~Range 2H F2P PKing Guide~ [Update(s): Feb. 21st, 2011]

bongo_man

I've been really wanting to get into the PVP scene lately. (I've had an RS account for 6 years and only once killed someone. It was under the new bounty worlds and I got a half eaten pie and two empty vials :/) This seems to be an interesting start.

Just a few things:

Vampire Slayer - Why not do this as early as possible? Wouldn't you benefit from the extra levels early on to get a nice boost in training? Instead of using the reward as a leap from 38-40, you could take advantage of the experience earlier on and it would help out with getting levels later on.

Prayer - 44 pray?

I'd also like to know how a ranged tank would be build and how they fare.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been really wanting to get into the PVP scene lately. (I've had an RS account for 6 years and only once killed someone. It was under the new bounty worlds and I got a half eaten pie and two empty vials :/) This seems to be an interesting start.

Just a few things:

Vampire Slayer - Why not do this as early as possible? Wouldn't you benefit from the extra levels early on to get a nice boost in training? Instead of using the reward as a leap from 38-40, you could take advantage of the experience earlier on and it would help out with getting levels later on.

Prayer - 44 pray?

Yeah I can feel your pain, the first time I killed someone in the BH worlds I got a Steel Kiteshield =\

It really doesn't matter. If you decide to do the quest at 38, 27, or 1 Attack, you're still going to end up with 4825exp. There are no real strong reaons that show it's more beneficial using it at lower levels; I just suggest you use it at 38 Attack (32,399exp specifically) because I find it to be the most daunting, as opposed to going from 27-30 Attack or 1-20 Attack. But like I said before, it really isn't too big of a deal.

44 Prayer--like 31 Prayer--is completely optional. I only don't suggest it in section 1.2 because in order to utilise both Eagle Eye and Ultimate Strength, you'll have to learn how to prayer-switch. With only 31 Prayer you just have to focus on using Ultimate Strength. Besides, like I mentioned in the guide it's the 2H that (should) get you kill, so you want to make it as powerful as possible. If you were to get 44 Prayer and not utilise Eagle Eye, the only benefit would be longer lasting prayer, but you'll have to pay the price of the gaining combat levels. Ultimately, you probably will get 44 Prayer, but I suggest you don't immediately get 44- stop at 31 and use that for a while, unless you're already comfortable with prayer switching.

Range tanks fare fairly well in F2P, but you'd be better off using them in P2P, since it's hard to KO with just range in F2P. As for the build, to put it bluntly: high Range, high Defence, Prayer (44/52), Mage (only if P2P).

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

• 1 month later...

For the dictonary, DM is death match.

Sikhan, funny you should mention a range tank because I just made a begining guide on the subject. A range tank is the absolute best pker in p2p but not so much in f2p because of the player body. If your going p2p then for sure be a tank.

For the dictonary, DM is death match.

Sikhan, funny you should mention a range tank because I just made a begining guide on the subject. A range tank is the absolute best pker in p2p but not so much in f2p because of the player body. If your going p2p then for sure be a tank.

Thanks, I can't believe I forgot about that one lol.

I won't most likely won't be updating this guide with a prayer range 2Hing section since I don't play anymore.

FMAsig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Range tanks focus on primarily range (so that they can hold their own in fights) and def (so their opponent's don't hit). The build for the lowest cmb of a maxed range tank is 50-99-99, 99 range, mage, def, hp, 70 pray, or something like that. I believe that most range tanks will max with 60 att, for dragon weaps (claws and dds's are much more efficient than obby mauls, aren't they?).

As you should be able to tell from my signature, my build is somewhat of a range tank, though obviously I'm not maxed (although I do aim to be :D). As for how they fare, it depends on in what context. As for clan PKing, let's just say I've tanked in robes. No prayer. :whistle: (Try SK when they're massing.) It's quite amusing, really. One time CT massed and came to fally. I decided to have fun with them, and kept tanking them. Granted, in the end they did manage to kill me, but only because of two reasons: 1) their mages got lucky as [cabbage] and 2) lag fails, big time. EVERYONE was spamming "omfg bind" "sum1 bind" "omg". One of my funniest RS experiences ever, and it was well worth it. (Let's just say 92 mage + full tank makes it pretty hard to hit binds).

Solo PK, I stick to the classic PK credo that arm fights fail. It's pointless, because let's face it - anyone that refuses to noarm almost always safes when in arm, and even if they do - what are your chances of 20ing them, right after getting them down to that little hp? In noarms, I can hold my own fairly well (heck, I 16-16-16-16 ko'd earlier today lmfao, 3 arrows - baxe), but that's mostly because I noarm at the GE and Edgeville. I've noticed that def tends to reduce my opponent's chances of koing - they redbar me like 10 times before koing me.

