Tip.It Times: 30 Aug 2009

n_odie

The first article was good and some of the things on the list was pretty funny. Never read something like that before. I thought that it was very creative.

The second article was well written, though I disagree with some of the points.

Long version of comments about 2nd article, plus some random thoughts, notes, etc.:

The 2nd article had some good points, but I rather disagree with it. I personally do not think an "addiction" is a bad thing, unless somehow it can kill you (like drugs or something) and if a person is indeed "addicted" to a computer and plays a lot it shouldn't seem like a bad thing. I have played RS for a long time and I do not see anything bad happening to me. I probably would never drop school grades because of computers. There is no regret from playing computers because life would be much more boring without the Internet and computer games. I felt that the article might have been suggesting that playing on the computer (RS included) kills a person's "social life", as if it's a bad thing if played too much.

I have heard too many things about "computers are for no lifers" and this article seems to me is trying to prove that point (that was how I saw it, though it may not have been the main message). The description in the article made me think a bit (well written, though I don't agree with it), but I am certain that I have no regrets about playing RS, or any other game. I do not think that computers waste or take away the player's time, because I believe that there must be at least some time used for any type of fun or activity which must be done just so a person can live life. Life would really be boring if there was nothing to do. Sure, there are other non computer activities, but I think that the Internet is somewhat special, because it's: 1) Convenient, a player can have fun in their own home. 2) Less risks, because in the real world making friends with the wrong people can have consequences, while disconnecting the internet is much simpler. If used properly, the Internet is a very useful tool. A person can still have a "social life" on the computer. The Internet also allows access to people all around the world. 3) More interesting, on the computer, things that are not possible (yet) in the real world can happen on the computer. Not only that, I think the computer can be good stress relief. Yes, I believe playing RS can relieve stress. Doing certain activities can be an escape from stress in the real world. Beating other people up in PVP can vent anger without actually hurting anyone. There is a different world on the computer, and as long as the computer and the real world can be balanced, life can be easier, and more interesting.

Even if it is true that people who play "excessively" on computers are "no-lifers", then I think I will rather be "no life" than to be extremely social (I had past experiences). The title of "no life" doesn't have negative effects, anyway.

Note(s): I am not trying to insult the article or anything, it is just my viewpoint, and it is possible to understand that different people have different views. I do agree that stopping RS because of dropping school grades was a good move, because without getting a good job no one can afford a computer and electricity to run RS at all. I personally refuse to get membership just to limit playing ability during school years. The above was just random thoughts and arguments I had in my head while reading the article. It kind of felt like it was insulting my own viewpoints of gaming, though it probably wasn't the intention of the article. I just had to rant the thoughts somewhere. I can't stand it when people think computers are bad and no life -.- Sorry if I hurt anyone's own viewpoints.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to be addicted to runescape too, literaly to the point of dreaming about it myself, having the withdrawls from not playing, it eve got to a point so bad that i started ditching school yes it was THAT bad for me...

i dont think im addicted nemore as my playing times are a few hours a day every 2-3 days...

i think my goal of all skills 80 plus kinda wore me out, meh its a good thing to not be addicted

the only problem is im 20, dont have school or real life friends that live locally... got some clan friends that ive never met who live in same city lol. so for me i have no life and tbh i dont even know where to start in getting a life... i dont even remember how to make friends and because im adult its not like in school where you got an abundence of resorces for making friends.

dj_phox.png

The first article was good and some of the things on the list was pretty funny. Never read something like that before. I thought that it was very creative.

Long version of comments about 2nd article, plus some random thoughts, notes, etc.:

The 2nd article had some good points, but I rather disagree with it. I personally do not think an "addiction" is a bad thing, unless somehow it can kill you (like drugs or something) and if a person is indeed "addicted" to a computer and plays a lot it shouldn't seem like a bad thing. I have played RS for a long time and I do not see anything bad happening to me. I probably would never drop school grades because of computers. There is no regret from playing computers because life would be much more boring without the Internet and computer games. I felt that the article might have been suggesting that playing on the computer (RS included) kills a person's "social life", as if it's a bad thing if played too much.

