Smoke Runecrafting ~~ Quick read ~~ 32-40k exp per hour

warrior5024

Gotta thank Antaeusfury for the original idea.

Well, natures are hardly profitable anymore, ZMI is amazingly tedious, and Tabs are fast, but annoying to achieve. Well, I remember a friend of mine when he first went for 91 RC, making lava runes. Looking at their current price, I said to myself "God no," but I researched current fire-combo rune prices, and found a very fast, relatively fun, un-used, and "new" method of Runecrafting.

Smoke Runes.

For those who don't have any idea what a combination rune is, it is simply 2 runes, shared in one pure essence. To create them, you need to go to an Alter, that is one of the runes you wish to combine, a handful of Pure Essence, already crafted runes that are NOT the Alter type, and a talisman for that type of rune. You use the specified runes on the Alter, and it will combine that essence with your pure essence to create the runes. This gives a nice chunk of exp, but you only have a 50% chance of binding the runes, and Talismans are expensive. This is cured with a Binding Necklace and Magic Imbue.

The binding necklace is an enchanted emerald necklace, which allows you to create combo runes with 100 success rate for 15 uses. Magic Imbue is a level 82 Spell in the Lunar spellbook that costs 7 Waters, 7 Fires, and 2 Astrals, and allows you to craft combo runes without the use of a talisman. It is suggested that you use a Steam Staff in conjunction with this spell, to save on runes.

Smoke runes are a combination of Air and Fire runes, which makes them rather popular among Inventory space conscience Pk'ers. They can be sold fairly quickly and give 9.5 exp per rune crafted. You either need to go to the Air Alter and use Fire runes on it, or the Fire Alter and use Air runes. Because of the Dueling Ring, Using Airs at the Fire Alter make the best option.

You need to know before you start:

YOU WILL MESS UP THE FIRST FEW TIMES YOU TRY THIS.

You will accidentally craft Fire Runes, forget to cast Magic Imbue, not-remember to re-equip Necklaces when they run out, whatever. You will make mistakes. Once you get into the rhythm, youll be fine. Dont be turned off if you dont succeed in the first half hour of crafting.

Now, onto the method.

First, you will need Binding Necklaces, Dueling Rings, Pure Essence, Astrals, Air runes, a Tiara (Fire or Omni), and a Steam Staff.

Here is how my bank is set-up for this Method, and my Inventory:

Picture1-13.png

Picture2-1.png

At my 72 Agility, I never need to rest/drink energies. It recharges fast enough when I bank, this method isnt run intensive at all.

When you are at Castle Wars, it is IMPERATIVE that your Dueling Ring has an even number of charges. If it doesnt, youll be stuck in the Duel Arena with no teleport. Also, Magic Imbue only last 15 seconds, and since trips are already very fast, I do not use any familiar.

When your Pouches/Inventory are full, you have your jewelry, and ready to head out, teleport to the Duel Arena, and run toward the Fire Alter. While running, go to your Magic Tab, ready to cast Magic Imbue.

Now, right as you are running for the Alter, cast Magic Imbue, switch to your Inventory, and use your Air runes on the Alter. It might help to use the F1 and F4 keys for magic and INV tabs.

The great thing about Combo runes, besides their great exp, is that you can empty your pouches as you craft, unlike normal runes, so do this while the animation is going on and, when they are empty, use your Airs on the Alter again. Teleport to Castle Wars, bank, and repeat. If jewelry degrades and needs to be replaced, do it as you withdraw your first inv of Essence, so you can store your Pouches and equip the Rings/Necklaces at the same time, and your second bank click will fill up your inv fully. If you start with a Fully charge dueling ring and necklace, your necklace will last you twice as long as a dueling ring, so you'll change out a Dueling ring every four runs, and a dueling ring plus necklace every eight.

Now, here comes the Maths and numbers.

A single Smoke Rune gives 9.5 exp, and sells for 150 gp.

Pure Essence costs 122 gp

Air Runes cost 11

Astrals are 138 a piece, 276 per trip

Binding necklaces are 690 gp

Dueling rings are 1698 gp.

Using Large, medium, and small pouches, I manage 41 Essence per trip. A Dueling Ring will last 4 trips, making it 164 essence per ring. Binding necklaces can be used 15 times before they disappear, and, since you use two per trip (with pouches) you get seven and a half trips from it. So 1 Necklaces = 2 rings, if you dont use pouches for 1 trip.

You get 164 Essences per Ring, and 310 Essence per Necklace.

You need 2 Astrals for 41 Runes, so 20.5 Smokes crafted per Astral needed.

If trips are 40 seconds (fairly accurate), that means 90 trips an hour. Since 1 rune makes 9.5 exp, then 41 runes is 389.5 exp per trip, times 90, equates to 35,055 exp per hour.

I've finally found a formula to help caculate if smoke crafting is profitable. It is fairly straightforward:

p + n/310 + d/164 + a + 2r/41* <,=,> S

p - price of pure essence

n - price of necklace

d - price of dueling ring

a - price of air rune

r - price of astral rune

S - Price of smoke rune

If this equation is < the cost of a smoke rune, you will make profit.

If this equation is = the cost of a smoke rune, you will break even.

If this equation is > the cost of a smoke rune, you will loss money.

*41 is the number of essence you craft per trip. If you craft more or less, change this number to correspond with your crafting number.

