Cigarettes

Powman3

I don't smoke and NEVER will, and if I do, which I WONT, come find me and shoot me in the face.
Yeah, my friend once told me he'll never smoke... and now he smokes...

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part a bout the Cigarettes thread that comes up every few months or so here is the 14 year old kids that love spewing health class lines about smoking as if they've even touched a real cigarette. Pathetic.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The best part a bout the Cigarettes thread that comes up every few months or so here is the 14 year old kids that love spewing health class lines about smoking as if they've even touched a real cigarette. Pathetic.

Haha, right. So only the people who have smoked cigarettes are graced with the knowledge of its medical detriments. Okay then, everyone light up your crack pipes!

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

The analogy I was making was not towards illegal street drugs, rather legal tobacco cigarettes. But it's okay, you can go ahead and slippery slope that.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The analogy I was making was not towards illegal street drugs, rather legal tobacco cigarettes. But it's okay, you can go ahead and slippery slope that.

Rather than addressing my counterargument, you address a problem you had with an humorous exclamatory I added at the end of it. Of course I can tell the difference between a cigarette and a crack pipe.

And again, people don't have to smoke a cigarette to know that its not a wise decision, nor should it be something people need to "try" before they can really know whether it's bad for them.

A counterargument isn't a counterargument if it commits the fallacy of Slippery Slope. It makes it invalid.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

A counterargument isn't a counterargument if it commits the fallacy of Slippery Slope. It makes it invalid.

If you really can't make sense of any of the coherent arguments I presented, then I don't know what much else I can do for you.

Next time you have no defense for your debate, just walk away. Putting up a wall and denying everything thrown at you just makes you look bad.

I'm not putting up a wall or being defensive. If you knew anything about counterarguments, you would know that they have to be VALID and any such argument which contains a fallacy of logical reasoning is INVALID. Since your argument commits the fallacy of Slippery Slope Reasoning, it cannot be addressed as a valid argument. Are you that dense? Jesus...

EDIT: Or maybe the fact that you threw in a ninja edit to try to cover yourself. Nice.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

If you interpret it in that sense, it seems that you are not seeing the counterargument I am presenting.

Your standards of validation seem along the lines of whether or not you have a defense for it or not.

My counterargument, copied and pasted from above (presented for the 3rd time):

People don't have to smoke a cigarette to know that it's not a wise decision, nor should it be something people need to "try" before they can really know whether it's bad for them.

Or maybe the fact that you threw in a ninja edit to try to cover yourself. Nice.

Lets try to keep this ideologically based. I did not edit anything, I simply added another sentence. Stop throwing punches mate.

Haha, right. So only the people who have smoked cigarettes are graced with the knowledge of its medical detriments. Okay then, everyone light up your crack pipes!

Yeah !

I mean no need for bongs. What are we, in the 14th century ?

Hell, all you freebasers - spoons at the ready !

If you interpret it in that sense, it seems that you are not seeing the counterargument I am presenting.

Your standards of validation seem along the lines of whether or not you have a defense for it or not.

My counterargument, copied and pasted from above (presented for the 3rd time):

People don't have to smoke a cigarette to know that it's not a wise decision, nor should it be something people need to "try" before they can really know whether it's bad for them.

Or maybe the fact that you threw in a ninja edit to try to cover yourself. Nice.

Lets try to keep this ideologically based. I did not edit anything, I simply added another sentence. Stop throwing punches mate.

Alright, denser than I previously thought.

They're not MY standards (although I do abide by them), they are the standards of Critical Reasoning across the planet. In case you don't really believe me: Non Causa Pro Causa Here comes the clue train, last stop: YOU! Wooo, wooo!

I'll address your "argument" for pity's sake, though. Your first "argument" was not that same as the one I am about to address.

My argument was not saying that people need to try cigarettes before they can judge whether or not they are unhealthy for you. What I was trying to point out is that children that come out of their health classes with a preconceived notion about what cigarettes are/will do to you are the ones that post strongly in this thread claiming cigarettes are the worst thing known to man instead of what they really are: a way to relieve stress and anxiety. There are plenty of things in the world that people consume on a daily basis that contribute to mass death (such as large quantities of food), but health teachers pound it into kids' heads that cigarettes are the worst thing you could do. I never claimed what your argument was challenging.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

My dad has been smoking for about 60 years :S. It nearly killed him about twice. He's 80 in September. Cigarettes are killing my father and raping my sister.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Cigarettes are killing my father and raping my sister.

What?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I'll address your "argument" for pity's sake, though.

You finally offer to explain yourself, and it's only because of pity? Not because of the fact that someone asked for an explanation through argument (multiple times)? Pity? Really?

My argument was not saying that people need to try cigarettes before they can judge whether or not they are unhealthy for you. What I was trying to point out is that children that come out of their health classes with a preconceived notion about what cigarettes are/will do to you are the ones that post strongly in this thread claiming cigarettes are the worst thing known to man instead of what they really are: a way to relieve stress and anxiety. There are plenty of things in the world that people consume on a daily basis that contribute to mass death (such as large quantities of food), but health teachers pound it into kids' heads that cigarettes are the worst thing you could do. I never claimed what your argument was challenging.

