Change of Forum Software - UPDATED!

MageUK

Pure_MageUK, You mentioned other features. Besides the image upload and blogging tool, can oyu list a few more in your original post/pm me them?

Alright...

•  
    [*:3g4efkq3]A fully integrated calendar in the forum showing members birthdays (if they've entered their birthdate) as well as extra features, such as having TET events scheduled on the calendar.

[*:3g4efkq3]"Friendly URLs", as in topic URLs will look like this:

http://forum.tip.it/index.php?/topic/808547-change-of-forum-software/

Rather than:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=808547

[*:3g4efkq3]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

[*:3g4efkq3]Nested custom BBCode (think [hide] tags inside [hide] tags) actually works!

[*:3g4efkq3]This has inline topic editing, what this means is that when you hit "Edit" on your post (or in a forum you moderate), the edit box appears right there, and when you click to save it, the post changes in real time, you don't even need to reload the page in order to do it.

[*:3g4efkq3]Fast reply built in at the bottom of each topic page, with a full Rich Text Editor.

[*:3g4efkq3]An extensive polls system allowing polls with multiple questions, the ability to choose more than one answer, or just one answer, and also the option to have the votes public so you can see who voted for what.

[*:3g4efkq3]Multi-quote ability, you can check posts on the topic, then click reply and all of them will be quoted in your post for you to respond to.

[*:3g4efkq3]Private messages are saved as "conversations" which is like a private topic with just you and that user, meaning that you can easily read the whole conversation from top to bottom including your sent messages and their replies. The conversation can be deleted once you're done with your discussion.

[*:3g4efkq3]Generally giving Tip.It a more "Web 2.0" feel, and a more professional look.

[*:3g4efkq3]More intuiative than phpBB taking less time to get to grips with the features.

There's also a lot of additional features that won't be visible to most of you, for example additional help for our moderators/admins. You'll also be able to do things like report private messages and report a user's profile if they have a bad signature for example, instead of having to report one of their posts.

Sounds Great!

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also gives a lot more user options. Such as number of topics per page etc. Although I'm not 100% sure what we're going to allow users to change, there is a lot more potential for you to customise the boards then on the current forum.

It also has a lot of features that users have been requesting for a long time that were not possible on these boards. That's not going to mean we will use them but if we ever need to we have a lot more control over the board itself which should make it a better place for all people.

The new forum software is going to be fantastic. Just thinking of all the new features and goodies makes me excited. Plus this will now put Tip.it ahead of the other fansites and will introduce a lot of new features for the Tip.it Community. :thumbsup:

So, are we losing anything we can do now? Also, are the buttons to do things like post a reply or quote going to move?

The add reply button at the bottom/top of each topic is right aligned rather than left. The quote/reply button are in the same place. In this context, quote is multi-quote and reply does what our current quote button does (just opens a new post screen with that one post quoted).

Edit : And no, there's no functionality of phpBB lost, only gains on it.

So, are we losing anything we can do now? Also, are the buttons to do things like post a reply or quote going to move?

The add reply button at the bottom/top of each topic is right aligned rather than left. The quote/reply button are in the same place. In this context, quote is multi-quote and reply does what our current quote button does (just opens a new post screen with that one post quoted).

It's very similar to TIFBlack

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

None of my experiences with IPB have been good, but this looks very promising.

Will the emoticons be changing at all? I've actually grown quite fond of them :oops:

Everything that will be converted is listed here, just click phpBB 3.0

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/b ... hp#callout

And as you can see emoticons are listed on there.

The only thing I can see on there that might worry the users is forum passwords, but don't worry, that's not your passwords. Passwords can be put on forums so only users who know the password have access but as far as I know, we don't even have any forums like that so that's not a problem.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Will the emoticons be changing at all? I've actually grown quite fond of them :oops:

The only thing I can see on there that might worry the users is forum passwords, but don't worry, that's not your passwords. Passwords can be put on forums so only users who know the password have access but as far as I know, we don't even have any forums like that so that's not a problem.

Bad word filters

So maybe set ban filters for anyone under 18/whatever age and have the option to use or not if 18/whatever age?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Bad word filters

So maybe set ban filters for anyone under 18/whatever age and have the option to use or not if 18/whatever age?

Bad word filters in IPB work the same way in phpBB, they're forum wide and can be turned off for certain usergroups. But by doing this it means they can post bad words but everyone else can still see them. So it would be kept the way it is.

Will we be able to keep Errdoth's custom skin or have him make another (it wasn't listed in the the converted box on brainy's link)? I love it <3:

By the way, for people asking about features, here's a tour of the new software (I'm not sure what features will be used).

@Puremage, will you be enabling the reputation system? That looks interesting.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Sounds cool, is the conversion free?

No, because IPB 3 is not free software. Only very old versions of IPB are free. I don't think cost is much of a concern, however.

Yes, the conversion is free if you do it yourself (which they provide scripts to do), but we're going to pay them to convert it since our database is fairly large and it means the data is their responsibility.

Some clarifications:

- Reputation system will NOT be used.

- Profile view counter is fine, however rating a user's profile will be disabled.

- Display names will NOT be used.