[Special Edition] Tip.It Times: 16 Aug 2009 - Quests!

n_odie

All very well written and definitely worth the time spend reading them.

Maybe on the next special edition add some more variety on the content though.

Once upon a Time... started of different to the others, but became more like Tying Up Loose Ends then was needed.

The Underlying Reward could have done with merging the first to paragraphs and cutting it down a tad allowing room to give more information about the impact of the quest rewards.

All good none the less.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

These articles, all of them, takes up some very good points. I like that they point out that there is way to much focus on the rewards and that a quest doesn't need to be bad just because the reward isn't that great. I also agree much with that Jagex needs to work more on their unfinished storylines.

The first question when a new quest is released is very often "What is the reward?". Depending on the answer players either lose interest or decide to start it. If the reward is good the player will work hard to complete it, often not caring about what he or she really does and just focusing on them self getting the reward. This leads to that the player misses a lot of the fun within the quest. Which is very sad since RS is actually about having just that.

I have myself focused on rewards to much. I will admit that. I don't always play for fun either since I'm a bit addicted to the game. However I try to change and I think that I have become much better at this.

Jagex also got something to work on when it comes to quests. As I said before many quest storylines are unfinished. I think that Jagex should work harder on finishing these quest series, perhaps releasing new parts to these quest storylines two out of three times they release a quest. Because quests are a big part of this game and all these unfinished quest storylines isn't good for the game.

We, both Jagex and we players, should work harder to take good care of the quests within the game. For all our own best.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

All four were well written and educated articles, I really enjoyed it. I think instead of doing this twice a year you could do it 4 times a year, there are certainly a lot of topics that would be interesting to hear different viewpoints on.

In regards to this:

At the moment there are dozens of areas and storylines that are simply unfinished, with no new updates on the horizon.

I have trouble thinking of quest lines that don't have new updates on the horizon. New installments of Elemental Workshop, Plague City, Red Axe, Myreque, Mahjarrat, Fremennik, and Fairy Tale are all known to be in development. And all the new quests this year (except In Pyre Need, which was a holdout from last year, and is more of a D&D than a quest anyway) have contributed to existing storylines, even if only tying up a few little loose ends like curing King Vargas's curse or finding out what's in the mumbling bonesack. So I think Jagex is going in the right direction.

Quite a few aren't in development. Plauge City doesn't have one any time soon. I know people think it is, but it's not. The Pirate/Rabid Jack isn't in dvelopment. Penguin just had one, so it's on backburner for a bit. The desert stuff looks kinda soft. Unless tied into Mahjarrat, which is may a little, but I doubt it. Still can't get into Menaphos. Lunar Isle looks like it had more coming, but doesn't look like anytime soon. Elemental Workshop? Maybe, but I haven't heard anyone from Jagex even mention it, let alone them say they are developing it. Aprosandra, only if it's tied into the dwarves would this be considered devloped. Oh yeah, still no Archeron, or however it's spelled. The History line. Slug got tied into penguins, so they have been merged.

I don't know if it's technically a quest line, but I really want a new troll quest.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

In regards to this:

At the moment there are dozens of areas and storylines that are simply unfinished, with no new updates on the horizon.

I have trouble thinking of quest lines that don't have new updates on the horizon. New installments of Elemental Workshop, Plague City, Red Axe, Myreque, Mahjarrat, Fremennik, and Fairy Tale are all known to be in development. And all the new quests this year (except In Pyre Need, which was a holdout from last year, and is more of a D&D than a quest anyway) have contributed to existing storylines, even if only tying up a few little loose ends like curing King Vargas's curse or finding out what's in the mumbling bonesack. So I think Jagex is going in the right direction.