Okay, allow me to quote your original post in which I first presented my arguement: "14 year old kids that love spewing health class lines about smoking as if they've even touched a real cigarette. Pathetic."

This is where I then replied that what you learned in health class is not better understood once you smoke a cigarette yourself. You clearly said that "touching a real cigarette" gives someone some sort of credibility to present medical fact about cigarettes.

None of what you just said in your latest post had anything to do with your original argument, and of course I would agree that cigarettes aren't the worst thing in the world, are a way to relieve anxiety, and that they aren't the only thing that causes consumer-related deaths. None of that is objectionable.

The only thing I've disagreed with is your original post, and no matter how you try to mutate your argument, your original post is still there to validate my original counterargument.

Edit: yes I edit things a lot, mostly spelling and stuff after I press submit.

My argument was not saying that people need to try cigarettes before they can judge whether or not they are unhealthy for you.

Regardless of whether you've smoked or not - they are injurious to your health. Believe it even if a 14 year old tells it to you.

What I was trying to point out is that children that come out of their health classes with a preconceived notion about what cigarettes are/will do to you are the ones that post strongly in this thread claiming cigarettes are the worst thing known to man instead of what they really are: a way to relieve stress and anxiety.

Well there's heroin, opium, cocaine, PCP, LSD, Marijuana, Amphetamines, Barbiturates and MDMA. I'm pretty sure those relieve stress but I'm also quite sure that your average 14 year old haven't tried them. Have you ?

There are plenty of things in the world that people consume on a daily basis that contribute to mass death (such as large quantities of food), but health teachers pound it into kids' heads that cigarettes are the worst thing you could do.

Well food isn't too illicit. Nor does it have restrictions or tariffs or taxes. Sure, they may be not the worst thing - but there are more people smoking than those who do crack. So it makes more sense to teach them about cigarettes which they are much more likely to encounter. And smoking ciggarettes are the worst thing any "normal" person could inflict upon themselves.

It's true that it's hard to understand why anyone would smoke unless you're a smoker yourself. The benefits are only really obvious to those who have already broken through the disgusting first week or so of smoking and then reaped the tasty, tasty rewards. It's good that it's like that; it makes it easier for me to go on about how I love smoking without worrying that I'm influencing anyone too much.

Why do I love it? Many reasons. It's the ultimate in self medication, and it's ridiculously versatile. Can't sleep? Go for a smoke and you'll feel tired. Too sleepy? Go for a smoke and you'll wake up a bit. Hungry? A little cigarette will tide you over until you can get home. It'll make you hungry if you're full too. Quick short puffs will make you feel stimulated, deep and slow ones will relax you.

I couldn't be without cigarettes. Having a craving all the time keeps me ever so slightly mad, which fuels almost everything I do. Nicotine aids concentration and memory. I couldn't read or write as effectively if I didn't smoke, that's for sure.

If you care about your health, then of course you shouldn't smoke. But that's not the way I live my life.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but I personally get a nice kick from cigarettes. I only smoke about a pack a month, and a book I've read recently assured me that people who don't become addicted to smoking at a young age and can control their consummation levels will most likely never become addicted to cigarettes.

hiccup.png

It has been proven that tobacco has a greater physical harm than marijuana, LSD,and MDMA(ecstasty). Anways I don't smoke ciggarettes, I hate them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say tobacco causes more harm than E. I know some people that are straight up E-Tarded from rolling too much. Although it probably is true that it's less physically harming (lungs, mouth, etc.).

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

It has been proven that tobacco has a greater physical harm than marijuana, LSD,and MDMA(ecstasty). Anways I don't smoke ciggarettes, I hate them.

Actually pot is more harmful than cigarettes, but nobody smokes 20 joints a day. It's the volume of smoke that ends up killing people.

Cigarettes aren't healthy - it's just that a lot of people make them off to be a lot worse than they actually are because their sources are commercials instead of trying them firsthand and finding out how they really are. The media doesn't exaggerate how bad crack is on the same level as they do with cigs. It's okay to hate cigarettes but when people take it to an extreme level as if it's immoral or if it's something only [developmentally delayed]s do, then it's quite obvious what their sources are.

Well, you can say why it's wrong instead of just telling them it's a logical fallacy. Things do get pretty boring when debates just end up as: "Strawman." "Poisoning the well." "Cherry picking."

but I also love the smell of gasoline its weird but back on topic

Me too dude. :shock:

when i'm stressed, a hug from my mom usually does it, but smoking is just taking it to the extreme.

If that is the only thing you need to realive your stress then you and I have 2 different definitions of the word. I smoke on and off, mostly just a social smoker I guess, can't stand to drink alcohol without em'. Personally I don't find them addicting, but I also smoke Marijuana so that probobly keeps my mind occupied. Yes, they're nasty, yes they kill you, but yes they also can be an instant stress relief, like no other medicine.