WoW cataclysm and RuneScape

Trey

Oh ya, take the date something is first announced by Blizz and add like 5 years to get the release date. In a world where there are so many crappy game producers Blizz does a good job of making sure their games are thoroughly tested and balanced well before they are released.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like codependant skills in runescape really, such as special things in smithing table with 70 mining and 70 smithing requirement instead of just one, motivates people to get both up, and much better guilds is one thing we're lacking.

I agree with the weapons and armour thing as we do need more unique types, maybe even enchantable armours that require higher leveled magic, It's started to come in recently with spirit shields and dragonfire shield I hope its an on-going thing.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Hey sorry for my late response, I've been running errands for a while.

First off let me make it clear that I am not trying to compare RS with WoW, nor am I trying to have aspects of WoW added to RuneScape. meaning I would not want the ability to chose races, have mounts, have that ability unlocker (the table thing), or other things that are distinctly WoW. My argument will never be about graphics, content>graphics to me.

I would however like to see things expanded in RuneScape.

As I said in my first post

Things like:

-map expansions. more diverse landscapes

-new races to accompany the new maps

-new skill(s)

-deeper core quest.

-new items/abilities

-new monsters

-new quests

-guild leveling

Now, while guild leveling is distinctly WoW, it is still a new concept that could work in runescape without changing the game horribly. People want more clan content after all.

I guess when I said new races I didn't elaborate enough. I do not want playable races but I would like to see area specific races like dwarfs, elves, gnomes to live in the new areas that are developed.

I think if Jagex only did yearly-type expansions to RS, and had the time and testing capabilities of WoW, we would see things that would seem jsut as big as that. If those updates to Wow came slowly, one at a time once a week, they would seem much less spactacular.

Runescapes crippling factor is the demand of the user for constant weekly updates.

I agree, but only to a certain extent. If jubulux only did annual updates things would look larger than we see them, however, the amount of content we are receiving each year seems to be dwindling. especially considering the fact that they no longer release weekly updates. I know jugyl00x doesn't have the budget but we still seem to be getting shortchanged.

I think that's all for now. :thumbup:

4e0Vn.png

Runescape is a browser based game. It will never compare to WoW.

Correct.

WoW's biggest competitor will be next year, made by themselves (Blizzard) with Diablo 3 in my opinion.

Have to also take into account the experience blizzard has as a developer, where as Jagexs first and only hit was RuneScape.

http://funorb.com/

does funorb have a million members?

@The previous poster

They had people from everquest you know... people from everquest, an earlier mmo, helped make WoW

Smellysocks said hit, not big hit.

Prism_Swords.png

I guess when I said new races I didn't elaborate enough. I do not want playable races but I would like to see area specific races like dwarfs, elves, gnomes to live in the new areas that are developed.

Keldagrim.

Tirannwn. (Lletya)

Tree Gnome Stronghold, Tree Gnome Village.

Stellactic.gif

Keldagrim.

Tirannwn. (Lletya)

Ape atoll

Varrock (humans are still a race)

Troll stronghold

I can't see Jagex intergrating WoW aspects into RS,

I think Jagex would rather steer clear of the competition, Although i agree i would love to see some major changes done to RS. They're not going to happen soon. Just once i'd like to see more than 1 skill released at a time.

But in saying that, Jagex have had a number of massive upgrades we all remember RSC:

2n6u1ir.jpg

Then from SD to HD

hd_vs_sd.png

And lets not forget the 6 skills added since 2004.

If anyone can remember, They did have a RS2 trailor when it was first released to members as beta version.

[hide=]

I think Jagex would rather steer clear of the competition, Although i agree i would love to see some major changes done to RS. They're not going to happen soon. Just once i'd like to see more than 1 skill released at a time.

But in saying that, Jagex have had a number of massive upgrades we all remember RSC:

2n6u1ir.jpg

Then from SD to HD

hd_vs_sd.png

If anyone can remember, They did have a RS2 trailor when it was first released to members as beta version.

[/hide]

Sorry, there was never a RS2 video in 2003.

