The choice to choose a race in Runescape

Dire_Wolf

I was thinking how in Runescape everywhere i see human characters and how that is very plain and boring. It's best described as "not special". In WoW (I don't like/dislike or even played game) you could have difference races. I found that a bit interesting. I didn't play it but how did i know that? My brother played it and i observed.

Anyhow it was interesting to see a variety in characters. So why can't Runescape be like this?

I think personally it's a great idea. Races should be presented as addition to the player characters and not a skill itself, but it should grant you a ability of some kind depending on race you choose. Using quests to introduce races is very nice way if you ask me. It would be a major update but i think it would make the game alot more interesting.

Whether the races chosen should be permanent or not can be discussed, but why not?

What do you think about Runescape filled with races?

Also while were on choose a race below.

1: CHOOSE A RACE

Human, Elf, Dwarf, Avansie, Vampire, Werewolf, Fairy, Icyene, Orc

2: ABILITIES

These abilities are just suggestions of what the race advantages can be. I have no clue about all of them, but some i have ideas of how their ability can be.

[hide=Human]Barrows_Brothers_800x600.jpg

Ability to generate +1 more prayer points every minute.[/hide][hide=Fairy]fairies_800x600.jpg

Travel with Fairy magic without having staff equipped or standing on the circle![/hide][hide=Vampire]Drakan_Portrait.png

+1 more hitpoints regeneration per minute.[/hide][hide=Aviansie]aviansie89picvz9.png

Armadyl protection at Armadyl's elyrie.[/hide][hide=Elf]s320x240

Access to Prifddinas Crystal mine. Two crystal rocks and you rock respawn every hour.[/hide][hide=Dwarf]180px-Veldaban_concept.jpg

Be able to smith two new items on a anvil[/hide][hide=Werewolf]werewolf.gif

Ability to hit hit +2 more damage to your enemies.[/hide][hide=Icyene]Commander_Zilyana.PNG

Have a chance of a fast attack every minute. Example Godsword is very slow, as a Icyene you will have a chance of hitting as fast as a dart with a Godsword every minute.[/hide][hide=Orc]Ork.PNG

Bandos protection at Bandos stronghold[/hide]

Of course you could change races back, but i think it should cost you a good amount of GP every time you change (100,000 GP).

MY RACE

Human

Remember this is not a suggestion, but a discussion. The ideas i presented is things to help you imagen how it can be. My suggestions on the abilities is just my way of how it can be.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of runescape is not having races and fixed classes as such. Which makes it unique to the majority of MMOs

How is having ONLY human characters unique?

We might not have other races to choose as our character, but we do have the characters.

I personally don't think that new races would fit in Runescape at all...

But, anyway, no option to be a Dragonkin or Mahjarrat? :(

I guess i'll be a Werewolf or a Vampyre... Maybe an elf...

Icyenes ability should be something either smithing or prayer related. They were great smiths ( created Sara swords and Godswords =o), and they are Saradomin's favorite race.

thought of it but it might get too similar to others, although i'd be a vampire or an elf for sure.

Vampires could bat teleport places too o.o

Races of Runescape belongs to Jagex, and i don't see how it will get to similar like other games. Because there is tons of games with races, it's not "We started it first, so if you do it then you stole from us!".

As for bat teleport, Vampires can't teleport. Sure they can teleport into bats, but that would be pretty much it.

I personally don't think that new races would fit in Runescape at all...

But, anyway, no option to be a Dragonkin or Mahjarrat? :(

I guess i'll be a Werewolf or a Vampyre... Maybe an elf...

Icyenes ability should be something either smithing or prayer related. They were great smiths ( created Sara swords and Godswords =o), and they are Saradomin's favorite race.

I personally think it can work. Like i said, it would require alot work but when it's done it could be either:

1) A truly amazing update

2) A disapponting one

Hopefully Jagex will work well with it before they release it. When it comes to Icyene smithing, that seems right but we can agree Dwarfs are the true smithers. So therefor they should have that ability from my view.

Goblins: You can wear goblin armor :D

I'd say no. There are too many logistical problems: Why would a vampire do a quest in which you kill vampires? Why would an elf have to "earn" entrance into the elven lands? How could a werewolf wear Bandos armor? How could a dwarf do certain agility obstacles? There would have to be a huge overhaul of quests, armors, weapons, foods, and more if this were to be made; this could possibly make the "new" RuneScape unrecognizable to the current version.

Also, the ability to change races is a bad one (no offense intended). If you give werewolves +5 damage, every single pker will turn into a werewolf first. Access to race only areas would no longer be a unique aspect, for if one wished to enter them, they would change race to do so.