Quite a few aren't in development. Plauge City doesn't have one any time soon. I know people think it is, but it's not. The Pirate/Rabid Jack isn't in dvelopment. Penguin just had one, so it's on backburner for a bit. The desert stuff looks kinda soft. Unless tied into Mahjarrat, which is may a little, but I doubt it. Still can't get into Menaphos. Lunar Isle looks like it had more coming, but doesn't look like anytime soon. Elemental Workshop? Maybe, but I haven't heard anyone from Jagex even mention it, let alone them say they are developing it. Aprosandra, only if it's tied into the dwarves would this be considered devloped. Oh yeah, still no Archeron, or however it's spelled. The History line. Slug got tied into penguins, so they have been merged.

I don't know if it's technically a quest line, but I really want a new troll quest.

Actually, find the chaos elemental suitcase thread, you'll read there many quests are coming soon, one of them being plague city, elemental workshop, red axe and fairytale installments coming soon.

In regards to this:

Oh yes. Menaphos, penguins, pirates, Arposandra.

If you haven't been following the chaos elemental's clues, though:

boardl.jpg

[hide=Explanation]

• [*:2xc2c6g8]The punchline to the peanut joke is "It was assaulted." That section is about Barbarian Assault. Postie Pete also mentioned that the suitcase smelled like Dagganoths, so some sort of Fremennik update, which could be a new Fremennik quest.

[*:2xc2c6g8]The GE order form contains pairs of words that are missing their partner. The missing words are "Red Axe Chaos Dwarf Machine."

[*:2xc2c6g8]The "Mentor a Bandwagon" is an acronym for "Rag and Bone Man Two," quest No. 156

[*:2xc2c6g8]"Hardens South" is an acronym for "Use shorthand," and the note is written in shorthand by Zimberfizz warning us about Nomad. Speculation is that Nomad is a mahjarrat in disguise or something, and that this ties into Mysteries of the Mahjarrat.

[*:2xc2c6g8]The "Breakfast" note contain elements whose atomic symbols spell out "Workshop." The morse code means "3." Elemental Workshop 3.

[*:2xc2c6g8]The boxes are a map of the Temple of Light. It means the next Plague City quest is in the blue boxes stage of development.

[*:2xc2c6g8]The list of rock stars contains letters that spell "Mining" and "Fishing."

[/hide]

So yeah. At the very least we have Elemental Workshop and Plague City sequels in the works. We have Fairy Tale and Red Axe confirmed in dev blogs. Mysteries of the Mahjarrat has pretty clearly been planned out start-to-finish and is being released in chapters. And the Myreque quest was confirmed in the last Chaos Elemental hint. (Keys are to the left of Mr E, Utrwir Wirdy, remember?) And who knows what else they're working on that we don't know about?

I know of the Fairy tale and Red axe ones being worked out obviously since they have diaries. Also, the last Chaos Elemental mentioned a Myreque quest, that never came, along with the fairy, that has yet to come. So, if these follow that same pattern, and the fairy tale and Myreque come out before them, then red axe and fairy tale will be around Winter, with workshop and Elves around 2010. Oh joy.

-edit- God how I miss the BTS. :cry:

Im not too big on quests, but the most memorable moments I had while questing was talking and listening to the captured gnome pilots in the jail during "Monkey Madness." Man those gnomes were halarious and I owe them my sanity after getting captured countless times. I think Jagex put them there to lessen the chances of the Jagex H.Q. getting firebombed.

One thing that I enjoy the most is the lighthearted and sarcastic humor you find EVERYWHERE in Runescape. Everything from telling Nomad the Soulwars mage that " I need to leave, I think I left my house on fire," after hearing his maniacal cackling; to NPC's reminding you that you are playing a video game, I have to commend Jagex for keeping it funny. Far too many things to list here!

thenewsiglw3.png

all 4 were great reads imo... i hope we get some of thease unfinished quest some more sequals... dont really want them to end but i want to do mroe of it... i just pray that nothing like mep2 hand holds ever come along... that was far from fun it was shear annoyance and nothing but it

dj_phox.png

Nice timing for a bunch of quest related articles since I just got my quest cape. Overall my favorite quest is probably The Eyes of Glouphrie. It's not very long but It contains so much of the history of the gnomes and a fun puzzle too. Also, I find the reward extremely useful.

elapid66.png

99 range 6.12.09 / quest cape 8.16.09 / 99 construction 2.17.10

Hello everybody!