With better timing, Giant pouch, and practice, I expect this method could lead up to 4k Essences per hour, or nearly 40k exp an hour. This is a great method for those who cant stand ZMI, like me, but love speed, especially at such a low cost. Abyss, because of Essence and Death/Nature rune costs, isnt as profitable as it was several years ago. ZMI is very tedious, banking, prayer, Hp, and such, while this, even being a hard-to-learn method, is much more relaxed once you get the mechanics of the Combination Runes.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

An excellent guide, it's short and to the point. Maybe you could suggest other combination runes to craft? Or are smoke runes the only good ones now?

Also, I have a question regarding the binding necklaces. They say they work for 15 uses. Does this mean 15 runes? Or 15 crafts, as in the air runes being used on the altar is 1 use?

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

Nice straight-to-the-point guide, and like the person above I never completely understood combo runes. But why do you say talismans are expensive? Can you only use them once?

You normally use up one talisman per craft :thumbdown:

But with the binding necklace, you don't.

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

Please don't post on forums whilst inebriated.

Nice straight-to-the-point guide, and like the person above I never completely understood combo runes. But why do you say talismans are expensive? Can you only use them once?

You normally use up one talisman per craft :thumbdown:

But with the binding necklace, you don't.

No, Magic Imbue means you don't need Tallys. the Necklace just prevents you from failing (and the fail rate is 50%).

Terrific guide. I've been telling people for a long time to craft Steam runes for RC as an alternative. While Smoke Runes are not as fast as Steam runes, the profit sure makes up for it!

Now I can just link them to this guide, instead of explaining the process in each post!

Very nice work :thumbup:

EDIT: You can greatly improve the xp/hour rate. If you throw in a Giant Pouch and Lurker, trips take 50 seconds on average and you craft a lot more ess per trip. So instead of crafting 41 per trip, you could be crafting 59, which will greatly increase your xp.

You can therefore do 72 runs per hour, removing 2% for errors leaves 70 runs per hour, which in turn equals 39k xp/hour.

Compared to Steam Runes, which run a loss at 45k xp/hour, this is much better.

Also, I have a question regarding the binding necklaces. They say they work for 15 uses. Does this mean 15 runes? Or 15 crafts, as in the air runes being used on the altar is 1 use?

15 Crafts.

I do love me some combination runes. Sweet guide <3:

you lose money if you used air talisman?

No, because the spell Magic Imbue eliminates need for talismans.

you lose money if you used air talisman?

No, because the spell Magic Imbue eliminates need for talismans.

if dont have that spelll i lose money?

Yes

Very nice guide, I'll have to try this.

Oh and I made a Google Docs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

This automatically extracts prices of the items from the GE and does the formula to calculate the cost of everything, and what a smoke rune is worth and then does how much you profit per smoke rune and how much you profit per trip.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Crap i didn't read the previous post and made a google doc.... -,- :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

anyway:-

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... LZmc&hl=en

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

Also made a GoogleDoc awhile back

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 3dnc&hl=en

However, during development of it I discovered that the formulas in the guide are all dependent on the 41 ess/run figure. Presumably this changes based on level, and there are alot of variables involved in calculating for different levels (like time used and possibly casts/inventory changes/binding necklace usage) that I don't want to bother with.

So I'm sticking to 41 unless another widely used amount is out there. :)

• 2 months later...

A quick bump.

Thanks for the guide, extremely helpful.

Smoke runes are also currently 210 and likely to continue increasing in price thanks to today's addition of fire surge, which requires 10 fire and 7 air, which is close enough to the 1-1 ratio that I think they'll keep rising.

Also, I looked at both spreadsheets and they were broken for me?

EDIT: You can greatly improve the xp/hour rate. If you throw in a Giant Pouch and Lurker, trips take 50 seconds on average and you craft a lot more ess per trip. So instead of crafting 41 per trip, you could be crafting 59, which will greatly increase your xp.

You can therefore do 72 runs per hour, removing 2% for errors leaves 70 runs per hour, which in turn equals 39k xp/hour.

I've calculated this many times, and 1, I cannot see how you would get 59 essence per trip, unless you are banking more then twice per trip, which is unnecessary for such quick trips. 46 should be the max amount of essence for efficiency, 23 in inventory, and 23 in pouches. Even if it only takes 3 seconds to load a lurker with 5 extra essence, that only leads to a 1k exp per hour increase, something I don't find to be worth the hassle.

Well, I was going to bump this guide, as I was going to start RC'ing again, but apparently these new spells are going to make Smokes very popular, so thsi method is viable again!

Note, the google docs are broken, with no way for me to fix them as of now. Remember, the formula i provided still works, so long as you change the numbers to reflect how much essence you craft per necklace, ring, and trip.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Hey, I've got a questions.

The Binding necklace lasts 15 uses right? Well, don't you use 2 per trip? You use airs on the altar once, empty pouches and use airs on the altar again = 2 uses of airs on the altar...

so, how does the binding necklace last 15 trips?

otherwise, good guide. I'm only 51 rc, so I might actually do this. Awesome job

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

Hey, I've got a questions.

The Binding necklace lasts 15 uses right? Well, don't you use 2 per trip? You use airs on the altar once, empty pouches and use airs on the altar again = 2 uses of airs on the altar...

so, how does the binding necklace last 15 trips?

otherwise, good guide. I'm only 51 rc, so I might actually do this. Awesome job

Each one lasts 15 trips.

Hi if you're reading this you are amazing and I love you.

Maybe they'll release a bugless update for April Fools. That'd sure be a joke

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]Congrats, you reached the end!

Now go outside![/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]