Dev. blog - Changing Names, 27 August

XxTearGodxX

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=troacctid wrote]
I don't like this, I don't want people to use my account's name for their second name :( And I like my name the way it is, I don't want a second name, this is really confusing.

wat.

You don't need to do anything if you are happy with your current name. Just forget they are releasing this feature ;).

So other people can't use my name as their display name? But I also have to log onto my pures which I also want to keep their names =/ :wall:

Your pures will be in the same place as your main, then. Don't change their names, and there you go.[/hide]What I don't like is that I have to log onto accounts I don't use AS MUCH. And I think if I thought of the name first, I ought to have it.

Also, why can't they have a system like xbox gamertags, like have them pay to change the name, or something to that extent?

From what Jagex has said, you won't need to play on your pures at all for them to keep their name. Apparently they don't plan to take any chances and they only want to take the names of accounts that have never been logged into.

I'm glad I wasn't disappointed in Jagex with this update. Really happy they've thought about solutions to stealing names and the like. Kudos.

Also the last sentence the Dev says in that article, just gave Jagex huge positive reputation from me. Personal, comical, and laughing in the face of previous failures, thus signaling they can fix it and that they care, is such win. Probably the reason why I have so much faith in Mechscape.

Well I hope nothing goes wrong with this. I would hate for there to be a naming bug. I love my current name and won't be changing it. <3:

Since most of the single letter names are banned, won't they be available when the update goes live? GRAB BAG!

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Yeah, would suck if there was a bug where I'd log into my account, but my display name was something like Mtomali and I was confused for being a self-righteous loser.

j/k Omali :lol:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The day before this hits live make sure you remove everything you character has on and its all banked behind a pin.

I remember way back in the day the blizzard devs made a mistake on an update creating a naming bug. Basically all someone had to do was make a new char with your name but all in caps and the could log in as you and take everything. Not to mention use the same bug with their accounts and dupe everything. It was an epic debacle. If you were on the ladder you got hit. Its the one and only time i have ever seen a rollback announced and implemented.

Why take a chance, log out naked.

RS isn't case-sensitive, so for example epiccookie and EPICCOOKIE would be the same. And they usernames will stay the same, only the display names will change.

Anyone else think people will start selling "cool" or "rare" account names for rl money?

I agree with all of you who say: "Who the hell would buy a name?!" But we can't deny that some people will.

I already have a three letter name, aren't those pretty rare? ;) Oh, and I actually use it sometimes too, it's not just for fun.

Ever since making my current main I was adamant I wanted to change it, but almost 2 years later I actually like my user name.

Even though I found out after I made my account there was a Spyder_Sin :wall:

But Sin_Spyder sounds better to me, and it avoids the trap of random numbers at the end so I'm happy still and I wouldn't change it for anything, money or items lol :thumbsup:

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

I like the idea of being able to change names but i hate that they delete older unused account names. Some noobs will get crazy rare names like " zamorak" or "legolas" just because they were lucky.(and i will be jealous. :evil:)

I preffer the way it is now. Only really old players have rare names and they deserve them.

RWT will be taking advantage of this btw.

I like the idea of being able to change names but i hate that they delete older unused account names. Some noobs will get crazy rare names like " zamorak" or "legolas" just because they were lucky.(and i will be jealous. :evil:)

I preffer the way it is now. Only really old players have rare names and they deserve them.

RWT will be taking advantage of this btw.

There is no reason to keep old names in use when they're actually not being played at all. People should be able to use those names. And yes, then it's simply a matter of luck who gets those names. But it's not like it changes anything. It's just a name.

There is no reason to keep old names in use when they're actually not being played at all. People should be able to use those names. And yes, then it's simply a matter of luck who gets those names. But it's not like it changes anything. It's just a name.

If its just a name and it doesnt change anything why is there even a reason to free up names from unused accounts. Its just a name right? :?

The sad thing is all the rare names will be taken by RWTers that write scripts to check every rare name several times a day until they have most of them.

Yeah, would suck if there was a bug where I'd log into my account, but my display name was something like Mtomali and I was confused for being a self-righteous loser.

And to think, when I show you nothing but love.

j/k Omali :lol:

Oh you flirt.

emot-swoon.gif

On that note, i need to get myself realligned. I fell asleep watching House and woke up thinking it was tomorrow.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png