Announcing our Final Trainees - One more to the list =D

das

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh at 10,000 postcount we should stop the "Troll General" thing and just give auto-custom ones.

For those into that kind of thing - more incentive to spam....

*Tries to hide poscount* :oops: :P

Yeah, but you are former staff - if I wasn't I doubt i'd be over 300 yet :P

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

tbh at 10,000 postcount we should stop the "Troll General" thing and just give auto-custom ones.

For those into that kind of thing - more incentive to spam....

I agree. I feel that custom ranks should be earned through rank contests. It just makes them all that more special.

And spammers get punished :roll: I didnt think of that.

Not really the thread though

I dont need a siggy no moar.

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

I just noticed something: Most of them are either 18 and below or only been here a year. :?

I'm neither, but now i feel like an odd one out ::'

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

I just noticed something: Most of them are either 18 and below or only been here a year. :?

There's nothing wrong with being 18 or below :P I was 15 when I joined the moderator team and I turned out okay. Maturity is not a number, it's a personality trait. There are plenty of people over 18 who are not suitable for a moderator position, and there are people under 18 who ARE suitable. It's how they act that matters, not the number behind it ;)

And we don't really have a "you have to have been registered for x amount of time" requirement. Nothing set in stone anyway. Obviously if you've been here for 6 months and have 2 posts, you won't be accepted since we can't fully evaluate you. When I was an admin and worked on the applications, at least, we mostly wanted candidates who had been on the forums for at least 6 months. I don't know if the current admins followed that same rule or not though. But what's important is activity, forum behavior and leadership skills.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Congratulations!

I could never handle being a mod, I like to relax and I know I'm a bad Influence :lol:

EDIT: I just noticed how majority of my friends here on tip.it are on staff ;-;

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

A year is a pretty long time IMO. Plenty to know who they are and whether they're active.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

A year is a pretty long time IMO. Plenty to know who they are and whether they're active.

I dunno a year seems like to little, but eh your rules.

94qbe.jpg

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

Being one of the guys reviewing all of the apps individually and then multiple times afterwards on the chosen trainees, they all deserve it.

We like to see 6 months+ on an account as we can start to get a grasp of posting style and how they react within the community.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

I have absolutely no influence on the mod trainees at all. =P

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

(Half-Week Grave Dig)

Being one of the guys reviewing all of the apps individually and then multiple times afterwards on the chosen trainees, they all deserve it.

We like to see 6 months+ on an account as we can start to get a grasp of posting style and how they react within the community.

Wait a minute, you review apps? You mean to tell me that they applied for this position? I though Mods were picked at random? Or maybe I misunderstood that word "apps".

94qbe.jpg

Wait a minute, you review apps? You mean to tell me that they applied for this position? I though Mods were picked at random? Or maybe I misunderstood that word "apps".

There was an announcement that Tip.It was looking for Moderators, where you could apply to become a moderator.

There was an announcement that Tip.It was looking for Moderators, where you could apply to become a moderator.

It ran for about 2 weeks. Sorry if you missed it. :-#

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Well moderators were never picked at RANDOM :lol: But as the posters above me have said, we have now had two instances where we opened up the moderator positions for application. We put up global announcements and if you were interested in the position, you could apply to be a moderator. The applications were thoroughly reviewed and the users announced in this thread were the ones chosen. The traditional method of choosing moderators and crew is through the current staff picking or nominating them.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Well moderators were never picked at RANDOM :lol: But as the posters above me have said, we have now had two instances where we opened up the moderator positions for application. We put up global announcements and if you were interested in the position, you could apply to be a moderator. The applications were thoroughly reviewed and the users announced in this thread were the ones chosen. The traditional method of choosing moderators and crew is through the current staff picking or nominating them.

If Mods are not picked at Random then this thread is lying and useless?? It clearly state the you cannot apply, it even bolds it. :?

94qbe.jpg

If Mods are not picked at Random then this thread is lying and useless??

I suggested an update here: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=804939 but nothing ever came of it.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

No thank you, I was just a little confused as how they applied.

Hmm I must have not seen the thread because a few days ago I was in New York (Greatest Summer vacation ever!!!) and only checked in once a week.

Sorry my mistake. :oops:

94qbe.jpg

If Mods are not picked at Random then this thread is lying and useless?? It clearly state the you cannot apply, it even bolds it. :?

You misunderstand me. Saying that moderators are picked at random implies that we go around picking.. well.. random users. Which we never did ;) That would mean that we chose users for no particular reason to be moderators and didn't even consider their post history, behavior, etc. The traditional way of choosing moderators is through the current staff happening across suitable candidates and nominating them. However, using the word "random" to describe this would be inaccurate.

In that particular sticky, we say that you cannot apply to be a staff member because we do not want users sending in applications whenever they want. You can only apply to be on staff at very specific times. In the history of Tip.it, we have only ever had TWO instances where you could apply to be a moderator. And for crew, we have only had one. If there is not a recruitment drive going on, then no, you cannot apply to be on staff. And we do not want users PMing admins with their applications on any day of the week.

Hope that makes sense :ohnoes:

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we've [TIF] has over half-a-dozen new Moderators, what's the need for :

So many ?

The utility of older and darker green moderators ?

Any other moderators in the next 10 years ?

The next moderator selection ?

Why not instead pick 2 or 3 at a time instead of, jump and how high backandforth ?

Or, like outlined, interal nominations by senior staff ?

Now that we've [TIF] has over half-a-dozen new Moderators, what's the need for :

So many ?

The utility of older and darker green moderators ?

Any other moderators in the next 10 years ?

The next moderator selection ?

Why not instead pick 2 or 3 at a time instead of, jump and how high backandforth ?

Or, like outlined, interal nominations by senior staff ?

1) It's best to have a lot of moderators so more likely than not the boards are covered pretty much 24/7. More coverage of the board should make it a better place for our users.

2) Global Moderators can moderate on all boards so in emergencies they can remove spam bot/spammer posts. etc if there are no local moderators on at the time. Super Moderators can also handle some bans and signature/avatar reports.

3) Moderators leave for various reasons from personal reasons to just not having enough free time any more.

4) See 3

5) It had been a while since we had any new moderators and we felt like there were certain times when there was a lack of moderators online.

6) This happened and still does happen, however we needed more than just a couple more people. On top of that Applications lets us see who is interested in the role and gives us a clearer picture of the user in question.

Okay thanks !

But why so many ? :cry:

Tripsis, if you see this, don't worry. :thumbup:

It's better to have "too many" moderators than not enough.

I don't even think we have too many at the moment, we have enough so that the board is a "safe" place for users to browse and also while not leaving too much stress on some moderators. It's much better to spread the work load out over more moderators than have only a few moderators doing everything (as has pretty much been the case in the past).