I'd choose to be a vampyre as long as I could bat teleport. (Similar animation to the Trick emote)

Vampires can't teleport, so i think it would be less realistic if you could do that. But hey Fairies can teleport :thumbup: Don't want to be a Fairy huh? :lol:

Goblins: You can wear goblin armor :D

I'd say no. There are too many logistical problems: Why would a vampire do a quest in which you kill vampires? Why would an elf have to "earn" entrance into the elven lands? How could a werewolf wear Bandos armor? How could a dwarf do certain agility obstacles? There would have to be a huge overhaul of quests, armors, weapons, foods, and more if this were to be made; this could possibly make the "new" RuneScape unrecognizable to the current version.

I didn't add Goblins because they are:

1) Ugly

2) Stupid

3) Most of them are weak

But i could add them i guess if that's your wish.

Also like i said it will be a big work, but the reward later will be worth it. It will make the game very nice. I can definitely see a Avansie wearing a Torag helm :thumbup:

Part of runescape is not having races and fixed classes as such. Which makes it unique to the majority of MMOs

I think this picture best describes the situation here.

[hide=]unique.jpg[/hide]

Sure this may not be like other mmos, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing :| . Of course there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it, the game works just fine as is. I think that adding more races, even if there were no special abilities tied to each (basically making the race choice aesthetic) would add a nice diversity to the game. One thing that would be weird is how armor and cloths work. Like would certain races not be able to wear cloths?

jpegsigtest.jpg

One thing that would be weird is how armor and cloths work. Like would certain races not be able to wear cloths?

No i think it's should be possible to wear whatever armor you wish to wear. Like someone and i myself have stated, it will be alot of work but great results once done.

Hey you just gave me another idea for Aviansies. Being a Aviansie will grant you Armadyl protection in GWD!

Isn't going to happen, because all the things happening in runescape are tied to a human, our character. It's the dominant race (well, not by power, mahjarrat, dragonkin etc are physically/magicely/... stronger).

Iycenes: they are destroyed, same applies to the avianteses.

Elves, they have a great storyline, but at the moment, the only accesible places for them are a forest with a camp and a little rebellion village.

Dwarves are also less prominent in the game, holding only 3 places with settlements (I think).

Vampyres are restricted to the east of the Salve river, they cannot cross it, or become severely weakened (Count Draynor anyone?) Same is restricted to the werewolves.

Fairies, to close, have only one place, Zanaris.

Well, what I'm trying to say: an update like this will never happen, Jagex chose to only give one race to the players, so the story is more consistent and more deeply. Also, things like armour and movement will have to completely redone just to let our character be another race.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd rather want to be an Iycene.

Gotta love demotivators :lol:

Now, if they did new races... and it was awesome...

They would have to make a COMPLETE OVERHAUL on Runescape, and change every single detail of it O_O

They would have to re-make all quests for each race, so that it fits them... for example, on elf series, you would be an Elf that lives in Lletlya and is working on getting to Kandarin to stop the mourners, instead of being a human going from Kandarin to Isafdar.

If you were a dorge-shuun goblin, you would have to break in to the Lumbridge Castle's basement, instead of being a human finding the hole the goblins did.

It would take years to make that update O_O

It would be Runescape 3 >.<

To be honest, they could still do the race thing but only make elf, Icyene, and vampyre as alternatives, since they're humanoid. That would help prevent any drastic changes to movement and such. For example, to become a vampyre, you could simply just get bitten by Malak. To become human again, you could just find a priest that can "heal" you and purify your body of all evil.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Isn't going to happen, because all the things happening in runescape are tied to a human, our character. It's the dominant race (well, not by power, mahjarrat, dragonkin etc are physically/magicely/... stronger).

Iycenes: they are destroyed, same applies to the avianteses.

Elves, they have a great storyline, but at the moment, the only accesible places for them are a forest with a camp and a little rebellion village.

Dwarves are also less prominent in the game, holding only 3 places with settlements (I think).

Vampyres are restricted to the east of the Salve river, they cannot cross it, or become severely weakened (Count Draynor anyone?) Same is restricted to the werewolves.

Fairies, to close, have only one place, Zanaris.

Well, what I'm trying to say: an update like this will never happen, Jagex chose to only give one race to the players, so the story is more consistent and more deeply. Also, things like armour and movement will have to completely redone just to let our character be another race.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd rather want to be an Iycene.

Yes things are tied to our only character race - humankind. But if Jagex planned human to be only player character in beginning they definitely might have other thoughts now. Races amount should not have anything to do with players using Races.

If you choose to be a Avansie you should be able to go everywhere. It's not like "Oh i am a Aviansie, i can't go Varrock. I gotta go to Armadyl elyrie..."

Races implemented into Runescape could be possible. I can't say for sure it will because the technology could get in the way.

