School

Pinkbullet3

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally depends on the type of physics.

I'm taking a dynamics course that is essentially applied calculus, but in high school everything was simplified (linear, constant acceleration, etc). Don't think I actually had to use real calculus at all during high school physics. Maybe for a few position/velocity/acceleration with respect to time questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else on these forums doing research?? I know warri0r was trying to way back when and probably got a spot [he was a smart dude that one], and I'm the only other person who I know has done/is doing research.

Anyways, it's all fun and games until you have to present in front of your lab. I'm now in a position where I need to know EVERYTHING about a single enzyme which sounds simple enough in theory but I've witnessed graduate students with 5x the knowledge I have get completely owned by the professor I'm working under. I think I was less stressed when I was chased through the city by 3 huge dudes (okay it was only for like 2 blocks but still).

Also, if anyone is interested in doing research (university) then I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. I've been through the hoops and back :mrgreen:

hiccup.png

I don't know how I feel about doing research.

I'd like to complete a master's degree eventually (in engineering) but I'm not sure if I want to do M. Eng. (coursework based, no research) or M.S (research/thesis based).

I'm doing fairly well in school, I just don't know if I can see myself doing independent research or not.

So I spent two months and a good portion of my own time reading Red Storm Rising as a school assignment. It took two months because it's 720+ pages long and small print, not something I can really do often, but I wanted to set a challenge for myself. I was pretty proud when I got the thing done in time.

Today I was told by the teacher that, because very few other students read the books they chose, we have to pick a new book and do a new report. Including me.

Because others didn't do their work, my effort was wasted. :wall:

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

So I spent two months and a good portion of my own time reading Red Storm Rising as a school assignment. It took two months because it's 720+ pages long and small print, not something I can really do often, but I wanted to set a challenge for myself. I was pretty proud when I got the thing done in time.

Today I was told by the teacher that, because very few other students read the books they chose, we have to pick a new book and do a new report. Including me.

You achieved your goal nonetheless. Congratulations :D

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Why would you have to do a new report? Why can't you just keep writing the one you did for that book if you haven't turned anything in yet?

That just seems like [developmentally delayed]ed teaching to me.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else on these forums doing research?? I know warri0r was trying to way back when and probably got a spot [he was a smart dude that one], and I'm the only other person who I know has done/is doing research.

Anyways, it's all fun and games until you have to present in front of your lab. I'm now in a position where I need to know EVERYTHING about a single enzyme which sounds simple enough in theory but I've witnessed graduate students with 5x the knowledge I have get completely owned by the professor I'm working under. I think I was less stressed when I was chased through the city by 3 huge dudes (okay it was only for like 2 blocks but still).

Also, if anyone is interested in doing research (university) then I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. I've been through the hoops and back :mrgreen:

I've done some research with the doppler effect in relationship to sound. Presenting in general is a headache as to how well it can be used.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

So I officially accepted to go to San Francisco State starting in the Fall :)

Just 30-something more days of high school! A week of that being "sitting-in-the-gym-doing-jack [cabbage] -while-underclassmen-do-state-testing". I've been able to get in a lot of Pokemon during school sice classes have become essentially nothing. Funny thing is in every class there's multiple people that playicon_thumbsu.gif

I've done some research with the doppler effect in relationship to sound. Presenting in general is a headache as to how well it can be used.

Presenting is one of the best parts of doing science research. I'm flying out to London in a few weeks for a conference and i'm looking foreward to the presentation above everything else.