Change of Forum Software - UPDATED!

MageUK

Wait, does this mean that forums on Tip.It will no longer use BBCode? I am unfamiliar with Programming mumbo-jumbo. The phpBB I can slightly relate to since I have seen my friend use it. And how has Tip.it gathered together the money to buy this new software(suite?) on donations alone?(at least that's the only source of primary revenue I'm aware of, anybody who can remedy that would be in my gratitude #-o.) Sorry if I insult anybody by saying that the only way that tip.it makes the money to stay alive is through donations, which I am SURE is not true. Sounds like a fun change anyways!

icer.png
QZ1B8.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBCODE will still be used - some tags like youtube - may change the formatting but will still be as easy as ever to use.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Yay I love you Tip.it admins. <3333

One question, will there be cool and flashy new forum styles? :D

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

from reading over the IPB site, some of the features looks insanely good, but I have a few questions.

Will you be using the download bit of the community package at all?

If the blogging thing is enabled, will we be able to fully customize the CSS on our blogs?

It looks like the gallery supports videos and such, but will youtube (and maybe other flash video) still be embeddable?

Will you be using the OpenID / Facebook integration feature?

Tk5SF.png

If the blogging thing is enabled, will we be able to fully customize the CSS on our blogs?

It looks like the gallery supports videos and such, but will youtube (and maybe other flash video) still be embeddable?

Custom CSS would be awesome o.O

Interesting decision to more from open source to proprietary. I will be a little sad to see the back of phpBB though, I've worked with the software quite extensively in the past and while I haven't really been involved much over the last few years i still followed all the progress.

Let us wait and see :)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If it isn't broken why fix it?

All the "features" or "updates" mentioned can be done on phpbb3 with Mods or tweaks.

I mean seriously you could tweak phpBB3 a little more and use a free CMS like Drupal with less of an impact.

I seriously don't see the need for this (on the forums atleast).

My 2 cents.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

WTF\FGSDLIF;ONDSFJKFA;ON;RMFOEFN'OERNEKF

YOU KEPT THIS QUIET

<3: :thumbup:

Hopefully we'll be able to change our username's too?

I'd also like to know this. I know there's a bug with usernames if they have an underscore in them and I'm curious as to whether moving to a new board will solve the problem. :)

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

In my experience the move of data from one forum software to another is not exactly flawless. While IPB might be better at handling the data when its there, don't expect the migration to be problem free.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Wow this sounds so great! <3:<3:<3:

The features you mentioned should make this a much more pleasant environment (for me anyway) And by the sounds of it should also boost its presence on the web, what with the Web 2.0 feel and the improved SEO (with those "friendly URLS")

Looking forward to see it up and running, good luck on the crossover.

Untitled-1_01-1.png

awcaddet2.gifawcaddet2.gifUntitled-1_04-1.pngsig-11716.jpgsig-11743.jpgsig-11744.jpgsig-11745.jpg

(Signature Work in Progress)

:| Oh well... I suppose it's better for Tip.it. I still like being able to modify the crap out of my forum software.

We still can, IPB has an extensive API.

I'm skeptical, will the forums still look relatively the same? I hate so many of the generic looking Invision boards out there.

The forums will have the default IPB skin to begin with (we'll add a few more of course), but to have a look what the default skin looks like, go here - http://forums.invisionpower.com/

Wait, does this mean that forums on Tip.It will no longer use BBCode? I am unfamiliar with Programming mumbo-jumbo. The phpBB I can slightly relate to since I have seen my friend use it. And how has Tip.it gathered together the money to buy this new software(suite?) on donations alone?(at least that's the only source of primary revenue I'm aware of, anybody who can remedy that would be in my gratitude #-o.) Sorry if I insult anybody by saying that the only way that tip.it makes the money to stay alive is through donations, which I am SURE is not true. Sounds like a fun change anyways!

BBCode will still be used, although a lot of it is new, for example there's a [media] tag which can show all types of videos rather than just the Youtube tag we have now. But the old BBCode will still work so that loads of posts don't get broken.

We do get money from donations, but also from advertising on both the forum and website.

from reading over the IPB site, some of the features looks insanely good, but I have a few questions.

The community suite doesn't include the download manager so that would be a no, we would actually have very little use for it anyway. You cannot fully customise CSS on your blog, they have to be bound by some restrictions in order to readable on all skins, but IPB has a little more advanced BBCode with options for different fonts and all sorts. We'd probably be mainly using the gallery for images rather than videos as with the amount of users we have, videos would seriously kill our bandwidth, but yes, of course youtube and such will still be embeddable. We certainly don't intend for the gallery to replace anything like imageshack or the youtube videos you guys use.

We're not sure about OpenID/Facebook yet, to be honest. They're additional features that are turned off by default, which we'd need to look into in the future, but the possibility is there.

Interesting decision to more from open source to proprietary. I will be a little sad to see the back of phpBB though, I've worked with the software quite extensively in the past and while I haven't really been involved much over the last few years i still followed all the progress.

Let us wait and see :)

While the forum software itself is paid software, the source code is not encrypted and we're free to modify it as we see fit, except for removing the copyright for example (there's a paid option if you want to do that).

If it isn't broken why fix it?

All the "features" or "updates" mentioned can be done on phpbb3 with Mods or tweaks.

I mean seriously you could tweak phpBB3 a little more and use a free CMS like Drupal with less of an impact.

I seriously don't see the need for this (on the forums atleast).

My 2 cents.

You're right, it can be added to phpBB with mods and tweaks. Mods and tweaks which make upgrading this board when a new version comes out absolute hell. The admins/staff didn't come to this decision lightly, but the benefits the new board brings far outweighs any costs of the initial upgrade. Also, the amount of mods it would need to bring it up to the standard IPB is at would mean the board would probably run horribly due to the sheer amount of additional stuff in place that isn't there by default. Mods/hacks for boards aren't always the best coded things.

Something else I forgot to mention, some people have always complained the search is broken, that it misses posts etc.. This should be fixed with IPB, and it will also integrate with something called Sphinx which should make searches far quicker, taking fractions of seconds rather than seconds.

And yes Thorstian, another reason we went for it was the SEO qualities.

Sorry if I've missed any questions.

Edit:

In my experience the move of data from one forum software to another is not exactly flawless.

Amen. Even just upgrading between versions can be an... Interesting process.

That's precisely why we're paying them to get all of the data across rather than doing it ourselves.

Well as long as our accounts are transferred without us having to create a new one i am happy, although the chance to "edit" your username may be a good addition for some people if it is included.

:thumbsup: =D>

Dracofragger.png

first drag drop (skirt) 21/08/06, second (spear) 29/09/07

Well as long as our accounts are transferred without us having to create a new one i am happy, although the chance to "edit" your username may be a good addition for some people if it is included.

:thumbsup: =D>

If my reading skills serve me well, I'm pretty sure this will be disabled on the IPB board too. :o

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous