibility to buy something to keep our account more safe seems over the top. They should be doing that in the first place. It's clear they are only doing it for the money, and it isn't truly for the customers.

What's even worse is that they're trying to make it more 'sellable' by adding more bank space with it. What does bank space and account security have to do with each other? It's just another ploy to get more money, with little concern for the customers. They're just trying to pretend they care.

dark, tell me, how many games do you know out there give you a free security key/usb key to secure your account?

ZERO, 0, nada, zilch, be thankful they're giving people out there this option.

They so copied this idea from Final Fantasy XI. :lol:

Recently they also started using the exact same system with a number generator that you could buy which also gave you an increase in storage space in your "Mog Satchel". Of course it could just be a coincidence. :?

That said, I have no problem with Jagex choosing to offer this optional service. Whether or not you choose to spend your money on it is your decision after all. Being somewhat of a pack-rat, I would likely buy one just for the bit of extra space. The extra bit of security would be nice too, but I've never had my account stolen in the first place.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

It's rather disgusting to see Jagex come out with something like this, mainly for the fact that they want to charge people for it. We already pay to play their game, and giving the possibility to buy something to keep our account more safe seems over the top. They should be doing that in the first place. It's clear they are only doing it for the money, and it isn't truly for the customers.

What's even worse is that they're trying to make it more 'sellable' by adding more bank space with it. What does bank space and account security have to do with each other? It's just another ploy to get more money, with little concern for the customers. They're just trying to pretend they care.

They are a company, their main goal is make money. What's wrong with adding incentives to sell something? We only pay around $6 a month, you want extra security along with all the other features as well for such a low price? They're just increasing their services for an added cost, if the customer is interested in it. It's not a requirement, and it wouldn't enchance one's gameplay really, unless you get hacked every other month or something.

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

With the Jagex security key, we would be so confident that your account is secure that we could consider adding expanded bank space to those accounts that are protected by the Jagex security key

WOW I don't understand this AT ALL....does anyone else think that this is worded really strangely? Or that the thought as a whole doesn't really make sense?

I don't understand....this quote implies that our current ammount of bankspace is not going to be increased because they are afraid that the account is insecure?

I really don't get it. How does account security have anything to do with bank space? Wow....it is so clear that they are just trying to sell bank space.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I would buy this, even if it did not come with bank space and was priced at the $20 they had in the pole :thumbsup: . Why? Because security is security. I have never been hacked, and may never be, but like someone else said in here, it only takes once. Don't want it? Don't buy it. But don't call people like me who would buy it stupid or incapable because they want extra security. About entering in the pin in while switching worlds, you have to wait 30 seconds anyways, as if taking a few seconds to enter in the pin would make much of a difference :roll: .

@ Jagex: Bravo for keeping the company up with current security measures. Even adding extra bank space as a bonus, a nice touch! Also, the DevBlog was really informative, and really neat \' . Its good to be informed of the interruptions that are planned as well.

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

I really don't get it. How does account security have anything to do with bank space? Wow....it is so clear that they are just trying to sell bank space.

If you don't get it, how can it be clear...hmm. Might want to work on that one.

To translate it for you - they have enough faith in the system that they would be willing to offer everyone that partook in it (Free, Member) some extra bank space. That's all it is. To be honest, most players don't use all of their bank space anyway, and those that are on Free usually manage their space with extreme fervor anyway, so at best, this is an incentive for those that go along with the program.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I am disgusted by the thought of the anti hijack system jagex has planned. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your computer is safe and that your account is secure. If you are un-able to do so its your fault if you get hacked.

Oh god, cry some more. Get with the times, this system is the next generation of account security, and even credit card companies are working on similar systems to protect against identity theft. The "if you lose your account, [bleep] you" ideal is why the only direction you'd run a company, would be into the ground.

As insane as it is, the idea of poetic justice for people who get their account stolen isn't good for business, which Jagex is, and should be, primarily focused on; keeping customers, paying or not. I'd like to see these people in real life.

"If your car gets stolen it's your fault for it being hot-wireable"

"If you get shot it's your fault for standing on front of the bullet. Why should the police have to protect your dumb [wagon]?"

It seems to me jagex is attempting to sell bankspace for 10 -20 dollars which is mind blowing. It seems soon they will be selling more upgrades in-game to get your money, I am very disapointed -.- .

Yea, because a couple extra spaces as their guarantee your account will never be hacked = Jadflax Reel Werld Treding. Did you see their post about back-end system upgrades? Clearly this is a sign that SAILING WILL BE THE NEXT SKILL. And BOUNTY HUNTER'S GETTING REMOVED. And some other half-baked lame, irrelevant conclusion I can come up with to complain some more!

I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with running a business.

Probably will buy it, if the shipping costs to my country will be reasonable, which I doubt. But good idea, nevertheless. :|

the_xxzlx2.png

the_xxzlx2.png

Think of it like the old car sellers. "I guarantee you'll love this car so much, I'll throw in an extra year on the warranty!" except in this case, more bankspace is the warranty.