This is my very first post on the forums here, and I hope many more will come in the future.

I just wanted to say that I sincerely enjoyed reading "The Big Adventure". I feel that it perfectly articulated how I felt about doing quests in the game. Although some of them can be extremely frustrating, I love how they take us on a fantastical journey.

I give the article two thumbs up! :thumbsup:

On a side note, the article made me think about which quest was my favorite. Although I have not completed all of the quests in Runescape yet, I feel that my favorite quest so far is Cold War.

Those darn penguins! XD

Welcome to Tip.It, and thank you so much for the positive remarks! I do hope you will stick around and that we will see more posts from you, even if it's to bash any future articles I may write. ;)

rssig2.png

Why do I play, hmm? Why indeed. I'm easily bored, I find no challenge, there are no redeeming values to RuneScape... Yet, I find myself playing a bit at a time, perhaps due to the social aspects of the game, of course compared to Xbox LIVE, where players are either obnoxious, or don't talk at all. It pains me to see how many people, though, play RuneScape simply to grind at skill levels all day. An example being this particular thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=801995, in which a player goes on to tell us that he's endangering his own health in order to train prayer in f2p, using that as a vice to persuade the audience. It's not heartbreaking, it's just pathetic sometimes.

Over the next few months the world expanded, and with that expansion came more quests. It was on August 27th, 2002, that Jagex released the Plague City quest, in which players were sent inside the walls of plague-stricken West Ardougne to find Elena, a young woman who was working with victims of the plague. The quest was unique for Runescape standards, in that finishing the quest seemed to reward players with more questions than answers. Six more parts would be released over the next three years, along with several side quests. However, we haven't had a new elf-related quest since October of 2005 and there are no signs of more elf-related quests being developed.

There is no 7 main Plague City quests. Only 6 (change "six more parts" to "five more parts"). You might be mistaking Roving Elves as a Plague quest, but it is actually the sequel of Waterfall Quest.

The relationship between Roving Elves and the current Plague City quests is just the area, the elven race and some characters. The storyline is, however, different from the Plague line (RE doesn't continue Regicide and MEP1 doesn't continue RE), which makes Roving Elves a side quest.

Over the next few months the world expanded, and with that expansion came more quests. It was on August 27th, 2002, that Jagex released the Plague City quest, in which players were sent inside the walls of plague-stricken West Ardougne to find Elena, a young woman who was working with victims of the plague. The quest was unique for Runescape standards, in that finishing the quest seemed to reward players with more questions than answers. Six more parts would be released over the next three years, along with several side quests. However, we haven't had a new elf-related quest since October of 2005 and there are no signs of more elf-related quests being developed.

There is no 7 main Plague City quests. Only 6 (change "six more parts" to "five more parts"). You might be mistaking Roving Elves as a Plague quest, but it is actually the sequel of Waterfall Quest.

The relationship between Roving Elves and the current Plague City quests is just the area, the elven race and some characters. The storyline is, however, different from the Plague line (RE doesn't continue Regicide and MEP1 doesn't continue RE), which makes Roving Elves a side quest.

Well, seeing as Roving Elves is required for Mourning's End Part 1, I think it's reasonable to include it, as it isn't optional like the incredibly lame Catapult Construction.

I hate quests.

In the last 4 days I went from 176 questpoints to 252 questpoints. I had set my mind on tormented demons. I'm still not there. But it is the only reason I am doing the quests.

After doing so many in such a short timespan I still hate quests. Not a single quest has changed my mind. The nicest one was "in pyre need", because it was so short. "Meeting history" was interesting somewhat. There was some interesting information in it on the early days of runescape.

Some are slightly interesting, mostly they are just pointlessly running back and forth.

