Girls Don't Exist on Runescape

meili

I am a girl on the internet.There really are quite a few of us.

Women have had a long history in Runescape. Many of the first players and famous people were women in real life. The first smither who got 99 smithing was Bluerose13x. She was extremely powerful and rich during her time since she was literally the only source of player-smithed items.

The first person to get 99 fishing was Tks and all the top crafters were also women. Women in Runescape are everywhere, as old school players, clan leaders, skillers, pkers and player moderators.

Yet in spite of all this, the female RS players must contend daily with the opinion that she does not exist.

"There are no girls on the intarwebs!"

"You aren't a real girl."

"I don't believe you are really a woman."

Why this persistent belief that nobody female would ever play RS? Do we need the XY genes to click a mouse? Obviously not, yet I have met many, many players who are genuinely convinced that female RS players cannot possibly exist.

The reasons are many, varied and also rather pathetic.

"All the girls I know irl don't play games, they just go out for meals."

This is an absolutely genuine reply I have gotten from a (presumably male) RS player. Yes, he really thinks women do nothing but go out for meals.

When the RS player insists that, yes, she really is a girl, the replies are entirely predicatable.

"No pic no proof."

"You're not a girl if u don't show us pics."

"Get on ventrilo."

"Webcam."

Men do not need to go on ventrilo/webcam or show their pics to everyone who asks just to prove that they exist. Why do women have to bother?

One time I joined an IRC channel for a Runescape-related community. Right away, I got kicked. Then again and again until I gave up on reading the final message (and the reason for the kicks) "[bleep] off, there are no girls on the internet." Another reason I have been kicked from IRC -"[bleep] or gtfo."

Comment please, either here or in my blog http://stripeybank.blogspot.com/

I would really like to know what RS players think about all this.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its idiotic, I have quite afew runescape friends who are women. One is an older lady who is going for maxed total. The other has been around since 2001 also. Both are some of my best runescape friends.

People who think women don't play obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Low_C.png

What's a girl?

*throw wine glass* A miserable little pile of secrets?

My guess is it is not that they dont trust you are a girl... Its just they want your pic/vid/whatever...

[hide=Most likely explanation]*girl3456 has join the chat*

nerd2345: Die monster, u dont belong to this world

girl3456: It was men who wish to play me tribute.

nerd2345: Tribute? u steal men souls!

nerd2345: Enough talk, have at thou!

*girl3456 has been kicked from chat*[/hide]

I don't see the problem really, if I was female I would be happy that people thought I was a guy; the majority of males on the internet are even more stupid and obnoxious than they are in real life (which is bad enough).

One time I joined an IRC channel for a Runescape-related community. Right away, I got kicked. Then again and again until I gave up on reading the final message (and the reason for the kicks) "[bleep] off, there are no girls on the internet." Another reason I have been kicked from IRC -"[bleep] or gtfo."

Point proven.

Why would girls want to make it apparent to strangers that they are female unless they are desperate attention seekers, if you actually make friends and talk to people it's obvious what sex they are. I personally don't care if you are male or female, if you are male fine, if you are female fine i'm still going to treat you exactly the same way over the internet.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

I know exactly what you are talking about. No one believes that adults play on RS either (at least not creepy ones). That makes me one of the rare adult female RS player. To bad even if the adults and the girls all band together, we would still be over-run by the immature 13 year old boys (not to say all 13 year old boys are immature, just the vast majority ). Heck, you could add all the mature teens on the game and we'd still be over run, unfortunatly :cry: .

My advice, just keep your head down, play your game, and be honest if anyone asks, and if someone gets out of hand, ignore them. You'll meet up with people that are ok to game with eventually.

Well, I mean the most obvious question raised here is why do you have a computer in the kitchen?

I lol'd

But seriously it's mainly because guys pick female characters. Although you can really tell when a character is a girl because she isn't wearing a skimpy outfit that shows off her amazing pixel booty. People are idiots if they don't believe you're a girl when you say you are.

Any guy that would go to that length to make sure he's known as a girl is gender confused.

1288581197250-1.jpg

Well, I mean the most obvious question raised here is why do you have a computer in the kitchen?

That was idiotic.

What it comes down to is you have a game that attracts 16 year old players. The majority of them males as computers in general are more toy than a tool, where as woman look at it as a tool. My guess because of a quicker mid teen mature point, while i believe it is more case by case.