I'll say this - if you become a range tank, the stat you're sacrificing is attack (keep it low; it should preferably be 60 when you max, especially in f2p), much like zerker pures sacrifice def. I can't comment on p2p range tanks, but that's what I can say about f2p range tanks. Also, I know I make it sound awesome, but for a range tank to effectively BH, you'd have to be maxed. And even now, when people go "omfg wtf is ur def?!@#" and I respond "My Defence level is 80." half of them book it to the safe zone.

Fighting at stacking distance is also EXTREMELY difficult, because if you are, you're fighting another ranger, who is also capable of stacking. Furthermore, if you're the one that moves 2 squares away, then it's a simple matter for them to hit 14, then pull 2h and ko you. Only do this if both you and your opponent have just 2h'd each other, you can click fast and accurately, and you don't lag.

Oh, the drop system was also discreetly updated - ~65% of your drop depends on what your opponent was carrying, ~35% is randomized based on how much you've lost since your last kill, EP, and the discrepancy in you and your opponent's cmb levels.

Also, some ideas for the PK dictionary - perhaps clan names? E.g. Scaprslayer members call Pr _____ to indicate a pile, The Last Pures call Tlp _____, etc. You may also want to include location abbreviations, FoG refers to Fist of Guthix, BH refers to the Wilderness volcano bank, Vc refers to Varrock church, Cd refers to the wildy chaos dwarves, etc.

d9f84e76d7.png

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide! First things first.

But I have one question, what do you do when your stacking didnt work? When you swapped from bow to r2h and that blow didnt kill your target?

Swap back to bow and try again, or keep whacking at him with r2h, or possibly even flee haha. I have no pk experience whatsoever, but this just sprung to mind :)

~ Beest

Why do we bake cookies, but cook bacon

99/99/80+ looking for monster hunting group

RS07: mb nb

impressive guide. Very nicely done and shows the effort you put forth to establish such a guide. I'm also working on a pure type account. Perhaps a Range 2her as well. Almost finishing my training, but I want to live the pking moments. After this I was planning to make a guide as well. Liked yours, but things could be done better (in my opinion). Other than that thought you did great!

impressive guide. Very nicely done and shows the effort you put forth to establish such a guide. I'm also working on a pure type account. Perhaps a Range 2her as well. Almost finishing my training, but I want to live the pking moments. After this I was planning to make a guide as well. Liked yours, but things could be done better (in my opinion). Other than that thought you did great!

Thanks! It's always nice to receive some kudos icon_e_biggrin.gif

Great guide! First things first.

But I have one question, what do you do when your stacking didnt work? When you swapped from bow to r2h and that blow didnt kill your target?

Swap back to bow and try again, or keep whacking at him with r2h, or possibly even flee haha. I have no pk experience whatsoever, but this just sprung to mind smile.gif

~ Beest

It all depends on two factors really: your max hit with 2H, and your opponents HP after hitting them with a 2H. Say your max hit with a 2H is 20, and you bow + 2H your opponent cutting them down to 4 HP. In that situation you'd want to keep your 2H equipped and hit them once more to try and KO, because the max they can heal their HP is 14 before you hit them again, which is not enough to withstand the possibility of you hitting a 19 or 20.

Therefore if your opponent's HP will be higher than your max hit after they eat, it's better to switch back to your bow and try to range 2H them again.

FMAsig.jpg

Great guide dude! Helped me get properly started on a range 2h pure :thumbsup:

One thing I thought of regarding money early on is the Stronghold of Security. I've done it with my level 3 with no food before I even started training and you get 10k. It's something I think everyone should do when starting out really, is there an easier 10k? lol.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Nice guide, but a few recomendations on the stats:If you are 99 str, get 51 atk. You don't level at all and can hit a bit more. Also I recomend 70 mage if you have the money so that you can use fire blast if needed. Also a "Maxed" r2h pure is level 72 with 97 hp(assuming no pray of def)

• 1 month later...

Great guide dude! Helped me get properly started on a range 2h pure icon_thumbs.gif

One thing I thought of regarding money early on is the Stronghold of Security. I've done it with my level 3 with no food before I even started training and you get 10k. It's something I think everyone should do when starting out really, is there an easier 10k? lol.

I'm glad my guide was helpful to you =D

Ahaha, I don't know how I forgot about the easy 10k the SoS provided- thanks a lot, I'll add it to the guide now.

Wonderful guide, I made a Range 2H pure after reading it. smile.gifeusa_clap.gif

That's excellent news! I hope you have a fun time massacring your opponents icon_e_smile.gif

This guide is pro imma make a range 2h when my p2p runs out biggrin.gif

Thanks! Maybe we'll have a little 1 on 1 sometime =P

Hi! Nice guide, but a few recomendations on the stats:If you are 99 str, get 51 atk. You don't level at all and can hit a bit more. Also I recomend 70 mage if you have the money so that you can use fire blast if needed. Also a "Maxed" r2h pure is level 72 with 97 hp(assuming no pray of def)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I disagree with getting 70 Magic. Magic as we all know is pretty, if not completely, useless in F2P PKing (unless there have been recent updates I'm unaware of that have made it a formidable style), therefore I don't recommend spending the hundreds of thousands it takes to get to 59 Magic (let alone 70 which would cost a fortune for F2P'ers).

