Locations of the Earth.

forestfrolic

You know what is great about the internet? The cultural diversity that exists. You know what is great about forums like this? Cultures congregate and co-exist, often without realising it.

I've always been interested in learning about all the places that I have not seen in the world. And I don't mean going to Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower. I mean the people and the landscape.

Often I see people on here who are from the UK, and I get the urge to just message them saying, "What is your life like? What is like where you live?" But I've never done this, because I think it might be kind of weird, and a bit intrusive. That's when I got the idea of creating a thread. Here I want you to talk about where you live. What you love and hate about it, the weather, the people, and anything else. And here we can learn and discuss about different places and cultures that our world has to offer.

Be more specific about your location than country, because there are many people from your country most likely. But please don't tell very personal information, so let's keep it to city. Also, be respectful. Patriotism and blind generalizations of cultures creates conflict. Let's be open minded.

So for me, I live in New Jersey, United States. During the winter it gets down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but it is usually around freezing which is 32 degrees. During the summer it can get as hot as 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but the average is around 80 degrees I would say. Compared to the rest of the country, our weather is pretty mild in both extremes which is nice. In my neighborhood, there are a lot of forests and hills. Also farming is very big here. There are no businesses in my town, just neighborhoods, so the local popular town is fifteen minutes away (driving). In that town there are stores like Walmart, Target, Shoprite, Home Depot, along with fast food restaurants, and locally owned stores and restaurants. I really enjoy New Jersey, but I wouldn't mind moving North to New England where it's a bit colder. Also, I really want to travel to the United Kingdom, especially Scotland. I'm looking to get a career in a global organization where I could get an option to travel, or move to a different country such as the UK.

So how about you?

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

Allright then..

I live in Sweden, northern Europe. it's usually a very cold country, but this summer has given us some pretty good weather. I live just outside the capital, a 30 minute bus ride gets me into the centre, which is very nice. However, the schools here aren't teh best, and sometime I'd glady move to the United States, if only for a few years. ::'

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

Maidenhead, England, Europe. :)

It's usually quite rainy but it either has a sunny spell or a rainy spell, with the latter being more common. If it's hot it's hot, if it's cold it's cold, and there is rarely any inbetween. The schools here are pretty decent, and I go to a multi-cultural school so it's a half and half mix between british and asians.

I live in a small town just off the bigger town of Bolton in England, UK.

It's pretty rubbish weather, it rains even in summer over here and in winter it rains 99% of the time. There isn't much sun in summer, it's typical English weather. It's a pretty urban area. Bolton isn't far from the big city of Manchester, the city that is generally thought of as the capital of the north. But where I live is pretty ran down, the main town is 30% charity shops, 30% fast food places, 25% ASDA supermarket and 15% other shops. There are quite a lot of secondary and primary schools in the area. Most are pretty rubbish and have been told by OFSTED (the schools watchdog type people) that they need to buck up their performance. There is one Private school in the area.

If you've ever seen/heard of Fred Dibnah then you'll know one of Bolton's biggest heroes, he also does our accent :P So in general our place is a mess, nobody lives near here willingly, but I heard once that Bolton has the friendliest people. Not too sure about that though :lol:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Okay. I live in Lubbock, Texas, and it sucks balls. So, I'm not going to talk about it. I'll talk about Amarillo and the Panhandle, where I might as well live because I spend as much time as I can in Amarillo and Canadian.

It hovers around 100-110 degrees fahrenheit every single day during summer (starting in April, ending in October), we have a "spring" and "fall" that last about a week, and then during winter all bets are off. We get blizzards and it can be in the low teens or single digits (with wind chill it hits negative teens, blizzards are rough here, and wind is X-treme), then the next day it could be 80 degrees. Wind. Well, there's a lot of wind because there's nothing to stop it. Lot of ranch land, some farming for cotton and the occasional corn. During a recent thunderstorm, just north of Lubbock an 86 mph gust got clocked.

Thunderstorms are awesome. Rain, hail, wind, lightning, I love it. Even tornadoes, even though they're scary as [cabbage] no matter who you are. I've seen a couple dozen in my life, I suspect, and about 4 or 5 have affected me directly. One has hit my house - well, my yard. it hit our neighbors and left us with minor damage except to our porch (we had to completely rebuild it).

Lot of bugs and creatures. Coyotes are a big problem, especially in Canadian. If one is seen, it's usually shot. Snakes have to be watched for, and you always shake your shoes out for spiders and scorpions if they were in a place where they could have collected them.