And to the people who said "it should've been like this from the start", get real. This technology wasn't feasible back in 2001 when the game launched, let alone 2004 when RS2 launched. As for giving them for free; do you think Jagex is made of money?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

i've never had any doubts about the security of my RS account, but, depending on the amount of bank space given, I would definitely put some thought into getting the security key if its $10... $20 seems a bit much though.

i just wonder what would happen if someone loses their key - since its a randomly generated key number, would they have to purchase another device in order to login ever again? :wall:

160vy.png

Think of it like the old car sellers. "I guarantee you'll love this car so much, I'll throw in an extra year on the warranty!" except in this case, more bankspace is the warranty.

And to the people who said "it should've been like this from the start", get real. This technology wasn't feasible back in 2001 when the game launched, let alone 2004 when RS2 launched. As for giving them for free; do you think Jagex is made of money?

This is exactly what I can see coming, sadly. Just as bad as selling Rsgp.

Soon as I saw it earlier I gave an example in a channel on IRC. This to me is the start of a bad route.. "Buy this now and get 50 extra bank spaces!" "Get this pencil case for 5.00, get this ruler with it too, and for an extra 2.00 you'll receive an extra 80 bank spaces, yes, 80!"

:wall: :wall: :wall:

• Like 1

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I am disgusted by the thought of the anti hijack system jagex has planned. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your computer is safe and that your account is secure. If you are un-able to do so its your fault if you get hacked. It seems to me jagex is attempting to sell bankspace for 10 -20 dollars which is mind blowing. It seems soon they will be selling more upgrades in-game to get your money, I am very disapointed -.- .

So your disappointed they are trying to defend player's security? My dad works for a multi-billion dollar company and they provide him with a security key for their site, and they have superb security. Why would it upset you they're trying to defend us? I don't think they are selling bank spaces, I think their intentions are pure. It's not like the keys are a force buy, so its still YOUR responsibility to keep your account safe if you choose to not buy it.

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

I actually like this idea. If they come out...ill put alot of though into buying one.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

To translate it for you - they have enough faith in the system that they would be willing to offer everyone that partook in it (Free, Member) some extra bank space. That's all it is. To be honest, most players don't use all of their bank space anyway, and those that are on Free usually manage their space with extreme fervor anyway, so at best, this is an incentive for those that go along with the program.

Are you trying to troll or did you seriously not understand what he was saying? He *doesn't get* what Jagex's bs logic was, and it was *clear* that they are offering free bankspace for another reason (to entice more people to buy their dongle).

More bank space != ability to keep more wealth because of increased security.

(If you didn't know already, != means "is not equal to")

2496 Completionist

This is exactly what I can see coming, sadly. Just as bad as selling Rsgp.

Soon as I saw it earlier I gave an example in a channel on IRC. This to me is the start of a bad route.. "Buy this now and get 50 extra bank spaces!" "Get this pencil case for 5.00, get this ruler with it too, and for an extra 2.00 you'll receive an extra 80 bank spaces, yes, 80!"

:wall: :wall: :wall:

I can't see this snowballing out of control into what you predict. I think it'll just be a one-time thing because this is a large step in Runescape for security.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

You have got to he kidding me' date=' anyone with half a god damn brain knows how to keep their account safe.[/quote']You're referring to a small minority of the Internet. The rest are the reason why Drain-o has a warning saying "Do not drink".

Considering the IQ of the average Runescaper (and the hoards of children I see at the public libraries playing this game) I can see why security can be a problem for some of them. The only thing that bugs me is that they'd offer extra bank space for using it. I don't need the extra security, but that extra space sounds tempting.

Blue_Raivyn.png

You have got to he kidding me' date=' anyone with half a god damn brain knows how to keep their account safe.[/quote']You're referring to a small minority of the Internet. The rest are the reason why Drain-o has a warning saying "Do not drink".

Considering the IQ of the average Runescaper (and the hoards of children I see at the public libraries playing this game) I can see why security can be a problem for some of them. The only thing that bugs me is that they'd offer extra bank space for using it. I don't need the extra security, but that extra space sounds tempting.

Yes. Whether players want to admit it or not, there is a big issue with account security, and Jagex cannot take the stance of "Well too bad for them".

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Seems to me like the identification key is a bit of overkill. Someone I know has one and he works as a classified government defense contractor...

So what? Does that mean that if you don't work for the government, you don't need that bit of protection? It just adds a bit to your account security. Which, for a small price, is always welcome.

I make sure my account is safe, but still, you never now when you encounter a key logger or whatever... Perhaps when playing on someone else's pc. And when it happens, you could be screwed.

Safety first.

Are you trying to troll or did you seriously not understand what he was saying? He *doesn't get* what Jagex's bs logic was, and it was *clear* that they are offering free bankspace for another reason (to entice more people to buy their dongle).

More bank space != ability to keep more wealth because of increased security.

(If you didn't know already, != means "is not equal to")

No, it wasn't a troll. You'd have seen that had you read the rest of my reply.

I don't know what the fuss is about, even if they did offer increased bank space - it's an incentive. Nothing more. Do you not know what an incentive is? Because it doesn't seem like you do.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.