Why do we associate the Confederate Flag with racism?

The Dark Lord

I have noticed that many people, especially ones outside of the USA, associate the flag of the former Confederate States of America (also known as the "Rebels' Flag") with racism? I'll admit that I used to believe people who wore T-shirts depicting the CSA flag were a bunch of idiots. However, my views have changed as I better understand how some Southern US citizens feel about it. It has now become my view that while some people that adorn their clothes and other belongings with this flag are idiots, the flag itself isn't a symbol of hate. I have observed that it is now just a symbol of nationalism within "Dixie", or the southern United States.

For those who do not know what it is:

200px-Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg.png

What are your opinions about this flag?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The swastika also actually is a symbol of good luck. Nothing can really be done about an image when a group of people uses it in a negative way.

Oh, and was I the only one that thought the confederate and british flag looked very similar when seen next to each other in the OP's sig?

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

It's because the Confederacy supported slavery during the Civil War. They flew this flag to represent their united views, with slavery and racism being some of the most prevalent. The negative view expanded from that.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

It's because the Confederacy supported slavery during the Civil War. They flew this flag to represent their united views, with slavery and racism being some of the most prevalent. The negative view expanded from that.

It's not so much they supported slavery (though some did, I'm sure), it's more they felt they had the right to have slaves. When the North decided that slavery wasn't too good anymore, the South got p'oed and said that the North was going against their own word. Not willing to associate with a nation of hypocrites and people willing to put the South down, the South decided to secede and become their own nation. Hence Confederate Flag. The North fought the South because they wanted to keep them as part of the country, to keep unity (Hence them being called the Union). Had the South won, we'd have The United States, and the Confederate States of America. But they didn't. So yay Freedom! :D

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

What's this Civil War?

Ohhh, you mean The War of Northern Imperialism and Aggression Against A Sovereign Nation.

Had the South won, we'd have The United States, and the Confederate States of America. But they didn't. So yay Freedom! :D

The South had every right to secede, and they did so peacefully; the North started a war to keep them in the USA against their will. Does that sound like freedom to you?

By the way, slavery was NOT the main issue that sparked the Civil War. It was, in fact, a small part of the big problem.

People who think "Confederacy flag = slavery and racism" are idiots. It stands for a nation, nothing else. Similar to the American flag, with its colors and stars, to signify origin, but much different to separate the two nations.

I think it's a stupid way to portray Southern pride. Nowadays it just signifies that you're a redneck who doesn't know the true meaning of it, or what the Civil War even was. They're the kind of people that might say "the South'll rise again, ya'll!" It won't.

Yeah, I'm a Southerner, and yeah, this is the truth. But the winners always write the textbooks, right?

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

What's this Civil War?

Ohhh, you mean The War of Northern Imperialism and Aggression Against A Sovereign Nation.

Had the South won, we'd have The United States, and the Confederate States of America. But they didn't. So yay Freedom! :D

The South had every right to secede, and they did so peacefully; the North started a war to keep them in the USA against their will. Does that sound like freedom to you?

By the way, slavery was NOT the main issue that sparked the Civil War. It was, in fact, a small part of the big problem.

People who think "Confederacy flag = slavery and racism" are idiots. It stands for a nation, nothing else. Similar to the American flag, with its colors and stars, to signify origin, but much different to separate the two nations.

I think it's a stupid way to portray Southern pride. Nowadays it just signifies that you're a redneck who doesn't know the true meaning of it, or what the Civil War even was. They're the kind of people that might say "the South'll rise again, ya'll!" It won't.

Yeah, I'm a Southerner, and yeah, this is the truth. But the winners always write the textbooks, right?

this man speaks truth.

I had ancestors that fought on both sides of the war, for the majority of the south it was a matter of self preservation and state pride (as pride in the USA as a whole hadn't taken strong root yet). Most southern people didn't even own slaves, the plantation owners were the wealthy minority.

Racism itself was no worse in the South than the North and as a result of the economic problems in the south following the war actually got worse. The south was devastated, the entire agricultural system had been destroyed, and there were suddenly thousands of former slaves competing with whites for the few jobs available. Blacks ended up going from slaves to wage slaves as well as became a popular scapegoat to pin the South's troubles on.

The racist ignorant redneck originated in the years after the Civil War.