The quests that provide the items needed during the quest are slightly more tolerable than those that do not.

I did level 20 levels or so in those 4 days of questing. That was nice Simply by applying the experience books and lamps to skills I don't like.

I still have some quests to go before I reach 275. And I am not sure I have enough energy left.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I enjoy quests and i also enjoyed reading all the articles.

I do agree that they should finish the quest lines before starting new ones, as its quite fustrating to get half way through a quest line and find that they haven't made the next one.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Well, seeing as Roving Elves is required for Mourning's End Part 1, I think it's reasonable to include it, as it isn't optional like the incredibly lame Catapult Construction.

Being a requirement doesn't make it a part of the same series. Only the actual storyline matters. While Guthix Sleeps requires MEP2 but their storylines are unrelated.

Most likely Catapult Construction is required in the next quest.

If you want to include Roving Elves to the Plague series, you'll also have to include Waterfall and Sheep Herder.

I hate quests.

In the last 4 days I went from 176 questpoints to 252 questpoints. I had set my mind on tormented demons. I'm still not there. But it is the only reason I am doing the quests.

After doing so many in such a short timespan I still hate quests. Not a single quest has changed my mind. The nicest one was "in pyre need", because it was so short. "Meeting history" was interesting somewhat. There was some interesting information in it on the early days of runescape.

Some are slightly interesting, mostly they are just pointlessly running back and forth.

The quests that provide the items needed during the quest are slightly more tolerable than those that do not.

I did level 20 levels or so in those 4 days of questing. That was nice Simply by applying the experience books and lamps to skills I don't like.

I still have some quests to go before I reach 275. And I am not sure I have enough energy left.

Lol. I'm not surprised, I would hate quests if I had to do that many in a short period of time. Even though I love quests atm and my quest cape.

You should probably work on like one quest a day or something. Or come up with shorter goals.

I had more to say, but after reading a few pages of posts I forget know...

Uh, except that Jagex has recently started to continue old quest storylines instead of working on old ones. Part of that is that it's update year, and they're updating old quests, but I think Jagex is going to continue uh, continuing storyline for us.

I really want another WGS type reward to come out though LOL. Because I want more money and summon exp >_<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I noticed one little real problem while doing quests. They generate 'junk'. Many quests give some kind of weapon, necklace etc that can be equipped. It seriously threatens my bank.

And then there are the myriad of quest items you need for future quests. Luckily some can be easily obtained, but some not.

I already had to destroy my outfits again (only low level in construction), because I was running out of bank space to make space for quest items. And then there is a the temporary need for bank space because quests constantly demand the same set of items.

Doing fine btw. 261 quest points at the moment. Holiday is over. I am going to take it down a notch and do a quest once in a while till I can do tormented demons.

I guess I can organize my bank again once I have done all quests, or at least tormented demons, but still. Jagex shouldn't create game junk without increasing the bank space.

and on a side note;

I was just wondering if they couldn't just create a bottomless pit where you could dump your junk that clutters the bank (quest reward ;) ) and where you can put in, and retrieve an item by doing some kind of minigame.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I'd say limit your questing time to half of your playable time during the day, at a max of 4 hours. I can understnd the frustration of spending hours doing quests, and not having gained many levels against the exp you could've gotten spending that time training a skill.

I just got my quest cape after about 3 weeks of non-stop questing. Did them all alphabetically and I had probably 80% of the list to do. I just decided that I wanted to do them all haha. It was pretty fun and I enjoyed how a lot of the storylines are tied together.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I just got my quest cape after about 3 weeks of non-stop questing. Did them all alphabetically and I had probably 80% of the list to do. I just decided that I wanted to do them all haha. It was pretty fun and I enjoyed how a lot of the storylines are tied together.

From that perspective it is probably better to do them in a relatively short time period. Also I can currently know where to find several NPCs without having to look them up.

I did get re-acquainted with the world of runescape doing so many quests in a short time period.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png