Stellactic.gif

I saw the trailer today and went out and bought all the WoW games and a time card. Not even kidding, and I'll explain why.

Being a high level (136 combat and moderate skill levels) I feel like there is no support for high level content in the game, and haven't had any since around the time of While Guthix Sleeps. WoW is based on high level content.

I feel like WoW does everything Runescape fails to do, and more.

Take their customer support for example. My RL friend got hacked and lost his items, they were replaced in full by Blizzard.

Looking at the Cataclysm expansion I can't wait to buy it. All they're making is high level content, not just noob 10 minute quests or little bug fixes, this is BIG stuff they're releasing.

Godwars in RS is a joke, and almost the only high level PvM in the game.

I'll keep my eye on Runescape and don't get me wrong on this post, I'm not saying Jagex needs to put out an update like this, because I really doubt they have the resources to. They're different games, but WoW comes out on top in my eyes after seeing that trailer.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

On the contrary, it can. That is what makes Runescape so tragic, it CAN be the best MMORPG out there, it is boiling with potential. However, the management couldn't care any less than they already do about making that a reality.

THEY'RE BOTH FREGGIN MMOs. let those fanboys compare them however they want to.

Well he is right, there are some things you just can't do on a browser; for instance, it will be a long time before RS graphics are up to date. I don't care much for graphics but it is a fact that there are certain limitations attached.

On the contrary, it can. That is what makes Runescape so tragic, it CAN be the best MMORPG out there, it is boiling with potential. However, the management couldn't care any less than they already do about making that a reality.

THEY'RE BOTH FREGGIN MMOs. let those fanboys compare them however they want to.

Well he is right, there are some things you just can't do on a browser; for instance, it will be a long time before RS graphics are up to date. I don't care much for graphics but it is a fact that there are certain limitations attached.

The only true limitation is making the graphics able to run on every single computer out there.

Just wait for Mechscape. I'm quite stoked to see what Java and web based MMO's can actually pull out. MS is supposed to be far more advanced than RS.

Stellactic.gif

Correct.

WoW's biggest competitor will be next year, made by themselves (Blizzard) with Diablo 3 in my opinion.

As they have said D3 would be released Q3 of 2010 you can expect atleast Q1 of 2011, if not Q3 2011. They usually take their time to finish their products instead of shipping them even if their ready or not, like EA and others. So don't expect D3 to be released anytime soon.

More recently, Blizzard said that Starcraft 2 and Cataclysm are the only two titles to be released in 2010.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

[hide=]

2n6u1ir.jpg

Then from SD to HD

hd_vs_sd.png

[/hide]

Sorry, there was never a RS2 video in 2003.

Maybe i'm thinking of player made trailors, i'm sure jagex released images atleast

lulz @ someone thinking RS could integrate some WoW aspects :lol:

Well, they could. WoW has high level content, Runescape doesn't. We really need something big, like a whole new world(maybe Freneskae) with stronger monsters that drop better armour/weapons, with new dungeons, and ofcourse new skill-related items.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

To be realistic all I can imagine is Mark Gerhard laughing away like Mr. Krabs counting his greens.

The developers would have already made more end-game content if they had ever thought of doing that.

nRLBLM.jpg

*sigh* I don't wish to rant too much but here I go.....

First of all, anyone who thinks that the video is going to equal gameplay is gravely mistaken. Don't get me wrong, WoW is by no means a bad game, but it is also not the end all be all MMO. I have tried out many MMO's and they all have their own ups and downs. No MMO is perfect in every way. To start a new MMO and reach this "high level" content will take many months of long play times. When I restarted WoW after they made it easier to reach level 60, I spent over a month and a half getting to 65. I never got to 70 which was endgame in the Burning Crusade expansion. Their latest one bumbed it up to level 80. The expansion coming out will bump that up to 85. I played most days for at least 3 hours or more so it wasn't like I took my sweet time. This will vary based on build, experience with MMO's, how much you can stand grinding ect ect.