You tell me how an aviansie trains agility...

I have no idea, but how about:

1) A Aviansie course

2) You pay money to turn back into a Human and you level agility

Gotta love demotivators :lol:

Now, if they did new races... and it was awesome...

They would have to make a COMPLETE OVERHAUL on Runescape, and change every single detail of it O_O

They would have to re-make all quests for each race, so that it fits them... for example, on elf series, you would be an Elf that lives in Lletlya and is working on getting to Kandarin to stop the mourners, instead of being a human going from Kandarin to Isafdar.

If you were a dorge-shuun goblin, you would have to break in to the Lumbridge Castle's basement, instead of being a human finding the hole the goblins did.

It would take years to make that update O_O

It would be Runescape 3 >.<

Good point, but possible to put few races into game or they can do it like the White knight quest (Don't remember the name):

Where we had to change into a female to do the quest.

They can do same thing with Quests, you have to be a Human to be do this and that quest..

To be honest, they could still do the race thing but only make elf, Icyene, and vampyre as alternatives, since they're humanoid. That would help prevent any drastic changes to movement and such. For example, to become a vampyre, you could simply just get bitten by Malak. To become human again, you could just find a priest that can "heal" you and purify your body of all evil.

Yeah that sounds goods.

Eh why cant vampires teleport, it's a game afterall and I want mah bat teleport!

It could also bring in new stats wise such as dwarves higher defence, yet slower mobility and slower hit speeds, where as elves are more nimble but easier to kill.

Vampires regenerate hitpoints quicker and grow in power overtime, being stuck with a race wouldn't be fun though.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Eh why cant vampires teleport, it's a game afterall and I want mah bat teleport!

It could also bring in new stats wise such as dwarves higher defence, yet slower mobility and slower hit speeds, where as elves are more nimble but easier to kill.

Vampires regenerate hitpoints quicker and grow in power overtime, being stuck with a race wouldn't be fun though.

Don't worry you can change back to a other race for a good amount (100,000 GP is OK if you ask me). Also reason i say it wouldn't be much realistic because if there is not realistic we could end up having a tomato as our character lol.

Don't worry you can change back to a other race for a good amount (100,000 GP is OK if you ask me).

I still don't see it happening, games been going on too long like this for it to change its basics, if it was meant to be it would have been there since the start, I however wouldnt mind starting classes such as adventurer miner readded.

I still don't see it happening, games been going on too long like this for it to change its basics, if it was meant to be it would have been there since the start, I however wouldnt mind starting classes such as adventurer miner readded.

Vampires and Elfs have humnoid forms, so how can even that not be possible?

Avainsie ability = Can only be ranged during combat.

ANd i think it'd be pretty funny to see a avainsie or icyene in full dragon or full bandos lol

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

It'd need massive amounts of attention, new tutorials the elves couldnt start at lumby, nor could the dwarves and so on, although yes I would love to see say a vampire typed tutorial and player owned housing relating to the races you are say a crypt instead of a bed, or for elves a crystal chime bowl instead of the demon lecterns, just saying that If Jagex intended starting races it might have been done years and years ago.

I'm sure they concidered the approach but it might make it a little complex, it'd probably change deeper parts of games such as the combat triangles, areas etc.

Have to weigh the pros against the cons, is the time taken to do this really worth it, maybe so but I wouldn't really notice if it was never released.

Avainsie ability = Can only be ranged during combat.

ANd i think it'd be pretty funny to see a avainsie or icyene in full dragon or full bandos lol

Not hard for me to imagen a Avansie in full Bandos. But you gotta be aware that races could have restrictions and that could make it easier to implant them into game.

It'd need massive amounts of attention, new tutorials the elves couldnt start at lumby, nor could the dwarves and so on, although yes I would love to see say a vampire typed tutorial and player owned housing relating to the races you are say a crypt instead of a bed, or for elves a crystal chime bowl instead of the demon lecterns, just saying that If Jagex intended starting races it might have been done years and years ago.

I'm sure they concidered the approach but it might make it a little complex, it'd probably change deeper parts of games such as the combat triangles, areas etc.

Have to weigh the pros against the cons, is the time taken to do this really worth it, maybe so but I wouldn't really notice if it was never released.

Yeah i get that. But all i am saying, if it's possible then they should try to work on that once they can. Would be a great update for sure.

Although i do agree that it's unlikely to happen, we honestly never know what is in store for runescape. I remember yelling at people a few years back for saying jagex would come out with a dragon plate and claws. Look at some of the bigger changes to runescape. I never saw trade updates coming, the grand exchange, summoning, or many of the pking updates. So just because something is highly unlikely, doesn't mean we should be too closed minded towards the idea just yet ;)

jpegsigtest.jpg