Why slayer?

Kietaro1

It's diverse and allows me to explore new monsters that I might not have without it. I started to love wyverns now because of slayer :)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slayer is fun because it rhymes with layer. And everyone knows what's made of layers.

Cakes! Everybody loves cakes! You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "No, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious. Parfaits may be the most delicious thing on the whole damn planet. Do you have a tissue or

something? I'm making a mess. Just the word parfait make me start slobbering.

donkey_shrek2.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I don't want to tell you the bleeding obvious but slayer isn't a combat skill. I think it should be over summoning but thats runescape for you.

slayer isn't a combat skill because someone with 1 slayer and maxed melees has no disadvantage against someone with 99 slayer and maxed melees. someone with 1 summoning and maxed melees is at a disadvantage against someone with 99 summoning and maxed melees (assuming they're using familiars)

Maxed melee cannot help in Soul wars as much as one with 99.

1 Slayer cannot hunt huge amounts of monsters compared to 99.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

I don't want to tell you the bleeding obvious but slayer isn't a combat skill. I think it should be over summoning but thats runescape for you.

slayer isn't a combat skill because someone with 1 slayer and maxed melees has no disadvantage against someone with 99 slayer and maxed melees. someone with 1 summoning and maxed melees is at a disadvantage against someone with 99 summoning and maxed melees (assuming they're using familiars)

Or...at least 90, currently.

But yes, you have a great point. A lot of people don't view Slayer as a combat skill, but that's just them with word vomit, really. They don't stop and think about it because everyone is so quick to judge and have an opinion. But really, high slayer owns in Soul Wars, yes, but the biggest quirk of slayer is the fact that you need it to kill slayer monsters, and as it stands, Abyssal Demons, while not being THE BEST method, are very very good for profit and for charms.

Fact of the matter is I can kill Dark Beasts, Abyssal Demons, Spiritual Mages, etc. People who don't slay cannot. Dark Beasts, Abyssal Demons, Spiritual Mages, etc are all a part of combat. You have to have combat skills to kill them, and slayer just happens to be one of them.

Really, it's people trying to make themselves feel better about not training it and losing out on the efficiency, or it's their way of justifying that the way they are training is better. In reality, though, Slayer will always trump the other methods in the long run.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

^

oooookay, im going outside the box on this one.

my insights on the slayer skill. ive got 99 attack, 99 str, 99 def, and 99 hp right? well that sucks now when i train melee it will be for nothing but a rank.......NA, with slayer i can use these 99 skills and get 99 slayer! hell i could even train my magic or range while slaying! and if i didnt have any 99 melee stats i could just train slayer and get some!!! slayer was an update for lower levels and higher levels lets keep that in mind. i dont think slayer was whipped up as a quick "pick me up" skills.

Do you think that slayer should influence your combat level just because of that?

77yLQy8.png

Do you think that slayer should influence your combat level just because of that?

Magic and Ranged are part of combat but once your melee is high enough they don't count towards your combat level. Does that mean that only melee should count towards your combat level?

Combat level isn't the ONLY aspect of combat. The thing is, while Slayer isn't a direct combat skill in the sense that it won't help you do more damage or defend against an opponent, it means you can attack monster which were previously invunerable to your hits. I don't honestly see how you can sit here and say Slayer isn't a part of combat when that's what the skill IS. It's combat.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Magic and Ranged are part of combat but once your melee is high enough they don't count towards your combat level. Does that mean that only melee should count towards your combat level?

That's because a person with maxed melees vs someone with maxed range or maxed mage will almost always win. Melee influences your combat level more than range or mage because 99 att and 99 str is more powerful than 99 range or 99 mage. If you could max combat via mage or range while keeping melees at 1, you'd get beat up by all the people who maxed combat out via melee. In contrast, someone with 99 range against someone with 80 att/str will be more of a fair fight since their combat levels will be about the same.

Combat level isn't the ONLY aspect of combat. The thing is, while Slayer isn't a direct combat skill in the sense that it won't help you do more damage or defend against an opponent, it means you can attack monster which were currently invunerable to your hits. I don't honestly see how you can sit here and say Slayer isn't a part of combat when that's what the skill IS. It's combat.

Slayer cannot and never will influence your combat level because no matter what slayer level you have, you won't be getting any extra advantage on an opponent if they haven't trained slayer. It's not like melee or range or mage, where the higher the skill is, the more powerful you become. It's not like prayer, where the higher it is, the longer you can use combat-related prayers to make you perform better in combat. It's not like summoning, where you can summon a familiar to help you out combat. Slayer does not help you in combat. Therefore, it should never influence your combat level.

77yLQy8.png

Correct me if I am wrong. When Slayer first came out was there a new concept where you have to bring certain equipment to kill certain creatures? I notice quest bosses are much more unique now and require strategies to fight them.

Or were there creatures of this sort existing before Slayer?

Like everyone else (well most everyone). Slayer is the most logical choice to level up. It forces you to go around Gielinor and meet new people. You learn more about each creature and the best set up as you gain levels. Also who does not like wearing the slayer helmet. It is my favorite headgear next to the helm of neitiznot. Oh and the cape is awesome. Black capes tend to go well with most outfits.

