Mother Gaia: An In-Depth Manual to Farming

Zaaps1

I probably missed it, but could you give me your average xp/run per tree run? I may begin doing this soon.

In addition, whilst is may cost more to protect some trees then it is statistically worth, you are also guaranteed of that 10% extra xp.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Standard run (of 7-8 minutes) gets 5 trees, 5 fruit trees, and 1 calquat. Easy to figure out from there, but with maples/palms it something like 80-90k.

You bring up a good point, I'm going to have to look deeper into that.

However, there is one familiar that is worth using (perhaps 2): The Giant Ent and the Wolpertinger. The Giant Ent increases bush, fruit tree, and cactus yields by 50%. The Wolpertinger doubles xp and yield of bushes.

Just so you know - the giant ent gives a 50% chance to double the yield.

Take the cactus for example, normally you get 3 spines but with the ent you can get anywhere between 3 - 6. So with each pick you have a 50% chance to get two instead of one.

sig1t.png

Thanks for mentioning that!

Although a 50% increase and a 50% to double mean the same average yield bonus.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic guide :) Your farming runs are very fast and efficient and really helped me out. One little critique though, thanks to the massive herblore update a while back, farmers no longer have to sacrifice great profits for better exp when doing higher level herbs, so you don't have to lock yourself into snapdragon herbs at higher levels.

For instance, assuming an average of 30 herbs per run, dwarf weed provides ~95-100k profit per run. You just gotta ask yourself if the extra ~35k you get from Snapdragon herbs is worth the half exp you get.

:thumbsup: Love the Guide ^^

I used to buy Rannars Only until i wudve had around 65-70 farming for the next seed(forgot the seed name xD)

Good Luck on your guide

P.S:I Love Farming tbh its a very relaxing skill, you just plant then get off and do sumthing else or skill something else(I usually went to try out new sigs) :twisted:

Sig-BlackOps-DjTeryaki.jpg

Thanks for your post Teryaki!

Thanks Mith, I'll need to look into that again.

@Hellstaf, hey!

Willows/Pineapples, as you've told me, are the cheapest reasonable option. As I stress in my guide, you want to look hard at gp/xp ratios. From 70 to 90, that is about 5m xp. How much are you willing to spend? Palms/Maples/Calquats is roughly 8-9gp/xp, so you are paying about 40-45m for that level. How much ARE you willing to spend? (Note your calculated cost will be significantly lower than your real cost due to profit from herb runs/bush runs.)

Thanks for your post Teryaki!

Thanks Mith, I'll need to look into that again.

@Hellstaf, hey!

Willows/Pineapples, as you've told me, are the cheapest reasonable option. As I stress in my guide, you want to look hard at gp/xp ratios. From 70 to 90, that is about 5m xp. How much are you willing to spend? Palms/Maples/Calquats is roughly 8-9gp/xp, so you are paying about 40-45m for that level. How much ARE you willing to spend? (Note your calculated cost will be significantly lower than your real cost due to profit from herb runs/bush runs.)

hey zaapi,

40-45m is okay when I want to train 70-90 farming, so i should plant than: dwarf weed, poison ivy, limpurt, calquat, maple- and palm trees. and so ill spend 40-45million on farming?

Correct, although I recommend marigolds > limps and the current best herb > dwarf weed.

Lovely guide.

Just like the tree calculator; below is a herb calcuator, http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Farming_herbs showing you the profit ect of each herb.

From what i can see right now, ranarr flogs out all of the other herbs. With over 40+ more gp/exp then others.

The caculator is a slightly different to your maths however though, as it's done with the average of 6, instead of 6.5.

Hope that helps ^_^

Lovely guide.

Just like the tree calculator; below is a herb calcuator, http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Farming_herbs showing you the profit ect of each herb.

From what i can see right now, ranarr flogs out all of the other herbs. With over 40+ more gp/exp then others.

The caculator is a slightly different to your maths however though, as it's done with the average of 6, instead of 6.5.

Hope that helps ^_^

RS Wiki's calculator isn't very good. Gp/xp is worthless (ranarr has a high gp/xp because it gives crappy xp) and 6 herbs is too low. That's why I made my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Tree is better off at Brim.

Hey! Good to see you :)

You replant calquats.

Use the 10% rule to determine if it's economically worth it. Then read the FAQ question addressing this issue and decide whether you agree or not.

Glad it helped! Thanks for you replies.

Idea that my (admittedly not overly rigorous) testing has supported: You shouldn't always plant the same herb in all 5 seed patches, but sometimes plant something different in My Arm's patch. It seems that each patch that lives produces 7 herbs on average, and the ~0.5 average difference between that and a normal herb patch means that a different herb might be more profitable. According to Troacctid's spreadsheet, right now it is best to plant Avantoe, assuming a 6.5 herb average. However, if the average was to be 7, then snapdragon would be the most profitable. Since My Arm's patch guarantees that a plant will live, it ups the average to 7, making snapdragon more profitable.

Has anyone else tested this more rigorously?

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Thanks for posting! I've discovered this as well and mathematically, it is better.

However, I cannot provide any personal experience, since I have always, and unconditionally farmed snapdragons since 62 (or 63? I forget). Snaps perhaps aren't mathematically the best herb, but I feel that in their risk vs reward ratio, their reward far outweighs the risks. After all, it only takes 2 extra snapdragons in a run to propel it to be far better than anything else. Of course, that comes with a huge risk.