When you get a group of hormones crazed guys who think a woman on the internet is someone to get on cam to do stuff with, you get [developmentally delayed]ed sexist comments.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

i must say. this is one of the most awesome things i have ever seen written here. perefect timing and deliverly too. goodjob.

ot: women will get treated about as equaly on the web as a white guy in a racial situation now a days.

Y_Z.png

Why would girls want to make it apparent to strangers that they are female unless they are desperate attention seekers

She said she joined the IRC, meaning she joined either under her first name or her runescape name (which also could be girly). Going by what you're saying, she should join the server under "Billy" to avoid being labelled an attention seeker? :roll:

Why would girls want to make it apparent to strangers that they are female unless they are desperate attention seekers

She said she joined the IRC, meaning she joined either under her first name or her runescape name (which also could be girly). Going by what you're saying, she should join the server under "Billy" to avoid being labelled an attention seeker? :roll:

I wasn't reffering to the IRC incident in that paragraph, the quote was for my first paragraph.

And n_odie some guys think that because there are actually girls out there who are like that.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

I'm not sure why it's so taboo, I knew two girls that played runescape, I think one still does. Kids are just immature and stereotype genders, they don't realize we're the same, we just have different parts.

wl7w9j.png

I personally think you don't need to go out of your way to prove that you're a girl; if they don't believe that you're a girl, then whatever. At least you're still a girl irl.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I personally think you don't need to go out of your way to prove that you're a girl; if they don't believe that you're a girl, then whatever. At least you're still a girl irl.

Exactly. I think it's best to ignore whoever's being the stubborn idiot on the otherside of the screen.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Sadly, it's the whole "boy who cried wolf" thing. So many people pose as females on the internet for various reasons that when a person actually meets one, they can be doubtful. I admit that women use the internet also, but even I am sometimes doubtful when I see females on runescape -- not because they don't exist, but because so many are fake.

lalalasig2.png

Unfortunately, Bluerose13x was a snobby [bleep]. :thumbdown:

But yes, TC has a good point. As with most online games, the RS population is comprised of mostly males. Unfortunately, because of Jagex's relentless campaign to cater to a certain age-group, most of those males are 12-14 year olds just entering adolescence, so they are naturally horny.

Girls have it really hard in this game... Aside from the immature comments that males hurl out at them, Jagex themselves are guilty of gender-bias in the way they design updates. Almost everything looks terrible on females, either because Jagex didn't bother to bug test it as thoroughly as they did the male counterpart (resulting in various pieces clipping other pieces and showing through), because it's tiny (almost every single piece of headgear) or because it's [bleep]ty-looking.

td2sig.jpg

These days I rarely get questioned about my gender on RuneScape, but I do get a lot of "You're a prepubescent boy!" or "You're using a voice changer" if people doubt my gender in other games that have voice chat. And even if they do believe I am a girl, I'm still treated as if I'm not human at all, but instead the butt end of their jokes (I hate kitchen jokes... they make me want to plot evil things if those people ever step into my kitchen...) or their outlet for their hormones. :roll:

I guess it's just the fact that the game doesn't seem "girly" or doesn't have the characteristics for girls. If we were playing Barbie games or cute fuzzy animal-related games, immediately people go "that's for girls!" But RuneScape is about adventure and whatnot, and that supposedly says "this is for guys only! Girls aren't tough enough for this stuff." #-o

Come on, the games aren't labeled for specific genders. :wall:

Almost everything looks terrible on females, either because Jagex didn't bother to bug test it as thoroughly as they did the male counterpart (resulting in various pieces clipping other pieces and showing through), because it's tiny (almost every single piece of headgear) or because it's [bleep]ty-looking.

I think armour looks better on females then males because mainly males have to bulky armour.

These days I rarely get questioned about my gender on RuneScape,

It's because if they call you a guy in the chat, 5+ people will pounce on them... guaranteed :P.

I personally know girls play RS. I know some girls that go to my school play RS, among other games. I also know girls who I've never even met before that play RS.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

but I do get a lot of "You're a prepubescent boy!" or "You're using a voice changer" if people doubt my gender in other games that have voice chat. And

Happens on XBL a lot, since it's a requirement to make fun of any guy who sounds like he's 10 you inevitably end up calling a few girls a 10 year old boy.

But yeah, I know plenty of girls play runescape. Or played, or whatever.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp