Tip.It Times: 23 Aug 2009

n_odie

I honestly wonder how far Mechscape is away. It would've been great to have that ready to release or beta or whatever. Then while they did that and worked with the community, just straight up take RS down or revert it to f2p only for like 6 months, and entirely rework/fix the code. That's what it needs. Fixing, not upgrayedd's.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm to waiting impatiently for the next big update, such as the authour of the Wake Up article. I think that all players wants more updates and agrees with that it has been a rather dry year. Still, I consider Jagex to have done a good job. It's possible since I find prioritating bugs and upgrades to already existing content a good way to make the game better. Even if I too want to see that new skill I'm still rather satisfied with this upgrade year.

There's already so many things you can already do. There are for sure some things within the game that you haven't done yet. Instead of just waiting for some new content to come out, try out doing something you haven't done before that is already within the game.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I was happy to see the fictional article back this week. I thought that the WoW and Wake Up! articles made a point and were very.. is relevant the right word? I generally don't see much point in the articles but this week they were good and made perfect sense. I really like how the WoW article has got some people saying 'I like RS better because...' which is interesting because in the end it comes down to personal preference.

My personal prefernce has always been Runescape for a number of reasons.

1) I started playing it before WoW even existed.

2) It's cheaper

3) I can play it anywhere

4) It's a better, more rounded game.

5) Runescape doesn't pay sad actors to promote it in commercials.

Lots more I'm not going to type as well.

The updates have been slightly slow this year but I'll start complaining about them when I've done absolutely everything I want to do in the game that already exists. When I've beaten all the quests, mastered all the minigames, killed tons of players, have a few skill capes, tried out lots of clan events and made a small fortune then I'll worry about a lack of new content. The DYK I found usefull though.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

-- Douglas Adams

I've played Wow for like a summer a year ago, and it beats RS in a lot of things. But unlike RS it get old really fast. Both have grinding but RS gets big updates more often to change up the pace. In WoW you do the same things over and over again.

The only thing fun is it's more cooperative then RS. But if you don't have a group of friends you can always go and play with it gets lame fast. I played it with my brother for a while and that was fun, but when he wasn't online it was extremely boring. Then I got two levels higher then him and it became almost impossible for us to do quests together. There is such an absurd difference between level 35 and level 38 in that game. They made the game so once something is 10 levels higher then you, you can't possibly ever kill it. It was fun to have classes and coop, but honestly there isn't much to do in it. Runescape in my opinion is the better game.

03warrior.png

My personal prefernce has always been Runescape for a number of reasons.

1) I started playing it before WoW even existed.

2) It's cheaper

3) I can play it anywhere

4) It's a better, more rounded game.

5) Runescape doesn't pay sad actors to promote it in commercials.

Lots more I'm not going to type as well.

dont be hatin on mr t

I'm actually fine with them spending more time fixing the assorted bugs and so on.

Not that the assorted upgrades aren't appreciated. For example, I certainly don't mind being able to keep my pets in my house instead of the bank now!

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Hi there fellow tip.iters I am King__Giovas (two spaces) how you all doing today?

I thought I would just share an idea I had with myself on the boring train trip home from work.

My little brother has shot up in height, it all happened all of a sudden. Day in day out, I thought there was no change, but wow was I wrong....

...sound familiar?

RUNESCAPE!

I have been in Greece the last six weeks, it was not a holiday from Australia, it was also a break from Runescape. Upon Returning the game forums have been filled with complaints and rants.

I will tell you this, the game has changed soo much but you have not noticed! Prior to the holiday I would have agreed with you guys, but seriously, jagex have been working hard!

Also to the wow section: honestly i think wow is a better game, but i am lvl 137 and almost got 300m xp i would feel it a waste to go from my lvl 137 in rs to my lvl 17 in wow,.

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

If you think about it, Jagex makes too many updates(once every week) that just keep making things easier easier and easier. skills are becoming less challenging now, and I really don't think we need another skill. The only people I think that should complain are the ppl that have played every minigame, got 99 in every skill, and did all the quests. Im sick and tired of people complaining about a new skill or new update when they should just focus on their stats.

shooterbob7.png

If you think about it, Jagex makes too many updates(once every week) that just keep making things easier easier and easier. skills are becoming less challenging now, and I really don't think we need another skill. The only people I think that should complain are the ppl that have played every minigame, got 99 in every skill, and did all the quests. Im sick and tired of people complaining about a new skill or new update when they should just focus on their stats.

