Nadril's Favorite 30 albums.

Nadril

Man, I never realized how difficult it would be to have to make a list of all of my favorite albums. Still I think this is a diverse enough list, I tried getting albums from a lot of different kind of bands. I also realize that probably a number of these albums also exist on other people's list, but that only goes to show how much you guy's on TIF have influenced my musical tastes these past few years. :)

1. Jesu's Silver (EP)

jesu-silver.jpg

Jesu's Silver EP is probably not a suprise to most of you here. To me silver is the perfect album to listen to if you're down. It's depressing, the lyrics are depressing and the slow

tempo certainly doesn't help. However despite all of this I feel like there is always that small glimmer of hope in the songs. Even though this is an EP it deserves to stand among full

length albums. An easy choice for #1.

I think that part of the reason why I hold Silver to such a high regard though is that it did help me through some difficult times. It's musically very well done, but to me it does feel like something more.

2. Angizia's Das Schachspiel des Trommelbuben Zacharias

Das%20Schachbrett%20Des%20Trommelbuben%20Zacharias.jpg

This is my favorite Angiza album. Describing Angizia is a somewhat difficult task, but I think it can best be summed up from what I read in a review once:

"Imagine yourself in inter-war Germany. Everything is unstable. The country is on the verge of political and financial crisis. People are desperate. It is the Dark Age of modern society.

A period of moral decline.

Now, imagine getting lost in Berlin's allies at a cold autumn night. Mist surrounds you. You have nowhere to go. Suddenly, you notice an old, low, crippled building on your left.

It has its lights on. Smoke gets out of the windows. You hear people laughing. You decide to enter the building in hope of finding someone to help you finding your way home.

When entering the building you realise that it is a cabaret. A grand piano is set in the stage. Suddenly, the lights go off and you hear the soothing sound of the grand piano.

That's the atmosphere that Angizia convey to you in this recording."

It completely sums up the atmosphere of Angizia. It's incredibly fun music to listen to yet it still has a strange feeling and atmosphere to it, like what is described above.

3+4. Bathory's Nordland I + II

Nordland%20II.jpg

I know, it's two albums -- and it is rightfully so taking up two spots. Bathory's Nordland is an example of what viking metal should be - epic. I don't know if I can really try and explain it any more

than that, it's "epic". While the word rightfully so is overused I find that it describes bathory's Nordland easily. It was a close one between these and Hammerheart, but in the end I found that I enjoyed

Nordland I + II much more.

5. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath

1179053645_black_sabbath.jpg

It's an easy pick, sure. However you can't help but get chills down your spine during their title song -- "Oh no, no, please God help me!". There isn't much that can be said for the album that started a

genre, and I don't think I can explain it.

6. Zuriaake's Afterimages of Autumn

zuriaake%2B-%2Bautumn...jpg

Zuriaake's album starts off real peaceful. In fact even though most of the album is very harsh it never feels angry, if that makes any sense at all. It's a wonderful mix of Black Metal and ambient sounds,

certainly something I think every black metal fan should listen to. Also it has an amazing cover art.

7. Primordial's To the Nameless Dead

To%20The%20Nameless%20Dead.jpg

This album is relentless. Primordial doesn't bother with "slow passages" or "gay moments" and instead opts for a relentless assault. Somehow through all of this album it never gets boring. It's as if the

album takes off running and keeps on managing to build speed throughout the entire process - geting more and more intense as it goes along. The vocals are very crisp and clean but still maintain that

aura of intensity that the rest of the music holds. A brilliant album.

8. Maudlin of the Well's Bath

dfb1c060ada01101c4f98110._AA240_.L.jpg

I'll be honest and say I haven't listened to much of Maudlin's discography, however this album is excelent. The lyrics are deep and the non metal parts are excelent. I have to somewhat agree with

SilverSword's earlier post of this album in which the metal parts are not the best, however I probably don't mind them as much as he does. It's a very artistic album still, a great listen.

9. Alamaailman Vasrat's Kaarmelautakunta

cover_254910492004.jpg

This is a relatively new album I've listened to, but it's easily one of my favorites now. The instrumental choices they make are very unique (A Cello and a soprano sax, for example, you hear a lot) and the

music is a lot of fun. It's almost as if someone decided to put some sort of polka beat to a metal song, certainly worth a listen.

10. Mono's One Step More and You Die

mono-one-step-more-and-you-die.jpg

This is another new album I started listening to a while ago. It's an incredibly calm and relaxing album, perfect for just drifting away and thinking.

11. Summoning's Stronghold

Stronghold.jpg

My favorite Summoning album. It's a great blend of some of their earlier, more black metal albums, and their later albums such as Oath Bound. Every song just drips with atmosphere. Even if you are not a

fan of black metal I would recommend this album, the melody's are hauntingly beautiful in it.

12. Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy

Aphex%20Twin%20-%20Come%20To%20Daddy.jpg

It was difficult picking an album from them that was my favorite, and it came down to this and his Selected Ambient Works. In the end though, despite the shorter run time, I found this album to be a lot more

enjoyable to listen to. Come to Daddy is a downright creepy song, and Flim is such a carefree contrast to it.

