Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Never Underestimate the value of the cent

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

gauper_kid
[ Display Name History ]

gauper_kid

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 631 posts

You win the thread.
Posted Image

ugafan_2009
[ Display Name History ]

ugafan_2009

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,519 posts
This video is spreading fast. I live like 30 minutes from where it was filmed and saw it with like 300 views. This is the second completely random board I've seen it on the past week
Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651
Posted Image

depresins
[ Display Name History ]

depresins

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:SoLawny
  • Clan:The Eclipse Project

You're an [wagon] you know that?

If they incovenience me by fining me for doing nothing wrong and the court system (As always) fails me, why the [bleep] shouldn't I inconvenience them? If I do something wrong and get caught legit, I cop it on the chin and bPay it straight away. If I get towed for overstaying the posted sign limit (4 hours) after being there less than 10 minutes, you're damn skippy I'm going to [bleep] with the council every way I can.

kingmickez25
[ Display Name History ]

kingmickez25

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:KingMickez25

Folks, even back in the 1970's, your BANK would not accept volumes of pennies from a business unless it was rolled. If you didn't roll it, you had to PAY the bank a FEE for them to count it (or possibly use a counting machine.) And this was even if you had an ACCOUNT there!

Just like ... oh wait ... just like the counting machines that are now available in some grocery stores!! :o

The purpose of the law about "legal tender" has to do with the fact that if people don't "believe" in our paper money and coinage, the system will fall apart. And the reason it requires belief is because the money isn't backed by gold, nor by silver, but by "the full faith and credit" of the US Government, lol.

This does NOT obligate businesses to take amounts they do not wish to take. Decades ago your local convenience store would not accept anything over $20 because kept no more than that in change in the register to try to discourage robberies. (Turned out that by the early 1980's there were idiots willing to kill just for that $17 in change, but who knew?)

Recognising money as legal tender does not obligate you to take it. It's good money, we just ain't takin' it. Now the clerk took an attitude right off, but from the sound of it I'm guessing that this guy had been there before.

I know of NO police station that would send out an officer or officers in order to settle something like this. No matter how quiet the town is, lol. And they definitely are not within their scope of business to "rule" on a point of law they are unfamiliar with. It's one thing to cite someone for drunk and disorderly under statute xx.y.aa - but citing federal law is something else.

After seeing the number of guys there, and the video camera, I'm betting the cops wanted to tell them to just get a life instead of pulling pranks like this, but were afraid of what might be done with the tape.

Ultimately, the woman didn't take the money because he was RIGHT - she took it because her boss decided it would be bad PR and could affect their contract with the city to tow cars. Since the video tape shows the address, their business will probably be negatively impacted anyway.

I also note that although they didn't show her face, these people taped her voice without her permission, which I'm pretty sure is a violation of federal law. Oh, the irony!! :lol:

Reading Your Post made My IQ higher

Irony would be if they had a coin counting machine

r4ngewarlord
[ Display Name History ]

r4ngewarlord

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • RSN:r4ngewarlord

Folks, even back in the 1970's, your BANK would not accept volumes of pennies from a business unless it was rolled. If you didn't roll it, you had to PAY the bank a FEE for them to count it (or possibly use a counting machine.) And this was even if you had an ACCOUNT there!

Just like ... oh wait ... just like the counting machines that are now available in some grocery stores!! :o

The purpose of the law about "legal tender" has to do with the fact that if people don't "believe" in our paper money and coinage, the system will fall apart. And the reason it requires belief is because the money isn't backed by gold, nor by silver, but by "the full faith and credit" of the US Government, lol.

This does NOT obligate businesses to take amounts they do not wish to take. Decades ago your local convenience store would not accept anything over $20 because kept no more than that in change in the register to try to discourage robberies. (Turned out that by the early 1980's there were idiots willing to kill just for that $17 in change, but who knew?)

Recognising money as legal tender does not obligate you to take it. It's good money, we just ain't takin' it. Now the clerk took an attitude right off, but from the sound of it I'm guessing that this guy had been there before.

I know of NO police station that would send out an officer or officers in order to settle something like this. No matter how quiet the town is, lol. And they definitely are not within their scope of business to "rule" on a point of law they are unfamiliar with. It's one thing to cite someone for drunk and disorderly under statute xx.y.aa - but citing federal law is something else.

After seeing the number of guys there, and the video camera, I'm betting the cops wanted to tell them to just get a life instead of pulling pranks like this, but were afraid of what might be done with the tape.

Ultimately, the woman didn't take the money because he was RIGHT - she took it because her boss decided it would be bad PR and could affect their contract with the city to tow cars. Since the video tape shows the address, their business will probably be negatively impacted anyway.

I also note that although they didn't show her face, these people taped her voice without her permission, which I'm pretty sure is a violation of federal law. Oh, the irony!! :lol:

i agree that post enlightened me for the better.
Posted Image
Gamertag: EFs Predator.
Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests
First of all...

You can figure out the exact number of pennies by finding the weight of one, finding the weight of them all and doing some divison.

Secondly...

It was not his choice to pay it. If it was in a grocery store, the cashier can deny the sale, for any reason. However, this guy is in debt, and has the means to legally pay it off. He has cleared his debt, so he is payed off. The law states that you must pay the fine. He has done that.

mister_moocky
[ Display Name History ]

mister_moocky

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,952 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:lMl MrMoocky
As I understand it, they did HAVE to take the pennies because (presumably) the ticket did not state that they didn't take pennies (or, that they don't take pennies over X ammount). Seeing as the terms were not in place when the debt was incurred, they legally had to take it. It seems stupid, but officers are meant to inforce laws, not logic.
quit

abbydog95
[ Display Name History ]

abbydog95

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:abbydog95
i would love to do this to someone that screwed me over, but it doesnt sound like the company screwed him over. The woman should have to take the money, heck money is money. Although taking the police away from something more important seemed kinda crappy...
Posted Image
PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

i_love_burritos
[ Display Name History ]

i_love_burritos

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,668 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

You sure about that ?

fenrir321
[ Display Name History ]

fenrir321

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Location:Either the Fishing Guild or Dalaran getting into pugs
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:zelda12346
  • RSN2:Menea Reuter
1. YES

2. No

3. We can, but it's like stealing monsters in runescape; it's rude but legal.
Posted Image

Nero
[ Display Name History ]

Nero

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,283 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I thought this thread was going to be about 50 cent.

Silvertear
[ Display Name History ]

Silvertear

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • RSN:Junction X

As I understand it, they did HAVE to take the pennies because (presumably) the ticket did not state that they didn't take pennies (or, that they don't take pennies over X ammount). Seeing as the terms were not in place when the debt was incurred, they legally had to take it. It seems stupid, but officers are meant to inforce laws, not logic.

No, this only applies to stores with a sign (or something similar) that states they will not accept "whatever". He is in debt, he is using legal currency, they have to take it.
Posted Image
Junction X | Back to Runescape after five years of inactivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users