I'm level 138, I have completed every quest, and my lowest skill is level 73. I don't enjoy any of the skills anymore because they've gotten stale. Any update has no replay value and isn't fun in the first place (on the average of 1 medium 1 small update per month, compared to 1 large 2 medium 1 small back in 2005-2006). That's probably why they've lost my $5/month.

It almost seems as if the development team has shrunk in size because the lack of quality updates is quite disturbing. I would have been happy to pay Jagex far more than $5/month in 2005-2006 but now I wouldn't even pay $1/month for RuneScape.

2496 Completionist

Its not too often Tip it Times has an article I dont enjoy, but I have to greatly disagree with the "Wake Up" article.

I hadn't kept very up to date on what had been happening in Runscape over this past 1 1/2 - 2 years (Ironically I was playing WoW), but i recently came back to a runscape was quite different from the one I left. The graphics in the game had been redisigned a bit, summoning had been added, as well as numerous quests and minigames. Just to name a few. To someone playing regularly over that time frame, the game probably didnt seem to have changed much at all, but I was very pleased to jump back into the familiar game that had grown quite a bit.

This could very well tie into last weeks article of "Why do you play Runescape?". Is it for the huge updates that come around every so often? Its seems like you expect Jagex to Reinvent the wheel every couple of months. No ones wants that.

More skills? Are you serious?? It's more that enough keeping up with the ones we have.

It almost seems like you would enjoy playing WoW for Blizzard's updates more, where the game is turned upside-down every 2 years from a new expantion. Which leads me to the WoW article.

This article certainly wasn't the first dicussion Ive seen comparing RS with WoW, but I did enjoy it immensly, especially after coming back from playing it for a year and a half. I enjoy both games and for different reasons, as the author stated, it is impossible to comepare the two. They both have thier stong and weak points.

PvP in runscape doesnt compare to PvP in WoW in my opinion. In runscape you run over to your target, attack, and hope big numbers pop up. It can get far more in depth than that, but for the most part it is simple pvp for a simple game. And there is nothing wrong with that. Even at low levels pvp in WoW required a quite a bit of skill and thinking, given the multiple classes and layout of the game. Not to mention the plethorea of abiliteis you have by lvl 80.

As far as quests in WoW killing mosters and collecting things gold old pretty quick, I missed the challenges of runescapes quests.

Two good games for different reasons.

thenewsiglw3.png

Fixing "gaping holes" is perfectly fine, but whatever changes they made to the engine to allow (Im)mobilising

Armies to come out were a waste of a time. If MA is the type of content they can churn out with those upgrades I don't want them to keep working on those particular aspects (selecting multiple units, camera view, etc) of the engine; instead, they should work on something fun, like a replayable minigame or a completely new skill/game aspect.

At the same time we got a new minigame, Jagex received a new piece of content to use in their future updates. I think that innovation as far as updates go is far more important than the update itself (case in point: Castle Wars, which can be seen as the granddaddy to safe PvP minigames, like Stealing Creation and Fist of Guthix).

You honestly can't stop innovation, and Andrew even came out and admitted that the piece of content wouldn't be all that great. Also, writing new skills is about as complicated as writing brand new minigames, anyway - and I don't mean some old rehashed scenario - I mean something totally groundbreaking, a-la Construction or even Hunter.

I honestly wonder how far Mechscape is away. It would've been great to have that ready to release or beta or whatever. Then while they did that and worked with the community, just straight up take RS down or revert it to f2p only for like 6 months, and entirely rework/fix the code. That's what it needs. Fixing, not upgrayedd's.

Yeah, because cutting off MechScape's only revenue stream is such a good idea. :roll:

I'm also starting to tire of your pedantic (borderline childish) commenting of fixes; what you call "upgrayedd", they really are "fixes". They're working to fix issues that have plagued the game for long enough, while at the same time, trying to expand their game engine to work on multiple gaming platforms and improve legacy code. If you can't see it, perhaps your opinion of Jagex is a bit too jaded to appreciate the updates and fixes to the game as they come.