FMAsig.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your symbols for less or equal to and greater then or equal too are somewhat confusing. I'd suggest using the standard convention of using <= and >= to symbolize that. Otherwise good guide!

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, its been years since ive been on Tip.it, made a range2h a few days ago, it currently has 41 range 5 attack, and 31 str. Origionaly it was just going to be a range pure, but reading this guide made me change my mind

This is a spectacular guide, and ive learned loads, thanks so much.

yoshimario.gif

Siggy updated (Aug 23, 2008 9:30 AM)

My Photobucket

• 1 month later...

As all the others said, this is a great guide. I have a range-2h pure, and after seeing a delay vid on youtube in which the delay was just amazing, I've been trying to figure it out. Having the reference of "when your bow drops to your side" should help me out if it works, and I want to try it soon.

Now, having said that, it's time to (as a fellow range-2her with many pure friends) drill some holes:

1. 44 prayer is always, ALWAYS, better than 31. Your main damage dealer is range (you use the 2h for 5 hits max all fight). Learning to prayer switch is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you intend to level prayer. Another option is 13 prayer. It only raises combat 1-2 levels and gives you 10% more strength, which can be a good 1-2 damage more. If you don't want to write a prayer switch section, I would be willing to write it for you, provided that you are still maintaining it.

2. With the release of the gravite 2h, players who know how to use f keys for switching can use it for KOes.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! I've finally gotten around to putting a PKing video up, so check it out! It can help you get an idea of how to do the delay switch and what Range 2H pking is all about (albeit, I'm not a perfect example in every fight).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7AabMtr2iU

Thanks again for all the support!

FMAsig.jpg

• 4 months later...

It has been awhile since I've updated this guide, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I do plan on returning to PKing once the old wildy + free trade returns on February 2nd. Since there will be changes to the wilderness not only in design but gameplay as well, I will be updating this guide to match the current state of the wilderness. If you guys have any suggestions as to what I should add to the guide, please don't hesistate to ask. Thanks again for your support, whether if it be you commenting, making suggestions or just acknowledging my guide by viewing it, I appreciate all of it.

On that note, feel free to view my 2nd PKing video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If85-EOyKO4

Thanks guys!

FMAsig.jpg

It has been awhile since I've updated this guide, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I do plan on returning to PKing once the old wildy + free trade returns on February 2nd. Since there will be changes to the wilderness not only in design but gameplay as well, I will be updating this guide to match the current state of the wilderness. If you guys have any suggestions as to what I should add to the guide, please don't hesistate to ask. Thanks again for your support, whether if it be you commenting, making suggestions or just acknowledging my guide by viewing it, I appreciate all of it.

On that note, feel free to view my 2nd PKing video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If85-EOyKO4

Thanks guys!

As I was thinking about making a range/2h this is good news.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mate

Spectacular guide, I was making a 1 Def Str pure , but thinking of switching to this.

Wondering, are you planning to update it with details about the new wilderness

And maybe a good guide on timing the switch between 2H and Bows?

Thanks mate

First off, I want to thank you for posting such a great guide! In fact, It actually inspired me to start my own 2H F2P PKer.

I just have a quick question. What would be a good, average leveled stats to start Pk'ing? Would this work out okay?

40 Attack (for rune 2H)

55 Strength

60 Range

thanks in advance :)

Hey Mate

Spectacular guide, I was making a 1 Def Str pure , but thinking of switching to this.

Wondering, are you planning to update it with details about the new wilderness

And maybe a good guide on timing the switch between 2H and Bows?

Thanks mate

Thanks for the encouraging comment :D I'm glad to hear my guide influenced you to choose the path of a Range 2Her.

Yes I am planning to update this guide based on the details of the "new wilderness". In fact, I'm planning to do a full revamp of this guide, not just in information, but aestehtics as well. Right now I'm busy with upcoming midterms and ensemble concerts, granting me very little time to work on the reconstruction of this guide. During my reading week (Feb. 21-24), you guys can expect something different, so keep your eyes on that update in the title ;)

First off, I want to thank you for posting such a great guide! In fact, It actually inspired me to start my own 2H F2P PKer.

I just have a quick question. What would be a good, average leveled stats to start Pk'ing? Would this work out okay?

40 Attack (for rune 2H)

55 Strength

60 Range

thanks in advance :)

Thank you, I appreciate the fact that you went through my guide and used the information to your benefit!

Those are definitely good stats to start PKing with. You're already at 40 Attack, so you just have to focus on raising your strength and range levels. Make sure you use the combat calculator whenever you feel like raising your strength level, to see what increase in skill(s) will make you level in combat.

FMAsig.jpg