To all fellow slayers out there I salute thee and wish you a many prosperous trips. As for all the haters... *sigh*.

By the way. Players are layers... Though I can see how cake would be a good substitute.

Why not get combat XP, while getting also summoning, and slayer?. You vary monsters which is the main reason why I do it. It gets too annoying to train at one combat spot. Also, epic money

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

[hide=]

That's because a person with maxed melees vs someone with maxed range or maxed mage will almost always win. Melee influences your combat level more than range or mage because 99 att and 99 str is more powerful than 99 range or 99 mage. If you could max combat via mage or range while keeping melees at 1, you'd get beat up by all the people who maxed combat out via melee. In contrast, someone with 99 range against someone with 80 att/str will be more of a fair fight since their combat levels will be about the same.

Combat level isn't the ONLY aspect of combat. The thing is, while Slayer isn't a direct combat skill in the sense that it won't help you do more damage or defend against an opponent, it means you can attack monster which were currently invunerable to your hits. I don't honestly see how you can sit here and say Slayer isn't a part of combat when that's what the skill IS. It's combat.

Slayer cannot and never will influence your combat level because no matter what slayer level you have, you won't be getting any extra advantage on an opponent if they haven't trained slayer. It's not like melee or range or mage, where the higher the skill is, the more powerful you become. It's not like prayer, where the higher it is, the longer you can use combat-related prayers to make you perform better in combat. It's not like summoning, where you can summon a familiar to help you out combat. Slayer does not help you in combat. Therefore, it should never influence your combat level.

[/hide]

See, what your problem is, is that you're under the sad assumption that the only thing combat is used against is other players. While it's true that Slayer won't help in pvp (Unless you're playing soul wars) or most major boss monsters, there are currently THIRTY-NINE monsters in Runescape that can only be killed with the appropriate Slayer level, and cannot be harmed otherwise. If you don't train Slayer, and go up against one of those monsters, you will ALWAYS lose.

Think of it that way. I swear, people like you are just so closed minded when it comes to things that are "out of your usual runescape routine."

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

See, what your problem is, is that you're under the sad assumption that the only thing combat is used against is other players. While it's true that Slayer won't help in pvp (Unless you're playing soul wars) or most major boss monsters, there are currently THIRTY-NINE monsters in Runescape that can only be killed with the appropriate Slayer level, and cannot be harmed otherwise. If you don't train Slayer, and go up against one of those monsters, you will ALWAYS lose.

Think of it that way. I swear, people like you are just so closed minded when it comes to things that are "out of your usual runescape routine."

lol there's no need to resort to insults, we were doing perfectly fine debating without them.

Anyways, your combat level serves two purposes: as a gauge of your strength, and more importantly, a way to determine fair fights in PvP (primarily the wilderness).

I understand what you're saying about fighting slayer monsters w/o training slayer. However, what I don't understand is why you think slayer should influence your combat level. Yes you won't be able to fight certain monsters... but that's just the same as with any other skill. The higher your skill, the more available options you get (i.e. making higher lvl potions).

It feels kinda like you and Sadukar just took what I said about not needing slayer to perform better in combat and just took an obvious but impractical example to use against me just for arguments sake :|

77yLQy8.png

[hide=]

[/hide]

thats like saying that quests should give you combat levels aswell because it allows you to fight new monsters. does that sound logical aswell?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

lol there's no need to resort to insults, we were doing perfectly fine debating without them.

Anyways, your combat level serves two purposes: as a gauge of your strength, and more importantly, a way to determine fair fights in PvP (primarily the wilderness).

I understand what you're saying about fighting slayer monsters w/o training slayer. However, what I don't understand is why you think slayer should influence your combat level. Yes you won't be able to fight certain monsters... but that's just the same as with any other skill. The higher your skill, the more available options you get (i.e. making higher lvl potions).

It feels kinda like you and Sadukar just took what I said about not needing slayer to perform better in combat and just took an obvious but impractical example to use against me just for arguments sake :|

But that's just the thing, you did the same thing you're saying I did. I said Slayer was a Combat Skill, as in, part of combat. Never did I say it deserved to be a part of your combat level. Somewhere along the way you interpreted it that way, but those words never came out of my mouth. In fact, to back this up, I did even say that combat level is not the only aspect of combat. There was a whole paragraph on it which now I'm wondering if you even read. :|

You're right, no need to insult but what I said isn't any more or less of what I still think. The stubborness of people who have to see things one way is ridiculous sometimes. The thing about me and slayer and combat is I trained melee the way you train melee now, almost all without slayer. But then when I was around level 85 slayer with maxed melee I used melee to get to 99 slayer and then I regretted the decision to not train with slayer in the first place. It's not that I don't understand your side of the train tracks, it's that I've been to both sides and I just simply know from experience that one is greener than the other.

[hide=]

[/hide]

thats like saying that quests should give you combat levels aswell because it allows you to fight new monsters. does that sound logical aswell?