13. Blind Guardian's Live

cover_36445872007.jpg

Probably my favorite live album, the musicianship Blind Guardian shows here is excelent. The crowd is wonderful (especially on songs such as Bright Eyes and The Bard's Song) and Hanshi (their vocalist) is crazy

energetic. I also should mention that this album has pretty much all of Blind Guardian's best songs, and between songs such as Nightfall, Harvest of Sorrow, Bright eyes, The Bard's song and

Lord of the rings there is a lot to enjoy here.

14+15. Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys parts I + II

Helloween-KeeperOfTheSevenKeysPt2.jpg

This is a surprisingly solid power metal album from Helloween. Of course it is best if you don't take them seriously, and if you don't you're in for a really fun ride. Easily Helloween's best album(s), and

very much worth the two spots it holds.

16. Infected Mushroom's Merlin

Infected+Mushroom+-+Merlin.jpg

Not quite sure what to say about this album. It's my favorite album from Infected Mushroom with some great upbeat songs. There isn't too much to say.

17. Less Than Jake's Anthem

Less_than_jake_Anthem-2003.jpg

I'm sure this looks odd here, but believe me -- it fits in. Anthem is actually probably one of the first albums on this list I listened to, and even after all these years I still love it. I'm sure there is better ska out there, I'm sure there are even better Less than Jake albums. However this one is still a favorite of mine, and in all honesty is one of the only ska albums I really own.

18. Therion's A'arab Zaraq Lucid Dreaming

A%27arab+Jaraq+Lucid+Dreaming+(1997.jpg

This is one of my favorite Therion albums, even though it is close between this and their early Death Metal album, Beyond Sanctorum. A'arab keeps the darker feel that the early Therion albums hold while

mixing in their symphonic elements that they are known for. A'arab has a lot of memorable songs such as In Remembrance. Just a great album and a great mixing of styles.

19. Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous

album-Thin-Lizzy-Live-and-Dangerous.jpg

Another live album, but this is Thin Lizzy at their peak and is them performing all of their best songs. The band, the crowd and the atmosphere is very energetic and a lot of the songs played sound better

than their studio counterparts. I realize that this album was also on Azvareth's list, but it deserves to be put on somewhere again.

20. NoFX's The Decline

TheDecline_albumcover.jpg

Maybe it's cheating using an EP that consists of only 1 song. Still I feel that NoFX's The Decline is one of the best punk songs ever written, and certainly is worthy of an album by its self. Gone is NoFX's

usual pop punk nature, The Decline is a great look at our culture. Plus the bass in this song is incredible, and it's easily one of the catchiest punk songs I have listened to. Nothing much better than

blaring this in the car singing along.

21. Megadeth's The World Needs A Hero

Megadeth+-+The+World+Needs+A+Hero.jpg

I probably could have chosen any of Megadeth's albums from their early/mid career as there are qualities from all of them that I love, but to keep it fresh I've decided to choose "The World Needs A Hero" for

this list. This has some great, perhaps lesser known, megadeth songs on it. Mustaines normal anger shows well on this album, especially with songs such as "1000 Times Goodbye". It's hard to say if it is the

best Megadeth album, but it's certainly a great one.

22. Jesu's Jesu

200px-Jesu_-_Jesu.jpg

I've been trying to keep off doubles from bands on this list, but Jesu's first full length album, Jesu, is too great not to put somewhere on this list. This album sounds a lot more muddled and drone-ish than

Jesu's album Silver, but it's still an excelent album. You can certainly feel what Brodwick was feeling while writing this album, and the atmosphere is excelent.

23. Dark Moor's Dark Moor

573.jpg

Another great power metal album. Great guitar work, great vocals and a lot of fun to listen to. Very solid album and one of Dark Moor's best.

24. Between the Buried and Me's Colors

VR351.jpg

This is another easy choice to make for the list, even though I very well could have put their album Alaska on as well. Between the Buried and Me is one of the very few Metalcore bands I will listen to, but

they certainly sound nothing like other metalcore offerings. Great progressive work and the guitar is very impressive.

25. Agalloch's Pale Folklore

cover_182192082005.jpg

One of the nice things about Agalloch is all of their albums feel very different musically. Pale Folklore has a lot of folk elements to it, and feels a lot more atmospheric than their other albums. While I

think I would put this on the list even if just for their song She Painted Fire Across The Skyline the rest of the album is all very strong as well. It's difficult picking a favorite from Agalloch's

discography, but I think this would have to be mine.

26. Alice in Chain's Dirt

Alice+in+Chains+-+Dirt+(1992).jpg

I actually really enjoy Alice in Chain's Dirt album. I normally don't really listen to grunge style music, but I have to make an exception for Alice in Chains. Dirt has a great selection of songs from

Them Bones, to Rooster to Angry Chair. Easily a great listen.