Second of all I feel Runescape does and can compete with the MMO's out there. Again let me re state the fact that Runescape is not perfect and I too would be happy to see much higher level stuff coming out. Even with these faults I think RS is still a good game. If jagex takes the lack of elite/grandmaster content than I feel it would really make RS awesome. At the same time I realize that unless something major changes giving out level 99 stuff means that is endgame. Without higher levels or something that will be the best of the best.

Sorry if this seems like venting but I am frustrated when people try and make WoW sound like the greatest game ever. It does have much better combat and group content, but stuff like skills is sorely lacking. It has little to do as a solo person, end game content is only for raids of 25+ people. Some would like that but I personally don't. Skills in WoW mean little and can be ground to the max level within just a day or two for the most part. End game isn't too hard to reach with the rest system where anyone NOT playing earns free exp. While you are rested you gain 2x the exp for monster kills. The person who plays 8 hours a day will reach endgame quicker but will put in much more work. Again some people like this and some dont.

I don't mine people having different opinions than my own, I just get frustrated when they act like their opinion is the same as everyone elses.

For Runescape to be on par with WoW, some of Jagex's core philosophies might have to change. RS is already a great game as it is, and it has many superiorites over WoW (devastatingly more available as a browser-based game, no massive downloads and no software purchases from a store. Far cheaper, 100% free if you are F2P (and that doesn't expire)). RS has simpler gameplay. I disagree with some of Blizzard's practices (advertising on TV?? LOL). For graphics, High Detail is, in my opinion, on par with WoW's, and is still easier to obtain. Jagex has put in many, many security measures for the prevention of getting hacked, so I don't think the CS oh that is too unreasonable. As for reimbursing items lost from glitches, I'm not sure. I don't think it's very wise to carry around a [cabbage]load of money after an update, but it is Jagex's fault.... oh well.

Some updates I think Jagex should implement would, in my opinion, please many people who think WoW>RS. For starters, ways to make less "crunching". Maybe mini-boss monsters. Single way combat (except for familiars, if that's possible) that give a lot of EXP upon defeat, with none-too-shabby drops as well. Really hard monsters, where you have a good chance of dying if you're even slightly unprepared.

Jagex should also make haste for getting Runescape onto a Nintendo DS or a PSP. That would GREATLY increase revenue, fact. Implementing a way to play on your current brower-based character (WHILE LINKED TO WI-FI) would make many, many people buy such a product. Even your console-based character to be inputed onto the browser game (but to avoid advantages, maybe have EXP slashed, as there wouldn't be competition for monsters, ores, trees and the like). Having your console-based character be able to buy things from the GE would also boost RS's economy (and halt this run-away inflation). And make sure it wouldn't be a crap game like Age of Empires to AoE on DS was..

Jagex boasts on having little requirments to run their game. This would be a kick in the [wagon] for other game competitors.

And Jagex's focus on quantity over quality needs to be changed. Jagex should have 1-2 updates a month, but fulfilling updates that are high quality, not easy quests or anything like that. I don't care how mcuh people whine about the decrease in updates, this seriosuly needs to change.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

Some updates I think Jagex should implement would, in my opinion, please many people who think WoW>RS. For starters, ways to make less "crunching". Maybe mini-boss monsters. Single way combat (except for familiars, if that's possible) that give a lot of EXP upon defeat, with none-too-shabby drops as well. Really hard monsters, where you have a good chance of dying if you're even slightly unprepared.

And Jagex's focus on quantity over quality needs to be changed. Jagex should have 1-2 updates a month, but fulfilling updates that are high quality, not easy quests or anything like that. I don't care how mcuh people whine about the decrease in updates, this seriosuly needs to change

:thumbsup: Very similar to what I would like to see. If Jagex took their updates and made them into bi-weekly or even monthly I think quality would go up quite a bit. While its nice so have some lower level updates here and there I do think that there is an ever growing need to have much higher level stuff. While I don't want to see the true endgame get released too soon just start throwing some bones at us with 90+ level requirements would be a good starting point.

Hopefully this year of fixing enables them to do this.