Amarillo has a real small-town feel to it, even though it has almost 200,000 people living there. A lot of ranching, and a lot of good food. Namely, Mexican and Texan fare. A couple restaurants serve great tamales along with chicken fried steak.

I really love the plains. Now, I guess I'll talk about Lubbock. Unfortunately. It's a lot like the Panhandle weather-wise, only much more mild. There hasn't been a tornado touched down since last year, and there's never more than a couple a year in the entire Llano Estocado. A lot of Mexican people, because Lubbock is a major place for illegal immigrants to settle. I'm not really sure why, cotton farming doesn't much more work than a family would be able to provide.

Huge differences between the poor and the rich. Almost no middle class here. The school I go to is pretty wealthy, but that doesn't say much, because most of the black kids and mexicans think they're in a gang while some white kids think they're living in the Hamptons or something and the rest think they're in Compton. I'm ready to get out of here.

Dust storms every fall and spring, thanks to the cotton and the wind. It sucks. I developed allergies to all the cottony dust. Oh, and Lubbock has terrible drivers.

Texas Tech's campus is really the nicest part of town. There's nothing to do here, really. Drive north and watch the storms. There is one biking trail that's fun to explore, although a lot of major drug deals go down there so if you hear someone you have to hide.

And it's true that Texas Tech has some of the hottest college girls in the country. However, the polls saying they're the [bleep]tiest and most prone to STDs (1 in 3.5 girls in Lubbock county has chlamydia alone) are also, sadly, true. Not a lot of diversity at the university, either. Mostly rich white kids from Dallas and Houston.

Anyways, Amarillo and the whole Panhandle is really pretty nice. Just be respectful, because otherwise you'll get your [wagon] handed to you. Lubbock, just keep away. If it wasn't for Texas Tech there'd be nothing here.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Hello from Texas!

I live in the western part of the state so it is always hot and never snows. It's usually 95 degrees during the summer and a very bland city that I live in. For the most part, people work for oil companies because they make tons of money. Oh, and nobody wears cowboy hats or rides horses to school ::'

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Alright then.

I live in Toronto, Canada, and damn glad I do. Canadians seem to have a reputation for being nice, though I've never really noticed anything different in other countries I've been to. Toronto is an awesome city, especially in the summer, when we usually have some sort of festival every weekend (jazz fest, taste of the Danforth, Carribana, etc).

Weather here is not as cold as everyone thinks (there's no snow in summer time...usually). Right now its around 25-30 degreees Celsius outside, annd I'm going to go out there now :P

I'll think up some more to write later.

I live in a small village just 15 minutes drive away from Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, England.

It's a very nice place. Quiet most of the year, blazing hot in summer, mild in winter, nice people, hardly any crime, and lots of upmarket (£350k and upwards) houses. However, there isn't a great deal to do here unless you really love sailing or fishing. Also, the village is somewhat of a tourist attraction for reasons that I haven't quite figured out in all 7 years of living here. The summer holiday period is incredibly busy, but it doesn't last for very long. There's a footpath leading up to the next village: there's a nice little scenic backroad that epitomises country life I enjoy walking down there.

Great Yarmouth itself is your typical English seaside town. That's all I'm going to say on that one, folks!

Pittsburg, Kansas. :)

It's a small college town, which seems to be a nice medium between a "middle of bum[bleep] nowhere"-town and a huge college town. We have enough around here (ton of fast food places, ect.) and it's a pretty chill place.

It's flat too. God is it flat. Plus once you get out of the actual town it's nothing but corn and wheat. :lol:

Nice idea for a thread dux : )

The place I call home is London, England, and it's amazing living here. Knowing you're living in the capital of the world... (except maybe New York/Tokyo?) If you're looking for something to do you couldn't get bored. The weather's pretty mild all year round - we're promised a blazing summer every year but the weather rarely delivers.

So... what do Londoners think about... Boris Johnson, has his name reached other shores yet? Identified by a mop of floppy blond hair and a spectacular accent he's a true character and has a very comic persona. His first act as Mayor of London was to trip over the podium he was welcomed onto to give a speech :lol: His first 'official' act was to ban drinking on public transport.

What else, bus and tube strikes... which happen quite a lot (apparently they aren't paid enough, but to my knowledge they get 30k a year, which is more than nurses and probably teachers so I don't know what they're complaining about). I think it's a London thing, maybe they're in use other places as well though - Oyster cards, like a permanent travelcard for cheaper public transport. Which reminds me... a couple of guys (I think there a band called Amateur Transplants?) wrote a song called the London Underground which is totally unjust but still hilarious because it's peppered with grains of truth :P I'd love to post the lyrics or a link but definitely PG+ so...