If you're denying that the Confederate flag hasn't been associated with racism, then you need a history lesson. For instance, in my home state of Georgia, the stars and bars were put on the state flag in 1956. It was to blatantly thumb their nose at the Civil Rights movement. The flag has also been waved at white supremacist gatherings like KKK marches and such. When many are talking about southern heritage, what they are really referring to is segregation and slavery.

It's not so much they supported slavery (though some did, I'm sure), it's more they felt they had the right to have slaves. When the North decided that slavery wasn't too good anymore, the South got p'oed and said that the North was going against their own word. Not willing to associate with a nation of hypocrites and people willing to put the South down, the South decided to secede and become their own nation. Hence Confederate Flag. The North fought the South because they wanted to keep them as part of the country, to keep unity (Hence them being called the Union). Had the South won, we'd have The United States, and the Confederate States of America. But they didn't. So yay Freedom! :D

Oh, slavery had nearly everything to do with it. The Republican party was started for the sole purpose of ending slavery. The North didn't wake up one morning and change their mind about slavery. They never wanted slavery. It was a compromise they had to make in order to get the southern states on board during the Revolution. But the North didn't have slavery. It became an ongoing feud as new states were being added to the Union whether they should have slavery or not, which led to the Missouri Compromise.

And it's no coincidence that immediately after the Civil War the Union adopted the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. The South was trying to do everything they could to slow Reconstruction, but they had to ratify these Amendments before being readmitted. Unfortunately, the South was able to "redeem" itself, and that's why you had nearly another whole century before the Civil Rights movement.

rssig2.png

If you're denying that the Confederate flag hasn't been associated with racism, then you need a history lesson. For instance, in my home state of Georgia, the stars and bars were put on the state flag in 1956. It was to blatantly thumb their nose at the Civil Rights movement. The flag has also been waved at white supremacist gatherings like KKK marches and such. When many are talking about southern heritage, what they are really referring to is segregation and slavery.

Oh, slavery had nearly everything to do with it. The Republican party was started for the sole purpose of ending slavery. The North didn't wake up one morning and change their mind about slavery. They never wanted slavery. It was a compromise they had to make in order to get the southern states on board during the Revolution. But the North didn't have slavery. It became an ongoing feud as new states were being added to the Union whether they should have slavery or not, which led to the Missouri Compromise.

And it's no coincidence that immediately after the Civil War the Union adopted the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. The South was trying to do everything they could to slow Reconstruction, but they had to ratify these Amendments before being readmitted. Unfortunately, the South was able to "redeem" itself, and that's why you had nearly another whole century before the Civil Rights movement.

I was going to post a long, thought-out post, but then I read this one. You, sir, just read my mind like it was a pop-up picture book. Well done. =D>

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

The North also had no need for slavery. The south was an agricultural region, it needed loads of cheap labor to pick their cotton and rice. The North was industrial. Taking the high moral ground was much easier for the North than the South since they had no economic reason to do otherwise.

It's easily proved by the racist behavior of the north immediately before, during, and after the war. Blacks faced just as much exclusion and hatred in the north as the south, and many black people lived better lives as southern slaves than they did as northern freedmen during Reconstruction.

The North did not start the war. The south attempted to succeed, and when the North would not leave their fort in South Carolina, the South fired upon them, starting the war. The North had every right to stay on their property, while the South was taking over every Northern fort in the Confederacy by force.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

The North also had no need for slavery. The south was an agricultural region, it needed loads of cheap labor to pick their cotton and rice. The North was industrial. Taking the high moral ground was much easier for the North than the South since they had no economic reason to do otherwise.

It's easily proved by the racist behavior of the north immediately before, during, and after the war. Blacks faced just as much exclusion and hatred in the north as the south, and many black people lived better lives as southern slaves than they did as northern freedmen during Reconstruction.

Oh, I won't deny there wasn't segregation and racism taking place in the North. Some say the reason why Castro became a communist was after visiting the UN in NYC, when the only hotel room he could get was in Harlem, and the only ambassadors that would visit him were not American, but Soviet Union.