I'm to waiting impatiently for the next big update, such as the authour of the Wake Up article. I think that all players wants more updates and agrees with that it has been a rather dry year. Still, I consider Jagex to have done a good job. It's possible since I find prioritating bugs and upgrades to already existing content a good way to make the game better. Even if I too want to see that new skill I'm still rather satisfied with this upgrade year.

There's already so many things you can already do. There are for sure some things within the game that you haven't done yet. Instead of just waiting for some new content to come out, try out doing something you haven't done before that is already within the game.

Even though there's no justification for you to wait for a major upgrade this year, at least you're taking it with a grain of salt.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Its not too often Tip it Times has an article I dont enjoy, but I have to greatly disagree with the "Wake Up" article.

I hadn't kept very up to date on what had been happening in Runscape over this past 1 1/2 - 2 years (Ironically I was playing WoW), but i recently came back to a runscape was quite different from the one I left. The graphics in the game had been redisigned a bit, summoning had been added, as well as numerous quests and minigames. Just to name a few. To someone playing regularly over that time frame, the game probably didnt seem to have changed much at all, but I was very pleased to jump back into the familiar game that had grown quite a bit.

This could very well tie into last weeks article of "Why do you play Runescape?". Is it for the huge updates that come around every so often? Its seems like you expect Jagex to Reinvent the wheel every couple of months. No ones wants that.

I hope that other article you're referring to wasnt written by the same person, because that would just be weird. :?

But to be honest, I was referring to this year only. Most of the things you specifically referred to (i.e. Summoning, graphics changes) came around prior to 2009.

It almost seems like you would enjoy playing WoW for Blizzard's updates more, where the game is turned upside-down every 2 years from a new expantion. Which leads me to the WoW article.

I can't really tell if you are serious, or if it was a cheesy segue. I tried WoW for about a week, but wasn't very interested in it. I'm not looking to turn the game upside-down. I just like to see it grow once in awhile. If I wanted a game that stayed the same, I wouldn't pay a monthly subscription online for one.

rssig2.png

99 all stats? That is WAYYYYY to much grinding. After a certain point, you DO need something other to do then grind skills to 99. Maybe 80+ all skills?

Also, having done every quest and a number of minigames, I find I still have plenty of things to do...summoning, rank minigames, get more armour...

I'm level 138, I have completed every quest, and my lowest skill is level 73. I don't enjoy any of the skills anymore because they've gotten stale. Any update has no replay value and isn't fun in the first place (on the average of 1 medium 1 small update per month, compared to 1 large 2 medium 1 small back in 2005-2006). That's probably why they've lost my $5/month.

It almost seems as if the development team has shrunk in size because the lack of quality updates is quite disturbing. I would have been happy to pay Jagex far more than $5/month in 2005-2006 but now I wouldn't even pay $1/month for RuneScape.

Considering what all you have done, I don't blame you for being bored and cancelling your membership lol. If I were you I would quit for a year or two and wait till there is enough new stuff to make it worth coming back. (Btw, if you read the topic, there are a number of reasons why the development seems to have shrunk in size; for instance, if it's a brand new update that requires more code, it takes longer but the players see less of a result, and it would also be worth checking out the past two development diaries. But yeah, whatever the reasons, there is less new content coming out then there used to.)

Also, now that I think about it, I really like these articles, because of the heated discussion it costs. It's rather boring when you get articles that has two pages of "yup, I agree." I like these opinionated articles more, written more as a personal opinion or editorial rather then something general to make sure no one flames you.