Very culturally diverse, I'm told, but it doesn't strike me so much because I've never lived anywhere else. Some areas/boroughs are especially noted for it.

If you go into central London you'll find there's this juxtaposition between really old, stone, historical buildings like St Pauls and the Houses of Parliament right next to these monuments to modernity, like the Southbank Complex which from the outside is this imposing, unattractive block of concrete, and blocks and blocks of riverside flats which are mostly glass.

Lots of rain (goes without saying I guess, lol). If you go to any of the big streets when it's pouring you'll find all the shop doorways crammed with people taking shelter, same with the tube stations. When winter comes round everyone (well except bus drivers :P) clings on to the hope of snow... the only thing that makes all that rain and mud worthwhile :P And lots of tourists as well, cameras and stuff. I can't think of anything else atm, which is pretty pathetic since I did a speech in class about living in London #-o But anyway. Tis cool here ::'

I live in Perth, Scotland a small city 40 miles north of Edinburgh. Summer's are usually disappointing and wet with a short warm spell in it (20-25C) and winter's are very dull and wet (0-5C) with maybe a week or so of snow.

There's not very much to do here for the younger generation, if you want to find any excitement or a good night out then you have to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Tourism is a pretty decent income for the city, mostly older folk look for a bit of history or passing through on the way to The Highlands which isn't far away.

Can you tell I want to move away yet? :P

sig2ho7.jpg

I live just outside Boston, MA.

I'll start with the city itself...

I guess it's your average city. Not huge. Not tiny. Pretty diverse - downtown is full of shiny skyscrapers, while the southern side is the poorer side, and North End is home to mainly Italians.

It's a coastal city, which is nice - Boston Harbor is great, and there's plenty of seafood - clam chowder. :)

Plymouth is kind of nearby, and Boston itself is one of the oldest settlements by Europeans in this country. There's plenty of history here, it more or less is home to the American Revolution. (I know. It's not. But I like to say it is) Harvard and MIT aren't in Boston itself, but both are pretty great schools so I suppose it's kind of a college town.

Now, for where I live. Like many of the suburbs around here, it's full of white, rich families, a good portion of which are Jewish. (I wouldn't say my family is any of those 3 though...) It's a fairly nice city, not polluted (you see Prii - is that the plural of Prius? - everywhere), though we don't have any skyscrapers or anything. All it really is though is homes and stores. We do have a lot of public transportation, one of the few suburbs to actually have subways running through, allowing for easy access to go into the real city, Boston.

The weather here is constantly changing, though generally it's fairly hot during the summer and mild during the spring. Boston in the fall is awesome. Though there aren't that many trees left in the city itself, nor in my suburb, the scenery can get pretty amazing. As for winter, we get snowstorms, maybe a few blizzards. Nor'easters too. I have no clue why you would want to move here during the winter, most people don't like it, especially past the little kid stage where snow days are awesome. :P

I have no clue if the accents are famous or not, but

. Three of the greatest things about Boston are in that commercial - the accents, the Red Sox, and Dunkin' Donuts. :thumbup:

I'd love to write some things about Taipei, but it'd simply end up with me repeating "IT IS AWESOME" over and over. Gotta have some love for the motherland, y'know?

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Cincinnati, Ohio.

The city is big and dirty. The riverfront is nice, and there are some really cool-looking old buildings, and lots of suspension bridges across the Ohio River. Including the Purple People Bridge, which is fun to say. I'm not a city person so there's not much more I can say about that.

The countryside is very hilly. We have neighborhoods named Mt. Something-or-other all over the place. Which is why I felt some extreme vertigo when traveling through Kansas/Nebraska. Way too flat. I live in the middle of the woods on the top of a hill. Lots of corn fields around, which sounds contradictory to the fact that it's hilly, but there you go.

I have nothing really to compare this to, so it's hard to point out features you wouldn't find in other countries :?

p2gq.jpg

I'm really enjoying reading your replies. :thumbup:.

For those in England, are you familiar with Banksy?