Oh, really? So do you look upon this picture with pride?

kkk.jpg

rssig2.png

The North did not start the war. The south attempted to succeed, and when the North would not leave their fort in South Carolina, the South fired upon them, starting the war. The North had every right to stay on their property, while the South was taking over every Northern fort in the Confederacy by force.

technically yes, but even if it had not been for Fort Sumpter the war would have started some other way, the storm had been brewing for years. The blame for starting the war belongs with the issues, not the relatively minor match that lit the fuse.

technically yes, but even if it had not been for Fort Sumpter the war would have started some other way, the storm had been brewing for years. The blame for starting the war belongs with the issues, not the relatively minor match that lit the fuse.

Didn't some South Carolinian senator get beat down with a cane during congress? (or something to that effect). War was definiatly inevitable. And to address whomever quoted me saying that slavery was not the reason of the war, I didn't phrase it quite correctly. Slavery was of major importance to the war, but it isn't the only reason the war erupted. And yes there was a reason for amendments 13-15 to take effect directly after the war. The reason being to gain votes fo rthe Republican party. Or maybe that was one of the war sparks? I can hardly remmeber, I haven't looked at a history book in a good 6 months.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Didn't some South Carolinian senator get beat down with a cane during congress? (or something to that effect). War was definiatly inevitable. And to address whomever quoted me saying that slavery was not the reason of the war, I didn't phrase it quite correctly. Slavery was of major importance to the war, but it isn't the only reason the war erupted. And yes there was a reason for amendments 13-15 to take effect directly after the war. The reason being to gain votes fo rthe Republican party. Or maybe that was one of the war sparks? I can hardly remmeber, I haven't looked at a history book in a good 6 months.

No, the South Carolinian senator beat the leaving hell out of a NORTHERN senator with a cane.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

No, the South Carolinian senator beat the leaving hell out of a NORTHERN senator with a cane.

Cane of +2 Beating.

And to address whomever quoted me saying that slavery was not the reason of the war, I didn't phrase it quite correctly. Slavery was of major importance to the war, but it isn't the only reason the war erupted. And yes there was a reason for amendments 13-15 to take effect directly after the war. The reason being to gain votes fo rthe Republican party. Or maybe that was one of the war sparks? I can hardly remmeber, I haven't looked at a history book in a good 6 months.

Every reason the South had to secede involved slavery to some degree. Lincoln campaigned saying he wanted to stop the spread of slavery, meaning that new territories being admitted to the Union would not be slave states. The South was afraid of losing control of the federal government, because there was an even number of slave and nonslave states at that point. States began seceding as soon as Lincoln was elected. We can water it down and say it was about state rights, but specifically it was about a state's right to own slaves.

The 14th and 15th Amendments were to counter the Black Codes, which stated that African-Americans had to be in contracts of work, otherwise the state could auction them off to the highest bidder on their "contract". Though many African-Americans supported the Republican party, Republicans weren't winning any southern states. The relationship eventually eroded into pandering for their votes and nothing more until they pulled out of Reconstruction in 1877.

rssig2.png

kkk.jpg

What's your point? No, I'm not prideful in it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that I'm a racist.

It's not my fault the KKK took the Confederacy flag and turned it to meet their own purposes.

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

South Carolina still flies it on their state house grounds. It used to fly right under the state flag but a compromise with the NAACP brought it down to the front on its own flagpole. The NAACP holds a boycott of SC now because we fly the flag, oh well no big loss there. Really no big deal. Good or bad its a part of history, our history as Americans, and the south's history.

[hide=]00012C78.jpg

2002_SC_ColumbiaStatehouseWithFlag.JPG

470-0711NAACP%20BOYCOTT.ART_G40KKG2S.1+ConfFlag05.JPG.standalone.prod_affiliate.6.jpg[/hide]

What you see flying today is the "Battle flag" of the confederacy. It really did not represent the confederacy as a nation. The real "Stars and Bars" is much more like a traditional American flag.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

[hide=]

Oh, I won't deny there wasn't segregation and racism taking place in the North. Some say the reason why Castro became a communist was after visiting the UN in NYC, when the only hotel room he could get was in Harlem, and the only ambassadors that would visit him were not American, but Soviet Union.