Also, I have to comment on this:

Note that in between those two years, there is probably next to no updates, or at the very least anything larger then a small patch or bug fix. (Note I'm an ignorant person who has never played WoW, so if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.) Quit RS for two years and chances are you will find that all the updates during those two years kinda add up eh....I mean, if you quit two years ago and came back now, they CERTAINLY turned the game upside down lol, although more last year then this year.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

My Observations: WoW for a Month; I first started playing RS back in 04, made a fair few friends along the way and one day one of em said he was quitting RS and going to WoW and i should go with him, so as in this article i also went and tried the "trial" version and i was instantly hooked to be quite honest. I quit RS altogether and focused purely on WoW for a year and a half made a tank warrior got to lvl 80 and trained every skill to max, at which point i realised everything in WoW is exactly the same, reguardless of what you choose to be or do at the end of the day there is only about 5 different quests (i know theres more than 5 quests in the game but 9 out of 10 times the npc will task you to do the exact same thing the last one did) just on a different monster item or to get a nice Rare from some pointless questline. Is there a story behind WoW? Yes, there is and its really too simple. Wow seriously lacks change in gameplay and features, yet focuses heavily on opening new areas to keep the higher levels happy enough to get the newest item that is only slightly better than the previous yet twice as hard to get. Where as what i have found over the years of RS it changes day to day, i loved all the quests especially the ones that made you go "what the CABBAGE do i do here" best quests ever, and if you ever get bored its simple, go train a different skill! There is alot more diversity in RS than in WoW by a mile.

To sum it all up, in my opinion as much as i miss WoW, i prefer RS. Yeah i miss it, the graphics were awesome and flying is quite nice too, not really enough to make me stay for 3x the price of RS.

As for :

Also, I have to comment on this:

Note that in between those two years, there is probably next to no updates, or at the very least anything larger then a small patch or bug fix. (Note I'm an ignorant person who has never played WoW, so if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.) Quit RS for two years and chances are you will find that all the updates during those two years kinda add up eh....I mean, if you quit two years ago and came back now, they CERTAINLY turned the game upside down lol, although more last year then this year.

You are pretty much bang on so if you truely are ignorant at least you're lucky at guessing :P although there was a small island opened in a patch once thats about it hehe, also they update every single week and it takes up to 6 hours per server, most of the time they update the player abilities to hit more/less do something different or give it a new name its just things to keep people interested (and paying) really.

Yeah, because cutting off MechScape's only revenue stream is such a good idea. :roll:

I'm also starting to tire of your pedantic (borderline childish) commenting of fixes; what you call "upgrayedd", they really are "fixes". They're working to fix issues that have plagued the game for long enough, while at the same time, trying to expand their game engine to work on multiple gaming platforms and improve legacy code. If you can't see it, perhaps your opinion of Jagex is a bit too jaded to appreciate the updates and fixes to the game as they come.

Okay, you missed the point. I wasn't ranting. I wasn't criticizing. My point was I wish Mechscape was ready for release now. Becuase if it was released, it would, in my opinion be a better idea to take RS down for a few months and completely fix it, instead of fixing it as they go as they're doing now. All I was trying to do was say I think it would be better to do it that way than fixing it as they go.

But hey, thanks for tearing me down over nothing.

And if you don't like what I have to say, then add me as a foe and you won't have to see my posts. I'll do the same so I can avoid you're constant sucking up.

BTW, nice to see you totally misuse the word pedantic. My posts don't really have anything to do with minute details, overly formal rules, and/or book learnings. And if we wish to use some of those lovely, fringe english words, how about I call you a "Jagex Myrmidon?" :thumbup:

For the WoW article:

I actually bought WoW about a week ago after watching the trailer for "Cataclysm".

I'm a player who enjoys PvM, so WoW is pretty awesome for me. High levels get high level content on a regular basis, which is why I've been so disappointed with Runescape lately. I've reached some pretty high levels on my RS character, for what? Godwars is too easy IMO and the Corp beast is about the only end game (if you REALLY want to call it end game...) content we have. Most skills are unfinished, giving us nothing to work for but capes or ranks. It makes the game feel like a beta version.

World of Warcraft is amazing, simply put. Their combat system is well thought out, skills tie together, you actually have stuff to work towards at high levels, better group support and great customer service to top it off (getting hacked or items lost to a glitch back, imagine that!).

As for the Wake Up article or whatever it was called:

I've really lost my faith in Jagex. Just as they try to reach out to the community, their game is suffering a streak of useful, but boring updates. As useful as any update can be, it doesn't give us anything new or exciting as a new dungeon.

November has usually been their "big update" month, so I can only hope that we get something decent during November. As the article said, I won't be holding my breath, I'll actually probably be on WoW :P

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009