I don't think adding incredibly strong armor or weapons is that good an idea.... most PvP duels already only last a few seconds, we don't want to make them so fast no-one can respond quickly enough. There's only 99 hp possible, you know.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

Just wanted to answer the question of the thread starter...

I know that WoW has a much larger budget than RuneScape but I feel we could have more updates than we do.

If runescape has 1million subscribers that pay 5$ per month thats $5million/month or $60million/year. That figure

doesn't include advertising revenue.

now what do you think it costs to run runescape per year? The server hosting can't be that much per year and paying

workers can't be that horrible either. I know i'm missing things that run up the bill but the leftover money could very well

be used to develop future content.

[hide=Jagex Finance Overview]jagexfinancialoverview2.gif[/hide]

"Runescape has the second biggest public forum on the internet, with around 2.8 million posts a week," explains Gerhard. "Yet we host that [forum] on a machine with around 1GB of RAM which you probably couldn't even sell for £50... because our technology is that good."

The entire game of Runescape is server side, with the game running on machines with ultra-low bandwidth (down to 28k) and, as a good idea of the level of traffic Jagex is dealing with, the company receives around 85 BILLION page impressions a day.

"Bear in mind that we do this with running costs that are sub £1 million a year," says Gerhard. "Which, if you compare it to something like Age of Conan which has costs in the region of £250,000 or World of Warcraft with costs in the region of £500,000,000 per year, puts things in perspective Our running costs are effectively 1/500 that of WoW!

"It is because we use all of our own technology in house," he adds. "We don't use any standardised middleware."

[404] Signature not found.

Keldagrim.

Tirannwn. (Lletya)

Well if you actually read what I posted you would see that I was suggesting new areas with new races specific to those new areas. therefor, I would like to see new races that are area specific. The dwarfs, elves and gnomes were examples. :D

While I don't want to see the true endgame get released too soon just start throwing some bones at us with 90+ level requirements would be a good starting point.

Well we're pretty much screwed on high level content. juglyx can't release high level content because they've hit the ceiling (for the most part). Adding better things to the game would, as people have said, be end game. They didn't plan that well in the early days of runescape and now its hard release things without screwing up the balance. like weapons with out accompanying armour to defend against the new weapons.

for skill content lets take a look at smithing. The tables have been set from day one. What takes 99 smithing to make only requires 40 defense/attack to wear/weild. So smithing can't really be updated that much farther they have level 99 content that only yields items that are low level. High level content cant be released because they cant go any higher. and with that being true, while they continue to keep the game the same, more and more people reach the "high level" mark, which increases the demand for high level content.

what I would really like to see is a new continent with increased skill caps OR with different skill sets (like spellbooks for skills).

This would have to be fine tuned of course but there are many ways to go about this.

-content exclusive items (ores, fish, trees, weapons, armour)

-new items that can be used anywhere but with a balanced item-level progression

-with skill cap increase we could make dragon items. level 100 for 1 bar dragon items, 101 for 2 bar etc.

-tons of other stuff.

lyl,

spiroff <3

4e0Vn.png

[hide=Graph and stuff]

Just wanted to answer the question of the thread starter...

I know that WoW has a much larger budget than RuneScape but I feel we could have more updates than we do.

If runescape has 1million subscribers that pay 5$ per month thats $5million/month or $60million/year. That figure

doesn't include advertising revenue.

now what do you think it costs to run runescape per year? The server hosting can't be that much per year and paying

workers can't be that horrible either. I know i'm missing things that run up the bill but the leftover money could very well

be used to develop future content.

[hide=Jagex Finance Overview]jagexfinancialoverview2.gif

"Bear in mind that we do this with running costs that are sub £1 million a year," says Gerhard. "Which, if you compare it to something like Age of Conan which has costs in the region of £250,000 or World of Warcraft with costs in the region of £500,000,000 per year, puts things in perspective Our running costs are effectively 1/500 that of WoW!

[/hide]

thanks for the info! it took me a while to decipher the graph :lol:

@Draconic: Uhhh, wat? :?

4e0Vn.png