Oh, really? So do you look upon this picture with pride?[/hide]

kkk.jpg

It's worth noting that statistically more KKK units operate above the Mason-Dixon line, and that there is on average less racism in the South today than there is in the North. I know it's hard to believe, but it's easier to people of any race to get a well paying job here than it is in the North. Notice the size of low-income "ghettos" or barrios in formerly Union states in comparison to such areas in the Southern United States. You will find they are much smaller in the South with a much more even distribution in wealth, which is sad considering how many illegals work down here. Hell, New York has an entire island for their minorities.

As for the picture, foolish people associate the battle flag with racism. On both sides. The flag itself was simply a replacement on the field for the real flag, as people had a hard time distinguishing the Union and Confederate flags on the battlefield. To be honest, the flag is used more for Larry the Cable Guy "Git R Done" bumber stickers than it is used for racism.

So who won/was the good guys in the Civil War? Nobody, that's who. The North imposed harsh judgement on the South both before and after the war and indirectly caused the racism that delayed civil rights by decades. The South started the war and defended slavery even if it was a small minority of the population that even owned one. Slavery did not cause the war alone, it was entire a matter of states rights that had already capped during the Jackson administration. Slavery was a rallying cry used by the North to gather support for the war much like how terrorists were used in our war against Iraq. Depending on who you ask, Abraham Lincoln was the greatest hero of our nation or it's biggest tyrant...and both were right.

The Civil War is one of the most tumultuous and difficult times in our nation's history to understand. Hell, it takes beyond a college education to completely understand the forces at work, and the causation of the war had been ongoing for more than a century beforehand.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

kkk.jpg

What's your point? No, I'm not prideful in it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that I'm a racist.

It's not my fault the KKK took the Confederacy flag and turned it to meet their own purposes.

My point is you should be careful who you label as idiots before you start sounding like one yourself. Really, that one was too easy.

At its inception, yes, the flag was simply battlefield flag, something to represent the seceded states. But over the years, it's been given the stink of racism.

South Carolina hasn't been flying the Confederate flag since the Civil War. They first raised it above the capital in the 1960s. As I said earlier, Georgia put the Confederate flag on its state flag in the 1950s. It wasn't to represent southern tradition, pride, heritage, etc. Southern states began raising the flag during this time period in defiance of the Civil Rights movement.

Just as someone pointed out earlier, the swastika has come to mean something entirely different in the West since World War II. Helter-Skelter was once just a Beatles' song. Then someone comes along and changes the meaning.

rssig2.png

There are black kids at my school with Confederate flag belt buckles. Pretty sure it's just a flag. Funny how generally the same people who say burning a flag represents nothing can say a flag flying can represent hatred.

I'm looking for my own Confederate buckle, though. Hard to find a good one, the circle ones dig into your crotch and belly, but the square ones are ridiculously huge.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

South Carolina still flies it on their state house grounds. It used to fly right under the state flag but a compromise with the NAACP brought it down to the front on its own flagpole. The NAACP holds a boycott of SC now because we fly the flag, oh well no big loss there. Really no big deal. Good or bad its a part of history, our history as Americans, and the south's history.

[hide=]00012C78.jpg

2002_SC_ColumbiaStatehouseWithFlag.JPG

470-0711NAACP%20BOYCOTT.ART_G40KKG2S.1+ConfFlag05.JPG.standalone.prod_affiliate.6.jpg[/hide]

What you see flying today is the "Battle flag" of the confederacy. It really did not represent the confederacy as a nation. The real "Stars and Bars" is much more like a traditional American flag.

As he said, it was NOT the flag of the confederacy. It was simply a battle flag. I did a 15 page report on how the Civil War shaped the way the South became in the last 150 years last semester and I can tell you that the Confederate flag is not a symbol of racism or hatred.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Simple, now a days proportionally very few people fly that flag with the intent of expressing states rights.

While the original meaning of the flag is its own comparison of racism and states rights; what we associate it with now is going to be a product of modern life.

Honestly, how many of you see rallies where that flag is flown with the sole intent of expressing states rights. Saying you are protesting against federal government(not a bad thing) but clearly being a racist doesn't exactly give the flag a reasonable rep.

As said earlier, its similair to the swastika. Should we all complain when the swastika is considered a symbol of hate just because it had an original meaning? Yes, we should teach the real meaning, but I think it is unfair to the modern day to say it is anything but a symbol of racism. While I'm sure there are people who signify states rights with it; the vast majority of people who use it at the least dislike black people even if they also cite states rights.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.