Tip.it Times: 9 August 2009

Mirror

The famous staker was "Tainted Ones" if you were wondering. I was going to post the same thing you posted about him meaning the 2nd article.

Were they one of the founders for the Tainted Ones (old bug abuse clan)? I also really enjoy reading about bugs, or watching them. I've downloaded videos of people bug abusing, read the Tainted Ones history, etc.. I'm fascinated by the brilliance of bug abusers, because I don't think the right way to ever be one. I'd never bug abuse though, my account is far too valuable...

jmodresponse.th.png

^^ Spreadin' da wurd ^^

I'm old skool baby ;) *looks at join date*

Current amount of years playing Runescape: 5.5 On TIF: 5

About the DYK, it should be Scabarite, not Scarabite. Common misspelling.

It is acknowledged that the 'easiest' capes to buy are Fletching, Firemaking, and Cooking. Crafting comes along behind. (However, skills like woodcutting, fishing, mining, and thieving can't be bought - they require a genuine personal investment of time.)

Bull. Absolute bull. How do cooking, fletching, firemaking, cooking, and crafting not require a genuine personal investment of time? Bull! "Buying" firemaking with maples is slower than getting 99 thieving "genuinely." And another thing--why the negative tone? What's wrong with buying raw materials? Whoever wrote this apparently thinks that money comes out of nowhere and getting 99 in a skill is as easy as trading a few thousand logs or fish to a magical genie who will then present you with a lamp for 13m xp.

The nail on skilling's coffin was the GE (although most people erroneously assume it was the start of the problem). Formerly, rich skillers who disliked standing around Falador Park shouting "Selling weapon poison!" just kept their unalchable skill products (such as potions) in their banks. They had enough money that they didn't need to recover cash from these items. The GE ended that. Players dumped huge backlogs of finished products into the GE. Profits didn't really matter to them, because the stuff was just sitting in their bank anyway.

Unfortunately, it mattered to the rest of us. Years ago, level 60 weapon poison was sold for "big money". I couldn't wait to get there. By the time I did, it was worthless because higher poisons had been released. I struggled onward to reach level 81 herblore, painfully gathering herbs on my own (I hate combat), hoping to "get rich" from selling Saradomin Brews ... and by that time the toadflax and crushed nests were worth more than the potion. I don't bother to train herblore anymore - it's just a waste of money. So what if a new potion comes out? In no time it will be selling for less than the ingredients.

The Grand Exchange enables moneymaking more than any other update ever has. With the way trading has been streamlined, buying and selling have become as easy as teleporting to the GE and putting up an offer with just a few clicks. Before the Grand Exchange, buying or selling anything even a little obscure, like swamp tar, was an exercise in futility. Now, anonymous trading allows me to easily make money through activities I could never have done before, like making pizza or charging air orbs. Who would have been able to sell me thousands of uncharged orbs or plain pizza?

Even herblore wasn't entirely a wash. Buying herbs and vials and making unfinished potions can be an extremely lucrative way to make money because of how fast unf pots are to put together. Cleaning grimy herbs is still a perfectly viable way to train the skill at a profit.

Wow, you should write a Tip.It times. You are an excellent author, and you got your message across very clearly. I agree 100% with you. That is why it is perfectly fine for raw sharks to be worth more than cooked. (They also are used to make bunyip pouches, so they have even more demand than for cooking.)

Thank you for the compliment :-)

I just find it hard usually to find a subject that a) I'm interested enough about, and B) I know enough about to fill up an article without sounding like a complete amateur, and c) that hasn't already been done (properly) to death.

And yes, it is "perfectly fine", as soon as you start taking into account the missing element in the equation, the XP.

It's just that most people stare themselves blindly at the only trade item they are familiar with, money, and then find that there are anomalies in the system that they cannot explain. You'll find that if you let the RS economy orbit around XP, it'll fit most patterns much nicer.

To the exclusion of XP-less items that cannot be created or converted, the most famous example being the "rares", such as party hats. THEY follow a normal economy based on GP. So do most weapons that are "dropped" ingame. Normal supply-and-demand based on a monetary economy works pretty well for them.

It's like assuming the Earth is the center of the solar system. You'll find that most planets orbit Earth pretty nicely if you draw a solar system based on that premise, only at a certain point they make a little "looping", go back a bit (called a "retrograde" manoeuver or orbit), and then resume a normal orbit. This oddity could not be explained away until they changed the basic premise to "put the sun in the center".

PS: Another interesting point to ponder in the RS economy is the rampant inflation of a few years now, that has pretty much slowed. I suspect the reason for this is the 32bit cap on data, which effectively means nobody can have more than 2.147 billion GP (2,147,483,647) if it's a signed integer, otherwise it's 4.294 billion (4,294,967,295).

