what do you think will happen in 2012?

SeanyTheSailor

Firstly, as for the mayan calendar, just because it ends on said day does not mean that's the end. maybe someone was simply too lazy to add yet another year....

With the amount of end of world scares we've had recently (6/6/06, LHC, even Obama becoming President of the US to an extent) that I am very quick to answer that it's a load of C-R-A-P. People seem to like to believe we're all going to die or something.

What a cheery bunch we are

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:twisted: Earth gets blown up to make way for a hyperspace highway.

*whistle* Who, me?

From a person who's read the book but yet to see the movie, please don't. This is a nerd joke that needs to stop, a complete corruption of something funny into something not.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Scientists has proof that we all die in 2012. So, what will I be doing 12/21/12? Laying on the ground dead. :(

Or mabye it's just bull crap they're advertising, just so Surplus stores get more cash. :wall:

I was watching Mythbusters on the discovery channel, and a commercial came on advertising how there is going to be extreme solar activities in 2012 or something. They were talking about how we have to continue the human race by saving ourselves. It had a website but I forget what it was. It's kind of weird that there was such a well done commercial about the world ending on the discovery channel (it wasn't for a show or anything).

I was watching Mythbusters on the discovery channel, and a commercial came on advertising how there is going to be extreme solar activities in 2012 or something. They were talking about how we have to continue the human race by saving ourselves. It had a website but I forget what it was. It's kind of weird that there was such a well done commercial about the world ending on the discovery channel (it wasn't for a show or anything).

Its advertisment for the movie 2012.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Its advertisment for the movie 2012.

Oh. I just found it was was the "IHC" (Institute for Human Continuity). It's a really clever advertisement, until you go to the actual website. It's way too obviously fake. There's a section to apply to be the new world leader after 2012.

theres alot more evidence then just the Mayan calendar...you must watch the documentary Nostradamus 2012....the world wont necessarily end but it will be a NEW day....

A new day?

By God!

A new day?! My god, man! That's revolutionary talk!

Maybe its the day sarcasm is banned. :cry:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Most people have heard that the world is supposedly going to end in 2012. I personally believe that we are gonna be fine, but I also think that there will be mass chaos due to people who think the world is really going to end. So my question to you is, what do you think is going to happen and what are you going to do about it?

People only believe this because that is when the (3th cycle of the Mayan calander ends. There is no evidence that the Mayans themselves believed the end of the world to occur after the calender ends. It's only conspiracy nuts that like to push this thing. The upcoming movie is just overkill. It looks terrible in my opinion.

Nothing is going to happen, but it is fun to entertain the thought of the Mayans being able to predict the end of the world. They did have one of the most accurate calender's ever created before modern technology.

*snip snip, cut cut*

I think the Mayans would have bought a new calender ;)

Doesn't our calender end on the 31st of December every year... So looks like there will be NO CALENDERS. OH SHI-! no calenders... How will we look at cute fluffy kittens :(

Luck be a Lady

I think that people will finally switch to fully 64-bit operating systems by that time. As for the whole doomsday scenario, I don't buy into it. It's just another day...not to mention, the Mayans actually celebrated this kind of occurrence; dunno why we should fear it... :?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

what will happen in 2012?

obamas presidency come to an end :thumbsup:

2013 buddy.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I'd say it will actually happen. Didn't the Mayans and the Scientists (don't quote me) predicted that there will be something happening that includes an eclipse with the center of the Milky Way and the sun. It's supposed to create a movement of the world's tectonic plates, causing massive earthquakes for a few hours, or just you feeling like your moving south for a couple of months.

I believe SOMETHING will happen, but I don't believe all of the human race will die.

22031_s.gif

I'd say it will actually happen. Didn't the Mayans and the Scientists (don't quote me) predicted that there will be something happening that includes an eclipse with the center of the Milky Way and the sun. It's supposed to create a movement of the world's tectonic plates, causing massive earthquakes for a few hours, or just you feeling like your moving south for a couple of months.

No because astronauts don't jiggle around when they're at their 180 degree angle of their orbit around the earth.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

No because astronauts don't jiggle around when they're at their 180 degree angle of their orbit around the earth.

OK then, let me paint another picture for ya.

The "Eclipse" will have the same effects on Earth's Land as the Moon has on our oceans, but bigger.

22031_s.gif

You'd think the sun would eclipse the center of the galaxy every year, atleast once, since we're circling the sun, eventually it's gonna be in between us and the center each year.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

You'd think the sun would eclipse the center of the galaxy every year, atleast once, since we're circling the sun, eventually it's gonna be in between us and the center each year.

You're forgetting how freaking HUGE the galaxy is. Remember, Galaxy =/= Solar System. Comparing our solar system to the Milky Way is akin to comparing a speck of sand to a beach. It makes perfect sense to me that it'd take a long [wagon] time for us to make a half-rotation that slowly.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

• 2 weeks later...

You're forgetting how freaking HUGE the galaxy is. Remember, Galaxy =/= Solar System. Comparing our solar system to the Milky Way is akin to comparing a speck of sand to a beach. It makes perfect sense to me that it'd take a long [wagon] time for us to make a half-rotation that slowly.

:-s I'm not sure what you're getting at. We get on the right side of the sun every year, so it happens every year. If you're going to take into account the 'wobble' of the solar system instead of being generally the same side, 2012 will be about 6 degrees off the centre region. It's not unusual. Besides, the precise location of the centre of our galaxy is unknown because it's flooded with light.

~ W ~

sigzi.png