Again, you didn't read my bit about combat level not being the only aspect of combat, either.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Edit: dang the hide tags got f'd in my post.

Slayer doesn't affect combat level...

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Personally I train Slayer because it's a skill to gain another 90+ levels in, which is pretty much free levels while training your combat. This beats maxing out your combat first, then go train slayer from level 1 which is even more inefficient.

That doesn't mean that I think Slayer is a wonderful skill concept-wise though. On the contrary, I do feel that it's anything but wonderful. The basic idea is alright: you gain some slayer levels, the slayer masters tell you about the new slayer creatures you can slayer, as well as the necessary special equipment/technique needed.

But this doesn't apply to A LOT of the tasks, which are just normal monsters. And while I understand that we unlock new methods of training through leveling up our skills, I still find the idea that I can't damage spiritual mages at level 82 slayer with a godsword, then SUDDENLY I could poke damage in them with any weapon at level 83 pretty silly. Reason being some of the true slayer monsters aren't even that different from normal monsters, like spiritual mages, dark beasts, abyssal demons and crawling hands.

If you think about the last 3 slayer beasts you can unlock, it seems like the guys who designed the skills ran out of special creatures, but they needed something to drop some high level and popular equipment that isn't going to be obtainable by everyone, and so they create a monster model and attach a slayer level to it. The level requirement attached to them are no more than a cap to prevent everyone from camping at these monster. Of course, the other way Jagex employ to release these sort of equipments is to put them under the drop list of high level, high HP boss monsters.

If they apply the idea of "killing special creatures with special techniques/equipment" to all the tasks, perhaps I'd find Slayer actually a meaningful and unique skill. It should be "killing special creatures with special techniques/equipment in special areas" to be honest. What's with two giant tower and dungeon and dumping the majority of the slayer creatures there? And the funny thing is, most people hate tasks that require an extra effort in killing, like warped terrorbirds and gargoyles. I like them actually, truely slayer creatures.

For now, Slayer's just another skill to push my total level up the highscore.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

With slayer, you get to kill about every monster, and getting diverse drops, its never the same for ne1,

And coolest cape!!!

GEt to max ur melees\range\mage with, plus i profited from getting 99, so there ya go

99 slayer = win <3:

armahiltsigsk7.png

hiltbannerfd4.png

Killer3650.png

Killer3650.png

Home World: 99

Irc-Chat: #Aod

With slayer, you get to kill about every monster, and getting diverse drops, its never the same for ne1,

And coolest cape!!!

GEt to max ur melees\range\mage with, plus i profited from getting 99, so there ya go

99 slayer = win <3:

Slayer is a nice little money maker isn't it :D

Well, I don't train Slayer as much as some people, but when I train Slayer I enjoy the fact that you aren't sitting around doing the exact same thing over and over. Sure you are fighting, but the tactics that are needed vary according to what the task is. Also, when you go to get a task, it is exciting to see what the new task is. At higher levels, the rewards are good too.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I only slay because I'd lose attention at places like AZs and every time I train combat, I feel like I'm missing out on slayer exp because I want a nice even total. Other than that, slayer gets quite annoying sometimes and I just wanna go AZs. The money is just a nice reward from it, I guess but I'll probably stop at 90 for a while.

I have 85 slayer after 2 years of on-and-off slaying. Although it takes a long time to train, I love to train it mainly because I can't work up the motivation to train anything else. I find combat fun, and the good thing about slaying is that there's only two main ways to train it: SC/lamps (which i occasionally do to take a break from killing monsters and instead killing people while getting exp for slayer) and completing tasks. Other skills have already had their methods of 0-99 paved for them by thousands of other players. At a certain level, repeat a certain action 500 times with bought supplies and gain a level. When you reach another certain level, repeat a certain action 800 times to gain several levels, but this time you must use higher level objects (e.g. yew instead of maple). Slayer is different. You can't buy all the materials and autotrain it to 99, you have to do a bunch of different methods to kill the various monsters. It's a lot more random, and imo more fun.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

The plan was to get 85 slayer first. That took me a long time. I tried a few other things after that. Nothing really caught on. I went back to slayer and stuck with it.

I find it relaxing. And I play this game for this reason.

One of the aspects I like about slayer is that you constantly have to develop your ways of slaying. What works fine at a combat level of 80 is silly at 90 or 100 etc.

Now I am maxed out melee and rediscovering how to approach different monsters with range. I keep finetuning methods, trying out stuff, try to do tasks economical, do them quick etc.

There is a lot of variety to slayer even though I must have had each task dozens of times (currently at task 399, but i started a long time before "smoking kills".)

Good gain of experience, and there is a nice steady income. What more do you want?

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

i'm not a fan of slayer. it's already been said, but there are better ways to train combat, get money, and get charms.

the main thing i hate about slayer is the repetition. it seems like i always get assigned lessers, greaters, fire giants, and kalphites, with the occasional good task. if it wasn't for my cannon i wouldn't even bother training it.

mao_chins.png