(Values based on 32 binary 1's next to each other and converted to decimal, with or without one bit reserved to indicate "sign", ie. "+" or "-").

Let's hope RS never goes 64 bit, because by the time THAT amount will be reached (and it's not double of 32bit) the economy will be down the toilet :-)

(In fact, 64bit signed would allow for up to 9 quintillion GP, or 9,223,372,036,854,775,807; unsigned it would be 18 quintillion, or 18,446,744,073,709,551,615).

i liked this article. it was O.K. up until the last few paragraphs, where everything was summed up into a very well displayed statement/rant. i've been saying this for quite some time. the only reason why any one would skill, is just for a quest, or a minigame. otherwise, there's no incentive, because quite honestly, i wouldn't even bother with the skill if it just costs money to level up, and the reward isn't at all- no pun intended- rewarding. quite the conundrum.

jagex made quite the cluster f*ck by making free trade go away, and i don't think they know it's full effects, and it's been out for a few years.

i just might **shiver** agree with those people that are predicting the end of runescape to be near, ongoing, or starting. but pessimism doesn't get us anywhere.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

i liked this article. it was O.K. up until the last few paragraphs, where everything was summed up into a very well displayed statement/rant. i've been saying this for quite some time. the only reason why any one would skill, is just for a quest, or a minigame. otherwise, there's no incentive, because quite honestly, i wouldn't even bother with the skill if it just costs money to level up, and the reward isn't at all- no pun intended- rewarding. quite the conundrum.

jagex made quite the cluster f*ck by making free trade go away, and i don't think they know it's full effects, and it's been out for a few years.

i just might **shiver** agree with those people that are predicting the end of runescape to be near, ongoing, or starting. but pessimism doesn't get us anywhere.

That's you.

Some people like to skill.

Some people might spend money on skills to put all skills in highscores. Because they want to try to keep all stats equal, or at least not have some skills lagging behind. Even when I was f2p, I trained firemaking and smithing even though I wasn't gaining money...although I collected my own materials, so in a way I didn't lose any.

And don't underestimate the motive of training for a minigame or a quest either.

And not all people play runescape in a purely economical fashion, otherwise they would realize the collecting your own materials does not mean you gain profit. Collect filled vials, ranarrs and snape grass yourself, put it together and you have profit? From a purely economical standpoint, only the collecting gains money, and once you start production you gain less money in exchange for spending more time. Yet some people do it anyways. Personally I don't mind it, as the illusion helps them train their skills.

Reading the second article, I started wondering about some things. Saying the macro's and RWT'ers had a big role in the economy is absolutely right.

I don't know if this is a possibility, but what if Jagex would create some sort of artificial input of widely used things that used to be a source for RWT'ers. I'm thinking of essence (both normal and pure), yew logs,raw lobsters and other fishies. Inputting an amount of these into the grand exchange would get prices down, but at the same time, there would be an outflow of cash, causing inflation to slow down/stop/revert. This as a measure to counteract the major input of cash from the new pking system.

A bad side I can see about this is pure skillers not being able to sell their raw materials at the prices they're at now.

I would like other ppls opinion about this as well, to see if i'm completely off.

First article was cool to read, because i haven't been playing long enough to have known all these bugs.

Also the DYK is interesting,bc the scabarites are usually a task i skip.

~Prozac~

That would be a change in skilling; now resource collecting skills are dead, instead of production skills.

I enjoyed both articles, although I would like a much more detailed version of the lesser known great bugs, including how they work. (For instance, I wonder how the BA runes collecting glitch worked. And as long as the glitch is fixed, there is no harm in telling us.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

the first article was quite intersting, but I'm sure theres so much unknown bugs to discover we need more than 1 article to cover them all...

I agree very much with the second article. that's exactly why I have more than 1900 total, 119 combat and still my only skillcape is the questcape. and herblore i train only by penguins. lol.

DYK is a thing i covered myself months ago, and most friends I've told them thought I was joking. maybe now they'll belive me and stop block this task #-o

want_a_box.png

Reading the second article, I started wondering about some things. Saying the macro's and RWT'ers had a big role in the economy is absolutely right.

I don't know if this is a possibility, but what if Jagex would create some sort of artificial input of widely used things that used to be a source for RWT'ers. I'm thinking of essence (both normal and pure), yew logs,raw lobsters and other fishies. Inputting an amount of these into the grand exchange would get prices down, but at the same time, there would be an outflow of cash, causing inflation to slow down/stop/revert. This as a measure to counteract the major input of cash from the new pking system.

A bad side I can see about this is pure skillers not being able to sell their raw materials at the prices they're at now.

I would like other ppls opinion about this as well, to see if i'm completely off.

First article was cool to read, because i haven't been playing long enough to have known all these bugs.

Also the DYK is interesting,bc the scabarites are usually a task i skip.

