Dev. blog - Changing Names, 27 August

XxTearGodxX

yes! soon (hopefully) i can get rid of those god awful numbers at the end of my name and replace them with "er"

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like this idea when they first mentioned name changing but now I'm kinda on the fence. I won't be using it much, except maybe for one of my alt accounts that I don't even use. On the good side, hopefully there will be less of those stupid, unoriginal pker names like "00Pur3 Str00' or "xD4rk Kill4x".

Anyway, my sig is relevant.

myarm2.png

2819th to reach 99 agility - June 30, 2009

Rare Drops: Champion Scrollx13, Shield Left Halfx2, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Spear

43rd Member of XV Champions Club - 2/07/11 http://www.runehead.com/clans/ml.php?clan=xvchampions

im surprised no 1 has seen problems with this already....

it says they will make it so u cant have similair names as to impersonate someone

so pownage couldnt be impersonated by p0wnage imsure

so im just scared that they will make me change my name jcube69 since there i belive is a jcube..

but i would say that wouldnt be fair as i am the oldest jcube on rs ^.^ gaurnteed i started before feb 2002...so seniority should count 100% if u still play anyways...

and i want 69 in my name jcube69 is my identity hell i even have it engraved in big letters on my class ring right over the top

James_scholl.gif

This dev. blog has been the best read so far. Can't wait to score Morning or Dark. ;)

Except Jagex has said multiple times that day/night is not planned. Mod MMG reiterated that recently in the Q&A

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This dev. blog has been the best read so far. Can't wait to score Morning or Dark. ;)

Except Jagex has said multiple times that day/night is not planned. Mod MMG reiterated that recently in the Q&A

Look at his Forum username and Rs username... :thumbdown:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

My word... they use player usernames as the primary key?! It is incredible that a company filled with software engineers doesn't appear to have heard the concept of an unique ID number for each account as the primary key. If they'd done this in the first place, there would be no issues whatsoever. ID numbers are meant to be transparent to the user of the application and never change. Usernames are very poor record identifiers.

Consider the way phpBB is designed (correctly). All our usernames are not the unique reference to our ID. Yes, they are unique, but they are not identifiers. We have ID numbers for that... for example, mine is 189809. This number, in the Tip.It's phpBB database, references everything about my account, and is why username changing is easy and efficient.

As a software developer I find it as confusing. :?

Maybe some parts of the game use modules whom need fast access to the actual names (not id's), because if only the id's are stored it makes 2 requests. One to the corresponding module and one to a different module for the actual username. :?

Anyway, I like this update, I will change my name as soon as it's possible.

Good job, Jagex! ::'

the_xxzlx2.png

the_xxzlx2.png

We even found a number of extra benefits from this idea. With the display name separate for the account name, we werent bound by existing restrictions on name length, or the characters it could contain.

Caught my attention. If we could have two more characters in our names, I could make baller__player.

Hopefully I can use my old characters anme, "bballer".

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Wait, I'm a little confused. Won't there be a mad rush for names as soon as the update comes out? Chances are I'm not the only one who's going to want to change my name to Goon, will I have to camp for the update and be the first one?

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

This is a stupid update and a waste of jagex's time. I can guarantee you there will be bugs. No one needs a new screen name. First it will cause confusion all around. Second people already have nicknames for example no one ever calls me by "rustoid523". It always rust or rusty or rustoid. I almost never call anyone by there true screen name, unless it is something incredibly short. Like 4 letters. I'd rather see a terrible PVP update that crashes the market then this.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

There will indeed be a name "gold rush". Will you be ready when it happens?.....

Well, if they pre-announce it so that people who haven't logged in for a long time get a chance to rescue their name, perhaps so.

But it could really go either way, their track record points to complete chaos when it comes to this.

8f14270694.jpg

Dibs on Gertjaars!

Dibs on Mango. <3: (If I don't get it, I'm going to go for Don Quixote.)

This looks to be a good update, but as Jard and others have mentioned - why haven't they assigned an unique ID for each of the username? It is bad, but it could be possible that doing this would require a overhaul of the entire code. I remember my ICT teacher showing me an godawful database where the code was terribly written, with relationships all over the place, etc. He pointed out it would have been better to start from scratch with this, because sorting out the problems would have taken far too long to be worthwhile. Maybe this is the case, we don't know. However, from a purely technical point of view, I'd have liked the engine to be modular. Loads of work, but it pays off in the long run.

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Yes... Yes, that's what he said.

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

:D