Runescape ports are blocked off, need help.

k00ldud95

TCP ports that Runescape uses to function are being blocked by a Firewall, Proxy, or router on my computer. Although I unblocked them where the Firewall is conerned, RS is still not running so something else must be blocking them.

Can someone give me some examples of thisgs in Vista that would block TCP ports ( other than the firewall) or other ways that TCP ports could be being blocked, and how to remove them?

To give a description of what is hapening, when i attempt to load runescape, it loads at a very slopw rate, takes as long as 40 minutes, and then when I am able to get to the log-in screen, i cannot log in.

when I press "log in" the message in the upper left corner says "connection lost" (regardless if i am connected or not)and then says "loading". After a few minutes, it says "connection lost" again, and then cycles back to loading, and this process repeats forever.

TCP ports that Runescape uses to function are being blocked by a Firewall, Proxy, or router on my computer. Although I unblocked them where the Firewall is conerned, RS is still not running so something else must be blocking them.

Can someone give me some examples of thisgs in Vista that would block TCP ports ( other than the firewall) or other ways that TCP ports could be being blocked, and how to remove them?

To give a description of what is hapening, when i attempt to load runescape, it loads at a very slopw rate, takes as long as 40 minutes, and then when I am able to get to the log-in screen, i cannot log in.

when I press "log in" the message in the upper left corner says "connection lost" (regardless if i am connected or not)and then says "loading". After a few minutes, it says "connection lost" again, and then cycles back to loading, and this process repeats forever.

This probably would be better off in the Tech section, cuz i have no iea wtf you're talking about :wall:

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Just to get a bit more info:

- Are you using a static IP address (to connect to your router)? Also, what's the router's model?

- Has this problem started occurring spontaneously?

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

- Are you using a static IP address (to connect to your router)? Also, what's the router's model?

Actually, I just moved to a completely different area. I am now using a broadband connection instead of a wireles connection.

I couldn't tell you what the model of my router is, but I would be happy to find out if you could tell me how to figure it out.

Probably still blocked on your router.

Go to Start -> run -> type 'cmd' -> type 'ipconfig'

Note the default gateway adress (mostly 192.168.1.1)

Go to your browser and type in the gateway adress in the website adress bar.

Here you should come to your router login system, find your password and login.

(If you have not idea at all try the default password)

Here's a list of default passwords: http://www.routerpasswords.com/

Once you're in, just find the firewall part and delete the port block ^^ (Just search for something that blocks Runescape ports) or open it up if all ports are blocked.

PS: DON'T DO THIS IS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

evilmagister.png

Are you sure it's not your internet connection speed? If it takes 40mins to load up each time, it's possible that you're lagging too much to log in. Maybe try clear your browser cache (A good thing to do every now and then, anyway)?

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Never get a P.C. I am almost certain that Vista is the problem here.

Haha, how funny can this get?!

seriously, Vista is one of the best OSes I've seen in ages.

Actually, I just moved to a completely different area. I am now using a broadband connection instead of a wireles connection.

I couldn't tell you what the model of my router is, but I would be happy to find out if you could tell me how to figure it out.

Try this site: http://portforward.com/

Here you could find how to configure a static IP address: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Briefly put, I believe your router blocks any non open and redirected ports when you get a dynamic IP address - your home network, the router, probably assigns a new IP address by default each time you connect.

I could be wrong, mind you. If Runescape is the only thing that lags then it might be a crappy ISP. Your starting point should be plugging a laptop or a different computer to the router and see whether the problems continue.

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

I won't push this any further off-topic, sorry I even mentioined that P.C comment, it is just my personal experience with this computer.

How would I go about reseting my modem? are there any potential negative side-effects of doing this? I contacted my ISP, and they said that those ports were probably not being blocked by my modem, and if they are, would reseting the modem do any good if it came that way?

My computer does not have a router.

I was reading a completely seperate topic on another forum, and they were talking about editing something called a "host file" in order to open up runescape ports. Is that possible?

There should be a reset button on the modem itself. If not unplug all connections and the the power cord. Wait thirty seconds before plugging it back in. It'll push a new IP.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

There should be a reset button on the modem itself. If not unplug all connections and the the power cord. Wait thirty seconds before plugging it back in. It'll push a new IP.

Thanks for the information. the only concern that I have is that i got this modem less than a week ago, and runescape has never actually worked form it, so I'm not sure that reseting it will do much good. i'm thinking it it maybe an issue with my host. (i don't really know what the hell i'm talking about, so please bear with me if i'm not making any sense)

The hosts file is located here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

The host file has no extension so you'll have to right click it and choose open with notepad[Caution: Executable File] (located in windows folder)

Once you've opened it check if any of the IP in there are those of runescape.

But normally if runescape is in there you can't access the website either.

Basically when you put an IP down there you block it from accessing your computer thus showing Page unavailable.

A normal host file should contain this:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

# etc...

# [rest of text goes here]

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

and this only, of course make sure that if there's other stuff written there not to mindlessy delete it if it has nothing to do with runescape.

But I highly doubt that has anything to do with it as you can access the website, but never hurts to check. :thumbsup:

evilmagister.png

Thanks for the info, but it had nothing to do with it as you suspected. it is obviously the ISP. i played runescape, I quit for a month, i only used my computer for very basic things in that month, and then I moved. I tried to play runescape and it didn't work. My ISP has said that they do not block any ports, but after reseting my modem, and temporarily shutting down all security programs, RS still did not work. it is obviously the ISP, probably just a lazy idiot on the other side of the Customer service line who can't answer any of my questions in any real way.

I'll just end my service with the company that I am currently getting service from and move to one that tracks its activities and manages its security in a competent way. I really don't understand why they would lie about something so small and routine. It is possible that they simply randomly block major ports off with out thinking about the possibilities or problems that may come from doing that. Either way, I am finished with this ISP. Thanks for the help that everyone provided.

Thanks for the info, but it had nothing to do with it as you suspected. it is obviously the ISP. i played runescape, I quit for a month, i only used my computer for very basic things in that month, and then I moved. I tried to play runescape and it didn't work. My ISP has said that they do not block any ports, but after reseting my modem, and temporarily shutting down all security programs, RS still did not work. it is obviously the ISP, probably just a lazy idiot on the other side of the Customer service line who can't answer any of my questions in any real way.

I'll just end my service with the company that I am currently getting service from and move to one that tracks its activities and manages its security in a competent way. I really don't understand why they would lie about something so small and routine. It is possible that they simply randomly block major ports off with out thinking about the possibilities or problems that may come from doing that. Either way, I am finished with this ISP. Thanks for the help that everyone provided.

It wouldn't be your ISP, they would gain nothing by blocking those. The only ports they would block would be of ones used for BitTorrent traffic, most ISPs only throttle traffic through those ports though.

Have you tried what DeeKay mentioned?

Try this site: http://portforward.com/

Here you could find how to configure a static IP address: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Briefly put, I believe your router blocks any non open and redirected ports when you get a dynamic IP address - your home network, the router, probably assigns a new IP address by default each time you connect.

I could be wrong, mind you. If Runescape is the only thing that lags then it might be a crappy ISP. Your starting point should be plugging a laptop or a different computer to the router and see whether the problems continue.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!