~Prozac~

That's a very interesting thought, and it would probably work, although i don't think it should. It would be possible to preserve the state of the game with cheaper materials and such but then where would it stop? The game should be allowed to run its course and although it might take a long time, eventually it will work itself out naturally.

They were both good articles, although i think he was being a bit too morbid about how skilling is dead. Herblore is dead - but no skill is as bad as herblore.

I despise scabarites too =P

The famous staker was "Tainted Ones" if you were wondering. I was going to post the same thing you posted about him meaning the 2nd article.

Were they one of the founders for the Tainted Ones (old bug abuse clan)? I also really enjoy reading about bugs, or watching them. I've downloaded videos of people bug abusing, read the Tainted Ones history, etc.. I'm fascinated by the brilliance of bug abusers, because I don't think the right way to ever be one. I'd never bug abuse though, my account is far too valuable...

The Tainted Ones were a fascinating bunch lol. They were a highly successful glitching group on RS. I saw this article and thought immediatley of them as many of these bugs can be attributed to them. I know a fair bit about them as when I used to play RS I was a moderator, and i played on a World (server) where they were particularly active, and I tended to bump into them alot (quite afew times in the act).

For example I happened to be around fishing in Catherby when they opened the Walk on Water (to the obelisk) glitch using cats and the agility obstacle. Also I was around when they smuggled GP into the mage training arena and cashed it in for Mage XP so they could instantly boost to 99 mage. And when i went on to investigate the Maul Glitch I recognised a fair few names of the offendors.

I spent a fair amount of time at the duelling arena, alching mainly, sometimes high staking, and I'd seen my fair share of glitching done there too. I once had one of them teleport out on a 5 mil stake aswell -.-.

Anyway through my regular encounters with them, i'd made afew friends amongst them. It was an odd little relationship; they knew I'd tolerate their low level glitching (appearance change lmao etc) but they knew i'd snap if i saw any malicious giltching.

We always found it fun deciding on the fine line.

They'd come and show me how they could change their base clothing and appearance or do funny emoticons around Yew Trees and such lol.

I was kind of two faced about it all; on one hand I had reached the required number of forum posts on the forums to spy on their planned glitches and then on the other hand i'd chat with them and have PKing trips with them. Some of them would also tip me off on members of the group which they did not like for other offences such as RWITing. It seemed to work in my favour :)

In the end, playing with glitchers is risky- some of the Tainted Ones who didn't like me so much, because I aided in the banning of their accounts or interfering with their glitches, came back to bite me...

I was cleverly keylogged by them, and Kudos to them i suppose for such an effort, and my account was stripped of 200m and its moderator status- and from there I gradually lost interest in RS altogether and stopped playing.

They've done some impressive stuff. But they are against the rules and dangerous.

I don't post much atall on these forums atall but thought this was worth posting XD This was kinda a summary of my major experience of glitching

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Article on Bugs and Glitches

Aww man you are missing the best ones!! Anybody remember the "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"? or the knife glitch (don't know too much about that one tbh)? I wish I still had pics but sadly they've been fried lol. And Jagex use to do these game wide messages when they banned somebody. Great Stuff!

Sublexation.gif 203934109074superballpwnage.gif

I remember when they first introduced the "infinite stock". There was a bug (which I admittingly used for a short while) that allowed you to buy unlimited gems from the gem store and sell them back as cut gems. They patched this after a day.

There is no way to make "Millions fast and easy"...

SO QUIT ASKING ABOUT IT!

Ah, the crazy world of Runescape, where not only do people willingly submit themselves to sweatshop working conditions (read: no bathroom breaks) for long periods of time, they actually pay top dollar for the experience at every opportunity to do so, lose money on the end results, and complain whenever it becomes easier.

The people who have been subjected the most to these inhumane practices are considered champions.

8f14270694.jpg

Nice stories. the first one was fun. I remember the glitch in duel arena where one person would watch a match on the railing leaning over and be challenged like that, and if they won, they stayed in that position. The player would hover around bent over, and combat with a 2 hand sowrd looked really funny since only the sword moved back and forth.

Another minor one was if someone followed you you could trick the game into making them start walking away from you.

As for the second article I agree. Herblore died. It isn't an easy skill either. I really despise the GE. Whenever I needed a quick tool like a hammer or bucket and I was out, I could ask and someone had it. Now people don't do that, they just stock up at the GE. I still keep several items at hand if needed. Prices are mad. I don't even cook fish anymore. I remember being f2p karjama fishing cooking on island, banking in faldor and repeating. This was because cooked lobsters were nearly double the price of raw! Now cooking is 100% pointless. Waste of time. Skill capes and GE combo was like a disaster. Also willow logs are worth less than oak and normal. Funny, people just find the quickest xp for the cape driving the prices into the dirt.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\