I have heard too many things about "computers are for no lifers" and this article seems to me is trying to prove that point (that was how I saw it, though it may not have been the main message). The description in the article made me think a bit (well written, though I don't agree with it), but I am certain that I have no regrets about playing RS, or any other game. I do not think that computers waste or take away the player's time, because I believe that there must be at least some time used for any type of fun or activity which must be done just so a person can live life. Life would really be boring if there was nothing to do. Sure, there are other non computer activities, but I think that the Internet is somewhat special, because it's: 1) Convenient, a player can have fun in their own home. 2) Less risks, because in the real world making friends with the wrong people can have consequences, while disconnecting the internet is much simpler. If used properly, the Internet is a very useful tool. A person can still have a "social life" on the computer. The Internet also allows access to people all around the world. 3) More interesting, on the computer, things that are not possible (yet) in the real world can happen on the computer. Not only that, I think the computer can be good stress relief. Yes, I believe playing RS can relieve stress. Doing certain activities can be an escape from stress in the real world. Beating other people up in PVP can vent anger without actually hurting anyone. There is a different world on the computer, and as long as the computer and the real world can be balanced, life can be easier, and more interesting.

Even if it is true that people who play "excessively" on computers are "no-lifers", then I think I will rather be "no life" than to be extremely social (I had past experiences). The title of "no life" doesn't have negative effects, anyway.

Note(s): I am not trying to insult the article or anything, it is just my viewpoint, and it is possible to understand that different people have different views. I do agree that stopping RS because of dropping school grades was a good move, because without getting a good job no one can afford a computer and electricity to run RS at all. I personally refuse to get membership just to limit playing ability during school years. The above was just random thoughts and arguments I had in my head while reading the article. It kind of felt like it was insulting my own viewpoints of gaming, though it probably wasn't the intention of the article. I just had to rant the thoughts somewhere. I can't stand it when people think computers are bad and no life -.- Sorry if I hurt anyone's own viewpoints.

You state things like "as long as the computer and the real world can be balanced" and "if used properly." I think the point of the article is showing what happens if you DON'T use it properly. Not saying it always happens....but for some people, internet cuts into school/work time, eating time, sleeping time....And when that happens, and when you dream and get withdrawals from not playing, I'm pretty sure your addicted. But there is a difference between playing a lot of RS and being addicted to it and having it even get in the way of jobs and school and RL friends, etc.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I've never heard of that Skippy dude and his original list was not funny at all I have red it twice. The rs skippy list just didn't make sense and was not funny at all either and I can't even get how people can almost cry with laughter from reading that. So someone please explain to me what is so funny with it? I myself can also come up with wierd notes and list them so I don't see the fun in this.

The second article was somewhat good.

One of the least good Tip It Times in a while.

Sir_Nitram99.png

8 skills at 99: Herblore - Farming - Cooking - Firemaking - Woodcutting - Fletching - Magic - Crafting

The first article single handly became my favourite article of all time

As for the second one, yeah, i used to be adicted too, i also changed class and later on school to be away of fellow runescapers at school. I thinkafter 92fm+ all quets done i lost way too much interest in the game, i still like it thou, mostly to redecorate my POH and the minigames...

That second article is also a very very good point .... Not that it matters to me. Normally I'm limited to 1 hour per day on the computer (LOL) occasionally I get 2 - 3 hours but only 1 or 2 times per month.

wl4xhc.jpg - this may the reason behind the whip changes 0_o

Thnx to kaosmerchant for hosting.

Boeing125.png

You state things like "as long as the computer and the real world can be balanced" and "if used properly." I think the point of the article is showing what happens if you DON'T use it properly. Not saying it always happens....but for some people, internet cuts into school/work time, eating time, sleeping time....And when that happens, and when you dream and get withdrawals from not playing, I'm pretty sure your addicted. But there is a difference between playing a lot of RS and being addicted to it and having it even get in the way of jobs and school and RL friends, etc.

I agree, kudos to you 8112204 for being able to play normally, but it's not that way for everyone,

Also wanna point out that addiction of the mind is every bit the same as a physical addiction, maybe not as dangerous, but addictive nonetheless, the experiments and stuff that defined addiction (i think) are dragging on in years, MMORPG's and social networking with millions of people from your room weren't around for them to test on rats

Was the first one supposed to be funny? :?

Glad I'm not the only one :-#

It didn't even make me smile, I just got bored and couldn't even finish reading it - I even went back and tried again after reading the comments on here about how it was supposedly funny, maybe I'm missing something? :?

