PvP is alot less safe then you could imagine (DDOS'ing)

n00bfiterpk6

thats irc for you.

i think 3 hit u is on the money. shoulda used rs's cc. just wasted your time and lost your loot usin that.

btw. ddos'ing is on the rise and has been for like a month, why werent you more carful? i pk alot and have never had it happen besides the one time it was happening with just the key commands but hey i dont use any other programs either so why would it happen to me :roll:

clawer got ownt x 2.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving out your IP address to random people is like giving out your social security number. But I've never been in an IRC channel for more than five minutes, so it's not like I know much about those. Sorry you got DDOSed. :cry:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I suppose the question of the day would be...

Why did you go to their IRC in the first place?!

There's been a ton of reports and what-not about being DDoSed lately, and it usually happens to PKers with high gear. Never, ever let them have access to your IP address.

If they were on a more reputable IRC network like Tip.it or SwiftIRC, you could have quickly escalated the problem to a IRCOP, who'd have handled it nicely.

I suppose this is what Jagex means about the dangers of 3rd party stuff...just don't do it if you want to remain safe. :wall:

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think it's extremely stupid of the mods to remove the names of the player and IRC that were involved in this.

If the person and IRC are a threat to our security we should know who it is. I don't know what you were thinking Darkdude.

Repost the player and IRC name please so we know what the hell to avoid.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

People who DDoS others on a game to kill them are such epically [bleep]ing pathetic [bleep]s. There aren't words to describe how much I loathe these scumbags. It's a whole new level of cheating, one that is much worse than the "Mu" bug. I hope all people who DDoS over RS eventually get busted by the law and end up becoming somebody's boy toy in jail.

td2sig.jpg

I think it's extremely stupid of the mods to remove the names of the player and IRC that were involved in this.

If the person and IRC are a threat to our security we should know who it is. I don't know what you were thinking Darkdude.

In a situation like this, I agree. Darkdude is a new mod. We should have an older, more experienced one look at this, and not one who will simply follow protocol without considerating the circumstances.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

.... I hope all people who DDoS over RS eventually get busted by the law and end up becoming somebody's boy toy in jail.

3589owp.png

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

One of the reasons I never much cared for going to IRC, I really disliked my Ip being shown to people I didn't know. I don't mind using a reputable forum like this one though because I doubt people of power would risk their reputation to do any harm.

Low_C.png

In a situation like this, I agree. Darkdude is a new mod. We should have an older, more experienced one look at this, and not one who will simply follow protocol without considerating the circumstances.

If you think that there could be a risk to users then contacting an admin is best and they'll look at it. In the meantime though the names need to be removed because they are breaking the forum rules of not naming names.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Darkdude has been a mod for as long as I can remember so he certainly isn't inexperienced. It looks like he removed the names because noobfiter was insulting them, which is not allowed on these forums. However, I do agree the names should be posted.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I've seen vids of people not responding and getting downed for bandos etc not even eating, sorry to see a Tifer is a victim of this, I guess it's a reason Jagex dont like 3rd party programs, even chat ones.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

You deserved it. Rushing is absolutely pathetic. It doesn't even take as much skill as DDOS'ing, which is also pathetic. Perhaps now you've learned your lesson: trust no one.

Rushing might not be honorable, but do you really have to pour salt in his wound?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

You deserved it. Rushing is absolutely pathetic. It doesn't even take as much skill as DDOS'ing, which is also pathetic. Perhaps now you've learned your lesson: trust no one.

Rushing might not be honorable, but do you really have to pour salt in his wound?

Yes because I'm in a bad mood and I really hate rushers. From what I've seen he's a decent pker, so he obviously has skill, it's just that he lost all respect I had for him once I found out he rushes.

wl7w9j.png

I suppose the question of the day would be...

Why did you go to their IRC in the first place?!

There's been a ton of reports and what-not about being DDoSed lately, and it usually happens to PKers with high gear. Never, ever let them have access to your IP address.

If they were on a more reputable IRC network like Tip.it or SwiftIRC, you could have quickly escalated the problem to a IRCOP, who'd have handled it nicely.

I suppose this is what Jagex means about the dangers of 3rd party stuff...just don't do it if you want to remain safe. :wall:

The thing is, it was on SwiftIRC server. However, I don't think he reported it. Which is a shame, to say the least. And it's dissapointing to see that channel's still open. Their names have been passed on, though. Hopefulyl their accounts will be disabled. ;)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I don't get people like you who have a notion that pk'ing is something that must always be "honourable" and "fair". Pk'ing is about killing your opponent while not dying. Thats it. If the most effective way to do this is rush them then so be it, rush the hell out of them. Its like that guy who was flaming me for cheating at barrows and "having no sense of fairplay" for using a safespot while he attacked the brothers at melee range. Why should I not use the safespot when it is more effective and lets me get 20+ runs per barrow trip as opposed to going back after every run.

That said Ddos'ers are a growing problem and I'm sorry to hear that you were a victim of it N00b, but really, never give out your IP addy mate.

Hunter

rawr7zv.gif

Thanks to Goldwolflord, megadedhed, willmcdermot, Biabf, jak722, born2die, Mediumwell, xxxShade, Random, speedofsound, edtheripper, and Alduron for the awesome sig

eh, I'm generally a cautious person in pvp, I've learned never to accept random clan recruitments in the middle of the wildy unless the person is mass advertising to get a big clan. Because when people come up to you personally and ask to join, it's almost always a scam.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

If you think that there could be a risk to users then contacting an admin is best and they'll look at it. In the meantime though the names need to be removed because they are breaking the forum rules of not naming names.

Ok I just took a quick look in the rules, it says you can't post their name saying they scammed you or whatever. That's fine, they can't defend themselves so whatever.

However, the rules say nothing about posting the name of an IRC channel that may be potentially dangerous if we were to enter. So bump the name and repost the IRC.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

I don't get people like you who have a notion that pk'ing is something that must always be "honourable" and "fair". Pk'ing is about killing your opponent while not dying. Thats it. If the most effective way to do this is rush them then so be it, rush the hell out of them. Its like that guy who was flaming me for cheating at barrows and "having no sense of fairplay" for using a safespot while he attacked the brothers at melee range. Why should I not use the safespot when it is more effective and lets me get 20+ runs per barrow trip as opposed to going back after every run.

That said Ddos'ers are a growing problem and I'm sorry to hear that you were a victim of it N00b, but really, never give out your IP addy mate.

Hunter

It's not honor pking that I'm furious about. I safe and use protection prayers because they help me. However rushing is just cowardly and selfish. I know that when I safe the other person will get mildy annoyed and, depending on their maturity, stop fighting or ignore it. It does drag on the battle, but that's why I'm in pvp - to battle people. I could care less about the loot, what I'm looking for is a good, fun fight. However there is no actual fighting in rushing, it's just one player abusing the overpowered weapons Jagex has put in the game and another player losing his items to a selfish player in search of an ancient statuette.

wl7w9j.png

+ + +

Sometimes common sense (and thus the security over other unsuspecting RS players) should take precedence over rules.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)