27. Amon Amarth's Versus the World

VsTheWorld03.jpg

[cabbage], what can I say? I mean this is an incredibly badass album, haha. There isn't much I can really explain about Amarth. It's heavy, it's got some great guitar work in it, and it's bad [wagon]. Pretty much

exactly what you would want from a metal album.

28. Blut Aus Nord's The World Which Transforms God

517KNN9980L._AA240_.jpg

I don't listen to much Black Metal these days but Blut Aus Nord's The World Which Transforms God can be an exception. This is excelent depressive black metal.

29. Muse's Absolution

4m1269k.jpg

I have to say I'm a sucker for catchy albums. I don't consider Muse to be the most musical band in the world, but I don't care. Absolution is a lot of fun to listen to and quite catchy.

30. Pink Floyd's The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

B000002UA0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm sure that putting Pink Floyd's first album will make me seem elitist but in all honesty I find it to be my favorite out of their discography. I love the unique sound that songs such as The Gnome or Bike have, and songs such as Interstellar Overdrive are just amazing.

Pretty good list.

Surprised to see Amon Amarth on there.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Pretty good list.

Surprised to see Amon Amarth on there.

Amon Amarth is awesome. :P

I have heard uite a few of these albums and love them. I'm looking into some of your black metal choices right now

Cool. Like I said I don't listen to much black metal, I'd like to think the black metal I do listen to is good though. :D

Interesting, Nordland in front of; Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods.

The Nordland albums are good, no doubt, i however think the EQ on the guitar should have been turned down a bit.

A thing you might want to know, before his heart stopped working, he was going to start working on the next album in the next weeks. But, nature decided otherwise.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Interesting, Nordland in front of; Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods.

The Nordland albums are good, no doubt, i however think the EQ on the guitar should have been turned down a bit.

A thing you might want to know, before his heart stopped working, he was going to start working on the next album in the next weeks. But, nature decided otherwise.

Yeah like I said it was a tough choice. I love all 4 (well 5 because Nordland I/II) of those albums, and I could probably put all of them up there if I wanted to.

Interesting choice - wouldn't have thought Less than Jake and NOFX would be your type. And it's good to see you appreciate Muse before they became a 'massive' band. Personally i prefer the 'Showbiz' album and you can buy it very cheaply on ebay or play.

It's also good to see you can go back to your roots with the Anthem album, though we share different musical tastes i would put one or two of the first albums i properly listened to on a list if i ever did one.

Can't say i've heard of Jesu, but i will check them out.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Good to see motW and Alamaailman Vasarat. Käärmelautakunta is also my own favourite by them. Everyone seems to love Vaasaraasia more though...

Just a note: there are a select few bands in the same sort of style as BtBaM - most notably English mathcore band SikTh. Can't say I'm too much of a fan, (in fact, I think they're rather uninspired and forgettable) but they could be worth checking out if you're interested in something similar.

Nice list. Interesting choice for the Therion release; most people I know pump Theli or Deggial as their best.

The only album on there that I've heard and would disagree deserves a place would be Dark Moor's s/t which never really clicked with me. I find Gates of Oblivion to be their best by a long way.

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Helloween's latest? (Assuming you've listened to it) After the two albums released just before I'd nearly written them off as not worth checking out anymore, but I'm glad I checked Gambling with the Devil out now - one of the best releases of 2007 imo.

And I'll agree with Blind Guardian's Live being brilliant. Second only to Kamelot's One Cold Winter's Night in terms of live albums I'd say, though only just.

And I really don't see many similarites between SikTh and BtBaM, but maybe that's just me.
Indeed, there aren't many. It's sort of the same idea, executed differently. Both bands remind me of The Dillinger Escape Plan in places though, which is an excellent, excellent band.

Nice list. Interesting choice for the Therion release; most people I know pump Theli or Deggial as their best.

The only album on there that I've heard and would disagree deserves a place would be Dark Moor's s/t which never really clicked with me. I find Gates of Oblivion to be their best by a long way.

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Helloween's latest? (Assuming you've listened to it) After the two albums released just before I'd nearly written them off as not worth checking out anymore, but I'm glad I checked Gambling with the Devil out now - one of the best releases of 2007 imo.

And I'll agree with Blind Guardian's Live being brilliant. Second only to Kamelot's One Cold Winter's Night in terms of live albums I'd say, though only just.

I didn't even know Holloween was doing a new album, I'll have to give it a try. As far as Therion goes A'arab just has some of the most memorable songs for me. Like I said it was really close between it and Beyond Sanatorium, and I really should have put that album on the list as well.

And I never was a huge fan of Kamelot, dunno why.

I'm listening to Dark Moor's selftitled for the first time in about a year. It's really cheesy but so [bleep] awesome. Rightfully deserves a place here.

Haha yeah. I'm a sucker for cheesy music. :lol:

I'm listening to Dark Moor's selftitled for the first time in about a year. It's really cheesy but so [bleep] awesome. Rightfully deserves a place here.

Haha yeah. I'm a sucker for cheesy music. :lol:

Ever tried Fairyland? Try their first full-length. It has the same vocalist as some of the mid-era Dark Moor material. The keyboards are ridiculous, it is SO cheesy!

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....