As for the second article, I found that I could relate to a lot of what was said, and it pretty much described me a few years back, I still play a hell of a lot more than is probably good for me (clocked up 10 hours yesterday, and probably going to do the same today), but I put sociallising and sport way before playing 'scape. If there's a chance to meet up with my mates for a kick-about or to have a good night out, i don't even have to think about turning off the computer and heading on out :)

Overall, a very good 2nd article ;)

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

I've still yet to understand what makes computers dangerous and why..One reason I don't think the game can have any serious negative effects is if a player truly likes the game and want to play it, they might just realize that they actually have to be alive and be able to afford an actual computer + electricity to play, therefore they realize they must get off the computer sometime and get a job to keep playing. I might have read the article wrong the first time, and I may try reading it again in a different view.

Humor is one of the hardest things to write, because you never know if it will translate in written form so that the reader "gets it", and like someone else said we all have a different sense of humor. If you are familiar with the original Skippy list and enjoy it, then you would definitely relate to this first article. I was actually surprised at how many enjoyed it, but I wouldn't expect nothing less from the author of the pet rock article. :lol: I definitely enjoyed the first one this week, and I hope Necro will continue to make us laugh in the future.

The second one definitely has its flaws in logic, but the underlying point is made very clear through the author's confession.

rssig2.png

I started reading the skippy list the first time and stopped after 5 lines. I didn't get it.

Then I read all those comments of people "laughing their [wagon] off" so I gave it another try. I made it to rule 13 before I got bored again. What am I missing?

I thoroughly enjoyed the first article, the second was also good (although not funny.)

Having not read the original Skippy list, I don't know if this one is based off it or not but I found it particularly funny.

89# Not allowed to beat out the 'In A Gada Da Vida' drum solo on a white knight's breastplate.

I've still yet to understand what makes computers dangerous and why..One reason I don't think the game can have any serious negative effects is if a player truly likes the game and want to play it, they might just realize that they actually have to be alive and be able to afford an actual computer + electricity to play, therefore they realize they must get off the computer sometime and get a job to keep playing. I might have read the article wrong the first time, and I may try reading it again in a different view.

For one thing, quite a few of these people would live with their parents, quite possibly because they are only 15...at that age, they supply the computer and the electricity and the food and the lodging and everything...And I don't know about your definition of "negative side effects" is, but on mine the phrase "grades drop" and shunning human contact for online contact is up there. Skipping school and work might not technically be addiction, but it's certainly a negative thing to do. And these things do happen.

And your statement

they might just realize that they actually have to be alive and be able to afford an actual computer + electricity to play, therefore they realize they must get off the computer sometime and get a job to keep playing
implies that humans think logically. If all humans actually thought like that, we'd be living in an entirely different world, one which would probably not be recognizable because it would have changed the development of the world and civilization as we know it. Probably in a good way...

I digress. But the point is that, for whatever reason, the idea that they might realize they need to be alive and able to afford a computer, etc, for whatever reason does not occur to people. Especially when they are in the middle of playing the game, as some people play the game as a way to ignore a reality, a reality that includes needing to stay alive and pay the bills.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I thought the article on the addiction was really good. I think so many comments on the article have overthought it. When he said addiction, he didn't mean necessarily one that'll make you sick when in withdrawals. It's simply a matter of whether you give priority to Runescape over other things or not. I think many comments above are simply trying to justify why they can spend sooo long on the game and not say it's cause the game has them hooked. -.- But that's just my take on it. Great article!

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

I thought the article on the addiction was really good. I think so many comments on the article have overthought it. When he said addiction, he didn't mean necessarily one that'll make you sick when in withdrawals. It's simply a matter of whether you give priority to Runescape over other things or not. I think many comments above are simply trying to justify why they can spend sooo long on the game and not say it's cause the game has them hooked. -.- But that's just my take on it. Great article!

Yeah, but if I go too long without fletching I get the shakes. :oops:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Well, I vaguely remember having a dream about name-changing last night. Kinda funny, although I'm not sure if I'm addicted.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

Well, I vaguely remember having a dream about name-changing last night. Kinda funny, although I'm not sure if I'm addicted.

You had a dream about an update that hasn't even been released yet. Yes, you're addicted. :geek:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

When he said addiction, he didn't mean necessarily one that'll make you sick when in withdrawals.

I was suffering withdrawal, yet another sign of an addiction.

The game would affect my moods at times to the degree where I would be extremely upset at my parents if something went wrong, or I would be the polar opposite and be unexplainably happy. These characteristics go hand-in-hand with an addiction.

His opening sentence was to define addiction, including physiological symptoms. I believe that was the author's intent, to make a case for gaming addiction through his own story.

rssig2.png