Yes! \' I love Banksy! My dad just bought his book for my mum's birthday and on the back it's like a brick wall, printed over the top are the words:

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to go on the back of your book cover" - Metropolitan Police Spokesperson

Just brightens your day, doesn't it? :P

Yes! \' I love Banksy! My dad just bought his book for my mum's birthday and on the back it's like a brick wall, printed over the top are the words:

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to go on the back of your book cover" - Metropolitan Police Spokesperson

Haha, I have that book too. Is his artwork fairly common? When I read about him it seems like everyone knows him and his mark is everywhere.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

Haha, I have that book too. Is his artwork fairly common? When I read about him it seems like everyone knows him and his mark is everywhere.

I have to admit I've never been walking around and seen some cool artwork and gone 'Hey, it's Banksy!'. That said though I'm sure I've seen lots of his work, without appreciating it was him. I just really admire what he does, art and rebellion in one, but without a trace of malice or violence. And yeah I would say pretty much everyone has heard of him : )

Hello from West Virginia, four seasons country.

I live in a very, very small community called Kellys Ville. Population about... 220? This town is about a hour and a half from our captial, Charleston. As I said before, this is four season country. So during the summer, hot and humid. Temptures can range from low's of 45F (7C) and as high as 100F (37C). Fall is cooler, and slightly less humid. Winter can be tough. It does not snow a lot, but it does get cold, as low as -10F (-23C) without windchils. Spring is just plain humid, and rains a lot.

The community, is very close. Not much diversity. 98% is white, 1% is black, and 1% is asian. Most of the people that do live here are older (in fact, I am the only teenager, that is going to college as of now.) Most people do go to church, we have 4 of them, all of which are about 200 yards apart.

We have 2 rail ways, that run coal to our local power plant, about 10 mins away. The tracks, are about 70 yards away from my house, so trains are very annoying to me. The biggest thing to do around here is hunt. We do not have big deer, but we have plenty of them, so that is the top hunted animal around here.

Thats about all I can think of to put in here... Not much to do...very boring place -.-

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I live in Florida. I've lived in a lot of different states before and this is probably my least favorite. The humidity makes you more lazy. Everyone here thinks they are rednecks... it's a fad here. -.- Florida can and does get cold at winter, especially with all the humidity in the air making it seem even colder. And with so much water in the air, it makes it feel even colder than they say it is on the Weather Channel. There's also quite a bit of swampy areas.

On the plus side, the nights are wonderful. It might be a little stuffy but it's better than cold nights in my opinion. There are still trees damaged from the hurricanes a few years ago, but I think our trees are nice to look at anyway. They just have something about them. Most neighbors are friendly. It's a great experience mowing the lawn. And... overall it just feels really good to be outside when it isn't too hot or cold.

So for me, I live in New Jersey, United States. During the winter it gets down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but it is usually around freezing which is 32 degrees. During the summer it can get as hot as 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but the average is around 80 degrees I would say. Compared to the rest of the country, our weather is pretty mild in both extremes which is nice. In my neighborhood, there are a lot of forests and hills. Also farming is very big here. There are no businesses in my town, just neighborhoods, so the local popular town is fifteen minutes away (driving). In that town there are stores like Walmart, Target, Shoprite, Home Depot, along with fast food restaurants, and locally owned stores and restaurants. I really enjoy New Jersey, but I wouldn't mind moving North to New England where it's a bit colder. Also, I really want to travel to the United Kingdom, especially Scotland. I'm looking to get a career in a global organization where I could get an option to travel, or move to a different country such as the UK.

This pretty much describes where I live, except it doesn't get as cold and is in Northern California.

mbqyk3.gif

Sydney, Australia.

Been here most of my life. Nice weather all year round. Never really moved around, and even when we did - it was in a 5 k radius. So, everything is familiar.

Spring here is beautiful - sunny but not hot and a pleasant breeze. Nothing better to sit in the park [which is 5 minutes from the library] and read.

Though it's really hilly, up and down even within suburbs so it's kinda' annoying to walk around.

Northern Virginia (when I'm not at college) - it's a pretty nice place, comprised of a bunch of suberbs/towns. Lots of diversity in people, but not quite as densely populated as a full-blown city. Traffic does suck though, especially during rush hour. People tend to live here or further south (where houses are cheaper) and tend to commute north to work here or in D.C. I'm about 15-20 min away from Washington D.C. Weather is fairly decent - hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Located on the mid-atlantic so no real extremes in temperature. Plenty of things to do here and the school system (at least in fairfax county) is rated quite high on the national rankings. Overall, nova is pretty developed, but as you go further south/west, you'll start seeing familiar sprawls of countryside found in much of the southern part of virginia.

cescsig.jpg